i965gm GPU lockup if vesafb is left loaded (EIR: 0x00000010 PGTBL_ER: 0x00000100) - *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking

Bug #702090 reported by Travis Watkins on 2011-01-12
774
This bug affects 119 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
xf86-video-intel
Fix Released
High
gdm (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Natty
Undecided
Unassigned
kdebase-workspace (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Scott Kitterman
Natty
Undecided
Scott Kitterman
linux (Ubuntu)
Critical
Canonical Kernel Team
Natty
Critical
Canonical Kernel Team
module-init-tools (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Natty
Undecided
Unassigned
plymouth (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Natty
Undecided
Unassigned
udev (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Natty
Undecided
Unassigned
xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned
Natty
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

[Problem]
The vesafb driver, used in the kernel as a default fall-back and (sometimes) for plymouth, can interfere with the loading of the Intel drm driver during boot. This conflict can result in a GPU hang. Sometimes (in the case of this bug report), X can recover from this GPU hang by resetting the GPU. In other cases the GPU may not be resettable for some reason, resulting in an unrecoverable system hang.

[Original Report]
I'm assuming this is because my suspend failed but I also had a black screen on boot until X started so perhaps it was something plymouth related.

From GPU dump:
ACTHD: 0x00000000
EIR: 0x00000010
EMR: 0xffffffdd
ESR: 0x00000010
PGTBL_ER: 0x00000100
IPEHR: 0x00000000
IPEIR: 0x00000000
INSTDONE: 0xffe5fafe
INSTDONE1: 0x000fffff
    busy: Projection and LOD
    busy: Bypass FIFO
    busy: Color calculator

From dmesg:
[ 12.615203] [drm] initialized overlay support
[ 12.838827] render error detected, EIR: 0x00000010
[ 12.838830] page table error
[ 12.838831] PGTBL_ER: 0x00000100
[ 12.838834] [drm:i915_report_and_clear_eir] *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking

ProblemType: Crash
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
Package: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.13.901-2ubuntu2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.37-12.26-generic 2.6.37
Uname: Linux 2.6.37-12-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: wl
Architecture: amd64
Chipset: i965gm
DRM.card0.DVI.D.1:
 status: disconnected
 enabled: disabled
 dpms: Off
 modes:
 edid-base64:
DRM.card0.LVDS.1:
 status: connected
 enabled: enabled
 dpms: On
 modes: 1280x800
 edid-base64: AP///////wAGEFucAAAAAA4QAQOAHRJ4Cof1lFdPjCcnUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBvBsAoFAgFzAwIDYAHrMQAAAZAAAAAQAGECAAAAAAAAAAAAogAAAA/gBMVE4xMzNXMQAAAAogAAAA/ABDb2xvciBMQ0QKICAgAMY=
DRM.card0.VGA.1:
 status: disconnected
 enabled: disabled
 dpms: Off
 modes:
 edid-base64:
Date: Wed Jan 12 13:52:30 2011
DistUpgraded: Fresh install
DistroCodename: natty
DistroVariant: ubuntu
DkmsStatus: bcmwl, 5.100.82.38+bdcom, 2.6.37-12-generic, x86_64: installed
DumpSignature: 5c30d2fd (EIR: 0x00000010)
ExecutablePath: /usr/share/apport/apport-gpu-error-intel.py
GraphicsCard:
 Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Device [106b:00a1]
   Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Device [106b:00a1]
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Alpha amd64+mac (20110104)
InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.7
MachineType: Apple Inc. MacBook4,1
ProcCmdline: /usr/bin/python /usr/share/apport/apport-gpu-error-intel.py
ProcEnviron:

ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-12-generic root=UUID=3fa2b187-0edf-45a7-add7-17bf24470864 ro vt.handoff=7 quiet splash
ProcKernelCmdLine_: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-12-generic root=UUID=3fa2b187-0edf-45a7-add7-17bf24470864 ro vt.handoff=7 quiet splash
RelatedPackageVersions:
 xserver-xorg 1:7.5+6ubuntu7
 libdrm2 2.4.22-2ubuntu1
 xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.13.901-2ubuntu2
SourcePackage: xserver-xorg-video-intel
Title: [i965gm] GPU lockup 5c30d2fd (EIR: 0x00000010)
UnitySupportTest:

UserGroups:

dmi.bios.date: 02/09/08
dmi.bios.vendor: Apple Inc.
dmi.bios.version: MB41.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091535
dmi.board.asset.tag: Base Board Asset Tag
dmi.board.name: Mac-F22788A9
dmi.board.vendor: Apple Inc.
dmi.board.version: PVT
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: Asset Tag#
dmi.chassis.type: 2
dmi.chassis.vendor: Apple Inc.
dmi.chassis.version: Mac-F22788A9
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnAppleInc.:bvrMB41.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091535:bd02/09/08:svnAppleInc.:pnMacBook4,1:pvr1.0:rvnAppleInc.:rnMac-F22788A9:rvrPVT:cvnAppleInc.:ct2:cvrMac-F22788A9:
dmi.product.name: MacBook4,1
dmi.product.version: 1.0
dmi.sys.vendor: Apple Inc.
version.libdrm2: libdrm2 2.4.22-2ubuntu1
version.libgl1-mesa-glx: libgl1-mesa-glx 7.9+repack-1ubuntu3
version.xserver-xorg: xserver-xorg 1:7.5+6ubuntu7
version.xserver-xorg-video-ati: xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.13.2-1ubuntu2
version.xserver-xorg-video-intel: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.13.901-2ubuntu2
version.xserver-xorg-video-nouveau: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:0.0.16+git20100805+b96170a-0ubuntu1

---
AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
AlsaVersion_: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
Architecture: amd64
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC0: travis 1469 F.... pulseaudio
CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Card0.Amixer.info:
 Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0x90700000 irq 45'
   Mixer name : 'Realtek ALC889A'
   Components : 'HDA:10ec0885,106b3600,00100103'
   Controls : 34
   Simple ctrls : 21
CompizPlugins: No value set for `/apps/compiz-1/general/allscreens/options/active_plugins'
CompositorRunning: compiz
DRM.card0.DVI.D.1:
 status: disconnected
 enabled: disabled
 dpms: Off
 modes:
 edid-base64:
DRM.card0.LVDS.1:
 status: connected
 enabled: enabled
 dpms: On
 modes: 1280x800
 edid-base64: AP///////wAGEFucAAAAAA4QAQOAHRJ4Cof1lFdPjCcnUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBvBsAoFAgFzAwIDYAHrMQAAAZAAAAAQAGECAAAAAAAAAAAAogAAAA/gBMVE4xMzNXMQAAAAogAAAA/ABDb2xvciBMQ0QKICAgAMY=
DRM.card0.VGA.1:
 status: disconnected
 enabled: disabled
 dpms: Off
 modes:
 edid-base64:
DistUpgraded: Fresh install
DistroCodename: natty
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
DistroVariant: ubuntu
DkmsStatus: bcmwl, 5.100.82.38+bdcom, 2.6.37-12-generic, x86_64: installed
GraphicsCard:
 Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Device [106b:00a1]
   Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Device [106b:00a1]
HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=71e7fb2a-b576-402b-850e-e2050275a84e
HibernationDevice_: RESUME=UUID=71e7fb2a-b576-402b-850e-e2050275a84e
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Alpha amd64+mac (20110104)
InstallationMedia_: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Alpha amd64+mac (20110104)
InstallationMedia__: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Alpha amd64+mac (20110104)
InstallationMedia___: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Alpha amd64+mac (20110104)
MachineType: Apple Inc. MacBook4,1
NonfreeKernelModules: wl
Package: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.14.0+git20110124.5baa63c6-0ubuntu0sarvatt
PackageArchitecture: amd64
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=en_US:en
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-12-generic root=UUID=3fa2b187-0edf-45a7-add7-17bf24470864 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
ProcKernelCmdLine_: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-12-generic root=UUID=3fa2b187-0edf-45a7-add7-17bf24470864 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
ProcKernelCmdLine__: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-12-generic root=UUID=3fa2b187-0edf-45a7-add7-17bf24470864 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
ProcKernelCmdLine___: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-12-generic root=UUID=3fa2b187-0edf-45a7-add7-17bf24470864 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.37-12.26-generic 2.6.37
ProcVersionSignature_: Ubuntu 2.6.37-12.26-generic 2.6.37
ProcVersionSignature__: Ubuntu 2.6.37-12.26-generic 2.6.37
ProcVersionSignature___: Ubuntu 2.6.37-12.26-generic 2.6.37
Regression: No
RelatedPackageVersions:
 linux-restricted-modules-2.6.37-12-generic N/A
 linux-backports-modules-2.6.37-12-generic N/A
 linux-firmware 1.45
Renderer: Hardware acceleration
Reproducible: Yes
Tags: natty running-unity kernel-graphics needs-upstream-testing natty running-unity natty ubuntu natty running-unity kernel-graphics needs-upstream-testing natty running-unity natty ubuntu
Uname: Linux 2.6.37-12-generic x86_64
UnitySupportTest:

UnreportableReason: This is not a genuine Ubuntu package
UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
dmi.bios.date: 02/09/08
dmi.bios.vendor: Apple Inc.
dmi.bios.version: MB41.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091535
dmi.board.asset.tag: Base Board Asset Tag
dmi.board.name: Mac-F22788A9
dmi.board.vendor: Apple Inc.
dmi.board.version: PVT
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: Asset Tag#
dmi.chassis.type: 2
dmi.chassis.vendor: Apple Inc.
dmi.chassis.version: Mac-F22788A9
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnAppleInc.:bvrMB41.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091535:bd02/09/08:svnAppleInc.:pnMacBook4,1:pvr1.0:rvnAppleInc.:rnMac-F22788A9:rvrPVT:cvnAppleInc.:ct2:cvrMac-F22788A9:
dmi.product.name: MacBook4,1
dmi.product.version: 1.0
dmi.sys.vendor: Apple Inc.
version.libdrm2: libdrm2 2.4.23+git20110119.550fe2ca-0ubuntu0sarvatt
version.libgl1-mesa-glx: libgl1-mesa-glx 7.11.0+git20110119.a5da4acb-0ubuntu0sarvatt
version.xserver-xorg: xserver-xorg 1:7.5+6ubuntu8
version.xserver-xorg-video-ati: xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.13.99+git20110124.fadee040-0ubuntu0chris
version.xserver-xorg-video-intel: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.14.0+git20110124.5baa63c6-0ubuntu0sarvatt
version.xserver-xorg-video-nouveau: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:0.0.16+git20110124.38e8809b-0ubuntu0sarvatt

Travis Watkins (amaranth) wrote :
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Heya Travis,

Yeah looks like the GPU got screwed early on in the boot and so wasn't in a usable state when X started up. The IntelGpuDump.txt file just shows all registers cleared (set to NOOP), and generic error codes. I'd suggest debugging the plymouth troubles first (see cjwatson). If it freezes and pops up apport again in the future, go ahead and keep filing the X bugs to xorg and we'll keep checking the gpu dumps in case something debuggable on the X side comes up.

Before we close this out though, one question - have you encountered this bug more than once or know others having the same problem?

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
Travis Watkins (amaranth) wrote :

I have seen this symptom more than once but this is the first time I've had apport enabled and had it happen so I do not know if those other boots were the same problem. Bug 627011 is concerning the macbook model before mine but it seems likely this is a dupe of that one so there are other people having the issue. I didn't initially add to that bug because I wanted to make sure we were having the same problem.

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → New
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Regarding bug 627011, yeah it's the same gpu dump, although in this case I'm not sure that is relevant since the dump just shows all the registers zero'd out.

I'm not sure what to do to solve this bug. I'd like to send it upstream. However they're going to want it tested against newer versions of things.

We're going to be moving natty to its new X stack within the next week
or so. Currently this stack is available in xorg-edgers, and our
testing is showing it to be quite stable.

I'd like to have you attempt to reproduce your issue with this new
stack. If it still occurs with that stack, we can then take the the bug
upstream, or approach the kernel team or other appropriate groups about
it.

The PPA is available at:
https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

Here's a simple way to install:
  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
  sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get upgrade

Then reboot your system to get to the new bits.

If you want to go back to stock Ubuntu, there is a corresponding
ppa-purge tool:
  sudo ppa-purge xorg-edgers
  sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get upgrade

Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

I'm going to dupe 627011 to this one rather than vice-versa since this is against natty, and that one was maverick.

Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Bug #703382 seems similar to these two, but the gpu dump includes a batch buffer.

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
importance: Undecided → High
Travis Watkins (amaranth) wrote :

I get the same symptoms with the latest packages from xorg-edgers as well. Apport tells me about a "crash" but complains the package is not from Ubuntu so I can't confirm my GPU dump is the same.

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → New
Bryce Harrington (bryce) on 2011-01-18
summary: - i965gm GPU lockup 5c30d2fd EIR: 0x00000010
+ i965gm GPU lockup after suspend failed (EIR: 0x00000010)
description: updated
summary: - i965gm GPU lockup after suspend failed (EIR: 0x00000010)
+ i965gm GPU lockup after suspend failed (EIR: 0x00000010 PGTBL_ER:
+ 0x00000100)

Thanks. I think all of these are instances of bug #686388, which is already reported upstream.
I'm going to hold off on duplicating this bug to that one for the time being though, since there are some minor differences in symptoms and logs.

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu):
status: New → Triaged
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

This bug appears similar to https://bugs.freedesktop.org//show_bug.cgi?id=27070 which has two kernel patches attached to it. I wonder whether or not we have those patches in the natty kernel?

Travis Watkins (amaranth) wrote :

Oh, I forgot to mention I was reproducing the problem just by rebooting so this was not a suspend issue. That was something separate I wish I had gotten more information on now.

Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Checking the kernel ubuntu git tree, yes those two patches are included.

summary: - i965gm GPU lockup after suspend failed (EIR: 0x00000010 PGTBL_ER:
- 0x00000100)
+ i965gm GPU lockup (EIR: 0x00000010 PGTBL_ER: 0x00000100)

Hey Travis, could you boot xorg-edgers once more and run 'apport-collect 702090' while running those versions? I think the next step for this bug is to go upstream with it, and they'll expect all the files to show the newest version numbers.

Bryce Harrington (bryce) on 2011-01-24
Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu Natty):
status: Triaged → Incomplete

apport information

tags: added: apport-collected kernel-graphics needs-upstream-testing running-unity
description: updated

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu Natty):
status: Incomplete → Triaged
tags: added: review-request
Bryce Harrington (bryce) on 2011-01-26
summary: - i965gm GPU lockup (EIR: 0x00000010 PGTBL_ER: 0x00000100)
+ i965gm GPU lockup if vesafb is left loaded (EIR: 0x00000010 PGTBL_ER:
+ 0x00000100)
22 comments hidden view all 102 comments

The vesafb would have been ejected when we switch over to DRM, perhaps there is an interaction there.

Bryce Harrington (bryce) on 2011-02-07
description: updated
summary: i965gm GPU lockup if vesafb is left loaded (EIR: 0x00000010 PGTBL_ER:
- 0x00000100)
+ 0x00000100) - *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Travis Watkins - thanks for filing #702090 with updated X stuff. I've forwarded both this bug and 702090 upstream to http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34018 - please subscribe yourself to this bug, in case they need further information or wish you to test something. Thanks ahead of time!

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel:
importance: Unknown → High
status: Unknown → Confirmed
Bryce Harrington (bryce) on 2011-02-08
description: updated
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Fwiw, after hearing from upstream and chatting with apw, it seems this bug (or rather, class of bugs) is due to vesafb being present during boot. As I gather from apw, this is believed to need to be loaded because of plymouth and/or for fallback if kms/drm doesn't load or isn't available, however it is unclear if that workaround is still required in natty, which suggests some experimentation may be in order.

Anyway, from these discussions it sounds like this is entirely a kernel-side bug, however I'm going to leave the xorg task open on this for a bit longer just to make it a bit easier for us to keep track of progress with it. We'll drop off once it's more clear what exactly is wrong.

Kate Stewart (kate.stewart) wrote :

Clean up the priority of the kernel side bug to reflect the status already assigned. Explicitly assign this to the kernel team.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Natty):
assignee: nobody → Canonical Kernel Team (canonical-kernel-team)
importance: Undecided → High
Bryce Harrington (bryce) on 2011-02-18
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Natty):
importance: High → Critical
milestone: none → natty-alpha-3
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Is anyone able to reproduce this bug reliably? If so, please test this kernel:

  http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/drm-intel-next/current/

This includes the following patch which sounds like it addresses the problem (it's a false positive gpu hang check):
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ickle/drm-intel.git;a=commitdiff;h=86b27d8050b6b2aec31063fa9f40b16fb347afb3;hp=f5412be599602124d2bdd49947b231dd77c0bf99

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Natty):
status: New → Incomplete
Travis Watkins (amaranth) wrote :

Nope, new kernel didn't help; it actually made things worse. I've attached my dmesg showing the BUG message. When booting I end up seeing the text output from the boot process with a mouse cursor on top of it. If it switch to another VT then back to VT 7 everything paints correctly.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Natty):
status: Incomplete → New
Travis Watkins (amaranth) wrote :
Mike Austin (mike-ekim) wrote :

"Disabling vesafb makes this problem go away."
Yes, this fixes it for me on my Sony VAIO Z i5, which has both the Intel gpu and a nvidia 330M.

Download full text (10.0 KiB)

How do you disable it?

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Mike Austin <email address hidden>wrote:

> "Disabling vesafb makes this problem go away."
> Yes, this fixes it for me on my Sony VAIO Z i5, which has both the Intel
> gpu and a nvidia 330M.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (715352).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/702090
>
> Title:
> i965gm GPU lockup if vesafb is left loaded (EIR: 0x00000010 PGTBL_ER:
> 0x00000100) - *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking
>
> Status in X.org xf86-video-intel:
> Confirmed
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
> New
> Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “linux” source package in Natty:
> New
> Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” source package in Natty:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> [Problem]
> The vesafb driver, used in the kernel as a default fall-back and
> (sometimes) for plymouth, can interfere with the loading of the Intel drm
> driver during boot. This conflict can result in a GPU hang. Sometimes (in
> the case of this bug report), X can recover from this GPU hang by resetting
> the GPU. In other cases the GPU may not be resettable for some reason,
> resulting in an unrecoverable system hang.
>
> [Original Report]
> I'm assuming this is because my suspend failed but I also had a black
> screen on boot until X started so perhaps it was something plymouth related.
>
> From GPU dump:
> ACTHD: 0x00000000
> EIR: 0x00000010
> EMR: 0xffffffdd
> ESR: 0x00000010
> PGTBL_ER: 0x00000100
> IPEHR: 0x00000000
> IPEIR: 0x00000000
> INSTDONE: 0xffe5fafe
> INSTDONE1: 0x000fffff
> busy: Projection and LOD
> busy: Bypass FIFO
> busy: Color calculator
>
> From dmesg:
> [ 12.615203] [drm] initialized overlay support
> [ 12.838827] render error detected, EIR: 0x00000010
> [ 12.838830] page table error
> [ 12.838831] PGTBL_ER: 0x00000100
> [ 12.838834] [drm:i915_report_and_clear_eir] *ERROR* EIR stuck:
> 0x00000010, masking
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
> Package: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.13.901-2ubuntu2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.37-12.26-generic 2.6.37
> Uname: Linux 2.6.37-12-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: wl
> Architecture: amd64
> Chipset: i965gm
> DRM.card0.DVI.D.1:
> status: disconnected
> enabled: disabled
> dpms: Off
> modes:
> edid-base64:
> DRM.card0.LVDS.1:
> status: connected
> enabled: enabled
> dpms: On
> modes: 1280x800
> edid-base64:
> AP///////wAGEFucAAAAAA4QAQOAHRJ4Cof1lFdPjCcnUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBvBsAoFAgFzAwIDYAHrMQAAAZAAAAAQAGECAAAAAAAAAAAAogAAAA/gBMVE4xMzNXMQAAAAogAAAA/ABDb2xvciBMQ0QKICAgAMY=
> DRM.card0.VGA.1:
> status: disconnected
> enabled: disabled
> dpms: Off
> modes:
> edid-base64:
> Date: Wed Jan 12 13:52:30 2011
> DistUpgraded: Fresh install
> DistroCodename: natty
> DistroVariant: ubuntu
> DkmsStatus: bcmwl, 5.100.82.38+bdcom, 2.6.37-12-generic, x86_64: installed
> DumpSignature: 5c30d2fd (EIR: 0x00000010)
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/apport/apport-gpu-error-intel.py
> GraphicsCard:
> Subsystem: Apple Computer ...

Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Too late for a3, moving to beta-1

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Natty):
milestone: natty-alpha-3 → ubuntu-11.04-beta-1
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Natty):
status: New → Triaged
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Hello Travis and everyone reporting dupes!

A possible fix for this bug has been created and is available for testing. Please follow these steps to test:

A. Verify you still have the bug. Run this command:

  $ dmesg | egrep "drm.*ERROR"

This should display something like this:

  [ 10.625985] [drm:i915_report_and_clear_eir] *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking

This indicates you've had a GPU lockup. "masking" means that the kernel was able to reset the GPU and keep going. So you probably never noticed any problems (except the apport error reporter dialog).

If you don't see anything, try rebooting a few times and repeating the command. If you never see the error message after several boots, you can stop testing here. No need to provide feedback.

B. Update your system to absolute latest

 $ sudo apt-get update
 $ sudo apt-get upgrade
 $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If you encounter any problems with this step, DO NOT comment on this bug (else you will spam a lot of people on dupes). Resolve the issues before proceeding.

C. Please install the following PPA with the proposed fix:

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:apw/purple
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

This should pull in new gdm, linux, plymouth, and udev and you should see "~vesafb1*" in their version strings. It also pulls in an update to module-init-tools.

D. Next, reboot your machine. Verify you have the correct kernel version booted:

$ dmesg | grep 'Linux version'

This should indicate you're running "(Ubuntu 2.6.38-6.34vesafb1*"

E. Verify the kernel has not encountered the GPU hang:

  $ dmesg | egrep "drm.*ERROR"

Ideally, no output should be printed.

Please repeat steps D and E several times, just in case your GPU hang is intermittent.

Finally, post a comment here to this bug. If you do not ever see output in step E, simply say so and indicate the number of boot attempts you tried. If you do see output in step E, please provide the error messages.

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu Natty):
status: Triaged → Incomplete
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Has anyone tried testing apw's PPA (ppa:apw/purple)?

I don't know if we can put the fix into Ubuntu until someone tests it and confirms it does fix the issue.

We've not been able to reproduce this bug synthetically ourselves, so we really do need help from a subscriber of this bug report to test it out. Otherwise we'd have to put the fix in blind (which probably wouldn't be acceptable to the release team) or ship Ubuntu with the bug unfixed.

Bob Murphy (murph) wrote :

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Bryce Harrington <<email address hidden>
> wrote:

> Has anyone tried testing apw's PPA (ppa:apw/purple)?
>
> I don't know if we can put the fix into Ubuntu until someone tests it
> and confirms it does fix the issue.
>
> We've not been able to reproduce this bug synthetically ourselves, so we
> really do need help from a subscriber of this bug report to test it out.
> Otherwise we'd have to put the fix in blind (which probably wouldn't be
> acceptable to the release team) or ship Ubuntu with the bug unfixed.
>
>
Sorry, I did a bit of distro-hopping sometime after filing the bug. When do
you need it tested by, maybe I can re-load and test it. (Certainly not
before this weekend)

--
Team Amiga New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.

<http://identi.ca/murph>

slechtvalk (klank4135) wrote :

Tank you so much, I check that, cheers

2011/3/15 Bob Murphy <email address hidden>

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Bryce Harrington <
> <email address hidden>
> > wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried testing apw's PPA (ppa:apw/purple)?
> >
> > I don't know if we can put the fix into Ubuntu until someone tests it
> > and confirms it does fix the issue.
> >
> > We've not been able to reproduce this bug synthetically ourselves, so we
> > really do need help from a subscriber of this bug report to test it out.
> > Otherwise we'd have to put the fix in blind (which probably wouldn't be
> > acceptable to the release team) or ship Ubuntu with the bug unfixed.
> >
> >
> Sorry, I did a bit of distro-hopping sometime after filing the bug. When
> do
> you need it tested by, maybe I can re-load and test it. (Certainly not
> before this weekend)
>
>
> --
> Team Amiga New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.
>
> <http://identi.ca/murph>
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (729326).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/702090
>
> Title:
> i965gm GPU lockup if vesafb is left loaded (EIR: 0x00000010 PGTBL_ER:
> 0x00000100) - *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/702090/+subscribe
>

Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 08:00:42PM -0000, Bob Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Bryce Harrington <<email address hidden>
> > wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried testing apw's PPA (ppa:apw/purple)?
> >
> > I don't know if we can put the fix into Ubuntu until someone tests it
> > and confirms it does fix the issue.
> >
> > We've not been able to reproduce this bug synthetically ourselves, so we
> > really do need help from a subscriber of this bug report to test it out.
> > Otherwise we'd have to put the fix in blind (which probably wouldn't be
> > acceptable to the release team) or ship Ubuntu with the bug unfixed.
> >
> Sorry, I did a bit of distro-hopping sometime after filing the bug. When do
> you need it tested by, maybe I can re-load and test it. (Certainly not
> before this weekend)

Beta freeze is next week, so a few days before that would be the latest
we could introduce changes of this scope. Ideally I'd like to see
confirmation come within the next few days so we could roll this out for
wider testing before the weekend, but this next Monday would probably be
the absolute latest that test feedback would make a difference.

Bryce

I copied and pasted the ppa in my software sources followed by reloading
and updating. At first the computer somewhat stalled on startup. I
rebooted. Then on start up I got the apw message, then I rebooted again
and so far its been about 20 minutes I haven't got a systems problem
warning . The fix seems to be working.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:29:56PM -0000, William Carl wrote:
> I copied and pasted the ppa in my software sources followed by reloading
> and updating. At first the computer somewhat stalled on startup. I
> rebooted. Then on start up I got the apw message, then I rebooted again
> and so far its been about 20 minutes I haven't got a systems problem
> warning . The fix seems to be working.

Thanks for the feedback, this sounds positive!

By stalled, do you mean that the boot just took longer than you
expected, so you rebooted, or did you determine that it had in fact
hung?

It is not unusual for the first boot after installing a new kernel to
take longer than normal, if it needs to do some module rebuilds or
whatnot. It's also possible that due to the variety of plumbing
changes, that it might take a couple boots to get all the bits set up
right, although that does not sound ideal.

On the other hand, these GPU lockups can sometimes come and go
intermittently. So you might want to reboot a few times to make sure
the problem doesn't come back.

I have restarted my computer about 20 times after applying the fix and
everything is working great. No system warning at all. Thank you

Download full text (10.8 KiB)

I've done the suggested updates from my update-manager - and now my inux does not boot anymore the GUI.
after a normal boot it stops with the state "Checking battery state... OK" (I run it on a desktop machine, so no big surprise)

and then: nothing more

hitting strg+alt+F1I am able to login to command line.
I did the
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get uprade

everything's up to date (except 5 packages from the old openoffice-language-hyphenation-something.... don't know exactly).

nothing's changed.

What can I do?

cheers

Am 16.03.2011 um 14:52 schrieb William Carl:

> I have restarted my computer about 20 times after applying the fix and
> everything is working great. No system warning at all. Thank you
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (732420).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/702090
>
> Title:
> i965gm GPU lockup if vesafb is left loaded (EIR: 0x00000010 PGTBL_ER:
> 0x00000100) - *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking
>
> Status in X.org xf86-video-intel:
> Confirmed
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “udev” package in Ubuntu:
> New
> Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
> Status in “linux” source package in Natty:
> Triaged
> Status in “udev” source package in Natty:
> New
> Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” source package in Natty:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> [Problem]
> The vesafb driver, used in the kernel as a default fall-back and (sometimes) for plymouth, can interfere with the loading of the Intel drm driver during boot. This conflict can result in a GPU hang. Sometimes (in the case of this bug report), X can recover from this GPU hang by resetting the GPU. In other cases the GPU may not be resettable for some reason, resulting in an unrecoverable system hang.
>
> [Original Report]
> I'm assuming this is because my suspend failed but I also had a black screen on boot until X started so perhaps it was something plymouth related.
>
> From GPU dump:
> ACTHD: 0x00000000
> EIR: 0x00000010
> EMR: 0xffffffdd
> ESR: 0x00000010
> PGTBL_ER: 0x00000100
> IPEHR: 0x00000000
> IPEIR: 0x00000000
> INSTDONE: 0xffe5fafe
> INSTDONE1: 0x000fffff
> busy: Projection and LOD
> busy: Bypass FIFO
> busy: Color calculator
>
> From dmesg:
> [ 12.615203] [drm] initialized overlay support
> [ 12.838827] render error detected, EIR: 0x00000010
> [ 12.838830] page table error
> [ 12.838831] PGTBL_ER: 0x00000100
> [ 12.838834] [drm:i915_report_and_clear_eir] *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
> Package: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.13.901-2ubuntu2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.37-12.26-generic 2.6.37
> Uname: Linux 2.6.37-12-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: wl
> Architecture: amd64
> Chipset: i965gm
> DRM.card0.DVI.D.1:
> status: disconnected
> enabled: disabled
> dpms: Off
> modes:
> edid-base64:
> DRM.card0.LVDS.1:
> status: connected
> enabled: enabled
> dpms: On
> modes: 1280x800
> edid-base64: AP///////wAGEFucAAAAAA4QAQOAHRJ4Cof1lFdPjCcnUFQAAAABAQEB...

@Bryce:
had followed your indications in comment #73, no more error in kernel logs and apport stopped complaining about crashes.
Thanks!

@Lokinhincens:
There is a new bug in gdm that prevent it from showing up, I have it too:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/735805

Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

[Even though this isn't an -intel bug, I'm leaving the task open and setting it to In Progress just for triaging purposes since the auto-generated bugs get filed against -intel. It can be closed once the fix begins getting deployed to the various packages.]

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu Natty):
status: Incomplete → In Progress
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package udev - 166-0ubuntu4

---------------
udev (166-0ubuntu4) natty; urgency=low

  [ Scott Moser ]
  * do not create persistent net rules for Eucalyuptus addresses (LP: #719418)

  [ Andy Whitcroft ]
  * debian/udev.udev-fallback-graphics.upstart: add a new fallback graphics
    phase (LP: #702090)
 -- Colin Watson <email address hidden> Fri, 18 Mar 2011 22:32:14 +0000

Changed in udev (Ubuntu Natty):
status: New → Fix Released
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package plymouth - 0.8.2-2ubuntu18

---------------
plymouth (0.8.2-2ubuntu18) natty; urgency=low

  [ Colin Watson ]
  * Split nouveau patches out from misc-changes.patch.
  * If plymouth:force-drm is found on the kernel command line, use the drm
    renderer even on nouveau. This allows us to test fixes for LP #539655.
    See also LP #533135.

  [ Andy Whitcroft ]
  * Make splash dependant on either a graphics device appearing or
    udev-graphics-fallback completing. (LP: #702090)
 -- Colin Watson <email address hidden> Fri, 18 Mar 2011 22:35:41 +0000

Changed in plymouth (Ubuntu Natty):
status: New → Fix Released
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package module-init-tools - 3.12-1ubuntu4

---------------
module-init-tools (3.12-1ubuntu4) natty; urgency=low

  * debian/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer.conf: re-enable vesafb so that
    we can load it as a fallback. (LP: #702090)
 -- Andy Whitcroft <email address hidden> Fri, 18 Mar 2011 18:00:19 +0000

Changed in module-init-tools (Ubuntu Natty):
status: New → Fix Released
Colin Watson (cjwatson) wrote :

Opening a bug task on kdebase-workspace: udevtrigger needs to be replaced with udev-fallback-graphics in kdm.upstart, as was done in gdm.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package gdm - 2.32.0-0ubuntu12

---------------
gdm (2.32.0-0ubuntu12) natty; urgency=low

  * Make splash dependant on either a graphics device appearing or
    udev-graphics-fallback completing. (LP: #702090)
 -- Andy Whitcroft <email address hidden> Fri, 18 Mar 2011 22:39:03 +0000

Changed in gdm (Ubuntu Natty):
status: New → Fix Released
Changed in kdebase-workspace (Ubuntu Natty):
assignee: nobody → Scott Kitterman (kitterman)
status: New → In Progress
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package kdebase-workspace - 4:4.6.1-0ubuntu2

---------------
kdebase-workspace (4:4.6.1-0ubuntu2) natty; urgency=low

  [ Felix Geyer ]
  * Emit upstart login-session-start and desktop-session-start events.
    (LP: #715093)
    - Add kubuntu_118_upstart_session_events.diff

  [ Colin Watson ]
  * Start on stopped udev-fallback-graphics instead of stopped udevtrigger
    (LP: #702090)
  * Add udev (>= 166-0ubuntu4) to kdm Depends
 -- Scott Kitterman <email address hidden> Fri, 18 Mar 2011 20:49:32 -0400

Changed in kdebase-workspace (Ubuntu Natty):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

[Closing X task now that the fix is rolled out to the various components]

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu Natty):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
xrichard (xrichard) wrote :

bug 715093 has bad patch - see comment #10 on bug 715093

Colin Watson (cjwatson) wrote :

I believe this is fixed in the latest linux upload (the relevant change was to make vesafb modular again):

linux (2.6.38-7.36) natty; urgency=low

  [ Andy Whitcroft ]

  * Revert "SAUCE: KLUDGE: work around failed 'shrink-wrap' compiler
    optimisation"
  * purge last vestiges of maverick
  * [Config] switch CONFIG_FB_VESA back to module

  [ Chris Wilson ]

  * SAUCE: drm/i915: Fix pipelined fencing
    - LP: #717114

  [ Loïc Minier ]

  * Include nls_cp437 module in virtual for fat
    - LP: #732046
  * Support arch= cross-compilation for any arch
  * Fix couple of typos in 0-common-vars.mk
  * Enforce DEFAULT_MMAP_MIN_ADDR on armhf
  * Add armhf to Debian -> Linux arch map
  * Add initial armhf.mk
  * Enable common packages for armhf

  [ Upstream Kernel Changes ]

  * Yama: fix default relationship to check thread group
    - LP: #737676

 -- Andy Whitcroft <email address hidden> Fri, 18 Mar 2011 18:18:02 +0000

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Natty):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Download full text (11.6 KiB)

hello sir i have uninstall ubuntu 11.04 from my laptop because i was new
user of linux OS if you say then i can try again in a part of my laptop's
HD for bug fixing .

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Colin Watson <email address hidden>wrote:

> I believe this is fixed in the latest linux upload (the relevant change
> was to make vesafb modular again):
>
> linux (2.6.38-7.36) natty; urgency=low
>
> [ Andy Whitcroft ]
>
> * Revert "SAUCE: KLUDGE: work around failed 'shrink-wrap' compiler
> optimisation"
> * purge last vestiges of maverick
> * [Config] switch CONFIG_FB_VESA back to module
>
> [ Chris Wilson ]
>
> * SAUCE: drm/i915: Fix pipelined fencing
> - LP: #717114
>
> [ Loïc Minier ]
>
> * Include nls_cp437 module in virtual for fat
> - LP: #732046
> * Support arch= cross-compilation for any arch
> * Fix couple of typos in 0-common-vars.mk
> * Enforce DEFAULT_MMAP_MIN_ADDR on armhf
> * Add armhf to Debian -> Linux arch map
> * Add initial armhf.mk
> * Enable common packages for armhf
>
> [ Upstream Kernel Changes ]
>
> * Yama: fix default relationship to check thread group
> - LP: #737676
>
> -- Andy Whitcroft <email address hidden> Fri, 18 Mar 2011 18:18:02 +0000
>
> ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Natty)
> Status: Triaged => Fix Released
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (729463).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/702090
>
> Title:
> i965gm GPU lockup if vesafb is left loaded (EIR: 0x00000010 PGTBL_ER:
> 0x00000100) - *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking
>
> Status in X.org xf86-video-intel:
> Confirmed
> Status in “gdm” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “kdebase-workspace” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “module-init-tools” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “plymouth” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “udev” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “gdm” source package in Natty:
> Fix Released
> Status in “kdebase-workspace” source package in Natty:
> Fix Released
> Status in “linux” source package in Natty:
> Fix Released
> Status in “module-init-tools” source package in Natty:
> Fix Released
> Status in “plymouth” source package in Natty:
> Fix Released
> Status in “udev” source package in Natty:
> Fix Released
> Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” source package in Natty:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> [Problem]
> The vesafb driver, used in the kernel as a default fall-back and
> (sometimes) for plymouth, can interfere with the loading of the Intel drm
> driver during boot. This conflict can result in a GPU hang. Sometimes (in
> the case of this bug report), X can recover from this GPU hang by resetting
> the GPU. In other cases the GPU may not be resettable for some reason,
> resulting in an unrecoverable system hang.
>
> [Original Report]
> I'm assuming this is because my suspend failed but I also had a black
> screen on boot until X started so perhaps it was something plymouth related.
>
> From GPU dump:
> ACTHD: 0...

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel:
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
Bob Murphy (murph) wrote :

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Bryce Harrington <<email address hidden>
> wrote:

> Has anyone tried testing apw's PPA (ppa:apw/purple)?
>
> I don't know if we can put the fix into Ubuntu until someone tests it
> and confirms it does fix the issue.
>
> We've not been able to reproduce this bug synthetically ourselves, so we
> really do need help from a subscriber of this bug report to test it out.
> Otherwise we'd have to put the fix in blind (which probably wouldn't be
> acceptable to the release team) or ship Ubuntu with the bug unfixed.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (627011).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/702090
>

I just wiped the machine, downloaded and installed the nightly build, and
did not experience the problem. (Other Unity problems, however, but that's
not what this bug is about)

--
Team Amiga New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.

<http://identi.ca/murph>

I still have crashes with the latest packages. Here is the output of the dmesg commands:

dmesg | grep 'Linux version'
Linux version 2.6.38-7-generic (buildd@rothera) (gcc version 4.5.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.5.2-6ubuntu4) ) #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 21 14:19:35 UTC 2011 (Ubuntu 2.6.38-7.37-generic 2.6.38)

dmesg | egrep "drm.*ERROR"
[ 8.494710] [drm:i915_report_and_clear_eir] *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking

Most of the time the machine will halt within minutes to an hour. Happens often when I'm downloading updates.

If I can be of more help, please let me know.

Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Ubeer, probably easiest if you file a new bug. Either use apport if it pops up a dialog, or manually collect the gpu dump and i915 errors file.

bigbrovar (bigbrovar) wrote :

I am still having issues with X crashing (especially when am on a skype video call or watching video with vlc) I reported a bug report here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/769977 haven't gotten any reply there yet. maybe its associated with the bug ported to have been fixed here? anyway here is my xorg log right after it happened. https://launchpadlibrarian.net/71294655/Xorg.0.log

jevel (jevel) wrote :

[ 3.317473] [drm] capturing error event; look for more information in /debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
[ 3.318779] render error detected, EIR: 0x00000010
[ 3.318783] IPEIR: 0x00000000
[ 3.318785] IPEHR: 0x00000000
[ 3.318788] INSTDONE: 0xfffffffe
[ 3.318790] INSTPS: 0x00000000
[ 3.318792] INSTDONE1: 0xffffffff
[ 3.318795] ACTHD: 0x00000000
[ 3.318797] page table error
[ 3.318799] PGTBL_ER: 0x00100000
[ 3.318804] [drm:i915_report_and_clear_eir] *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking

I get this in Ubuntu 11.10 nightly here now. I thought this got sorted a while back?

Hi, I wanted to let you know that I have a brand new Yahoo! email address; <email address hidden>. Please update your address book and send me emails at this new address from now on. Thanks!
meghsingh nokha

Download full text (10.7 KiB)

??

Regards
Pavan

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 9, 2011, at 10:01 AM, meghsinghnokha <email address hidden> wrote:

> Hi, I wanted to let you know that I have a brand new Yahoo! email address; <email address hidden>. Please update your address book and send me emails at this new address from now on. Thanks!
> meghsingh nokha
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (711613).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/702090
>
> Title:
> i965gm GPU lockup if vesafb is left loaded (EIR: 0x00000010 PGTBL_ER:
> 0x00000100) - *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking
>
> Status in X.org xf86-video-intel:
> Fix Released
> Status in “gdm” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “kdebase-workspace” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “module-init-tools” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “plymouth” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “udev” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “gdm” source package in Natty:
> Fix Released
> Status in “kdebase-workspace” source package in Natty:
> Fix Released
> Status in “linux” source package in Natty:
> Fix Released
> Status in “module-init-tools” source package in Natty:
> Fix Released
> Status in “plymouth” source package in Natty:
> Fix Released
> Status in “udev” source package in Natty:
> Fix Released
> Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” source package in Natty:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> [Problem]
> The vesafb driver, used in the kernel as a default fall-back and (sometimes) for plymouth, can interfere with the loading of the Intel drm driver during boot. This conflict can result in a GPU hang. Sometimes (in the case of this bug report), X can recover from this GPU hang by resetting the GPU. In other cases the GPU may not be resettable for some reason, resulting in an unrecoverable system hang.
>
> [Original Report]
> I'm assuming this is because my suspend failed but I also had a black screen on boot until X started so perhaps it was something plymouth related.
>
> From GPU dump:
> ACTHD: 0x00000000
> EIR: 0x00000010
> EMR: 0xffffffdd
> ESR: 0x00000010
> PGTBL_ER: 0x00000100
> IPEHR: 0x00000000
> IPEIR: 0x00000000
> INSTDONE: 0xffe5fafe
> INSTDONE1: 0x000fffff
> busy: Projection and LOD
> busy: Bypass FIFO
> busy: Color calculator
>
> From dmesg:
> [ 12.615203] [drm] initialized overlay support
> [ 12.838827] render error detected, EIR: 0x00000010
> [ 12.838830] page table error
> [ 12.838831] PGTBL_ER: 0x00000100
> [ 12.838834] [drm:i915_report_and_clear_eir] *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
> Package: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.13.901-2ubuntu2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.37-12.26-generic 2.6.37
> Uname: Linux 2.6.37-12-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: wl
> Architecture: amd64
> Chipset: i965gm
> DRM.card0.DVI.D.1:
> status: disconnected
> enabled: disabled
> dpms: Off
> modes:
> edid-base64:
> DRM.card0....

LinkedIn
------------

Bug,

I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

- Meghsingh

Meghsingh Nokha
Managing Directore at my own work
Nokha Area, India

Confirm that you know Meghsingh Nokha:
https://www.linkedin.com/e/-i6lg6m-gy7b9ji2-24/isd/5779462028/-bqkrbyH/?hs=false&tok=3bn0v0G5G6P541

--
You are receiving Invitation to Connect emails. Click to unsubscribe:
http://www.linkedin.com/e/-i6lg6m-gy7b9ji2-24/zr0b4Glh7dla4LItFgDR-PxhKI5pHBvLvCxWgVq/goo/702090%40bugs%2Elaunchpad%2Enet/20061/I2010654411_1/?hs=false&tok=0qGZifo9O6P541

(c) 2012 LinkedIn Corporation. 2029 Stierlin Ct, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA.

Chico Miraglia (miraglia) wrote :

Still persists on 12.04

Displaying first 40 and last 40 comments. View all 102 comments or add a comment.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Bug attachments

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.