Disastrous portuguese translation of GTG name at Ubuntu Software Center

Bug #955728 reported by andre felix on 2012-03-15
10
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Getting Things GNOME!
Undecided
Unassigned
Ubuntu Translations
Low
Ubuntu Portuguese Translators

Bug Description

I'm sorry if it's the wrong place to report it. But I couldn't find a place to submit a translation bug suggestion. If I'm submitting it at the wrong place, please realocate it

The fact is: At the Ubuntu Software Center, the Portuguese version of the app title was disastrously translated from "Getting Things Gnome" (great name, by the way) to "Obtendo Dados Gnome", which translatating back to English would be something like "Obtaining Gnome data". It destroyed the understanding of the purpose of the app, so I'm sure many brazilian and portuguese users don't even know about this wonderful app existence. I speak with certainty, cause I only heard of the GTG after a long time looking for a good task manager app.

Another flaw that has aggravated the problem is the lack of good keywords in the description of the app. The most obvious absence of words like "to do list" or "task manager" make it possible for the entire description to be readed without knowing exactly what is the app about.

Lionel Dricot (ploum) wrote :

Hello, I've added the bug to Ubuntu. It's not a GTG bug but an Ubuntu one. Thanks for reporting it.

Changed in gtg:
status: New → Invalid

Nice,

I hope it helps. ;)

--
*André Felix*

2012/3/15 Lionel Dricot <email address hidden>

> Hello, I've added the bug to Ubuntu. It's not a GTG bug but an Ubuntu
> one. Thanks for reporting it.
>
> ** Also affects: gtg (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
> ** Changed in: gtg
> Status: New => Invalid
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/955728
>
> Title:
> Disastrous portuguese translation of GTG name at Ubuntu Software
> Center
>
> Status in Getting Things GNOME!:
> Invalid
> Status in “gtg” package in Ubuntu:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> I'm sorry if it's the wrong place to report it. But I couldn't find a
> place to submit a translation bug suggestion. If I'm submitting it at
> the wrong place, please realocate it
>
> The fact is: At the Ubuntu Software Center, the Portuguese version of
> the app title was disastrously translated from "Getting Things Gnome"
> (great name, by the way) to "Obtendo Dados Gnome", which translatating
> back to English would be something like "Obtaining Gnome data". It
> destroyed the understanding of the purpose of the app, so I'm sure
> many brazilian and portuguese users don't even know about this
> wonderful app existence. I speak with certainty, cause I only heard of
> the GTG after a long time looking for a good task manager app.
>
> Another flaw that has aggravated the problem is the lack of good
> keywords in the description of the app. The most obvious absence of
> words like "to do list" or "task manager" make it possible for the
> entire description to be readed without knowing exactly what is the
> app about.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/gtg/+bug/955728/+subscriptions
>

Gabor Kelemen (kelemeng) on 2012-03-16
affects: gtg (Ubuntu) → ubuntu-translations
Changed in ubuntu-translations:
assignee: nobody → Ubuntu Portuguese Translators (ubuntu-l10n-pt)
status: New → Triaged
importance: Undecided → Low
Adolfo Jayme (fitojb) wrote :

If this helps Portuguese translators, "Getting Things GNOME!" is a play in the English phrase "getting things done". I don't know if this can be translated cleverly to Portuguese, but I always keep the original names of the software I translate.

Carlos Manuel (crolidge) wrote :

Hi Alex. I disagree with you. "Obtaining Things Gnome" can be translated with "Obtendo Coisas/Dados Gnome" without being disastrous. Of course it doesn't follow the English spirit of the wordplay, but I don't think that is really necessary here.

Ricardo Graça (devius) wrote :

Of course it can be translated that way, but it doesn't make sense. A literal translation isn't always the correct way to translate something, and in this case it is disastrous because it has nothing to do with the meaning of the original title. That's like translating "sunscreen" to "ecrã do sol". It's one possible translation, but since it's literal it completely misses on what the original word is supposed to mean: "protetor solar".

A better translation would be Fazendo Coisas which does maintain the meaning of the application although the clever play of "gettings things done" is gone.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers