Binary package hint: gdm
In Karmic the Login Window Preferences option from the GNOME System -> Preferences menu is missing. I'm no longer able to configure gdm graphically. Something I was able to do until recently and in Jaunty.
The new gdm :
- discussion have started during the hardy uds 1.5 year ago
- the new gdm has been accepted upstream by GNOME and used for over a year in several other distributions
- the ubuntu team decided to wait on the change because of the known issues
- the new version was available since jaunty in the ubuntu-desktop ppa and call for testing have been made
- the change has been decided this cycle because karmic had technologies changes in view of the lts coming next cycle, it's better to use recent and maintainer codebases there
- the canonical desktop team spent time this cycle writing a gdmsetup tool and fixing several issues in the new gdm version
It's not perfect yet but is expected to be improved.
Thanks for your patience!
The changes are due to an upstream [Gnome] update , which was blocked in Ubuntu for 3 cycles .
Any further discussions regarding lack of features can be discussed > https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=587750 or users can open new bugs regarding the missing features.