No GUI to configure/disable login sound

Bug #437429 reported by Barry Warsaw on 2009-09-26
702
This bug affects 141 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
gdm
Unknown
Medium
gdm (Ubuntu)
Wishlist
Sebastien Bacher
Nominated for Karmic by Keenan Pepper
Nominated for Maverick by NoOp
Lucid
Wishlist
Sebastien Bacher
ubuntu-sounds (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Nominated for Karmic by Keenan Pepper
Nominated for Maverick by NoOp
Lucid
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

==============
WORKAROUNDS
==============
NOTE: These workarounds disable the "system ready" sound (the drums). They will not disable the "successful login" and "logout" sounds. Go to Settings -> Sounds and set the sound theme to "no sounds" to disable these.

1) Disable all sounds for the login screen via gconf
$ sudo su gdm -c "gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds --type bool false"

-OR-

2) Rename the system-ready.ogg sound file
$ sudo mv -v /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/system-ready.ogg{,.disabled}

==============
BUG
==============
When you log into Karmic using a Gnome session, you get a drum sound. There are many situations where you need a silent boot process, but it appears that this is impossible under Karmic.

In Jaunty and previous, you could configure gdm to log you in silently. This configuration has been removed from Karmic. Even opening Sound Preferences and choosing "No sounds" for "Sound theme" or disabling window and button sounds does not prevent the login sound from occurring.

Users must have the ability to login silently.

Package: xsplash 0.8.1-0ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.31-11.36-generic
SourcePackage: xsplash
Uname: Linux 2.6.31-11-generic x86_64

Related branches

Barry Warsaw (barry) wrote :
Harry (harry33) wrote :

Sound theme sets one of the four alert sounds (bask, drip, glass or sonar). It does not change the system-ready sound.
One of the many workarounds to your wish is to go to (with root priviledge) the directory /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo and change the name of the file "dialog-question", for example to "dialog-question-backup".
Now the system-ready (drums) sound does play no more.

Cody Russell (bratsche) on 2009-09-27
Changed in xsplash (Ubuntu):
status: New → Invalid
Matt Perry (mp) wrote :

This is a regression. Can we get it fixed in time for Karmic?

Matt Perry (mp) wrote :

Isn't this a GDM bug?

Barry Warsaw (barry) wrote :

@Harry: i don't think that's a viable option for many reasons. You might actually want the sound for other purposes.

@MP: The problem as I see it is that there is no user accessible configuration for this any more. There was in Jaunty and earlier, but no longer in Karmic.

Harry (harry33) wrote :

Hi Barry,
Well I never said my way is an option, I only offered a workaround.
I offered a way to set any sound for examle to "system-ready" sound, immediately.

This is not a bug, the karmic alfa-6 (and beta) are meant to be like this.
But yes, I also think that it is a fair wish to say that a proper GUI is needed here.

Barry Warsaw (barry) wrote :

Hi Harry, gotcha and thanks for the workaround.

I do think it's a deficiency that needs to be addressed. I can understand the desire for fewer knobs for the login screen, but try booting a laptop surreptitiously during a talk and enduring the nasty stares. Like having your cell phone ringer on in the movie theater. :)

Matt Perry (mp) wrote :

@Harry: This is most certainly a bug. A necessary and working function has been removed. This is a problem that is prevalent in the Linux community. Distros remove perfectly functioning programs and replace them with broken and insufficient replacements coupled with promises that the replacement will one day be just functional and stable as the prior working program. Regardless of the reasons for such actions, the result is that the end-users suffer.

tags: added: regression-potential
komputes (komputes) on 2009-10-07
Changed in ubuntu-sounds (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed

I agree that this is a real issue, but ubuntu-sounds is certainly not the correct package. ubuntu-sounds is simply a sound theme and isn't responsible for any configuration. The bug could potentially be against gnome-media which provides the binary 'gnome-volume-control,' but I think the most likely candidate is GDM itself. This option should probably be added to an extended 'gdmsetup'

affects: xsplash (Ubuntu) → gdm (Ubuntu)
Changed in gdm (Ubuntu):
status: Invalid → Confirmed
Changed in ubuntu-sounds (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Thank you for your bug report. The issue is an upstream one and it would be nice if somebody having it could send the bug the to the people writting the software (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Upstream/GNOME)

Changed in gdm (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Ubuntu Desktop Bugs (desktop-bugs)
importance: Undecided → Wishlist
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Ubuntu is not the one which rewrote gdm and the update has been delayed for over a year but the old version used old technologies so the update made sense before the lts coming next cycle, comments about what distro do or not is not really constructive there

komputes (komputes) wrote :

Upstream bug has been created and linked: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=597731

Changed in gdm (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Triaged
komputes (komputes) wrote :

I agree with Brian. Even more, users must have the ability to login silently *and/or* to customize the sound. This is available in the "Login Window" utility in jaunty but is a feature that has been removed in karmic. Requesting that we give back the power of sound customization to the user, both for system sounds (this bug) and session sounds ( Bug #324700 ).

Matt Perry (mp) wrote :

In the meantime, could we remove the sound for Karmic? It provides no utility. We can add it back once upstream has resolved this issue.

Vish (vish) wrote :

I dont think removing the sound is ideal.
AFAIK , it is the same sound which is used for alerts... which ask for overwrite confirmation, when using the "Save as..." option and the same file name already exists.

Matt Perry (mp) wrote :

I didn't mean to remove the sound file. I meant disabling GDM from playing the sound.

Oliver Grawert (ogra) wrote :

note that the sound is essential for visulally impaired people, its one part of the accessibility improvements we have over other distros. it should not be removed by default.

Fabus (fabian-gebert-hh) wrote :

remember Ubuntu's not being useful in class room and library scenarios if you cannot disable the sounds!

Matt Perry (mp) wrote :

@Oliver and Fabus: Both of those are excellent reasons to return to the previous version of GDM in Karmic until this issue can be resolved.

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

> Both of those are excellent reasons to return to the previous version of GDM in Karmic until this issue can be resolved.

those comments are not useful, there has been lot of testing and integration work during the cycle and you can't roll back to other technologies like that it would break suspend, hibernate, user switching etc and would require to rewrite several desktop components

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

you can try to use "sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconftool-2 --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/settings-manager-plugins/sound/active --type bool false"

emarkay (mrk) wrote :

Another vote for NOT having this enabled by default - it should fall in the "Startup Sounds" category.
Wouldn't it just be a simple task to remove it in the code where it is now and then add it to where the "Startup Sounds" preferences work?

There is no reason for this - libraries and late night reboots are 100% proof!

Vish (vish) wrote :

FWIW , the "Alert volume" option controls the sounds for these sounds , you can set it to mute or lower the volume to any level.

komputes (komputes) wrote :

I was able to remove the login sound (not the drums but the successful login sound) only by doing the following:

1) Go to System > Preferences > Startup Applications
2) Uncheck "GNOME Login Sound"
3) Right click the speaker icon (volume applet) and select "Sound Preferences"
4) In the "Sound Effects" change the "Sound Theme" to "No sounds"
5) Reboot

Result: No login sound

Note:
1) If you do not change the "Sound theme" to "No sounds", the "GNOME Login Sound" entry in "Startup Applications" will reactivate on its own.
2) I am guessing you would have to do this each user on the machine.

Barry Warsaw (barry) wrote :

> 1) If you do not change the "Sound theme" to "No sounds", the "GNOME Login Sound" entry in "Startup Applications" will > reactivate on its own.

It sounds like this is the real bug then! While hidden, it's nice to see that this is possible. If it weren't reactivated each time, the bug would be solved.

Guillaume Poulin (gpoulin) wrote :

I tryed "sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconftool-2 --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/settings-manager-plugins/sound/active --type bool false"

but it didn't work for me.

"sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds --type bool false"

work well and it relatively clean.

emarkay (mrk) wrote :

This bug is now addressing this issue:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-media/+bug/324700
I don't want to mark this as a dupe yet, and I also request that it be prioritized higher that "wishlist".
Thanks.

rfurgy (rfurgy) wrote :

To be honest we almost need a sound management system that does for all the sounds like gnome art did for all the bling bling for the desktop. I agree that sounds should at least be able to be turned off, but on the other hand I'm one of those people that would like to customise the sound theme so I and pick which Ogg sound effects I want in place for each event.

It wouldn't be so bad if the sound effect didn't play 3 second before the login box even appeared. There isn't even a confusing command-line way to resolve this, it seems.

Nicolay Doytchev (lightrush) wrote :

Setting the sound theme to No Sounds results in no sound notifications in Empathy too and god knows what else... This one here is royal. Please guys, please mod the sounds window with additional tab so we can select what to play and what not similar to what was existent in Jaunty. Alternatively please mod the Login Screen with a tick to remove this sound. Ideally both of these. According to my limited knowledge these are no hard tasks if you know the APIs being used. And you do. At least some of you do.

Afterwards when GNOME decides to wipe this shame upstream - just remove the hack and place the upstream version. If they release it in this cycle..

summary: - Cannot prevent login sound
+ No GUI to configure/disable login sound
Peter Berry (pwberry) wrote :

More generally, there's no GUI to customise GDM at all now. The login screen is not GUI-customisable with respect to theme, whether it uses a user list or requires typing in a username, etc., all of which was possible in Jaunty. The only option available is whether to log in automatically or not. I don't know why all that was removed. Even Windows XP is more configurable now!

airencracken (mjhildum) wrote :

Changing the file name of the login sound seemed to fix it, but that's a ugly kludge. I agree that the lack of GDM theming is pretty puzzling.

Nicolay Doytchev (lightrush) wrote :

I think this is due to a problem at GNOME since they rewrote GDM and ... I guess ... did not have time/desire to write feature full configuration GUI. My guess is that they will write it for the next release. In the mean time - can anyone point me to documentation of how sound themes work so I can write a small GUI configurator?

to be removed (liw) wrote :

Seb, I tried your command from message 21, but it did not turn of the gdm greeter sound.

to be removed (liw) wrote :

However, the command by Cristi in https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+question/86630 did solve it for me. Happier now.

Daniel Aguerrevere (dannns) wrote :

The startup drums sound is getting to be really annoying. Sometimes I forget to mute the sounds when turning off the laptop, and it gets really loud when booting up in quiet places. The lack of a way to configure this would have seemed like a show stopper for me. At least have a checkbox to disable the login and startup sounds, it doesn't have to be an interface to change it, just to disable it.

Przemek K. (azrael) on 2009-11-07
tags: added: regression-release usability
removed: amd64 regression-potential
David Ward (dpward) wrote :

@Oliver -- I must respectfully disagree with you that the "login ready" sound should be on by default for accessibility reasons.

A visually impaired person would not be able to go through the Ubuntu installation process unassisted -- there are no sounds in Ubiquity. Whoever is setting up the system for a visually impaired person would easily be able to enable this sound (or the system manufacturer, in the case of a pre-loaded system).

In any case, the sound could be much more subtle or inconspicuous and serve the same purpose. Instead it sounds tacky, and from an HCI perspective it makes the Ubuntu startup process abrupt in many contexts that others have described (library, meetings, late night), rather than one that is natural and user-centric.

I have to challenge this as a design decision.

Paul Heidelman (phissure) wrote :

This has annoyed me greatly. After muting and lowering the Alert Volume to the lowest level, and changing /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sound to false, the drum sound still played.
Rather than figure out why none of these were working, I decided to just edit the file itself.

In /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/ there are two files that concern this:
 - dialog-question.ogg
 - system-ready.ogg -> dialog-question.ogg

After renaming the symlink file with
sudo mv system-ready.ogg NOsystem-ready.ogg
the sound did not play!

While this is a really bad and temporary solution, it was the only thing I could do to remove the sound until a better solution came along.

Nicolay Doytchev (lightrush) wrote :

@Paul Heidelman
Renaming the files in /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/ is the only way to deactivate certain sounds without affecting the whole sound notification system. If you want to disable not the system-ready sound but the desktop-login sound an you do that by muting sound alerts or selecting No Sounds theme, then this will also disable any sound notifications in Empathy which is a serious problem.

2009/11/10 lightrush <email address hidden>:
> @Paul Heidelman
> Renaming the files in /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/ is the only way to deactivate certain sounds without affecting the whole >sound notification system.

I would say the opposite - renaming files will surely affect your
whole system sounds.
You should just use the solution from one of the above comments:

try:
sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconftool-2 --set
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/settings-manager-plugins/sound/active --type
bool false
or:
sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconftool-2 --set
/desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds --type bool false

--
## Przemysław Kulczycki >><< Azrael Nightwalker ##
# jabber: azrael[na]jabster.pl | tlen: azrael29a #
### www: http://reksio.ftj.agh.edu.pl/~azrael/ ###

Nicolay Doytchev (lightrush) wrote :

@Przemyslaw
You have a point but not exactly. Notice that I mentioned disabling other sounds than System Ready. Both solutions affect the whole system. These fixes:

sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconftool-2 --set
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/settings-manager-plugins/sound/active --type
bool false
or:
sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconftool-2 --set
/desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds --type bool false

turn off all sound notifications for GDM which is OK because we don't run under GDM, but as I mentioned above, if we want to disable the GNOME Login sound (not System Ready) and we apply the same fix for the running user then all sound notifications are turned off including Empathy's since they are integrated with GNOME's.

Whereas renaming the files we do not want to play eradicates ONLY that sound notification wherever it is used. Indeed all applications that use this particular notification will not play it anymore. Fortunately the sound files seem well separated by notification so that problem does not appear.

Based on the aforementioned premises I advise people to simply rename the sounds which they do not want to hear and that will leave the other notifications on.

Jim Braux-Zin (j-brauxzin) wrote :

I think we should focus here on the lack of GUI for disabling the GDM sound
(system ready). The Gnome login sound is more easily disabled even if it
would be worth opening a bug about the problem with Empathy's notifications
etc.

2009/11/10 lightrush <email address hidden>

> @Przemyslaw
> You have a point but not exactly. Notice that I mentioned disabling other
> sounds than System Ready. Both solutions affect the whole system. These
> fixes:
>
> sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconftool-2 --set
> /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/settings-manager-plugins/sound/active --type
> bool false
> or:
> sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconftool-2 --set
> /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds --type bool false
>
> turn off all sound notifications for GDM which is OK because we don't
> run under GDM, but as I mentioned above, if we want to disable the GNOME
> Login sound (not System Ready) and we apply the same fix for the running
> user then all sound notifications are turned off including Empathy's
> since they are integrated with GNOME's.
>
> Whereas renaming the files we do not want to play eradicates ONLY that
> sound notification wherever it is used. Indeed all applications that use
> this particular notification will not play it anymore. Fortunately the
> sound files seem well separated by notification so that problem does not
> appear.
>
> Based on the aforementioned premises I advise people to simply rename
> the sounds which they do not want to hear and that will leave the other
> notifications on.
>
> --
> No GUI to configure/disable login sound
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/437429
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug.
>

Larry (larryfroot) wrote :

this is what I have just posted on the matter in ubuntu forums. It aint delicate, but it worked for me. And as mad as it sounds if a silent ogg was made, renamed desktop-login.ogg and copy pasted into /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo then that would be a bizarre workaround.

I changed my login sound and advised the forums thus:

The ogg file causing the irritation, the desktop-login is to be found in /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo

it is called desktop-login

If you have an ogg to drop in, rename it to desktop-login, change permissions on the above directory to your current username account and group, example below - remembering to seal it up again later on - again example below.

If you haven't a handy ogg and need to convert your media type to ogg

sudo apt-get install soundConverter

video on using it which is very good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7H2dS4uhD4

then change permissions on the folder that holds the desktop login sound,

in a terminal type

sudo chown username:username -R /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo

This will change all the files permissions to your user account (using the recurser switch -R) it is by far best practice to hand it all back to root when we finish here.

Then open up sound converter and click to open a file, the one you want to play instead of the god awful roll of drums. Its costing me a fortune in bananas needed to pay my monkey cus of all the bloody somersaults he pulls off.

Anyways, check the file filter in sound converter is set to spot the file type you wish to convert to ogg, get it up in the app, and press convert. I think it defaults to ogg, cus that's what mine did. Then copy paste the freshly ogged sound into /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo and then seal the directory up with

sudo chown root:root -R /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo

entered into a terminal.

and press enter.

Job done. not neat, not nice, but done.

Larry (larryfroot) wrote :

PS Nearly forgot!!!

Those of you who require a silent login can use ubuntu-tweak as it contains an on/off switch for the login sound in Start Up / Autostart. Now that's simple.

Nicolay Doytchev (lightrush) wrote :

@Larry

Mate not that I want to undervalue the research that you did and the effort that you spent making silent OGG file and replacing the annoying one, but just renaming the annoying files does the job :) . That is:

sudo mv /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/[annoying sound filename].ogg /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/rem-[annoying sound filename].ogg

Or any other name instead of rem-[annoying sound filename].ogg but the same as the original one. Of course deleting the files works just the same.

:)

SteveLoughran (steve-loughran) wrote :

I know this is really annoying, and a regression, but a login sound you can't easily disable is a feature of Windows Mobile and of OS/X. So it could be argued that this feature is simply being consistent with other consumer OSes.

 Of course, if the goal is to be better, then yes, it is a bug

mandras (amagyarkuti) wrote :

I have this odd feeling, that every time I update my OS it is getting more and more stupid. Can anyone remember, that used to when you had more than one workspaces, you could set different wallpapers to each one. I really liked this feature, and it simply disappeared. Not to mention, that in this new version (9.10) you cannot change the login screen, I think this is really a shame, because the OS is becoming less customizable, at the and it will be just like windows, where you can choose from two predefined window themes and that's all. And now this login sound problem, this can be really annoying.

airencracken (mjhildum) wrote :

I completely agree with mandras. I think this is a worrying trend of things to come.

Don't even get me started on GNOME shell. ._.

/off-topic

Glen Turner (gdt-gdt) wrote :

Used the workaround in #21. However, when Update Manager updated gdm the bongos returned. I then had to once again track down the obscure command. Unhappy when the bongos played in the meeting :-(

I don't understand the comment in #17 about this being required for the visually impaired and thus on by default when not one of the other tools required for the visually impaired (screen magnifier, etc) is on by default. Seems a lack of consistency in the user experience.

to be removed (liw) wrote :

The noise has returned for me, as well.

What does one have to do to shut gdm up for good? This is ridiculous.

It's also a violation of the Debian Policy, and unless Ubuntu has changed that part, of Ubuntu Policy.

Przemek K. (azrael) wrote :

Use the solution that I've mentioned earlier:

sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconftool-2 --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/settings-manager-plugins/sound/active --type bool false

or:

sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds --type bool false

The second one will disable sounds for the GDM user so it will not be changed by updates of GDM. It works for me.

to be removed (liw) wrote :

Why will the second gconf setting not be overwritten by updates like the first one did?

EricDHH (ericdhh) wrote :

If ubuntu wont fix that, we need a system service that set the gconf on every bootup. It occurs on all 3 machines here and my collegues at work are unhappy by this noise. Together with the broken eee volume keys this give full power drumsound at boot. Di i have to glue the speakers?

gw0 (gw-launchpad) wrote :

Well, I see two better options than physically doing something to the speakers:

1. Use another display/login manager. There are plenty of other ones out there, gdm is just happens to be the default for Gnome... Actually that's exactly what GNU/Linux is all about - choice - because no one forces you to use crappy software (what the default Ubuntu installation is becoming). So just remove or somehow disable the default packages and install the good ones.

2. Create a simple package that inserts a hook in apt-get post-installation phase for setting the above gconf values (disabling sound).

Przemek K. (azrael) wrote :

2009/12/13 Lars Wirzenius <email address hidden>:
> Why will the second gconf setting not be overwritten by updates like the
> first one did?

My statement was based just on my experience during Karmic cycle.
I trust the package managers not to change such global setting as
sound mute/unmute.

--
## Przemysław Kulczycki >><< Azrael Nightwalker ##
# jabber: azrael[na]jabster.pl | tlen: azrael29a #
### www: http://reksio.ftj.agh.edu.pl/~azrael/ ###

I wonder why they removed such option anyways while it is still possible to change it via gconftool.

description: updated
description: updated
Paul Sladen (sladen) on 2009-12-13
description: updated

Work around "sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds --type bool false" does NOT work.

Sorry, user (username) is not allowed to execute '/usr/bin/gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds --type bool false' as gdm on (hostname).

But the line below does. So I edited the workaround above.

sudo su gdm -c "gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds --type bool false"

description: updated

I believe this is more important the just "Wishlist". I have no problem using a terminal, but the average user does. It is ridiculous for a Ubuntu user to have to search the web just to simply stop the LOUD sound gdm makes.

Ubuntu has higher standard then that.

Martin Erik Werner (arand) wrote :

gconf-disabling workaround did not work for me, renaming did.

Jérôme (jerome-bouat) wrote :

This bugs affects me too and I don't know how to explain to a Windows user why we just can't disable the startup sound.

Once again, the Linux community is looking funny for Windows users :D

Nick Glynn (exosyst) wrote :

I made a GUI in pyGtk that allows a couple of tweaks to be applied to GDM2 including the disabling of the logon sound in a nice easy to use manner. It may not be what you guys are after exactly but hey, at least it's an option. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8518160

This is stupid. It sounds like a popped in a DVD of the Lion King every time I log on. My proposed workaround is to switch to Fedora.

Martin Lindhe (martinlindhe) wrote :

jerkface: The underlying problem seems to be that how the audio preferences is handled has been rethought but not completely re-implemented in time for Gnome 2.28 release (ubuntu 9.10)
This is a bug in Gnome which Fedora also uses, rather than Ubuntu.

Sure, but they don't have the awful and LOUD login music.

I tried the pyGtk GUI Nick Glynn suggest in comment #61. It works great. Great Job exosyst at ubuntuforums.org

Michael Lueck (mlueck) wrote :

subscribe

marcus- (cneman5) wrote :

I Love Ubuntu Linux but this is sad. I don't like the drum sound. Not being able to disable it in a GUI is " :) " well it is free software. However if Ubuntu didn't have little simple problems like this it would almost be a perfect OS "except for Totem as the default movie player" it's awful software.

Dylan McCall (dylanmccall) wrote :

Those seeking a GUI workaround, there is a solution! You just need to
pick a different sound theme. Unfortunately there's next to no
selection, but you can install the package sound-theme-freedesktop
(the one Fedora uses), which is VERY tastefully done. Ubuntu's is a
tad out of date vs. Fedora (no pop sound when you adjust volume,
mainly), but the login sound is recorded at a sane volume and a bit
shorter.

Right now there's a big chunk of GUI to configure the alert sound from
the sound preferences. Seems a bit arbitrary; definitely could use
some review to decide which sound options are most important to
people. Maybe a nice way to fix this would be to identify the priority
of sounds done via Canberra and give the user an option for whether he
wants low priority ones.

I have been using the PPA of this project: https://launchpad.net/gdm2setup/ It fixes the sound problem and has several other features.

Garth Smith (garth) wrote :

As of today I still hear "drums" at login. I cannot have this sound playing in the middle of meetings, yet this is still impossible to mute without the command line.

I consider this very grave and sad - it's major regression from gdm1, as this one was fully configurable and gdm2 is a mere shadow of it. Furthermore I'm running now Lucid, which is an LTS, so LTS users have to bear it for the next 3 years. It clearly shows for me, that this project is seriously missing some business attitude in regard to usability. This thing here is not a paper-cut, it's a darn samurai-sword-cut!

Chris Coulson (chrisccoulson) wrote :

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 15:26 +0000, Philipp Morger wrote:
> I consider this very grave and sad - it's major regression from gdm1, as
> this one was fully configurable and gdm2 is a mere shadow of it.
> Furthermore I'm running now Lucid, which is an LTS, so LTS users have to
> bear it for the next 3 years. It clearly shows for me, that this project
> is seriously missing some business attitude in regard to usability. This
> thing here is not a paper-cut, it's a darn samurai-sword-cut!
>
Comments like that aren't helpful in the slightest. What the project is
missing is some man-power to implement the changes needed. We know that
the feature is missing, we want to be able to implement it and we know
that users want the feature too - we don't need people like you writing
unhelpful comments like this.

Next time: Don't implement things, that aren't ready for production (read: half-baked). Otherwise you'll get tons of mad users.

If you don't get tons of mad users, it's either because they don't care, or because there is no user-base or because of people like you who try to shut people mouth just because they say what's going wrong.

I could have simply said "me 2" or "+1", but I considered it would be more helpful for does people who just think "WHOA, latest is greatest" that it might have some implications, which they didn't consider - so I spelled it out for them, so they might reconsider next time.

And like in all things, the more people scream for a solution, the faster usually business attends to it - you usually don't get a solution for something that doesn't impose a problem first hand.

BTW: I forgot to add, that it's a lousy idea to play a sound when a maschine is ready to log in, imagine an open office of 30 workstation between 8:00 and 8:10 am. I consider it a thing that should not have been copied from Mac, Win et. al. in the first place. So if you would ask me, I would vote for completely rid of the code that plays any sound when a maschine boots.

regards
Philipp

Ben (ben-lemire) wrote :
Download full text (3.2 KiB)

The real question is; who actually likes login sounds? I can see
maybe the first time you login after installing Ubuntu, or maybe the
first time after upgrading to a new release, but EVERY SINGLE TIME you
log in? Why is that even remotely desirable?

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Philipp Morger
<email address hidden> wrote:
> Next time: Don't implement things, that aren't ready for production
> (read: half-baked). Otherwise you'll get tons of mad users.
>
> If you don't get tons of mad users, it's either because they don't care,
> or because there is no user-base or because of people like you who try
> to shut people mouth just because they say what's going wrong.
>
> I could have simply said "me 2" or "+1", but I considered it would be
> more helpful for does people who just think "WHOA, latest is greatest"
> that it might have some implications, which they didn't consider - so I
> spelled it out for them, so they might reconsider next time.
>
> And like in all things, the more people scream for a solution, the
> faster usually business attends to it - you usually don't get a solution
> for something that doesn't impose a problem first hand.
>
> BTW: I forgot to add, that it's a lousy idea to play a sound when a
> maschine is ready to log in, imagine an open office of 30 workstation
> between 8:00 and 8:10 am. I consider it a thing that should not have
> been copied from Mac, Win et. al. in the first place. So if you would
> ask me, I would vote for completely rid of the code that plays any sound
> when a maschine boots.
>
> regards
> Philipp
>
> --
> No GUI to configure/disable login sound
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/437429
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in GDM: The Gnome Display Manager: Unknown
> Status in “gdm” package in Ubuntu: Triaged
> Status in “ubuntu-sounds” package in Ubuntu: Invalid
>
> Bug description:
> ==============
> WORKAROUNDS
> ==============
> NOTE: These workarounds disable the "system ready" sound (the drums). They will not disable the "successful login" and "logout" sounds. Go to Settings -> Sounds and set the sound theme to "no sounds" to disable these.
>
> 1) Disable all sounds for the login screen via gconf
> $ sudo su gdm -c "gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds --type bool false"
>
> -OR-
>
> 2) Rename the system-ready.ogg sound file
> $ sudo mv -v /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/system-ready.ogg{,.disabled}
>
> ==============
> BUG
> ==============
> When you log into Karmic using a Gnome session, you get a drum sound.  There are many situations where you need a silent boot process, but it appears that this is impossible under Karmic.
>
> In Jaunty and previous, you could configure gdm to log you in silently.  This configuration has been removed from Karmic.  Even opening Sound Preferences and choosing "No sounds" for "Sound theme" or disabling window and button sounds does not prevent the login sound from occurring.
>
> Users must have the ability to login silently.
>
> Package: xsplash 0.8.1-0ubuntu1
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.31-11.36-generic
> SourcePackage: xsplash
> Uname: Linux 2.6.31-11-generic x8...

Read more...

Ben Crisford (bencrisford) wrote :
Download full text (5.3 KiB)

To answer your question - I like login sounds :P.

I guess that some people do, and some people dont. So should it not be an
option during installation?

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Ben <email address hidden> wrote:

> The real question is; who actually likes login sounds? I can see
> maybe the first time you login after installing Ubuntu, or maybe the
> first time after upgrading to a new release, but EVERY SINGLE TIME you
> log in? Why is that even remotely desirable?
>
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Philipp Morger
> <email address hidden> wrote:
> > Next time: Don't implement things, that aren't ready for production
> > (read: half-baked). Otherwise you'll get tons of mad users.
> >
> > If you don't get tons of mad users, it's either because they don't care,
> > or because there is no user-base or because of people like you who try
> > to shut people mouth just because they say what's going wrong.
> >
> > I could have simply said "me 2" or "+1", but I considered it would be
> > more helpful for does people who just think "WHOA, latest is greatest"
> > that it might have some implications, which they didn't consider - so I
> > spelled it out for them, so they might reconsider next time.
> >
> > And like in all things, the more people scream for a solution, the
> > faster usually business attends to it - you usually don't get a solution
> > for something that doesn't impose a problem first hand.
> >
> > BTW: I forgot to add, that it's a lousy idea to play a sound when a
> > maschine is ready to log in, imagine an open office of 30 workstation
> > between 8:00 and 8:10 am. I consider it a thing that should not have
> > been copied from Mac, Win et. al. in the first place. So if you would
> > ask me, I would vote for completely rid of the code that plays any sound
> > when a maschine boots.
> >
> > regards
> > Philipp
> >
> > --
> > No GUI to configure/disable login sound
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/437429
> > You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> > of the bug.
> >
> > Status in GDM: The Gnome Display Manager: Unknown
> > Status in “gdm” package in Ubuntu: Triaged
> > Status in “ubuntu-sounds” package in Ubuntu: Invalid
> >
> > Bug description:
> > ==============
> > WORKAROUNDS
> > ==============
> > NOTE: These workarounds disable the "system ready" sound (the drums).
> They will not disable the "successful login" and "logout" sounds. Go to
> Settings -> Sounds and set the sound theme to "no sounds" to disable these.
> >
> > 1) Disable all sounds for the login screen via gconf
> > $ sudo su gdm -c "gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds
> --type bool false"
> >
> > -OR-
> >
> > 2) Rename the system-ready.ogg sound file
> > $ sudo mv -v /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/system-ready.ogg{,.disabled}
> >
> > ==============
> > BUG
> > ==============
> > When you log into Karmic using a Gnome session, you get a drum sound.
> There are many situations where you need a silent boot process, but it
> appears that this is impossible under Karmic.
> >
> > In Jaunty and previous, you could configure gdm to log you in silently.
> This configuration has been removed from Karmic. ...

Read more...

Nicolay Doytchev (lightrush) wrote :

Does anyone know what the status of this bug is for Lucid?

Ákos Maróy (akos-maroy) wrote :

it's the same in lucid

I hope this gets solved somehow. the whole login window pereferences options have been removed - on 8.10, one could still set the login screen preferences easily via System -> Preferences -> Login Screen Settings - now the only single option is to specify if someone would be logged in automatically.

no options to set the login theme, sounds, anything..

Martin Olsson (mnemo) wrote :

The volume of the drum is very often too loud and I tried 5 different ways of disabling it without success before I found this bug. I would love to see this fixed for Lucid.

Martin Pitt (pitti) on 2010-03-17
Changed in gdm (Ubuntu Lucid):
assignee: Ubuntu Desktop Bugs (desktop-bugs) → Sebastien Bacher (seb128)

Why reinventing the wheel? There is a configuration tool that offers the possibility to disable Loginsounds:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1358026

http://www.webupd8.org/2009/12/gdm-2-gui-configuration-tool-ubuntu.html

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

The tool you list is known and being review for universe but has design issues and limitations and not something we want to start using at beta time and the user interface and feature freezes for this cycle.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package gdm - 2.29.92-0ubuntu5

---------------
gdm (2.29.92-0ubuntu5) lucid; urgency=low

  [ Robert Ancell ]
  * debian/patches/09_gdmsetup.patch:
  * debian/patches/15_gdmsetup_default_session.patch:
  * debian/patches/09_gdmserver_sound_settings.patch:
    - Add startup sound configuration
    - Merged 15_gdmsetup_default_session.patch into 09_gdmsetup.patch

   [ Didier Roche ]
   * debian/patches/09_gdmserver_sound_settings.patch: (LP: #437429)
   * debian/patches/15_gdmsetup_default_session.patch:
     - add gconftool calls to get/set sound parameter
     - fix some wrong signal call and missing callback function
   * debian/patches/25_update_gconf_directories.patch:
     - readd $HOME/.gconf between default and mandatory to take changes
       into account
 -- Didier Roche <email address hidden> Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:11:33 +0100

Changed in gdm (Ubuntu Lucid):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
NoOp (glgxg) wrote :

On 03/24/2010 03:20 AM, Launchpad Bug Tracker wrote:
> This bug was fixed in the package gdm - 2.29.92-0ubuntu5
>
> ---------------
> gdm (2.29.92-0ubuntu5) lucid; urgency=low
>
> [ Robert Ancell ]
> * debian/patches/09_gdmsetup.patch:
> * debian/patches/15_gdmsetup_default_session.patch:
> * debian/patches/09_gdmserver_sound_settings.patch:
> - Add startup sound configuration
> - Merged 15_gdmsetup_default_session.patch into 09_gdmsetup.patch
>
> [ Didier Roche ]
> * debian/patches/09_gdmserver_sound_settings.patch: (LP: #437429)
> * debian/patches/15_gdmsetup_default_session.patch:
> - add gconftool calls to get/set sound parameter
> - fix some wrong signal call and missing callback function
> * debian/patches/25_update_gconf_directories.patch:
> - readd $HOME/.gconf between default and mandatory to take changes
> into account
> -- Didier Roche <email address hidden> Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:11:33 +0100
>
> ** Changed in: gdm (Ubuntu Lucid)
> Status: Triaged => Fix Released
>

Thank you!

Barry Warsaw (barry) wrote :

Something about this is still not right. I'm running Lucid beta, updated to current packages. I have "Play login sound" disabled in Login Screen Settings, and yet when I log in, I still get a login sound. This machine was a fresh install of Lucid, but instead of drum sounds on login, I'm getting the old music score.

disable from System/Preferences/Startup Applications/Gnome Login Sound

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Barry Warsaw <email address hidden> wrote:

> Something about this is still not right. I'm running Lucid beta,
> updated to current packages. I have "Play login sound" disabled in
> Login Screen Settings, and yet when I log in, I still get a login sound.
> This machine was a fresh install of Lucid, but instead of drum sounds on
> login, I'm getting the old music score.
>
> --
> No GUI to configure/disable login sound
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/437429
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
> Artwork Team, which is subscribed to ubuntu-sounds in ubuntu.
>

Changed in gdm:
status: Unknown → Invalid
yurik81 (yurik81) wrote :

Removing /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/system-ready.ogg worked for me, thanks. Now all is OK, drums completely disappear.

Adam Funk (a-funk) wrote :

Why can't the stupid sound effect be turned off permanently from a nice readable, editable /etc/*.conf file?

NoOp (glgxg) wrote :

Seems to be back with gdm (2.30.2-0ubuntu3). Just installed several 10.04.1 partitions and the drum sound can't be turned off via 'System|Preferences|Sound' or 'System/Preferences|Startup Applications|Gnome Login Sound'. I'm considering replacing '/usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/system-ready.ogg' with the M$ Windows startup sound instead...

NoOp (glgxg) wrote :

OK, this works:
<http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/07/disableturnoff-startup-booting-sound-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx/>
I've found just changing System –> Administration –> Login Screen uncheck ‘Play login sound’ works & it's not necessary to modify ‘Gnome Login Sound’ in System –> Preferences –> Startup Applications.
Sorry for the added "noise".

Changed in gdm:
importance: Unknown → Medium
status: Invalid → Unknown
Jon Loldrup (loldrup) wrote :

This bug is also around in Maverick Meerkat :(

Jon Loldrup (loldrup) wrote :

I wrote: "This bug is also around in Maverick Meerkat :("

Let me clarify:
* In System –> Administration –> Login Screen I have unchecked ‘Play login sound’
* In System –> Settings –> Sounds I have chosen the sound theme to "no sounds"

If user NoOp is right in comment #88 about unchecking 'Play login sound' fixes the problem in Lucid, then the behavior I report is a regression for Maverick Meerkat.

NoOp (glgxg) wrote :

On 10/16/2010 02:42 PM, Jon Loldrup wrote:
> I wrote: "This bug is also around in Maverick Meerkat :("
>
> Let me clarify:
> * In System –> Administration –> Login Screen I have unchecked ‘Play login sound’
> * In System –> Settings –> Sounds I have chosen the sound theme to "no sounds"
>
> If user NoOp is right in comment #88 about unchecking 'Play login sound'
> fixes the problem in Lucid, then the behavior I report is a regression
> for Maverick Meerkat.
>

Don't know. I no longer install/test 10.10 due to
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/626974
[ABI change in xorg 1.9 breaks legacy nvidia-96 and nvidia-173 drivers
in Maverick]

When I can run 10.10 on my systems with nvidia-96 then I'll have another
look. Until then my systems will stay at 10.04.

Matt Perry (mp) wrote :

I can confirm that this bug still exists in Ubuntu 10.10. I installed Ubuntu on a laptop and the sound still plays even though "Play login sound" is unchecked in the Login Screen Settings.

Tormod Volden (tormodvolden) wrote :

I wonder if there is some confusion here to what exactly is the "login sound". The double drums as the login screen appears is played (if at all) by gdm and is configured in System->Administration->Login Screen->Play login sound.

The sound tune played after you have successfully entered the password (and technically logged in) and your gnome session is starting, is a user setting in System->Preferences->Startup Applications->GNOME Login Sound.

Matt Perry (mp) wrote :

I don't think there is any confusion. On a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.10 the double drums play when the GDM login screen appears. Once the user logs in and goes to System->Administration->Login Screen->Play login sound the user can see that the option is unchecked, yet the double drums will continue to play when the login screen appears.

NoOp (glgxg) wrote :

Successful login sound (Ubuntu theme) can be disabled (on Maverick 10.10) via:
rename desktop-login.ogg (/usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo) to desktop-login.ogg_bak
for the drums
rename system-ready.ogg to system-ready.ogg_bak

It's a regression & should be fixed - the GUI methods do not work.
IMO these sounds should simply be *disabled* by default. Leaving them enabled is both irritating and seems to try to replicate (and aggrivate users) Windows with these silly startup & login/logout sounds. Nothing more embarassing than firing up your laptop in a college class, business meeting, etc., with sound way up and having everyone turn around and look at you while Ubuntu runs through it's silly drum roll & login theme. As mentioned in #87, perhaps I'll just replace with the Windows sounds instead... at least that way I can claim that I'm a poor Windows user that doesn't know how to turn off these sounds on my Windows OS.

Adam Funk (a-funk) wrote :

I agree with NoOp: the sounds give an unprofessional, "dumbed down" impression.

Matt Perry (mp) wrote :

There is a plan to create a new sound theme. Please see this blueprint (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/design-m-sound-theme) and this bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-sounds/+bug/539169).

Ghoti (dopeghoti) wrote :

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Matt Perry <email address hidden> wrote:
> There is a plan to create a new sound theme. Please see this blueprint
> (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/design-m-sound-theme) and
> this bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-
> sounds/+bug/539169).

Even if there is a plan for _new_ sounds, however pleasing they might
be, allowing for a user to opt for _no_ sounds should still be doable
without renaming files buried in /usr/share/sounds/.

--
Rob Palkowski
"Don't believe everything you think."
    —anon

Tormod Volden (tormodvolden) wrote :

This report has turned into a discussion forum, and the original issue "No GUI to configure/disable login sound" has been fixed and released, since there is a "System->Administration->Login Screen->Play login sound". If this option does not work for someone, please file a new bug using "ubuntu-bug gdm".

Jacopo Moronato (jmoronat) wrote :

That option is working as expected, it disables the ubuntu login theme. However, drums are still played.

yurik81 (yurik81) wrote :

Same for me. Please disable this drum sound. It's annoying.

malclocke (malc-wholemeal) wrote :

Bug appears to be due to the GUI representing the wrong default value. If there is no gconf key set for /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds the 'System -> Administration -> Login Screen' shows 'Play Login Sound' unchecked, but gconf reports true for the value.

To reproduce:

  # Unset the config key
  $ sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --unset /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds

  # gconf will now report true by default
  $ sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --get /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds
  true

  # However the call used by the ubuntu patched GDM will return 'no value'
  $ sudo gconftool-2 --direct -g /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds --config-source=xml:readwrite:/var/lib/gdm/.gconf
  No value set for `/desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds'

  # Opening the 'System -> Administration -> Login Screen' will show 'Play Login Sound' as false

The file debian/patches/09_gdmserver_gconf_settings.patch contains the erroneous code, I'm afraid I don't really understand well enough what's going on there to provide a patch. I suspect that it's the default fall through value of false from gdm_settings_get_bool_gconf_value()

As a quick fix for users, simply checking and then unchecking the 'Play Login Sound' checkbox in the GUI will explicitly set the value to false, and the login drum sound should be disabled.

FernanAguero (fernan-ciudad) wrote :

This feature is being requested repeatedly, in different forums. The issue is certainly not urgent or bad enough to merit attention from developers, but it _IS_ annoying.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/437429
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-utils/+bug/45739
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/114160
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=438707
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/mute-sound-on-login

I'm posting a comment to this one because it seems to be the one who is getting more attention. But it seems like there are different interpretations for the 'silent boot' issue: i) a problem with GDM (how to set up a silent login); ii) a more general issue with Ubuntu (make it respond to the 'mute button' present in laptops).

Ubuntu will keep its annoying status for the foreseeable future if this is not addressed.

Almost all laptops sold nowadays have mute buttons. All laptop owners sooner or later will come across that moment when you wish your laptop would respond to the mute button. When reading in a silent library, in class, when listening to someone else's presentation, or at 4 am in the morning when the rest of the house is fast asleep.

Read the other bug reports on this issue. Windows allows you to mute the laptop during the boot/startup process. And so does the Mac OS on their laptops.

In my case (Dell XPS M1210, Ubuntu 10), the mute button works late during the boot process. The machine starts responding to it halfway after starting the login process in gdm ... with unpredictable results (sometimes during the greeting sound from my gnome session, sometimes after that).

I don't care whether the mute button in my laptop actually triggers a gdm conf change, or if it does its magic at a lower level (sound system). I just want the damn laptop to be quiet!

The proposed solution of having a GUI to configure this is useless in many situations, because you often realize too late that you'd like a silent startup (shut down the laptop last night without considering where your next boot will be).

Different but reports make attempts at identifying the culprit (gdm, alsa) and in setting some aims and deliverables. The configuration tweaks one can make in gdm are OK for desktops, but although they may have the same final result (no sound on login) they do not address the other main issue with laptops: making Ubuntu respond to the mute button.

We need to raise the status of this issue. This particular bug report is about GDM, maybe we have to take this somewhere else? pulseaudio? the kernel? I'm pretty ignorant about these myself, so please bare with me, but I think this issue can't go on like this ... Windows has been responding to the mute button in laptops since Windows 95!

Natty responds to sound control buttons much faster than in Lucid or Maverick on my laptop. Could anyone check if this is still an issue in Natty?

Daniel Hahler (blueyed) wrote :

@FernanAguero: this bug is about a particular issue, do not request something else here.
@Sergey: the original bug's problem still persists.

I will re-open this, because it regressed, at least for Natty.

I guess https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/437429/comments/102 explains it the best.

Changed in gdm (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Released → Triaged
Daniel Hahler (blueyed) wrote :

Sorry, will close this again: the GUI is there after all, and it's just that you have enable and then disable it to make it work.

See bug 778569 about that.

Changed in gdm (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Released

I wish this was more like Windows 7. See "Play Windows Startup Sound" :
http://neartalk.com/ss/2015-06-08_004_1294x554.png

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Related blueprints

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.