Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg from ppa

Bug #1069133 reported by npp on 2012-10-20
This bug affects 439 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
ubuntu-release-upgrader (Nexenta Operating System)
New
Undecided
Unassigned
ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu)
Medium
Michael Vogt

Bug Description

TEST CASE:
1. Install a minimal Saucy amd64 (lxc container or VM)
2. Install software-properties-common if it is not already installed and enable xorg-edgers PPA:
  $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
3. Install the task ubuntu-desktop
  $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
4. Upgrade:
  $ sudo do-release-upgrade -d

ACTUAL RESULT:
Upgrade fails because it refuses to break the ABI of xorg.

== Original Description ==
Gets to the upgrade stage Setting new Software channels and the error window comes up on the Calculating the Changes part. Have got all security updates for 12.04 on and restarted but it still comes up. Using the proper software channels.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (not installed)
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-17.26-generic 3.5.5
Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu14
Architecture: amd64
Date: Sat Oct 20 17:16:19 2012
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64 (20120425)
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
 TERM=xterm
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-10-20 (0 days ago)

Sasa Paporovic (melchiaros) wrote :

Hi npp,

unfortunally the report lacks the logs needed for investigation.

Can you attach all files (one by one separated please) that you find in

/var/log/dist-upgrade

here?

I set the report in mean time to incomplete. When the logs are attach please set the status back to new.

Thank you for reporting and greetings

melchiaros

Changed in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
npp (neal-crabkey) wrote :
npp (neal-crabkey) wrote :
npp (neal-crabkey) wrote :
npp (neal-crabkey) wrote :
Changed in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → New
npp (neal-crabkey) wrote :

Hi all files now uploaded - there are numerous folders in there as well - let me know if anything from those need uploading. There was a file called apt-clone_system_state.tar.gz which was 650KB but wouldn't upload, the uploaded said it was an empty file, which clearly it isn't.

Cheers.

Sasa Paporovic (melchiaros) wrote :

On a glance it looks like you have shoot your in your foot.

An explanation - > o.K :)

In main log you can find:

2012-10-20 17:26:54,102 DEBUG examining: 'deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu precise main'

which properly gives a non official xorg

,

which gives the error:

2012-10-20 17:27:07,232 DEBUG Installing 'xserver-xorg-video-all' (Distro KeepInstalledPkgs rule)
2012-10-20 17:27:14,616 ERROR Dist-upgrade failed: 'E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.'
2012-10-20 17:27:14,616 DEBUG abort called

.

The apt.log points more to this.

You should be fine when you bring your system back to the official xorg, than or before deactivate all(!) ppa, and after this run the distribution upgrade.

The upgrader is not designed for handling all possible customizations.

greetings and good luck

melchiaros

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
npp (neal-crabkey) wrote :

Thanks, I've noticed in the software sources the xorg-edgers - I assume I must have added this when I was having a bit of trouble with a new Nvidia card.

However, I don't know what the PPA for the 'official' Xorg is - is it within the normal Ubuntu PPAs?

I've disabled the edgers one and tried to reinstall x but still not having much success. I wonder if it may be too much of a mess to resolve and just install 12.10 over the top fresh? What do you think?

BTW, many thanks for your help on this so far, much appreciated!!

Neal

Sasa Paporovic (melchiaros) wrote :

Q:However, I don't know what the PPA for the 'official' Xorg is - is it within the normal Ubuntu PPAs?

A:You do not need a ppa for the official xorg it is just in precise main.

Q:I've disabled the edgers one and tried to reinstall x but still not having much success.

A:You can try first to install the components from terminal, unfortunally I could not find nvidia specific, I have only ati/amd for know, but the principle components must be similiar(have a internet search please for nvidia):

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

Remove first the ppa from sources.list (/etc/apt/sources.list),

when you do manually you need

gksu nautilus

Sasa Paporovic (melchiaros) wrote :

Hi npp,

we have today a hugday and we go to all ubuntu-release-upgrader bugreports we have on launchpad.

Can you give us a answer if the workarround to switch off the ppa for xorg files is working(see the comments above)?

We need that info to decide what further on this problem.

summary: - Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade"
+ Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg
+ from ppa
Changed in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete

Hi, thanks for this. However as I was having difficulty, I just did a fresh install of 12.10! So, I'm afraid I can't really help any further with this bug.

Regards, Neal

On 21 Mar 2013, at 13:29, melchiaros <email address hidden> wrote:

> Hi npp,
>
> we have today a hugday and we go to all ubuntu-release-upgrader
> bugreports we have on launchpad.
>
>
> Can you give us a answer if the workarround to switch off the ppa for xorg files is working(see the comments above)?
>
> We need that info to decide what further on this problem.
>
> ** Summary changed:
>
> - Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade"
> + Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg from ppa
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1069133
>
> Title:
> Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg
> from ppa
>
> Status in “ubuntu-release-upgrader” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Gets to the upgrade stage Setting new Software channels and the error
> window comes up on the Calculating the Changes part. Have got all
> security updates for 12.04 on and restarted but it still comes up.
> Using the proper software channels.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (not installed)
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-17.26-generic 3.5.5
> Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu14
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Sat Oct 20 17:16:19 2012
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64 (20120425)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-10-20 (0 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1069133/+subscriptions

Sasa Paporovic (melchiaros) wrote :

o.K this was just for information.

I see this not as essential to handle this report.

Changed in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → New
Steve Langasek (vorlon) on 2013-03-27
Changed in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Triaged
Changed in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Dmitrijs Ledkovs (xnox)
Brian Murray (brian-murray) wrote :

From ubuntu-meeting discussion about this bug.

08:34 < slangasek> do you recall if we had any idea at
                   the time what to do to improve this?
08:34 < xnox> slangasek: as far as I remember the
              solution was to either (a) ppa-purge X-swat
              ppa before upgrading & downgrade to release
              or (b) upgrade with X-swat ppa enabled,
              upgraded to next one
08:35 < slangasek> right
08:35 < xnox> slangasek: at the moment, we disable ppa
              and try upgrade.... which does not work. I
              wonder if we can do an upgrade calculation
              with downgrading $core packages to release
              first.
08:36 < xnox> or at least say you have packages from
              these PPAs installed, would you like to get
              rid of them first, before upgrading?

Michael Vogt (mvo) on 2014-04-02
Changed in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu):
assignee: Dimitri John Ledkov (xnox) → Michael Vogt (mvo)
status: Triaged → In Progress
Michael Vogt (mvo) wrote :

I tried to reproduce this, but just intalling 12.04 desktop and adding the PPA and upgrading with the PPA packages is not enough to trigger the bug unfortunately.

description: updated
description: updated
akis (v-e-ganis) wrote :

Ι have a similar problem upgrading from 13.10 to 14.04
I was reffered to this bug.

is there a solution for 13.10 to 14.04 upgrade?

I reverted the Xorg,
tried again to upgrade
from terminal as well
as from the s/w upgrader,
when it starts calculating
it crashes and says the error above...

Hi

I couldnt solve the error, did a clean install.

Txs for your help

Enviado via iPad

> Em 19/04/2014, às 14:44, akis <email address hidden> escreveu:
>
> Ι have a similar problem upgrading from 13.10 to 14.04
> I was reffered to this bug.
>
> is there a solution for 13.10 to 14.04 upgrade?
>
> I reverted the Xorg,
> tried again to upgrade
> from terminal as well
> as from the s/w upgrader,
> when it starts calculating
> it crashes and says the error above...
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1309690).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1069133
>
> Title:
> Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg
> from ppa
>
> Status in “ubuntu-release-upgrader” package in Ubuntu:
> In Progress
>
> Bug description:
> TEST CASE:
> 1. Install a minimal Saucy amd64 (lxc container or VM)
> 2. Install software-properties-common if it is not already installed and enable xorg-edgers PPA:
> $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
> 3. Install the task ubuntu-desktop
> $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
> 4. Upgrade:
> $ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
>
> ACTUAL RESULT:
> Upgrade fails because it refuses to break the ABI of xorg.
>
> == Original Description ==
> Gets to the upgrade stage Setting new Software channels and the error window comes up on the Calculating the Changes part. Have got all security updates for 12.04 on and restarted but it still comes up. Using the proper software channels.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (not installed)
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-17.26-generic 3.5.5
> Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu14
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Sat Oct 20 17:16:19 2012
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64 (20120425)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-10-20 (0 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1069133/+subscriptions

Sander Hollebrand (sirfredman) wrote :

Hi,

I managed to solve this error and do the upgrade from 13.10 to 14.04.

If you have the Xorg-edgers PPA enabled you have to purge it first, in order to revert to the original config. However, I thought I just had to remove the PPA from my software sources and be done with it. That didn't work (which, in hindsight, is perfectly logical).

The thing I tried after that was using ppa-purge of xorg-edgers. That didn't work as well...because I removed the PPA from my software sources. Duh.

So, I just added xorg-edgers to my PPA's again, used ppa-purge to remove/revert and after that the upgrade from 13.10 to 14.04 went flawless.

Long story short: you can only ppa-purge stuff that is in your list of software sources.

Cheers,
Sander

Tessa (unit3) wrote :

Note that I just did a full ppa-purge, and the updater still won't upgrade my distro, so that's not the only thing that's going wrong here.

Kevin (kevin-vagen) wrote :

Right. When I went to remove it, I was told that it was not on my system.
On Apr 21, 2014 3:15 PM, "Graeme" <email address hidden> wrote:

> Note that I just did a full ppa-purge, and the updater still won't
> upgrade my distro, so that's not the only thing that's going wrong here.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1310274).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1069133
>
> Title:
> Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg
> from ppa
>
> Status in “ubuntu-release-upgrader” package in Ubuntu:
> In Progress
>
> Bug description:
> TEST CASE:
> 1. Install a minimal Saucy amd64 (lxc container or VM)
> 2. Install software-properties-common if it is not already installed and
> enable xorg-edgers PPA:
> $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
> 3. Install the task ubuntu-desktop
> $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
> 4. Upgrade:
> $ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
>
> ACTUAL RESULT:
> Upgrade fails because it refuses to break the ABI of xorg.
>
> == Original Description ==
> Gets to the upgrade stage Setting new Software channels and the error
> window comes up on the Calculating the Changes part. Have got all security
> updates for 12.04 on and restarted but it still comes up. Using the proper
> software channels.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (not installed)
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-17.26-generic 3.5.5
> Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu14
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Sat Oct 20 17:16:19 2012
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
> (20120425)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-10-20 (0 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1069133/+subscriptions
>

Brian Murray (brian-murray) wrote :

@Graeme - that may not be the only thing going wrong for you, but this bug report is only about the xorg packages from a PPA. Please submit a new bug report using 'ubuntu-bug ubuntu-release-upgrader-core' after a failed upgrade attempt as that will contain the log files we need to analyze the problem.

Tessa (unit3) wrote :

@brian-murray: I actually just did a normal "apt-get dist-upgrade" to upgrade my system, and that was fine. I have more systems to do today though, so if I run into any more issues that are non xorg-ppa related, I'll make sure to file the bugs.

Hi !

I face the same issue for upgrading 13.10 to 14.04... I fiddled around the repositories, and upgrade commands, with no success... Is there a straightforward process to get this working ? :/

Bye,
Yann

Jay (jayonhisphone) wrote :

This is what they sent me... And it worked great. Thanks!
Reviewing the files from your upgrade attempt you seem to have enabled
the xorg-edgers-ppa. This will prevent the upgrade as that PPA contains
different versions of packages essential to Ubuntu. The page,
https <https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa>://<https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa>
launchpad.net <https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa>/~<https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa>
xorg <https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa>-edgers/+archive/<https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa>
ppa <https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa>, contains details on
to
how to revert to the official Xorg packages. Thanks.
 Hi !

I face the same issue for upgrading 13.10 to 14.04... I fiddled around
the repositories, and upgrade commands, with no success... Is there a
straightforward process to get this working ? :/

Bye,
Yann

--
You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
duplicate bug report (1310737).
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1069133

Title:
  Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg
  from ppa

Status in “ubuntu-release-upgrader” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  TEST CASE:
  1. Install a minimal Saucy amd64 (lxc container or VM)
  2. Install software-properties-common if it is not already installed and
enable xorg-edgers PPA:
    $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
  3. Install the task ubuntu-desktop
    $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
  4. Upgrade:
    $ sudo do-release-upgrade -d

  ACTUAL RESULT:
  Upgrade fails because it refuses to break the ABI of xorg.

  == Original Description ==
  Gets to the upgrade stage Setting new Software channels and the error
window comes up on the Calculating the Changes part. Have got all security
updates for 12.04 on and restarted but it still comes up. Using the proper
software channels.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (not installed)
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-17.26-generic 3.5.5
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu14
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Sat Oct 20 17:16:19 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-10-20 (0 days ago)

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1069133/+subscriptions

In fact I tried :
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xorg-server
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo ppa-purge xorg-edgers
...
and at the last command gives this message :
'
Certains paquets ne peuvent être installés. Ceci peut signifier
que vous avez demandé l'impossible, ou bien, si vous utilisez
la distribution unstable, que certains paquets n'ont pas encore
été créés ou ne sont pas sortis d'Incoming.
L'information suivante devrait vous aider à résoudre la situation :

Les paquets suivants contiennent des dépendances non satisfaites :
 libdrm-dev : Dépend: libkms1 (= 2.4.46-1ubuntu1) mais 2.4.46+git20130910.58d00888-0ubuntu0sarvatt devra être installé
E: Impossible de corriger les problèmes, des paquets défectueux sont en mode « garder en l'état ».
/usr/sbin/ppa-purge: ligne 180: aptitude : commande introuvable
Warning: Something went wrong, packages may not have been reverted
'

I am not sure of what the good move is... :?

Hi Yann,

I was able to upgrade after runing this command
sudo apt-get remove --purge ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
Steve

Download full text (8.7 KiB)

@stephen-skinner on my setup, this results in the following error message :

yann@Tregor:~$ sudo apt-get purge ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
E: Impossible de trouver le paquet ppa -> which approx. means "Unable to find the ppa packet"

I tried again something with ppa-purge, and it results with the same message :

yann@Tregor:~$ sudo ppa-purge xorg-edgers
Updating packages lists
PPA to be removed: xorg-edgers ppa
Note: Not removing ppa-purge package
Package revert list generated:
 libcuda1-304- libdrm-dev:amd64/saucy libdrm-intel1:amd64/saucy
libdrm-intel1:i386/saucy libdrm-nouveau2:amd64/saucy libdrm-nouveau2:i386/saucy
libdrm-radeon1:amd64/saucy libdrm-radeon1:i386/saucy libdrm2:amd64/saucy
libdrm2:i386/saucy libegl1-mesa:amd64/saucy libegl1-mesa-drivers:amd64/saucy
libgbm1:amd64/saucy libgl1-mesa-dev/saucy libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64/saucy
libgl1-mesa-dri:i386/saucy libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64/saucy
libgl1-mesa-glx:i386/saucy libglamor0:amd64/saucy libglapi-mesa:amd64/saucy
libglapi-mesa:i386/saucy libgles2-mesa:amd64/saucy libllvm3.4:amd64/saucy
libllvm3.4:i386/saucy libopenvg1-mesa:amd64/saucy
libwayland-client0:amd64/saucy libwayland-cursor0:amd64/saucy
libwayland-egl1-mesa:amd64- libwayland-server0:amd64/saucy libxatracker2:amd64-
libxcb-dri2-0:amd64/saucy libxcb-dri2-0:i386/saucy
libxcb-dri2-0-dev:amd64/saucy libxcb-dri3-0:amd64- libxcb-dri3-0:i386-
libxcb-dri3-dev:amd64- libxcb-glx0:amd64/saucy libxcb-glx0:i386/saucy
libxcb-glx0-dev:amd64/saucy libxcb-present-dev:amd64- libxcb-present0:amd64-
libxcb-present0:i386- libxcb-randr0:amd64/saucy libxcb-randr0-dev:amd64/saucy
libxcb-render0:amd64/saucy libxcb-render0-dev:amd64/saucy
libxcb-shape0:amd64/saucy libxcb-shape0-dev:amd64/saucy libxcb-shm0:amd64/saucy
libxcb-sync-dev:amd64- libxcb-sync1:amd64- libxcb-sync1:i386-
libxcb-xfixes0:amd64/saucy libxcb-xfixes0-dev:amd64/saucy libxcb1:amd64/saucy
libxcb1:i386/saucy libxcb1-dev:amd64/saucy libxshmfence-dev:amd64-
libxshmfence1:amd64- libxshmfence1:i386- mesa-common-dev/saucy nvidia-304/saucy
nvidia-current/saucy nvidia-libopencl1-304- nvidia-opencl-icd-304-
xserver-common/saucy xserver-xephyr/saucy xserver-xorg-core/saucy
xserver-xorg-video-ati/saucy xserver-xorg-video-glamoregl-
xserver-xorg-video-intel/saucy xserver-xorg-video-nouveau/saucy
xserver-xorg-video-radeon/saucy xserver-xorg-video-vmware/saucy

Disabling xorg-edgers PPA from
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/xorg-edgers-ppa-saucy.list
Updating packages lists
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
xserver-common est déjà la plus récente version disponible.
xserver-xorg-core est déjà la plus récente version disponible.
xserver-xephyr est déjà la plus récente version disponible.
xserver-xephyr passé en « installé manuellement ».
Version choisie « 2.4.46-1ubuntu1 » (Ubuntu:13.10/saucy-updates [amd64]) pour « libdrm-dev »
Version choisie « 2.4.46-1ubuntu1 » (Ubuntu:13.10/saucy-updates [amd64]) pour « libdrm-intel1 »
Version choisie « 2.4.46-1ubuntu1 » (Ubuntu:13.10/saucy-updates ...

Read more...

Download full text (11.1 KiB)

The packages you want to purge need to be enabled. Reinstall the package
you want to remove, then use ppa purge.
On Apr 25, 2014 3:01 AM, "Yann Lossouarn" <email address hidden>
wrote:

> @stephen-skinner on my setup, this results in the following error
> message :
>
> yann@Tregor:~$ sudo apt-get purge ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
> Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
> Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
> Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
> E: Impossible de trouver le paquet ppa -> which approx. means "Unable to
> find the ppa packet"
>
>
> I tried again something with ppa-purge, and it results with the same
> message :
>
> yann@Tregor:~$ sudo ppa-purge xorg-edgers
> Updating packages lists
> PPA to be removed: xorg-edgers ppa
> Note: Not removing ppa-purge package
> Package revert list generated:
> libcuda1-304- libdrm-dev:amd64/saucy libdrm-intel1:amd64/saucy
> libdrm-intel1:i386/saucy libdrm-nouveau2:amd64/saucy
> libdrm-nouveau2:i386/saucy
> libdrm-radeon1:amd64/saucy libdrm-radeon1:i386/saucy libdrm2:amd64/saucy
> libdrm2:i386/saucy libegl1-mesa:amd64/saucy
> libegl1-mesa-drivers:amd64/saucy
> libgbm1:amd64/saucy libgl1-mesa-dev/saucy libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64/saucy
> libgl1-mesa-dri:i386/saucy libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64/saucy
> libgl1-mesa-glx:i386/saucy libglamor0:amd64/saucy libglapi-mesa:amd64/saucy
> libglapi-mesa:i386/saucy libgles2-mesa:amd64/saucy libllvm3.4:amd64/saucy
> libllvm3.4:i386/saucy libopenvg1-mesa:amd64/saucy
> libwayland-client0:amd64/saucy libwayland-cursor0:amd64/saucy
> libwayland-egl1-mesa:amd64- libwayland-server0:amd64/saucy
> libxatracker2:amd64-
> libxcb-dri2-0:amd64/saucy libxcb-dri2-0:i386/saucy
> libxcb-dri2-0-dev:amd64/saucy libxcb-dri3-0:amd64- libxcb-dri3-0:i386-
> libxcb-dri3-dev:amd64- libxcb-glx0:amd64/saucy libxcb-glx0:i386/saucy
> libxcb-glx0-dev:amd64/saucy libxcb-present-dev:amd64-
> libxcb-present0:amd64-
> libxcb-present0:i386- libxcb-randr0:amd64/saucy
> libxcb-randr0-dev:amd64/saucy
> libxcb-render0:amd64/saucy libxcb-render0-dev:amd64/saucy
> libxcb-shape0:amd64/saucy libxcb-shape0-dev:amd64/saucy
> libxcb-shm0:amd64/saucy
> libxcb-sync-dev:amd64- libxcb-sync1:amd64- libxcb-sync1:i386-
> libxcb-xfixes0:amd64/saucy libxcb-xfixes0-dev:amd64/saucy
> libxcb1:amd64/saucy
> libxcb1:i386/saucy libxcb1-dev:amd64/saucy libxshmfence-dev:amd64-
> libxshmfence1:amd64- libxshmfence1:i386- mesa-common-dev/saucy
> nvidia-304/saucy
> nvidia-current/saucy nvidia-libopencl1-304- nvidia-opencl-icd-304-
> xserver-common/saucy xserver-xephyr/saucy xserver-xorg-core/saucy
> xserver-xorg-video-ati/saucy xserver-xorg-video-glamoregl-
> xserver-xorg-video-intel/saucy xserver-xorg-video-nouveau/saucy
> xserver-xorg-video-radeon/saucy xserver-xorg-video-vmware/saucy
>
> Disabling xorg-edgers PPA from
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xorg-edgers-ppa-saucy.list
> Updating packages lists
> Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
> Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
> Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
> xserver-common est déjà la plus récente version disponible.
> xserver-xorg-core est déjà la plus récente version disponible.
> xserver-xephyr est déjà la plus récente version disponible.
> xserver-xephyr passé en « in...

tasgo (tiagospcatarino) wrote :

You can go to:

askubuntu.com/questions/451221/ubuntu-14-04-install-nvidia-driver

the last answer solved the problem completely.

@tasgo : I just followed the procedure explained at askubuntu, without success : the upgrade still fails with the same error message... :/

@michael-ransbottom : I suspected that, but even after adding the xorg-edgers PPA like this :
'
'
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install <package name>
'
'
... when trying to install the 'xorg-server' package, I still get messages like "Impossible to find the packet xorg-server".

HOWEVER I decided to remove the libkms1 packet, and then after reactivating the xorg-edgers repository, the ppa-purge seems to run ok... I will take you informed if I succeed in upgrading 13.10 to 14.04 after that... :)

akis (v-e-ganis) wrote :

I also did a clean install.

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 12:51 AM, Yann Lossouarn <<email address hidden>
> wrote:

> @tasgo : I just followed the procedure explained at askubuntu, without
> success : the upgrade still fails with the same error message... :/
>
> @michael-ransbottom : I suspected that, but even after adding the
> xorg-edgers PPA like this :
> '
> '
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install <package name>
> '
> '
> ... when trying to install the 'xorg-server' package, I still get messages
> like "Impossible to find the packet xorg-server".
>
> HOWEVER I decided to remove the libkms1 packet, and then after
> reactivating the xorg-edgers repository, the ppa-purge seems to run
> ok... I will take you informed if I succeed in upgrading 13.10 to 14.04
> after that... :)
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1309758).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1069133
>
> Title:
> Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg
> from ppa
>
> Status in “ubuntu-release-upgrader” package in Ubuntu:
> In Progress
>
> Bug description:
> TEST CASE:
> 1. Install a minimal Saucy amd64 (lxc container or VM)
> 2. Install software-properties-common if it is not already installed and
> enable xorg-edgers PPA:
> $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
> 3. Install the task ubuntu-desktop
> $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
> 4. Upgrade:
> $ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
>
> ACTUAL RESULT:
> Upgrade fails because it refuses to break the ABI of xorg.
>
> == Original Description ==
> Gets to the upgrade stage Setting new Software channels and the error
> window comes up on the Calculating the Changes part. Have got all security
> updates for 12.04 on and restarted but it still comes up. Using the proper
> software channels.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (not installed)
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-17.26-generic 3.5.5
> Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu14
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Sat Oct 20 17:16:19 2012
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
> (20120425)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-10-20 (0 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1069133/+subscriptions
>

tasgo (tiagospcatarino) wrote :

My bad,

If haven't done so, and if you still have the xorg-edgers ppa installed you need to remove it:

   sudo apt-get install ppa-purge

   sudo ppa-purge

the upgrade should then run smoothly.
After its done, if can't get into the desktop or if you only can run low graphics mode, then you should follow the steps on askUbuntu

casparvanster (casparvan) wrote :

tried this:

The packages you want to purge need to be enabled. Reinstall the package
you want to remove, then use ppa purge.

and it worked for me, great!

Giovanni (giovanni-tognoni) wrote :
Download full text (4.5 KiB)

Just I performed the following :
sudo ppa-purge xorg-edgers
and then the dist upgrade proceeded very smoothly. Thanks a lot for great advice.

-----Original Message-----
From: <email address hidden> [mailto:<email address hidden>] On Behalf Of Sean Tseng
Sent: 28 April, 2014 17:36
To: <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: [Bug 1069133] Re: Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg from ppa

Awesome. I will try that. Thank you very much!

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 3:11 AM, tasgo <email address hidden> wrote:

> My bad,
>
> If haven't done so, and if you still have the xorg-edgers ppa
> installed you need to remove it:
>
> sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
>
> sudo ppa-purge
>
> the upgrade should then run smoothly.
> After its done, if can't get into the desktop or if you only can run
> low graphics mode, then you should follow the steps on askUbuntu
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1313008).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1069133
>
> Title:
> Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg
> from ppa
>
> Status in “ubuntu-release-upgrader” package in Ubuntu:
> In Progress
>
> Bug description:
> TEST CASE:
> 1. Install a minimal Saucy amd64 (lxc container or VM)
> 2. Install software-properties-common if it is not already installed
> and enable xorg-edgers PPA:
> $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
> 3. Install the task ubuntu-desktop
> $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
> 4. Upgrade:
> $ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
>
> ACTUAL RESULT:
> Upgrade fails because it refuses to break the ABI of xorg.
>
> == Original Description ==
> Gets to the upgrade stage Setting new Software channels and the
> error window comes up on the Calculating the Changes part. Have got
> all security updates for 12.04 on and restarted but it still comes up.
> Using the proper software channels.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (not installed)
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-17.26-generic 3.5.5
> Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu14
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Sat Oct 20 17:16:19 2012
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release
> amd64
> (20120425)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-10-20 (0 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug
> /1069133/+subscriptions
>

--
You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a duplicate bug report (1312340).
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1069133

Title:
  Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg
  from ppa

Status in “ubuntu-release-upgrader” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  TEST CASE:
  1. Install a minimal Saucy amd64 (lxc container or VM)
  2. Inst...

Read more...

Yeaah I've resolve this problem with following command
> sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
> sudo ppa-purge xorg-edgers
Thanks a lot :D

Sean Tseng (seanaleo) wrote :

Works for me too. Thank you!

information type: Public → Public Security
Joshua Wyatt (wyattj84) wrote :

Worked for me too>>>:)

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Steven McCullagh <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> ** Information type changed from Public to Public Security
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1311360).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1069133
>
> Title:
> Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg
> from ppa
>
> Status in “ubuntu-release-upgrader” package in Ubuntu:
> In Progress
>
> Bug description:
> TEST CASE:
> 1. Install a minimal Saucy amd64 (lxc container or VM)
> 2. Install software-properties-common if it is not already installed and
> enable xorg-edgers PPA:
> $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
> 3. Install the task ubuntu-desktop
> $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
> 4. Upgrade:
> $ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
>
> ACTUAL RESULT:
> Upgrade fails because it refuses to break the ABI of xorg.
>
> == Original Description ==
> Gets to the upgrade stage Setting new Software channels and the error
> window comes up on the Calculating the Changes part. Have got all security
> updates for 12.04 on and restarted but it still comes up. Using the proper
> software channels.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (not installed)
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-17.26-generic 3.5.5
> Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu14
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Sat Oct 20 17:16:19 2012
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
> (20120425)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-10-20 (0 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1069133/+subscriptions
>

information type: Public Security → Public

If running ppa-purge xorg-edgers doesn't work, try the following:

sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-all

This will then allow you to upgrade from Ubuntu 13.10 to 14.04.

Thank you Steven. I was a bit more drastic. After purging the ppa didn't work I purged the whole graphic environment from the X-server on up. Then I did a CLI dist-upgrade and finally re-installed all the purged packages back. I had to re-install the Nvidia driver back and after that everything worked. The funny thing is that this happened only in one machine of eight with supposedly identical configuration.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
From: Steven McCullagh <email address hidden>
Date:
To: <email address hidden>
Subject: [Bug 1069133] Re: Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not
  determine upgrade" - xorg from ppa

If running ppa-purge xorg-edgers doesn't work, try the following:

sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-all

This will then allow you to upgrade from Ubuntu 13.10 to 14.04.

--
You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
duplicate bug report (1313080).
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1069133

Title:
  Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg
  from ppa

Status in “ubuntu-release-upgrader” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  TEST CASE:
  1. Install a minimal Saucy amd64 (lxc container or VM)
  2. Install software-properties-common if it is not already installed and enable xorg-edgers PPA:
    $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
  3. Install the task ubuntu-desktop
    $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
  4. Upgrade:
    $ sudo do-release-upgrade -d

  ACTUAL RESULT:
  Upgrade fails because it refuses to break the ABI of xorg.

  == Original Description ==
  Gets to the upgrade stage Setting new Software channels and the error window comes up on the Calculating the Changes part. Have got all security updates for 12.04 on and restarted but it still comes up. Using the proper software channels.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (not installed)
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-17.26-generic 3.5.5
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu14
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Sat Oct 20 17:16:19 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64 (20120425)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-10-20 (0 days ago)

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1069133/+subscriptions

Download full text (4.7 KiB)

All I had to do was remove certain repositories. Worked fine on 3 computers
with differing configs.
On 24 Oct 2014 06:11, "Bruno A. Regno" <email address hidden> wrote:

> Thank you Steven. I was a bit more drastic. After purging the ppa didn't
> work I purged the whole graphic environment from the X-server on up.
> Then I did a CLI dist-upgrade and finally re-installed all the purged
> packages back. I had to re-install the Nvidia driver back and after that
> everything worked. The funny thing is that this happened only in one
> machine of eight with supposedly identical configuration.
>
>
> Sent from Samsung Mobile
>
> -------- Original message --------
> From: Steven McCullagh <email address hidden>
> Date:
> To: <email address hidden>
> Subject: [Bug 1069133] Re: Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not
> determine upgrade" - xorg from ppa
>
> If running ppa-purge xorg-edgers doesn't work, try the following:
>
> sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-all
>
> This will then allow you to upgrade from Ubuntu 13.10 to 14.04.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1313080).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1069133
>
> Title:
> Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg
> from ppa
>
> Status in “ubuntu-release-upgrader” package in Ubuntu:
> In Progress
>
> Bug description:
> TEST CASE:
> 1. Install a minimal Saucy amd64 (lxc container or VM)
> 2. Install software-properties-common if it is not already installed and
> enable xorg-edgers PPA:
> $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
> 3. Install the task ubuntu-desktop
> $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
> 4. Upgrade:
> $ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
>
> ACTUAL RESULT:
> Upgrade fails because it refuses to break the ABI of xorg.
>
> == Original Description ==
> Gets to the upgrade stage Setting new Software channels and the error
> window comes up on the Calculating the Changes part. Have got all security
> updates for 12.04 on and restarted but it still comes up. Using the proper
> software channels.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (not installed)
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-17.26-generic 3.5.5
> Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu14
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Sat Oct 20 17:16:19 2012
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
> (20120425)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-10-20 (0 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1069133/+subscriptions
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1310737).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1069133
>
> Title:
> Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg
> from ppa
>
> Status in “ubuntu-rele...

Read more...

Leigh Godson (godsonleigh) wrote :

I was unable to start upgrade initially despite already purging the xorg ppa . I had to perform:

apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-all

This has got the process started for me

Hi

Please excuse me for this late answer.
To solve this problem, I installed gnome3 on my computer, then I
reconfigured xorg-server with dpkg. It worked for me.

I think that the upgrade to ubuntu 15.04 uninstalled unity on my computer,
I don't know why.

Many thanks for your answer.

Best regards
Matthieu Le Gac
Le 13 mai 2015 17:41, "Leigh Godson" <email address hidden> a écrit :

> I was unable to start upgrade initially despite already purging the xorg
> ppa . I had to perform:
>
> apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-all
>
>
> This has got the process started for me
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1450189).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1069133
>
> Title:
> Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg
> from ppa
>
> Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader package in Ubuntu:
> In Progress
> Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader package in Nexenta Operating System:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> TEST CASE:
> 1. Install a minimal Saucy amd64 (lxc container or VM)
> 2. Install software-properties-common if it is not already installed and
> enable xorg-edgers PPA:
> $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
> 3. Install the task ubuntu-desktop
> $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
> 4. Upgrade:
> $ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
>
> ACTUAL RESULT:
> Upgrade fails because it refuses to break the ABI of xorg.
>
> == Original Description ==
> Gets to the upgrade stage Setting new Software channels and the error
> window comes up on the Calculating the Changes part. Have got all security
> updates for 12.04 on and restarted but it still comes up. Using the proper
> software channels.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (not installed)
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-17.26-generic 3.5.5
> Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu14
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Sat Oct 20 17:16:19 2012
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
> (20120425)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-10-20 (0 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1069133/+subscriptions
>

Thank you Leigh.
I have upgrade to the Ubuntu15.04 without problem.
Sincerely,

Martin

2015-05-13 12:34 GMT-03:00 Leigh Godson <email address hidden>:

> I was unable to start upgrade initially despite already purging the xorg
> ppa . I had to perform:
>
> apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-all
>
>
> This has got the process started for me
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1317280).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1069133
>
> Title:
> Get upgrade error 12.04 - 12.10 "Could not determine upgrade" - xorg
> from ppa
>
> Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader package in Ubuntu:
> In Progress
> Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader package in Nexenta Operating System:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> TEST CASE:
> 1. Install a minimal Saucy amd64 (lxc container or VM)
> 2. Install software-properties-common if it is not already installed and
> enable xorg-edgers PPA:
> $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
> 3. Install the task ubuntu-desktop
> $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
> 4. Upgrade:
> $ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
>
> ACTUAL RESULT:
> Upgrade fails because it refuses to break the ABI of xorg.
>
> == Original Description ==
> Gets to the upgrade stage Setting new Software channels and the error
> window comes up on the Calculating the Changes part. Have got all security
> updates for 12.04 on and restarted but it still comes up. Using the proper
> software channels.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (not installed)
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-17.26-generic 3.5.5
> Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu14
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Sat Oct 20 17:16:19 2012
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
> (20120425)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-10-20 (0 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1069133/+subscriptions
>

--
Dr Martín Radrizzani
Laboratorio de Neuro y Citogenética Molecular,
Escuela de Ciencia y Tecnología
Universidad Nacional de San Martín
Avda. Gral Paz 5445 .Predio del INTI- Ed.#23
San Martín (1650). Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Tel:(54-11) 4755-8128 fax: 4580-7296int 107
<email address hidden>

Changed in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Triaged
Enigma (enigma0) wrote :

Damn... how many duplicates have to get created before this gets fixed...

Radovich (radovic1985-u) wrote :

Thank you Brian, I reinstalled Xenial using Dell ISO without adding unofficial repos for Xorg and upgraded to Bionic on my preinstalled Dell Inspiron. Works like a charm.

Regards,
Aleksandar

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers