[MASTER] silently fails to install software after PolicyKit error

Bug #785117 reported by Selene ToyKeeper on 2011-05-19
148
This bug affects 28 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
software-center (Ubuntu)
Medium
Vasya

Bug Description

Whenever the policykit authentication agent isn't running (ie failsafe sessions, custom sessions etc), then the install/remove buttons briefly become insensitive, after which the transaction fails and the buttons become sensitive again.

---

If I try to install software with Software Center, nothing happens aside from dumping some errors to the shell I ran it from. The install button greys out for a moment then goes back to its original state. This is on Ubuntu 11.04 with software-center 4.0.1 and policykit-1-gnome 0.99-1ubuntu4.

I suspect this probably has something to do with me not running gnome, kde, xfce, or any other desktop environment. I have a window manager (sawfish) and that's about it.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Run software-center from a terminal of some sort.
2. Select a package.
3. Click "Install".

Actual results:
Errors dumped to parent shell, and then the Install button goes back to a normal, clickable state.

Expected results:
User is asked for sudo password, then software is installed.
If anything goes wrong, Software Center should notify the user through its GUI in case they aren't running it from a shell. (dumping errors to the shell is also okay, but shouldn't be the sole error-reporting mechanism)

Additional information: attached below

Related branches

Selene ToyKeeper (toykeeper) wrote :

This is what I see in my shell during the Software Center session, up to the point where it fails:

[-(Thu 2011-05-19 5:36:31)-(~/)-]> software-center (selene @ GiR)
2011-05-19 05:36:40,903 - softwarecenter.fixme - WARNING - logs to the root logger: '('/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/view/widgets/mkit_themes.py', 675, 'retrieve')'
2011-05-19 05:36:40,903 - root - WARNING - No styling hints for Raleigh were found... using Human hints.
/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/app.py:1192: Warning: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  self.window_main.show_all()
2011-05-19 05:36:41,038 - softwarecenter.fixme - WARNING - logs to the root logger: '('/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/zeitgeist/client.py', 367, 'reconnect_monitors')'
2011-05-19 05:36:41,038 - zeitgeist.client - INFO - Reconnected to Zeitgeist engine...
/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/SimpleGtkbuilderApp.py:50: Warning: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  gtk.main()
2011-05-19 05:36:43,704 - softwarecenter.app - INFO - software-center-agent finished with status 1
/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/view/channelpane.py:85: Warning: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  self.notebook.set_current_page(self.PAGE_APPLIST)
/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/models/appstore.py:194: Warning: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  gtk.main_iteration()
2011-05-19 05:37:40,110 - softwarecenter.backend - WARNING - _on_trans_error: org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.Error.Failed: ('system-bus-name', {'name': ':1.127'}): org.debian.apt.install-or-remove-packages

# ^^^ tried to install 7zip

2011-05-19 05:37:55,966 - softwarecenter.backend - WARNING - _on_trans_error: org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.Error.Failed: ('system-bus-name', {'name': ':1.127'}): org.debian.apt.install-or-remove-packages

# ^^^ clicked "Install" again, then waited a bit

2011-05-19 05:38:39,930 - softwarecenter.backend - WARNING - daemon dies, ignoring: <AptTransaction object at 0x476bb90 (aptdaemon+client+AptTransaction at 0x35f0560)> exit-failed
2011-05-19 05:38:40,221 - softwarecenter.backend - WARNING - daemon dies, ignoring: <AptTransaction object at 0x3f525f0 (aptdaemon+client+AptTransaction at 0x35ec7a0)> exit-failed

# Eventually closed the app.
[-(Thu 2011-05-19 5:39:59)-(~/)-]>

Kiwinote (kiwinote) on 2011-08-07
summary: - silently fails to install software after PolicyKit error
+ [MASTER] silently fails to install software after PolicyKit error
Changed in software-center (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Triaged
description: updated
Selene ToyKeeper (toykeeper) wrote :

To clarify, there are two bugs here. One is that Software Center doesn't work without PolicyKit running (could use gksu or similar as a fallback), and the other is that Software Center doesn't show an error to the user if there is an unhandled exception.

nicholas (winer-nicholas) wrote :

I have a similar problem

Bug description:
  My Synaptic Package Manager will not load from the menu. It will load
  from the Terminal. Sodtware centre will load but will not install or
  remove programmes. Can anyone help?

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
  Package: software-center 5.0.4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-16.28-generic 3.0.17
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-16-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Wed Mar 7 15:15:26 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release i386 (20111012)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: software-center
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2012-02-17 (19 days ago)

Dave Morley (davmor2) on 2012-04-17
tags: added: ca-escalated
Michael Vogt (mvo) wrote :

I think the best course of action here is to fix the policykit-agent issue in policykit itself (somehow, just waving my hands currently ;), next is to fix it in aptdaemon, i.e. if its not available, to try start it somehow.

Of course, the fact that s-c does show a error is also a bug that needs investigation.

I think that sounds like the right course of action. will see. Thanks

On 15/05/12 20:27, Michael Vogt wrote:
> I think the best course of action here is to fix the policykit-agent
> issue in policykit itself (somehow, just waving my hands currently ;),
> next is to fix it in aptdaemon, i.e. if its not available, to try start
> it somehow.
>
> Of course, the fact that s-c does show a error is also a bug that needs
> investigation.
>

tags: removed: ca-escalated
Michael Vogt (mvo) on 2012-06-21
Changed in software-center (Ubuntu):
milestone: none → ubuntu-12.10
assignee: nobody → Michael Vogt (mvo)
Roberto Frega (roberto-frega) wrote :

I have the same problem. However i do not seem to understand how to solve, that is to say what does exactly means "to fix the policykit-agent issue in policykit itself".
What should exactly be done to fix the bug?

nicholas (winer-nicholas) wrote :

First thing to do is to check that the policy kit authentication agent
is activated in your list of start up programmes.

On 23/07/12 08:47, Roberto Frega wrote:
> I have the same problem. However i do not seem to understand how to solve, that is to say what does exactly means "to fix the policykit-agent issue in policykit itself".
> What should exactly be done to fix the bug?
>

Roberto Frega (roberto-frega) wrote :

Many thanks, that solved the problem. In fact, the policy kit authentication agent was NOT activated in the list of start up programmes

Selene ToyKeeper (toykeeper) wrote :

FWIW, here is a short guide on how to install purchases manually, if you need to work around issues such as this bug.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pay/FAQs/Manual_Install

I find it easier to do manual installs than to deal with gnome, but I'm a bit old-fashioned about all this newfangled desktop-environment stuff.

Pedro Romano (pmcnr) wrote :

Thanks for the tip Selene! I am also partial to the command line, but
I thought that this time I should try to make my small contribution to
iron out this annoying wrinkle. We don't want to alienate our faithful
users who are not comfortable with a command line. :)

--Pedro.

On 24 July 2012 08:23, Selene Scriven <email address hidden> wrote:
> FWIW, here is a short guide on how to install purchases manually, if you
> need to work around issues such as this bug.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pay/FAQs/Manual_Install
>
> I find it easier to do manual installs than to deal with gnome, but I'm
> a bit old-fashioned about all this newfangled desktop-environment stuff.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/785117
>
> Title:
> [MASTER] silently fails to install software after PolicyKit error
>
> Status in “software-center” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> Whenever the policykit authentication agent isn't running (ie failsafe
> sessions, custom sessions etc), then the install/remove buttons
> briefly become insensitive, after which the transaction fails and the
> buttons become sensitive again.
>
> ---
>
> If I try to install software with Software Center, nothing happens
> aside from dumping some errors to the shell I ran it from. The
> install button greys out for a moment then goes back to its original
> state. This is on Ubuntu 11.04 with software-center 4.0.1 and
> policykit-1-gnome 0.99-1ubuntu4.
>
> I suspect this probably has something to do with me not running gnome,
> kde, xfce, or any other desktop environment. I have a window manager
> (sawfish) and that's about it.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. Run software-center from a terminal of some sort.
> 2. Select a package.
> 3. Click "Install".
>
> Actual results:
> Errors dumped to parent shell, and then the Install button goes back to a normal, clickable state.
>
> Expected results:
> User is asked for sudo password, then software is installed.
> If anything goes wrong, Software Center should notify the user through its GUI in case they aren't running it from a shell. (dumping errors to the shell is also okay, but shouldn't be the sole error-reporting mechanism)
>
> Additional information: attached below
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+bug/785117/+subscriptions

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package software-center - 5.3.9

---------------
software-center (5.3.9) quantal; urgency=low

  * lp:~mvo/software-center/drive-by-update-terms:
    - small tweak to make update.py more data driven
  * lp:~mvo/software-center/fix-index-update-terms-bug:
    - fix bug in term indexer that caused lots of single char terms
      getting added to the xapian DB
  * lp:~mvo/software-center/polkit-lp785117:
    - use apports new recoverable error dialog feature for cases when there
      is a generic polkit error so that we can gather data on what
      might causing this issue(s) LP: #785117
  * lp:~mvo/software-center/unity-lens-plus-wildcard-fix:
    - add new "dash search plugin" category under "Themes & Tweaks" that
      shows unity-lens-* packages. Actually not as straightforward as it
      looks due to a problem with the xapian QueryParser and the "-" special
      charackter (LP: #1025579)
 -- Michael Vogt <email address hidden> Thu, 23 Aug 2012 16:38:06 +0200

Changed in software-center (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
kerrie (kerriehenryansin) wrote :

org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.Error.Failed: ('system-bus-name', {'name': ':1.466'}): org.debian.apt.install-or-remove-packages

Changed in software-center (Ubuntu):
assignee: Michael Vogt (mvo) → kerrie (kerriehenryansin)
Vasya (fshj32) on 2015-01-07
Changed in software-center (Ubuntu):
assignee: kerrie (kerriehenryansin) → Vasya (fshj32)
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers