Loki suspend doesn't work

Bug #1399564 reported by hous3m4ster on 2014-12-05
358
This bug affects 74 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Gala
New
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

When closing pc or pressing suspend in Freya makes computer crash. When computer awakend, you only get a black screen that at the same time flickers on and of.

Os: Freya(Isis)
Date: 12-5-2014 (5 december 2014)
Computer: HP EliteBook8440p USB Boot

Update:
Multiple other computers with multiple architectures and different cpu's / gpu's are affected by this bug too.

Also, this is the bug with the highest bug heat and the importance is still undecided... 😒

Update 2:
after installing freya to disk the bug disappeared but I still have weird flickers after logging back into my laptop.

hous3m4ster (juliaqueen) on 2014-12-05
description: updated
Bogdan Lisnenko (lem8r) wrote :

Same here. HP ProBook 4530s

en23 (en3ster) wrote :

Same here.
Samsung Series 7 Ultra.

Eric Ryder (w-eric-f) wrote :

Same here for Acer C720P. Suspend works once, maybe. The second time you get a black screen and the drive light is still on. shutdown also doesn't always work; you need to press the Power key for (?) 30 seconds, or so. Not being able to Suspend and wake-up is a REAL pain in the ass. Also, going into Settings now takes 25 seconds (!!!). This is after downloading the new "stable" release.

Ganesh JCS (ganesh-jcs) wrote :

Same here.
HP Envy Touchsmart

Ganesh JCS (ganesh-jcs) wrote :

"Lock" also causes the same problem.

Same problems as Ganesh

Suspend or lock

Dell Inspiron 1720

Sent from my iPod

On 14 Apr 2015, at 18:16, Ganesh JCS <email address hidden> wrote:

> "Lock" also causes the same problem.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1399564
>
> Title:
> Freya suspend doesn't work
>
> Status in elementary OS:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> When closing pc or pressing suspend in Freya makes computer crash.
> When computer awakend, you only get a black screen that at the same
> time flickers on and of.
>
> Os: Freya(Isis)
> Date: 12-5-2014 (5 december 2014)
> Computer: HP EliteBook8440p USB Boot
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryos/+bug/1399564/+subscriptions

Gabriel_P (gabp) on 2015-05-31
Changed in elementaryos:
status: New → Confirmed

Same here but instead of black screen my screen is displayed correctly but completely frozen.

Toshiba Satellite nb10t

Mine freezes and then shortly after goes black and then back to log in. Sometimes when it logs in my wifi won't connect

Cody Still

> On Jun 2, 2015, at 3:32 AM, Núna Rós <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Same here but instead of black screen my screen is displayed correctly
> but completely frozen.
>
> Toshiba Satellite nb10t
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1460488).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1399564
>
> Title:
> Freya suspend doesn't work
>
> Status in elementary OS:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> When closing pc or pressing suspend in Freya makes computer crash.
> When computer awakend, you only get a black screen that at the same
> time flickers on and of.
>
> Os: Freya(Isis)
> Date: 12-5-2014 (5 december 2014)
> Computer: HP EliteBook8440p USB Boot
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryos/+bug/1399564/+subscriptions

This problem doesn't happen all the times, everytime it happens and I must restart the computer.

It is really annoying when you are in the middle of a working session and you need to restart and then open all the applications again. So I need to make sure I save everything before suspending the computer.

Dell Inspiron 17R - 17.3" - Core i7 3612QM
Graphics: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller - NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 630M]

Or Schiro (orschiro) wrote :

@hungtran

Have you tried entering your password while facing the black screen?

This does unlock the session for me and brings back my screen.

Cactus Jack (steved2323) wrote :

I am having the same issue... I'm running a Dell Optiplex 7020 with dual displays, when the machine is locked and I come back to my workstation, everything is flashing and frozen. The only way to fix it, is to hold the power button. Any fix for this?

Jayson Hache (inverged) wrote :

Hey guys,somewhere I saw that using the older Kernel can fix this issue.I am using AMD Radeon proprietary drivers (not with updates)on an HP Envy Touchsmart,and I have reverted back to Kernel 3.16.0-34 from 46(i think),and sleep is now working for me.I'm not sure why this works but I'm not complaining.Hope this helps someone else.

My Asus K53SD is affected aswell, but only if I install elementary OS in UEFI mode. If I enable Legacy BIOS and then install elementary OS, sleep/suspend works fine, instead I lost restart, no matter the kernel - currently on 4.2.0-999-generc. The interesting fact is that restart works in UEFI mode, but suspend dows not.

Nelson (nelsonb22) wrote :

Same issue here. Samsung laptop R580 with NVIDIA 340.96 drivers -- After figuring out how to fix the Fn control keys for brightness, I have it setup so that after 15 minutes of inactivity the screen goes dark and it asks for password when moving the mouse or pressing a key.

After logging back in, RANDOMLY it flickers/flashes the screen, goes black again on and off, then it goes back to asking for password again, after entering password again it might work fine after a few flickers, or it just gets frozen that there's no other option but a hard shut down.

Last night I discovered that while listening to Pandora online and of course after the 15 minutes of inactivity, the screen goes dark (as intended) but the music completely stops.
Thanks.

I'm using the older Elementary Luna as suspend works fine on that, I'll
go back to Freya again when suspend works

On 09/01/16 03:05, Nelson wrote:
> Same issue here. Samsung laptop R580 with NVIDIA 340.96 drivers --
> After figuring out how to fix the Fn control keys for brightness, I have
> it setup so that after 15 minutes of inactivity the screen goes dark and
> it asks for password when moving the mouse or pressing a key.
>
> After logging back in, RANDOMLY it flickers/flashes the screen, goes
> black again on and off, then it goes back to asking for password again,
> after entering password again it might work fine after a few flickers,
> or it just gets frozen that there's no other option but a hard shut
> down.
>
> Last night I discovered that while listening to Pandora online and of course after the 15 minutes of inactivity, the screen goes dark (as intended) but the music completely stops.
> Thanks.
>

While improvement is possible, suspend is fundamentally broken by design. In my view, it's not even worth attempting to fix because the correctness of the fix would defy verification. See details below:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryos/+bug/1561720

Ryan Merchant (ryanmerchanta) wrote :

Same here. Is there anyway to lock the screen without the issue occuring?

hous3m4ster (juliaqueen) on 2016-05-11
description: updated
description: updated
Acchan (acchan) wrote :

Lock screen seems to be causing the problem. Suspend works if "Lock on sleep" and "Lock after screen turns off" is disabled.

Zisu Andrei (matzipan) wrote :

Hello,

Can you please confirm this issue is present in Loki?

Changed in elementaryos:
status: Confirmed → Incomplete

Hello

I am no longer using Elementary OS, but I will test it with a USB boot
drive with Loki.

On 11/30/16 7:49 PM, Zisu Andrei wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can you please confirm this issue is present in Loki?
>
> ** Changed in: elementaryos
> Status: Confirmed => Incomplete
>

On a Loki USB live session, waking from spend on my Hp Elite-book still
does not work. Gte a blinking cursor on a blank screen, have to
restart.. Tried twice, same result.

On 11/30/2016 07:49 PM, Zisu Andrei wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can you please confirm this issue is present in Loki?
>
> ** Changed in: elementaryos
> Status: Confirmed => Incomplete
>

What Elite-Book version is this?

Have you tried with a newer kernel version? You're saying you're not using elementary anymore, what are you using that fixed your issue?

2540

On December 1, 2016 12:40:55 PM EST, Zisu Andrei <email address hidden> wrote:
>What Elite-Book version is this?
>
>Have you tried with a newer kernel version? You're saying you're not
>using elementary anymore, what are you using that fixed your issue?
>
>--
>You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
>duplicate bug report (1477094).
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1399564
>
>Title:
> Freya suspend doesn't work
>
>Status in elementary OS:
> Incomplete
>
>Bug description:
> When closing pc or pressing suspend in Freya makes computer crash.
> When computer awakend, you only get a black screen that at the same
> time flickers on and of.
>
> Os: Freya(Isis)
> Date: 12-5-2014 (5 december 2014)
> Computer: HP EliteBook8440p USB Boot
>
> Update:
>Multiple other computers with multiple architectures and different
>cpu's / gpu's are affected by this bug too.
>
> Also, this is the bug with the highest bug heat and the importance is
> still undecided... 😒
>
> Update 2:
>after installing freya to disk the bug disappeared but I still have
>weird flickers after logging back into my laptop.
>
>To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryos/+bug/1399564/+subscriptions

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Zisu Andrei (matzipan) wrote :

Is there any Linux distribution which works at all?

Changed in elementaryos:
status: Incomplete → New
summary: - Freya suspend doesn't work
+ Loki suspend doesn't work

Yes. Switched from Elementary OS to Linux Mint and it works fine there (same computer, fresh install).

Ubuntu mate and budgie remix both worked for me

On December 2, 2016 4:03:15 PM EST, Martin Mochetti <email address hidden> wrote:
>Yes. Switched from Elementary OS to Linux Mint and it works fine there
>(same computer, fresh install).
>
>--
>You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
>duplicate bug report (1477094).
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1399564
>
>Title:
> Loki suspend doesn't work
>
>Status in elementary OS:
> New
>
>Bug description:
> When closing pc or pressing suspend in Freya makes computer crash.
> When computer awakend, you only get a black screen that at the same
> time flickers on and of.
>
> Os: Freya(Isis)
> Date: 12-5-2014 (5 december 2014)
> Computer: HP EliteBook8440p USB Boot
>
> Update:
>Multiple other computers with multiple architectures and different
>cpu's / gpu's are affected by this bug too.
>
> Also, this is the bug with the highest bug heat and the importance is
> still undecided... 😒
>
> Update 2:
>after installing freya to disk the bug disappeared but I still have
>weird flickers after logging back into my laptop.
>
>To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryos/+bug/1399564/+subscriptions

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Zisu Andrei (matzipan) wrote :

I'm tempted to assign this to Gala as it seems to be the only component which was not excluded.

affects: elementaryos → gala
Nov (novtesk) on 2017-01-17
affects: gala → elementaryos
affects: elementaryos → gala
To post a comment you must log in.