Whole system freeze after safely remove external usb drive

Bug #811745 reported by Eric Chen on 2011-07-17
216
This bug affects 40 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned
Lucid
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

OS: Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS
Kernel: 2.6.32-33 upgraded usnig official Ubuntu package
description: Upgrading the kernel to 2.6.32-33 yesterday morning, and got no problem using my laptop until
about 11pm, after I ejected my external usb drive, the whole system freeze, no response from keyboard, mouse, and even the system clock on the panel stop updating(it freeze at the time of ejecting usb drive). Falling back to kernel 2.6.32.32 solve the problem so I assumed there are some issues in the lastest kernel. This bug is repeatable on my Asus M51va laptop.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
Package: linux-image-2.6.32-32-generic-pae 2.6.32-32.62
Regression: Yes
Reproducible: Yes
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-32.62-genusername-pae 2.6.32.38+drm33.16
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-32-generic-pae i686
NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
Architecture: i386
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC0: eric 1758 F.... pulseaudio
CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] 沒有此一檔案或目錄
Card0.Amixer.info:
 Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xfdef8000 irq 22'
   Mixer name : 'Realtek ALC663'
   Components : 'HDA:10ec0663,10431878,00100001 HDA:10573055,10431316,00100700'
   Controls : 16
   Simple ctrls : 9
Card1.Amixer.info:
 Card hw:1 'HDMI'/'HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfdfec000 irq 17'
   Mixer name : 'ATI R6xx HDMI'
   Components : 'HDA:1002aa01,00aa0100,00100000'
   Controls : 4
   Simple ctrls : 1
Card1.Amixer.values:
 Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
   Playback channels: Mono
   Mono: Playback [on]
Date: Sun Jul 17 10:02:21 2011
HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=6332cbb4-4548-4b11-8ec0-bd496fe6cd3e
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
MachineType: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. M51Va
ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-2.6.32-32-genusername-pae root=UUID=48ac84e3-5361-4c27-b339-7c2648d21ae4 ro quiet splash
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=zh_TW:zh
 LANG=zh_TW.utf8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
RelatedPackageVersions: linux-firmware 1.34.7
RfKill:
 0: phy0: Wireless LAN
  Soft blocked: no
  Hard blocked: yes
SourcePackage: linux
dmi.bios.date: 07/11/2008
dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
dmi.bios.version: 206.000
dmi.board.asset.tag: ATN12345678901234567
dmi.board.name: M51Va
dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
dmi.board.version: 1.0
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: ATN12345678901234567
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
dmi.chassis.version: 1.0
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr206.000:bd07/11/2008:svnASUSTeKComputerInc.:pnM51Va:pvr1.0:rvnASUSTeKComputerInc.:rnM51Va:rvr1.0:cvnASUSTeKComputerInc.:ct10:cvr1.0:
dmi.product.name: M51Va
dmi.product.version: 1.0
dmi.sys.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Eric Chen (boyoffeeling) wrote :
Clara (claracagigal) wrote :
Download full text (3.2 KiB)

Same behaviour in my hp compaq 6720s laptop using kernel 2.6.32-33-generic. When I right click to remove usb harddrive in the safely way, computer crash enterely, screen remains freezed and computer don't respond to Ctrl +Alt + prn screen RESUIB, neither ctrl+alt+f1 to f6. I have to do a hard reset turning off the computer with the button.

I also am sure is the new kernel, with last kernel 2.6.32-32-generic, the usb hard drive could be esaily removed without a crash.

events in syslog give:

Jul 18 09:41:34 clara1 kernel: [12784.204081] usb 2-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Jul 18 09:41:34 clara1 kernel: [12784.337375] usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Jul 18 09:41:34 clara1 kernel: [12784.591000] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Jul 18 09:41:34 clara1 kernel: [12784.594250] scsi5 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Jul 18 09:41:34 clara1 kernel: [12784.594606] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
Jul 18 09:41:34 clara1 kernel: [12784.594614] USB Mass Storage support registered.
Jul 18 09:41:34 clara1 kernel: [12784.602129] usb-storage: device found at 3
Jul 18 09:41:34 clara1 kernel: [12784.602133] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
Jul 18 09:41:39 clara1 kernel: [12789.600414] usb-storage: device scan complete
Jul 18 09:41:39 clara1 kernel: [12789.600973] scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access ST350082 0AS PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 CCS
Jul 18 09:41:39 clara1 kernel: [12789.602338] sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
Jul 18 09:41:39 clara1 kernel: [12789.603970] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] 976773168 512-byte logical blocks: (500 GB/465 GiB)
Jul 18 09:41:39 clara1 kernel: [12789.608382] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Jul 18 09:41:39 clara1 kernel: [12789.608392] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 34 00 00 00
Jul 18 09:41:39 clara1 kernel: [12789.608399] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jul 18 09:41:39 clara1 kernel: [12789.610645] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jul 18 09:41:40 clara1 kernel: [12789.610656] sdb: sdb1
Jul 18 09:41:40 clara1 kernel: [12789.628015] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jul 18 09:41:40 clara1 kernel: [12789.628027] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk
Jul 18 09:41:44 clara1 ntfs-3g[12134]: Version 2010.3.6 external FUSE 28
Jul 18 09:41:44 clara1 ntfs-3g[12134]: Mounted /dev/sdb1 (Read-Write, label "IOMEGA_HDD", NTFS 3.1)
Jul 18 09:41:44 clara1 ntfs-3g[12134]: Cmdline options: rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077
Jul 18 09:41:44 clara1 ntfs-3g[12134]: Mount options: rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,silent,allow_other,nonempty,relatime,fsname=/dev/sdb1,blkdev,blksize=512,default_permissions
Jul 18 09:41:44 clara1 ntfs-3g[12134]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1
Jul 18 09:47:05 clara1 kernel: imklog 4.2.0, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
Jul 18 09:47:05 clara1 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="4.2.0" x-pid="944" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] (re)start
Jul 18 09:47:05 clara1 rsyslogd: rsyslogd's groupid changed to 102
Jul 18 09:47:05 clara1 rsyslogd: rsyslogd's userid changed to 101
Jul 18 09:...

Read more...

dvdtree (dvd-z) wrote :

Hi all,

this bug affects me too. Same behaviour described above.
I've a HP NX6325 (AMD 64x2 Turion TL60).

If you need some log file...please tell me how to get it.
I'll use 2.6.32-32-generic till the problem get solved.
Thanks for any help.
D

Uschiekid (koalababies-r-us) wrote :

This bug affects me as well. Unfortunately I had cleared the older kernel 2.6.32-32-generic with Ubuntu Tweak before I realised this problem and that it was associated with the new kernel. I don't know how to get the older kernel 2.6.32-32-generic back onto my computer.

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-CR92HS and a Toshiba Canvio Plus 1TB.

Hope this gets solved quickly, or at least some one will help me get the old kernel back.

I can confirm the same problem happening on a Thinkpad X61 running a fully-updated 10.04. As other users have confirmed, rolling the kernel back to 2.6.32-32 fixes the problem.

I have noticed that the crash doesn't happen with ALL external usb stroage. My PSPgo does not trigger the crash. My WD Elements 3.5" external 1.5TB drive formatted NTFS does not trigger the crash, but two 2.5" WD Elements drives (320GB abd 500GB - formatted NTFS) both crash the system when "removed safely".

Let me know if there's any more info I can provide.

@Uschiekid : You probably still have the older kernel installed. One way to use a different kernel is to use Startup Manager to select the old one to boot from. If you don't already have it installed, install the package "startupmanager" from either Synaptic or the command line, then run it from the System/Administration menu. A window will come up where you can select the default kernel to boot into. Select 2.6.32-32 - the one that DOESN'T end with "recovery mode", close, and reboot.

@Uschiekid Sorry - didn't see you had already deleted the old kernel. Have you tried just installing the older linux-image-2.6.32-32-generic-pae from synaptic?

Uschiekid (koalababies-r-us) wrote :

@ Rick -- Thanks! Actually both your comments ended up helping! Since I could do the 1st suggestion after doing your 2nd suggestion. Works perfectly, and now I don't have to shutdown to disconnect my external drive until this bug gets fixed. Awesome.
Very helpful for my overall learning as well, since I'm still pretty much a newbie and don't bother learning how to do something until I encounter a bug :-p

Eric Chen (boyoffeeling) wrote :

@ Rick The external drive that I'm using is also a 2.5'' Transcend StoreJet 25C(500G) formatted in NTFS, so I think it might not be a coincidence that safely remove won't work on both 2.5'' NTFS drives. Does anyone else experience the freeze using 2.5'' external hd formatted in NTFS?

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Charles Malaheenee (malaheenee) wrote :

I confirm the same problem happening on a Asus F3Sr running a fully-updated 10.04.2. System freeze after safely remove Transcend StoreJet 25 mobile (320G, NTFS). As other users have confirmed, rolling the kernel back to 2.6.32-32 fixes the problem. Temporary decision if you want use kernel 2.6.32-33 - using Gnome applet "Disk mounting" (I'm not sure in name of this applet, beacuse I use Russian locale).

Eric Chen (boyoffeeling) on 2011-07-19
description: updated
swwei (steveswwei) wrote :

I've got exactly the same problem!
My laptop is Compag 610

Myk Dowling (politas) wrote :

Also happening for me on a Dell Studio 15

Andrei_FI (andrei-fi) wrote :

Hello.

I had same issue just after updating to linux-image-2.6.32-33-generic.

Tested with few external HDD, same effect, doesn't matter have HDD power supply or take power via USB.

Rollback to 2.6.32-32, HDD "safely remove" works fine.

Peterbeter (petervanbeek-vet) wrote :

Same here with Medion Desktop PC and Samsung extern hard disk (USB).
From the day I updated to Kernel 2.6.32-33, using ¨safe remove¨ results in complete crash of Ubuntu 10.04.2.
Mouse and keyboard (also USB) are instantly unuseable.
I presume some problem in USB handling?

Myk Dowling (politas) wrote :

I have confirmed that unmounting the filesystems before safely removing the drive prevents. The lock-up.

Andres (andyhelloween) wrote :

I'm experiencing this as well, on my HP DV6 and also roll back to 2.6.32-32 solved the issue for the time being.

weber (jacqweber) wrote :

Same problem when upgrading Ubuntu 10.04.2 to kernel 2.6.32-33 on two laptops : HP-Compaq 6715b (AMD 64) and IBM/lenovo T43 (Intel 32). Two hardwares very different.

weber (jacqweber) wrote :

Precision : the freeze occurs when removing an external drive Western Digital My Passport Essential 500 Go / USB 2.0

Alex Moldovan (alexmoldovan) wrote :

I can't reproduce the bug using the 2.6.32-33-generic #70-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 7 21:09:46 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux. I have tried 4 different USB keys and one external 500GB drive. Could be a hardware related issue.

nbl (nblouveton) wrote :

Affect me with a : IOMega 320 Go [ SAMSUNG HM320JI ] unmounting a NTFS file system.

Download full text (3.5 KiB)

Here the ext USB harddisk is a Samsung Story (1,5Tb)

2011/7/25 nbl <email address hidden>

> Affect me with a : IOMega 320 Go [ SAMSUNG HM320JI ] unmounting a NTFS
> file system.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/811745
>
> Title:
> Whole system freeze after safely remove external usb drive
>
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> OS: Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS
> Kernel: 2.6.32-33 upgraded usnig official Ubuntu package
> description: Upgrading the kernel to 2.6.32-33 yesterday morning, and got
> no problem using my laptop until
> about 11pm, after I ejected my external usb drive, the whole system
> freeze, no response from keyboard, mouse, and even the system clock on the
> panel stop updating(it freeze at the time of ejecting usb drive). Falling
> back to kernel 2.6.32.32 solve the problem so I assumed there are some
> issues in the lastest kernel. This bug is repeatable on my Asus M51va
> laptop.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
> Package: linux-image-2.6.32-32-generic-pae 2.6.32-32.62
> Regression: Yes
> Reproducible: Yes
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-32.62-genusername-pae
> 2.6.32.38+drm33.16
> Uname: Linux 2.6.32-32-generic-pae i686
> NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
> AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
> Architecture: i386
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0: eric 1758 F.... pulseaudio
> CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] 沒有此一檔案或目錄
> Card0.Amixer.info:
> Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xfdef8000 irq 22'
> Mixer name : 'Realtek ALC663'
> Components : 'HDA:10ec0663,10431878,00100001
> HDA:10573055,10431316,00100700'
> Controls : 16
> Simple ctrls : 9
> Card1.Amixer.info:
> Card hw:1 'HDMI'/'HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfdfec000 irq 17'
> Mixer name : 'ATI R6xx HDMI'
> Components : 'HDA:1002aa01,00aa0100,00100000'
> Controls : 4
> Simple ctrls : 1
> Card1.Amixer.values:
> Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
> Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
> Playback channels: Mono
> Mono: Playback [on]
> Date: Sun Jul 17 10:02:21 2011
> HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=6332cbb4-4548-4b11-8ec0-bd496fe6cd3e
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
> MachineType: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. M51Va
> ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-2.6.32-32-genusername-pae
> root=UUID=48ac84e3-5361-4c27-b339-7c2648d21ae4 ro quiet splash
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=zh_TW:zh
> LANG=zh_TW.utf8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> RelatedPackageVersions: linux-firmware 1.34.7
> RfKill:
> 0: phy0: Wireless LAN
> Soft blocked: no
> Hard blocked: yes
> SourcePackage: linux
> dmi.bios.date: 07/11/2008
> dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
> dmi.bios.version: 206.000
> dmi.board.asset.tag: ATN12345678901234567
> dmi.board.name: M51Va
> dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
> dmi.board.version: 1.0
> dmi.chassis.asset.tag: ATN12345678901234567
> dmi.chassis.type: 10
> dmi.chassis.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
> dmi.chassis.version: 1.0
> dmi.mo...

Read more...

Myk Dowling (politas) wrote :

Two different HD hardware options for me. I doubt it's a hardware issue. All filesystems have been NTFS, though.

What filesystems have other people had the problem with?

weber (jacqweber) wrote :

for me NTFS ... of course

Peterbeter (petervanbeek-vet) wrote :

for me also NTFS;
To be precise: NTFS-3g (whatever it means) as indicated by Ubuntu´s Device-manager.

Guy Begin (begin-guy) wrote :
Download full text (3.6 KiB)

The filesystem is NTFS here as well.

2011/7/25 Myk Dowling <email address hidden>

> Two different HD hardware options for me. I doubt it's a hardware issue.
> All filesystems have been NTFS, though.
>
> What filesystems have other people had the problem with?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (813483).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/811745
>
> Title:
> Whole system freeze after safely remove external usb drive
>
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> OS: Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS
> Kernel: 2.6.32-33 upgraded usnig official Ubuntu package
> description: Upgrading the kernel to 2.6.32-33 yesterday morning, and got
> no problem using my laptop until
> about 11pm, after I ejected my external usb drive, the whole system
> freeze, no response from keyboard, mouse, and even the system clock on the
> panel stop updating(it freeze at the time of ejecting usb drive). Falling
> back to kernel 2.6.32.32 solve the problem so I assumed there are some
> issues in the lastest kernel. This bug is repeatable on my Asus M51va
> laptop.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
> Package: linux-image-2.6.32-32-generic-pae 2.6.32-32.62
> Regression: Yes
> Reproducible: Yes
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-32.62-genusername-pae
> 2.6.32.38+drm33.16
> Uname: Linux 2.6.32-32-generic-pae i686
> NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
> AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
> Architecture: i386
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0: eric 1758 F.... pulseaudio
> CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] 沒有此一檔案或目錄
> Card0.Amixer.info:
> Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xfdef8000 irq 22'
> Mixer name : 'Realtek ALC663'
> Components : 'HDA:10ec0663,10431878,00100001
> HDA:10573055,10431316,00100700'
> Controls : 16
> Simple ctrls : 9
> Card1.Amixer.info:
> Card hw:1 'HDMI'/'HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfdfec000 irq 17'
> Mixer name : 'ATI R6xx HDMI'
> Components : 'HDA:1002aa01,00aa0100,00100000'
> Controls : 4
> Simple ctrls : 1
> Card1.Amixer.values:
> Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
> Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
> Playback channels: Mono
> Mono: Playback [on]
> Date: Sun Jul 17 10:02:21 2011
> HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=6332cbb4-4548-4b11-8ec0-bd496fe6cd3e
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
> MachineType: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. M51Va
> ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-2.6.32-32-genusername-pae
> root=UUID=48ac84e3-5361-4c27-b339-7c2648d21ae4 ro quiet splash
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=zh_TW:zh
> LANG=zh_TW.utf8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> RelatedPackageVersions: linux-firmware 1.34.7
> RfKill:
> 0: phy0: Wireless LAN
> Soft blocked: no
> Hard blocked: yes
> SourcePackage: linux
> dmi.bios.date: 07/11/2008
> dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
> dmi.bios.version: 206.000
> dmi.board.asset.tag: ATN12345678901234567
> dmi.board.name: M51Va
> dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
> dmi.board.version: 1.0
> dmi.chassis.asset.tag: ATN12345678901234567
...

Read more...

Can someone affected by the bug try with a USB removable storage that is *not* NTFS, and confirm whether he still gets the freeze or not?

Herton R. Krzesinski (herton) wrote :

Hi,

Can original reporter and people affected here by the bug test the kernel from http://people.canonical.com/~herton/lp811745/ , and see if the issue still happens? It contains two reverted patches which likely is causing the bug.

Let me know if you need more information about installing the kernels.

Hello all,
I confirm the issue with NTFS drives.
TEST SEQUENCE:
* 2.6.32-32 with NTFS drive: OK
* 2.6.32-32 with FAT32 drive: OK
Then I upgraded towards 2.3.32-33:
* FAT32 drive: still OK
* NTFS drive: NOK
Conclusion: 2.6.32-33 seems not to be affected by NOT NTFS drive, when
the problem occurs systematically with NTFS drives.

Le 26/07/2011 17:48, Etienne Goyer a écrit :
> Can someone affected by the bug try with a USB removable storage that is
> *not* NTFS, and confirm whether he still gets the freeze or not?
>

rederon (rederon) wrote :

Hello,
I uninstalled official 2.6.32-33.71 and then I installed 2.6.32-33.71
patch (i386 generic version) provided by Herton
It did it!
Everything is now OK in same test conditions.
The patch solved my problem: It is now possible to remove safely NTFS
drive without freezing the system.

Le 26/07/2011 19:56, Herton R. Krzesinski a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Can original reporter and people affected here by the bug test the
> kernel from http://people.canonical.com/~herton/lp811745/ , and see if
> the issue still happens? It contains two reverted patches which likely
> is causing the bug.
>
> Let me know if you need more information about installing the kernels.
>

Eric Chen (boyoffeeling) wrote :

@rederon
I haven't checked my email for a while, so thank you for testing out the patches.

Hi, I was also affected by this bug and my drive was also NTFS.

I would like to test the patch described above, but I don't know how to. I would be very much grateful if someone could point me to how I can kernel with patches.

Thanks in advance

Eric Chen (boyoffeeling) wrote :

@ uditha-bandara
Simply download the .deb s that correspond to your hardware and double click.

I've just download and applied the following file for the above patch. (by double clicking and installing)

linux-headers-2.6.32-33-generic_2.6.32-33.71~lp811745r1_amd64.deb

However it did not resolve the issue on my system. External USB hard drive with NTFS file system (samsung 1TB hard drive) still causes the system to freeze if I attempt safely remove.

Is there anyway I can double check if I installed the suggested patch successfully?

Thanks in advance

Eric Chen (boyoffeeling) wrote :

@ uditha-bandara
I think you also need to install linux-image-2.6.32-33-generic_2.6.32-33.71~lp811745r1_amd64.deb. Are you sure that your using the AMD processor?
After installing the file, use command: uname -r to check which kernel you're using.

rederon (rederon) wrote :

To Uditha Wijethilaka Bandara:
1) Unistall official 2.6.32-33 load with Synaptic (both
"linux-headers-2.6.32-33-generic" and "linux-image-2.6.32-33-generic"
2) Restart the computer
3) Command "uname -r" in a terminal to check the version (should be
2.6.32-32)
4) Check if you can remove your NTFS drive without any problem
5) Download the 2 .deb files from Herton link (take the version
belonging to your system, i386 or AMD) :
     linux-headers-2.6.32-33-generic_2.6.32-33.71~lp811745r1_<system
version>.deb
     linux-image-2.6.32-33-generic_2.6.32-33.71~lp811745r1_<system
version>.deb
6) Double click on the first downloaded file and follow instructions (it
should say a most recent official file exists: skip this)
7) Same thing with second file
8) Restart the computer
9) Check the version (see step 4)
10) Check the NTFS drive removal again

Le 27/07/2011 05:47, Uditha Wijethilaka Bandara a écrit :
> I've just download and applied the following file for the above patch.
> (by double clicking and installing)
>
> linux-headers-2.6.32-33-generic_2.6.32-33.71~lp811745r1_amd64.deb
>
> However it did not resolve the issue on my system. External USB hard
> drive with NTFS file system (samsung 1TB hard drive) still causes the
> system to freeze if I attempt safely remove.
>
> Is there anyway I can double check if I installed the suggested patch
> successfully?
>
> Thanks in advance
>

To rederon:

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I followed them and the problem seems to be fixed now.

Just one thing to clarify: I mistakenly used "Ubuntu Software Centre" instead of Synaptic to remove official 2.6.32-33 load. It gave me a warning saying updates related to that will no longer be included. I removed them anyway.

So in future when a newer version becomes available, do I need to do something specific to receive them.

Thanks in advance.

I can verify that Herton's 2.6.32-33-generic-pae #71~lp811745r1 kernel solves the lockup problem here. I've tested with two drives that triggered the lockup on the original 2.6.32-33-generic-pae.

Frodon (frodon) wrote :

Same symptoms here since a few weeks. I get random freezes and freezes almost each time i try to copy large files on my external usb HDD and almost each time i unmount it.

dvdtree (dvd-z) wrote :

Hi, dear Herton, thanks for your solution.
I just wanted to know the answer to Uditha question regarding the avaialbility of updates, before of installing your kernel.
I'm e newbie so please forgive me, I don't want to be by any means offensive.

Thanks again to all the community,

D

We tried on a few machines, and we cannot reproduce the bug. It seems like there's more at play than just the 2.6.32-33 kernel and NTFS-formatted removable storage.

Pablo Piaggio (papibe) wrote :

I have the same problem too. This used to work fine. I changed the way I was working so I don't know when it started to happened (I begun leaving my external HDs on and mounted until shutdown).

This is the first time Lucid is having stability problems. Now, my system ALWAYS freeze if I click on the "safely remove" option, and it happens on both of my external HD (both NTFS).

IMPORTANT: I'm able to unmount the drives on the terminal using 'sudo umount ...', but again the graphical option from the desktop: absolutely and irremediable kill my PC. Only a hard reset (power button hold for +4 secs) can bring the system up again.

Details on the HD (both 1Tb NTFS drives):

    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 059b:0370 Iomega Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1058:1100 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.

Details of my system:

    $ lsb_release -a

    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
    Release: 10.04
    Codename: lucid

    $ uname -a
    Linux vaughan 2.6.32-33-generic-pae #70-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 7 22:51:12 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
------------
Regards.

Hi Etienne Goyer (etienne-goyer-outlands),

I would like to bring to your kind notice the following that may be of use:

I experienced the problem with USB Hard Drives (NTFS Formatted)

I formatted a USB Pen Drive using NTFS file system and tried safely removing it. the problem did not occur with the Pen Drive. However with the Hard disk the problem was still there.

After installing the Patched kernels from Herton link, the problem did not occur with Hard Drives as well.

Frodon (frodon) wrote :

I would like to add to this bug report that the issue is not only about not being able to unmount drives, the usb issue is more deep.

With the latest kernel transfer of large files (> 20Gb) will just crash on my computer leaving the usb in an unknown and unusable state (lsusb command will hang) with no messages in the log files.

As for others using previous kernel seems to work.

nbl (nblouveton) wrote :

I update this morning linux-image-2.6.32-33-generic from -70 to -71.

Does this new kernel contain a fix for this bug ?

Because, the problem seems to be fixed at the first glance, but few minutes ago I unmount a ntfs usb drive and it happens again.

Also, I can't reproduce it.

Somebody experienced something like this ?

swwei (steveswwei) wrote :

I also update this morning linux-image-2.6.32-33-generic from -70 to -71.
But after a few plug and unplug(safely removing) operations on the USB Hard Drive, the system freezes again.
So the problem remains.

nikkus (nickkuz) wrote :

The same holds for my desktop: 10.04 Lynx
!!!>>> I've tested and found no problems with kernels 2.6.32-32, 2.6.32-31 <<<!!!
System details:
kernel 2.6.32-33-generic #62-Ubuntu SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux
Software: GNOME, recommended NVIDIA driver, applets are used: System Monitor, Sensors
Hardware: MB Asus P5KPL-C, Core 2 Duo

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
importance: Undecided → High
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Lucid):
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → Fix Committed
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Invalid
Herton R. Krzesinski (herton) wrote :

I new kernel with fix for this issue (2.6.32-33.72) is available now in -proposed. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed.

The fix was already verified and the problem is a clean revert, so tagging it verification-done-lucid.

tags: added: verification-done-lucid
manuti (manuti) wrote :

Same problem Compaq 620 + WD USB HD 250Gb 2,5" FAT32

Cor Driehuis (cor3huis) on 2011-08-03
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Lucid):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Cor Driehuis (cor3huis) wrote :

Sorry, sadly should be reverted from Fix Released → Fix Committed for this nasty bug. No fix released yet for 10.04 as of 20110803 :22:00 GMT+2 as far as I understood.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Lucid):
status: Fix Released → Fix Committed
suniyo (suniyo) wrote :

Problem solved after applying the patch. What about updates? If update manager updates it automatically to the newer version of the kernel do I need to degrade it again or to apply patch again?

suniyo (suniyo) wrote :

Update manager automatically rollbacks to the older version of the kernal as the patch is not an official repo.

What to do now? every time I update something using update manager kernal rolls back to the official version and I have to manually reinstall the patch again. This is real pain as I have thousands of custom softwares installed and updates are too frequent, almost daily.

Is there anyway to prevent update manager to rollback this patch automatically? It naturally prefers the version in the official repos and I have to go through this painful exercise of applying patch almost daily.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package linux - 2.6.32-33.72

---------------
linux (2.6.32-33.72) lucid-proposed; urgency=low

  [Steve Conklin]

  * Release Tracking Bug
    - LP: #818196

  [ Upstream Kernel Changes ]

  * Revert "fix oops in scsi_run_queue()"
    - LP: #811745
  * Revert "put stricter guards on queue dead checks"
    - LP: #811745
 -- Steve Conklin <email address hidden> Fri, 29 Jul 2011 12:33:46 -0500

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Lucid):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Clara (claracagigal) wrote :

Thankyou very much, the new kernel linux - 2.6.32-33.72 works perfectly well.

Problem solved, nor crash, safely removing usb hd works.

Pablo Piaggio (papibe) wrote :

I upgraded today, and I got a the new kernel. The problem has been fixed.

Kind Regards.

$ uname -a
Linux vaughan 2.6.32-33-generic-pae #72-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 29 22:06:29 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

dvdtree (dvd-z) wrote :

Thanks for solving the problem.
Kind regards
D

Greg Lynch (gregalynch) wrote :

Problem seems to have reappeared. I have it on an hp dm4t running oneiric. kernel panic after clicking 'safely remove drive'

Seconded on symptoms re-appearing on Oneiric. Should we file a new bug or add info here?

Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury) wrote :

@Laurynas

There is a similar bug already reported for Oneiric, it is bug 844957 Can you try the test kernel mentioned in comment #20 for that bug?

@Joseph, thanks for the pointer. I will try that kernel and will comment on bug 844957 as necessary.

To post a comment you must log in.