Binary package hint: plymouth
Maverick pre-RC ISO testing.
I got this error message on screen just before Desktop appears on the screen (after selecting Try Ubuntu in Ubiquity)
I remember I see it very often in Lucid installed system too.
Annoying because boot is not so smooth with this.
This message is consistently emitted by plymouth whenever plymouth is included in the initramfs (either because it's needed by some other initramfs script such as cryptsetup or casper, or because the user has themself configured it to be included to provide a prettier boot experience. While plymouth normally hides the message, it is sometimes exposed either because something has switched VT7 into text mode (e.g., during suspend/resume) or because of a bug in plymouth itself. The former is aesthetic, but the latter results in many bugs filed about the message which is *not* related to their problems, making it difficult to triage plymouth bug reports.
This can be addressed for the natty release by forward-copying the maverick-proposed SRU to natty.
1) run 'echo FRAMEBUFFER=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/plymouth' as root
2) run 'update-initramfs -u' to regenerate the initramfs, with plymouth added
3) reboot with the splash screen enabled
4) press escape as soon as the splash screen appears; confirm that you see the GLib warning
5) install the plymouth package from -proposed
6) reboot repeatedly, and use the same technique as in step 4, to confirm that the warning message no longer appears
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
Package: plymouth 0.8.2-2ubuntu5
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.33-generic 188.8.131.52
Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
Date: Tue Sep 28 15:25:59 2010
LiveMediaBuild: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release Candidate i386 (20100928)
MachineType: Acer Extensa 5220
no product info available
ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/casper/vmlinuz noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent file=/cdrom/preseed/hostname.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- maybe-ubiquity
ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies LTD
dmi.product.name: Extensa 5220