Wrong colors and lines with resolutions above 640x480

Bug #838739 reported by Roman Yepishev on 2011-09-01
450
This bug affects 116 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Cheese
New
Medium
skype
New
Undecided
Unassigned
cheese (Debian)
Fix Released
Unknown
v4l-utils (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Oneiric
Undecided
Unassigned
Precise
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

After Oneiric upgrade cheese started showing 1280x1024 resolution as new one (1024x768 was reachable in natty).
However the images and video on that resolution have color planes decoded in a wrong way or camera is requested to provide images in non-decodable encoding.

Running guvcview at the same resolution in YUYV mode @1280x1024 produces the correct result, however if I switch guvcview to YV12 the image starts resembling the one of Cheese.

These are the capabilities that guvcview shows: http://paste.ubuntu.com/679616/
The picture of how the (sorry, blurred) TV test screen looks is here - http://ubuntuone.com/3e0EAh2maOjrm7PYTTL3aQ

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
Package: cheese 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-9.15-generic 3.0.3
Uname: Linux 3.0.0-9-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
Architecture: amd64
Date: Thu Sep 1 13:50:21 2011
EcryptfsInUse: Yes
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64 (20100429)
MachineType: Acer Aspire 5520
RelatedPackageVersions:
 cheese 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
 cheese-common 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
SourcePackage: cheese
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-08-30 (1 days ago)
dmi.bios.date: 05/06/2008
dmi.bios.vendor: Acer
dmi.bios.version: V1.33
dmi.board.name: Fuquene
dmi.board.vendor: Acer
dmi.board.version: N/A
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: Acer
dmi.chassis.version: N/A
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnAcer:bvrV1.33:bd05/06/2008:svnAcer:pnAspire5520:pvrV1.33:rvnAcer:rnFuquene:rvrN/A:cvnAcer:ct10:cvrN/A:
dmi.product.name: Aspire 5520
dmi.product.version: V1.33
dmi.sys.vendor: Acer

Roman Yepishev (rye) wrote :
Changed in cheese (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Joaquin (jknvv13) wrote :

I've got the same bug, but... my webcam only supports 640x480, and, unfortunately, I have the same strange colors that you have on 1280x1024.

I have tested my webcam with all the resolutions available and have found that only those resolutions above 640x480 exhibit image quality problems

With Natty there are no issues for any of these resolutions in Cheese.

summary: - Wrong colors on 1280x1024 resolution
+ Wrong colors with resolutions above 640x480
Cas (calumlind) on 2011-09-28
summary: - Wrong colors with resolutions above 640x480
+ Wrong colors and lines with resolutions above 640x480

This was fixed on the lastest updates on a laptop, but not on my desktop PC.
El 28/09/2011 02:45, "Cas" <email address hidden> escribió:

> ** Summary changed:
>
> - Wrong colors with resolutions above 640x480
> + Wrong colors and lines with resolutions above 640x480
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (850421).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/838739
>
> Title:
> Wrong colors and lines with resolutions above 640x480
>
> Status in “cheese” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> After Oneiric upgrade cheese started showing 1280x1024 resolution as new
> one (1024x768 was reachable in natty).
> However the images and video on that resolution have color planes decoded
> in a wrong way or camera is requested to provide images in non-decodable
> encoding.
>
> Running guvcview at the same resolution in YUYV mode @1280x1024
> produces the correct result, however if I switch guvcview to YV12 the
> image starts resembling the one of Cheese.
>
> These are the capabilities that guvcview shows:
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/679616/
> The picture of how the (sorry, blurred) TV test screen looks is here -
> http://ubuntuone.com/3e0EAh2maOjrm7PYTTL3aQ
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
> Package: cheese 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-9.15-generic 3.0.3
> Uname: Linux 3.0.0-9-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Thu Sep 1 13:50:21 2011
> EcryptfsInUse: Yes
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64
> (20100429)
> MachineType: Acer Aspire 5520
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> cheese 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> cheese-common 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> SourcePackage: cheese
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-08-30 (1 days ago)
> dmi.bios.date: 05/06/2008
> dmi.bios.vendor: Acer
> dmi.bios.version: V1.33
> dmi.board.name: Fuquene
> dmi.board.vendor: Acer
> dmi.board.version: N/A
> dmi.chassis.type: 10
> dmi.chassis.vendor: Acer
> dmi.chassis.version: N/A
> dmi.modalias:
> dmi:bvnAcer:bvrV1.33:bd05/06/2008:svnAcer:pnAspire5520:pvrV1.33:rvnAcer:rnFuquene:rvrN/A:cvnAcer:ct10:cvrN/A:
> dmi.product.name: Aspire 5520
> dmi.product.version: V1.33
> dmi.sys.vendor: Acer
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cheese/+bug/838739/+subscriptions
>

Changed in cheese:
importance: Unknown → Medium
status: Unknown → New
Greg Michalec (greg-primate) wrote :

i have the same problem, although for me the display goes wrong starting at 800x600.
Cheese version: 3.2.0-0ubuntu1
info from lsusb:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0c45:6416 Microdia
Device Descriptor:
  bLength 18
  bDescriptorType 1
  bcdUSB 2.00
  bDeviceClass 239 Miscellaneous Device
  bDeviceSubClass 2 ?
  bDeviceProtocol 1 Interface Association
  bMaxPacketSize0 64
  idVendor 0x0c45 Microdia
  idProduct 0x6416
  bcdDevice a1.15
  iManufacturer 2 M092S-H02-0628-SC3TZ
  iProduct 1 Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_2M
  iSerial 0

My problem was not so much with the display as it is with the microphone. Everything has been set up exactly as it was on 11.04 but the sound is inaudible (it sounds like a chipmunk on speed).

If you require any particular logs, please let me know how to retrieve them and I will post them (apologies but I am a total linux newb).

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in skype (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
jedix (howlett) wrote :

I have the same bug. This is almost certainly a Cheese bug. The issue on my x220 Thinkpad does not exist in skype which rules out the kernel. I don't know what other package to test with.

ii cheese 3.2.0-0ubuntu2 tool to take pictures and videos from your webcam
ii cheese-common 3.2.0-0ubuntu2 Common files for the Cheese tool to take pictures and videos
rc libcheese-gtk18 2.32.0-0ubuntu2 A tool to take pictures and videos from your webcam - widgets
ii libcheese-gtk20 3.2.0-0ubuntu2 tool to take pictures and videos from your webcam - widgets
ii libcheese1 3.2.0-0ubuntu2 tool to take pictures and videos from your webcam - base library

But if it is.. my webcam is:

uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device Integrated Camera (04f2:b217)

xtro (grailswebdev) wrote :

I'm affected too. All resolutions above 800x448 are buggy.

Colin Norris (sirrontm) wrote :

I have the same problem at both of my cheapo webcam's supported resolutions; 320x240 and 640x480.

Stefan Divjak (stefan-divjak) wrote :

Tagged as regression, as my Logitech C270 worked out of the box with cheese in 11.04.

tags: added: regression-release
Otacon1987 (orfeo18) wrote :

Same here! I think this is a v4l bug or gstreamer! It's buggy also with 320x240, 640x480. My webcam is:

0ac8:301b Z-Star Microelectronics Corp. ZC0301 Webcam

Before 11.10 webcam worked fine out of the box!

This isn't strictly a Cheese bug as I have the same problems using the google talk plugin in firefox: black and white image with red artifacts off to the side. However, I just installed Cheese and noted the same problems occur there as well. I'm using a Logitech Quick Cam.

Szabó Gergely (szger) wrote :

#12
+1

JohnMilton (adam-x-gernhard) wrote :

I also have the problem in cheese, skype, and google talk plugin for firefox.
I'm using a Microsoft VX-3000

As I filed on bug Bug #880271 I think the problem lies in the v4l library, which you can update as follows:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libv4l
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libv4l-0 libv4l-dev

In my case it solved all my problems (cheese, gst-launch-0.10) except one. Since I'm running a 64 bits system, I keep having a problem with Skype, even after updating the i386 libraries (sudo apt-get install libv4l-0:i386). However, with the help of v4l2ucp you can change the saturation pattern and get a much more reasonable output.

I hope this can help you guys.

Zsolt Lauter (lauterzsolti) wrote :

I'm not sure that it's a v4l related bug. Skype video looks good as well as in guvcview and GoogleTalk (Google+ Hangouts) but Cheese has strange stripes and colours. Btw. I can't get a sharp and noiseless 2048*1536 video as I had previously with Natty.

Daniil Lopatin (dlopatin) wrote :

Juan Francisco Contreras García, thank's a lot!
Your solution was helpful for me!

Joaquin (jknvv13) wrote :

I don't have this issue on Flash, but I've got the issue on V4L-based apps.
:S
El 13/11/2011 18:05, "Zsolt Lauter" <email address hidden> escribió:

> I'm not sure that it's a v4l related bug. Skype video looks good as well
> as in guvcview and GoogleTalk (Google+ Hangouts) but Cheese has strange
> stripes and colours. Btw. I can't get a sharp and noiseless 2048*1536
> video as I had previously with Natty.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (850421).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/838739
>
> Title:
> Wrong colors and lines with resolutions above 640x480
>
> Status in Cheese Camera Application:
> New
> Status in Skype:
> New
> Status in “cheese” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in “skype” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> After Oneiric upgrade cheese started showing 1280x1024 resolution as new
> one (1024x768 was reachable in natty).
> However the images and video on that resolution have color planes decoded
> in a wrong way or camera is requested to provide images in non-decodable
> encoding.
>
> Running guvcview at the same resolution in YUYV mode @1280x1024
> produces the correct result, however if I switch guvcview to YV12 the
> image starts resembling the one of Cheese.
>
> These are the capabilities that guvcview shows:
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/679616/
> The picture of how the (sorry, blurred) TV test screen looks is here -
> http://ubuntuone.com/3e0EAh2maOjrm7PYTTL3aQ
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
> Package: cheese 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-9.15-generic 3.0.3
> Uname: Linux 3.0.0-9-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Thu Sep 1 13:50:21 2011
> EcryptfsInUse: Yes
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64
> (20100429)
> MachineType: Acer Aspire 5520
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> cheese 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> cheese-common 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> SourcePackage: cheese
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-08-30 (1 days ago)
> dmi.bios.date: 05/06/2008
> dmi.bios.vendor: Acer
> dmi.bios.version: V1.33
> dmi.board.name: Fuquene
> dmi.board.vendor: Acer
> dmi.board.version: N/A
> dmi.chassis.type: 10
> dmi.chassis.vendor: Acer
> dmi.chassis.version: N/A
> dmi.modalias:
> dmi:bvnAcer:bvrV1.33:bd05/06/2008:svnAcer:pnAspire5520:pvrV1.33:rvnAcer:rnFuquene:rvrN/A:cvnAcer:ct10:cvrN/A:
> dmi.product.name: Aspire 5520
> dmi.product.version: V1.33
> dmi.sys.vendor: Acer
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/cheese/+bug/838739/+subscriptions
>

JohnMilton (adam-x-gernhard) wrote :

Thanks you so much! Juan Francisco Conterears Garcia

Haggai Eran (haggai-eran) wrote :

Hi,

I was affected by this problem on oneiric, with a Logitech C310 webcam. It appeared on cheese in any resolution above 800x448. It also appeared in guvcview, but only in the highest resolution (1280x960), and only in YV12/YU12 formats. I didn't see any issues in skype. It seemed to be solved by Juan Francisco Contreras García's ppa.

yavoh (anish-bramhandkar) wrote :

The libv4l ppa solved the issue for me as well.

I'm really glad to know I'm not the only one who has solved the issue with the libv4l ppa. Thanks for your messages!

Faidon Liambotis (paravoid) wrote :

I'm also affected by this bug, but I'm using Debian, not Ubuntu :) Crawling the web for this bug, I encountered this bug and the libv4l PPA suggestion was particulary helpful (thanks!).

I've tried to find why and it seems that the libv4l PPA version links against libjpeg62, while the Oneiric one against libjpeg8 and that may be the culprit. Debian's libv4l source package is almost identical with the PPA one; the only difference I could see on the binaries was the libjpeg transition and that seems to fit the description of the problem.

[ I've added the distribution link to the Debian bug, in which I've also sent my findings; I thought it'd be helpful to also add a comment here. ]

Joaquin (jknvv13) wrote :

Fixed by the V4L ppa...
El 14/11/2011 02:20, "Faidon Liambotis" <email address hidden>
escribió:

> I'm also affected by this bug, but I'm using Debian, not Ubuntu :)
> Crawling the web for this bug, I encountered this bug and the libv4l PPA
> suggestion was particulary helpful (thanks!).
>
> I've tried to find why and it seems that the libv4l PPA version links
> against libjpeg62, while the Oneiric one against libjpeg8 and that may
> be the culprit. Debian's libv4l source package is almost identical with
> the PPA one; the only difference I could see on the binaries was the
> libjpeg transition and that seems to fit the description of the problem.
>
> [ I've added the distribution link to the Debian bug, in which I've also
> sent my findings; I thought it'd be helpful to also add a comment here.
> ]
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (850421).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/838739
>
> Title:
> Wrong colors and lines with resolutions above 640x480
>
> Status in Cheese Camera Application:
> New
> Status in Skype:
> New
> Status in “cheese” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in “skype” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in “cheese” package in Debian:
> Unknown
>
> Bug description:
> After Oneiric upgrade cheese started showing 1280x1024 resolution as new
> one (1024x768 was reachable in natty).
> However the images and video on that resolution have color planes decoded
> in a wrong way or camera is requested to provide images in non-decodable
> encoding.
>
> Running guvcview at the same resolution in YUYV mode @1280x1024
> produces the correct result, however if I switch guvcview to YV12 the
> image starts resembling the one of Cheese.
>
> These are the capabilities that guvcview shows:
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/679616/
> The picture of how the (sorry, blurred) TV test screen looks is here -
> http://ubuntuone.com/3e0EAh2maOjrm7PYTTL3aQ
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
> Package: cheese 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-9.15-generic 3.0.3
> Uname: Linux 3.0.0-9-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Thu Sep 1 13:50:21 2011
> EcryptfsInUse: Yes
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64
> (20100429)
> MachineType: Acer Aspire 5520
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> cheese 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> cheese-common 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> SourcePackage: cheese
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-08-30 (1 days ago)
> dmi.bios.date: 05/06/2008
> dmi.bios.vendor: Acer
> dmi.bios.version: V1.33
> dmi.board.name: Fuquene
> dmi.board.vendor: Acer
> dmi.board.version: N/A
> dmi.chassis.type: 10
> dmi.chassis.vendor: Acer
> dmi.chassis.version: N/A
> dmi.modalias:
> dmi:bvnAcer:bvrV1.33:bd05/06/2008:svnAcer:pnAspire5520:pvrV1.33:rvnAcer:rnFuquene:rvrN/A:cvnAcer:ct10:cvrN/A:
> dmi.product.name: Aspire 5520
> dmi.product.version: V1.33
> dmi.sys.vendor: Acer
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/cheese/+bug/838739/+subscriptions
>

Gregor Jasny (gjasny) wrote :

I'm about uploading libv4l-0.8.5-6 to Debian. If should fix the libjpeg 8c incompatibility.

Martin Pitt (pitti) on 2011-11-15
affects: skype (Ubuntu) → libv4l (Ubuntu)
no longer affects: cheese (Ubuntu)
no longer affects: cheese (Ubuntu Precise)
no longer affects: cheese (Ubuntu Oneiric)
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

This should be fixed with yesterday's v4l-utils precise upload.

Changed in v4l-utils (Ubuntu Oneiric):
status: New → Confirmed
Martin Pitt (pitti) on 2011-11-15
affects: libv4l (Ubuntu Precise) → v4l-utils (Ubuntu Precise)
Changed in v4l-utils (Ubuntu Precise):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released

Hello Roman, or anyone else affected,

Accepted v4l-utils into oneiric-proposed, the package will build now and be available in a few hours. Please test and give feedback here. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!

Changed in v4l-utils (Ubuntu Oneiric):
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
tags: added: verification-needed
Michael Devenish (mdevenish) wrote :

This bug is now fixed for me. I installed v4l-utils from oneiric-proposed (version 0.8.5-3ubuntu2). I get a clear image in cheese at a maximum resolution of 1280x960. Thanks for this fix.

Martin Pitt (pitti) on 2011-11-15
tags: added: verification-done
removed: verification-needed

For some unknown reason, Skype is still not working for me, I have the same weird colors as before. However, I'd like to thank the developers for this fix and I'd appreciate if they could tell me what could be causing everything else to be working perfectly with these updates except this program.

There is a lib32 version of V4l on the ppa. Install it, and try skype.
El 15/11/2011 17:25, "Juan Francisco Contreras García" <
<email address hidden>> escribió:

> For some unknown reason, Skype is still not working for me, I have the
> same weird colors as before. However, I'd like to thank the developers
> for this fix and I'd appreciate if they could tell me what could be
> causing everything else to be working perfectly with these updates
> except this program.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (850421).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/838739
>
> Title:
> Wrong colors and lines with resolutions above 640x480
>
> Status in Cheese Camera Application:
> New
> Status in Skype:
> New
> Status in “v4l-utils” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “v4l-utils” source package in Oneiric:
> Fix Committed
> Status in “v4l-utils” source package in Precise:
> Fix Released
> Status in “cheese” package in Debian:
> Unknown
>
> Bug description:
> After Oneiric upgrade cheese started showing 1280x1024 resolution as new
> one (1024x768 was reachable in natty).
> However the images and video on that resolution have color planes decoded
> in a wrong way or camera is requested to provide images in non-decodable
> encoding.
>
> Running guvcview at the same resolution in YUYV mode @1280x1024
> produces the correct result, however if I switch guvcview to YV12 the
> image starts resembling the one of Cheese.
>
> These are the capabilities that guvcview shows:
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/679616/
> The picture of how the (sorry, blurred) TV test screen looks is here -
> http://ubuntuone.com/3e0EAh2maOjrm7PYTTL3aQ
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
> Package: cheese 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-9.15-generic 3.0.3
> Uname: Linux 3.0.0-9-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Thu Sep 1 13:50:21 2011
> EcryptfsInUse: Yes
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64
> (20100429)
> MachineType: Acer Aspire 5520
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> cheese 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> cheese-common 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> SourcePackage: cheese
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-08-30 (1 days ago)
> dmi.bios.date: 05/06/2008
> dmi.bios.vendor: Acer
> dmi.bios.version: V1.33
> dmi.board.name: Fuquene
> dmi.board.vendor: Acer
> dmi.board.version: N/A
> dmi.chassis.type: 10
> dmi.chassis.vendor: Acer
> dmi.chassis.version: N/A
> dmi.modalias:
> dmi:bvnAcer:bvrV1.33:bd05/06/2008:svnAcer:pnAspire5520:pvrV1.33:rvnAcer:rnFuquene:rvrN/A:cvnAcer:ct10:cvrN/A:
> dmi.product.name: Aspire 5520
> dmi.product.version: V1.33
> dmi.sys.vendor: Acer
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/cheese/+bug/838739/+subscriptions
>

Thanks for your advice, Joaquin. I've already tried that, always with the same result:

libv4l2: error allocating conversion buffer

All the info is on Bug #880271

The new proposed version of v4l-utils which will be released shortly, has solved the problem for me on both my machines and both with different cameras.

The Skype issue is now also solved for me, either with the Libv4l ppa as I suggested or with v4l-utils from oneiric-proposed (version 0.8.5-3ubuntu2). I think I created my own problem with skype because the first time I installed it, it wasn't from the partner repositories but directly from the skype website as I used to do it before, and probably that created a dependencies problem. After entirely removing skype and installing the skype:i386 package, I get a perfect image using:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

I strongly recommend to download skype from the partner repositories not to make the same mistake as me.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package v4l-utils - 0.8.5-3ubuntu2

---------------
v4l-utils (0.8.5-3ubuntu2) oneiric-proposed; urgency=low

  * Fix (M)JPEG decing with libjpeg 8. (LP: #838739)
  * Update upside down table
 -- Gregor Jasny <email address hidden> Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:36:04 +0100

Changed in v4l-utils (Ubuntu Oneiric):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Changed in cheese (Debian):
status: Unknown → Fix Released
Jason McVetta (jmcvetta) wrote :

Updating to the latest libv4l-0 cures this bug for me.

Juan, did you also replace v4l-utils with the i386 version? I've got the latest packages from the libv4l ppa installed, and the partner version of skype and still can't resolve the issue. Is anyone else still having problems? I tried purging skype and reinstalling, but no luck.

Chris (cmavr8) wrote :

Hi Sean, I also still have the problem... Skype from partner, installed everything proposed here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cheese/+bug/880271/comments/6 (both ways).

Offcourse tried starting skype with LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so in front, as well as without...

No luck!

Chris (cmavr8) wrote :

Forgot to note: I also have this problem in Gtalk chat (using google-chrome) but NOT when I use Cheese!

Joaquin (jknvv13) wrote :

I haven't had this problem, I think it's because I installed a lib ready
for 32 bits.
Install synaptic, choose the ppa source, and see the packages.
El 13/01/2012 20:15, "cmavr8" <email address hidden> escribió:

> Forgot to note: I also have this problem in Gtalk chat (using google-
> chrome) but NOT when I use Cheese!
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (850421).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/838739
>
> Title:
> Wrong colors and lines with resolutions above 640x480
>
> Status in Cheese Camera Application:
> New
> Status in Skype:
> New
> Status in “v4l-utils” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “v4l-utils” source package in Oneiric:
> Fix Released
> Status in “v4l-utils” source package in Precise:
> Fix Released
> Status in “cheese” package in Debian:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> After Oneiric upgrade cheese started showing 1280x1024 resolution as new
> one (1024x768 was reachable in natty).
> However the images and video on that resolution have color planes decoded
> in a wrong way or camera is requested to provide images in non-decodable
> encoding.
>
> Running guvcview at the same resolution in YUYV mode @1280x1024
> produces the correct result, however if I switch guvcview to YV12 the
> image starts resembling the one of Cheese.
>
> These are the capabilities that guvcview shows:
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/679616/
> The picture of how the (sorry, blurred) TV test screen looks is here -
> http://ubuntuone.com/3e0EAh2maOjrm7PYTTL3aQ
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
> Package: cheese 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-9.15-generic 3.0.3
> Uname: Linux 3.0.0-9-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Thu Sep 1 13:50:21 2011
> EcryptfsInUse: Yes
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64
> (20100429)
> MachineType: Acer Aspire 5520
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> cheese 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> cheese-common 3.0.1-2ubuntu2
> SourcePackage: cheese
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-08-30 (1 days ago)
> dmi.bios.date: 05/06/2008
> dmi.bios.vendor: Acer
> dmi.bios.version: V1.33
> dmi.board.name: Fuquene
> dmi.board.vendor: Acer
> dmi.board.version: N/A
> dmi.chassis.type: 10
> dmi.chassis.vendor: Acer
> dmi.chassis.version: N/A
> dmi.modalias:
> dmi:bvnAcer:bvrV1.33:bd05/06/2008:svnAcer:pnAspire5520:pvrV1.33:rvnAcer:rnFuquene:rvrN/A:cvnAcer:ct10:cvrN/A:
> dmi.product.name: Aspire 5520
> dmi.product.version: V1.33
> dmi.sys.vendor: Acer
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/cheese/+bug/838739/+subscriptions
>

I have all the i386 libraries from the ppa installed, along with skype:i386 from the partner repository. (Of course via synaptic; I still don't like using the Software Centre). I even tried replacing v4l-utils with the i386 version. I'm running skype with LD_PRELOAD.... and always with the same result. The problem also persists for me with video in Google chat via gmail, although it's been solved for the Cheese webcam booth.

Same here, tried all the combinations between 32 and 64 bits. This fixed the problem for cheese but not for Skype and Gtalk

maxim (off220) wrote :

I've got A4-Tech WebCam PK-7G and Ubuntu 12.04 with quantal kernel and xorg and still the problem persists. I used debian squeeze and there was the same issue.

Ubuntu QA Website (ubuntuqa) wrote :

This bug has been reported on the Ubuntu laptop testing tracker.

A list of all reports related to this bug can be found here:
http://laptop.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/reports/bugs/838739

tags: added: laptop-testing
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.