package mysql-server failed to install/upgrade - Access denied for user 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost'

Bug #153868 reported by The87Boy on 2007-10-18
206
This bug affects 43 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
mysql-dfsg-5.0 (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned
mysql-dfsg-5.1 (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

I was just trying to update mysql-server, but it says, that "error: 'Access denied for user 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'"

ProblemType: Package
Architecture: i386
Date: Thu Oct 18 13:33:13 2007
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 7.10
ErrorMessage: subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Package: mysql-server-5.0 5.0.45-1ubuntu2
PackageArchitecture: i386
SourcePackage: mysql-dfsg-5.0
Title: package mysql-server-5.0 5.0.45-1ubuntu2 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Uname: Linux lap 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 06:00:47 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

The87Boy (lasse-lsmc) wrote :

Did you remove the debian-sys-maint user ? This user is needed by the
init script to manage the server.

If so, you can find the relevant account information in
/etc/mysql/debian.cnf.

  status incomplete

Changed in mysql-dfsg-5.0:
status: New → Incomplete

No, I didn't remove the debian-sys-maint user, so I don't know why

Mathias Gug wrote:
> Did you remove the debian-sys-maint user ? This user is needed by the
> init script to manage the server.
>
> If so, you can find the relevant account information in
> /etc/mysql/debian.cnf.
>
> status incomplete
>
>
> ** Changed in: mysql-dfsg-5.0 (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 04:43:41PM -0000, The87Boy wrote:
> No, I didn't remove the debian-sys-maint user, so I don't know why
>
Could you try connecting to the server using the mysql shell and the
debian-sys-maint credentials ?

--
Mathias

Mathias Gug wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 04:43:41PM -0000, The87Boy wrote:
>
>> No, I didn't remove the debian-sys-maint user, so I don't know why
>>
>>
> Could you try connecting to the server using the mysql shell and the
> debian-sys-maint credentials ?
>
What is the MySQL-password I shall use for the debian-sys-maint user

> --
> Mathias
>

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 05:14:09PM -0000, The87Boy wrote:
> > Could you try connecting to the server using the mysql shell and the
> > debian-sys-maint credentials ?
> >
> What is the MySQL-password I shall use for the debian-sys-maint user
>

The credentials are stored in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf.

Mathias Gug wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 05:14:09PM -0000, The87Boy wrote:
>
>>> Could you try connecting to the server using the mysql shell and the
>>> debian-sys-maint credentials ?
>>>
>>>
>> What is the MySQL-password I shall use for the debian-sys-maint user
>>
>>
>
> The credentials are stored in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf.
>
I get this error:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user
'debian-maint-sys'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

The87Boy (lasse-lsmc) wrote :

Mathias Gug wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 05:14:09PM -0000, The87Boy wrote:
>
>>> Could you try connecting to the server using the mysql shell and the
>>> debian-sys-maint credentials ?
>>>
>>>
>> What is the MySQL-password I shall use for the debian-sys-maint user
>>
>>
>
> The credentials are stored in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf.
>
Oh, of course I meant debian-sys-maint

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 07:31:24AM -0000, The87Boy wrote:
> > The credentials are stored in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf.
> >
> Oh, of course I meant debian-sys-maint
>

You should reset the debian-sys-maint password with the one included in
/etc/mysql/debian.cnf.

--
Mathias

Mathias Gug wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 07:31:24AM -0000, The87Boy wrote:
>
>>> The credentials are stored in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf.
>>>
>>>
>> Oh, of course I meant debian-sys-maint
>>
>>
>
> You should reset the debian-sys-maint password with the one included in
> /etc/mysql/debian.cnf.
How do I do that?

When I looked at /etc/mysql/debian.cnf, my debian-sys-maint password was C1lO0oEdaJJZrCfZ.
So... I logged into MySQL as the super-user (root in my case) and set the password for debian-sys-maint.

mysql -u root

set password for 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost'=password('C1lO0oEdaJJZrCfZ');
flush privileges;

That worked.

Daniel (daniel-oberski) wrote :

That fixed my month long problem of not being able to updat mysql too, thanks!

benita (benitadaniel1986) wrote :

hi,

i have somewat d same problem described above, but more specfically :

i want to install moodle and that requires mysql server.
so i gave:

sudo apt-get install mysql-server

which worked fine. but i cant access it!
i tried:
mysql -u root

it says : access denied,
how do i proceed?
help somebody1

Hello,

sudo apt-get install mysql-server
>
> which worked fine. but i cant access it!
> i tried:
> mysql -u root
>
> it says : access denied,
>
>
For instructions on setting up MySQL see the MySQL section of the Server
Guide [1]. There is also a community page on Moodle specifically [2]. I'm
not quite sure how accurate it is, because it's been a while since I've
setup Moodle. It should get you going in the right direction though. If
there are any inaccuracies please feel free to edit the page and improve it.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/server/C/mysql.html
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MySQLMoodle

--
Party On,
Adam

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 06:11:42AM -0000, benita wrote:
>
> sudo apt-get install mysql-server
>
> which worked fine. but i cant access it!
> i tried:
> mysql -u root
>

Try:

  mysql -u root -p

The -p option should prompt you for a password, which can be blanked if
you haven't setup one during install.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

On Feb 3, 2008 2:07 AM, Mathias Gug <email address hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 06:11:42AM -0000, benita wrote:
> >
> > sudo apt-get install mysql-server
> >
> > which worked fine. but i cant access it!
> > i tried:
> > mysql -u root
> >
>
> Try:
>
> mysql -u root -p
>
> The -p option should prompt you for a password, which can be blanked if
> you haven't setup one during install.
>
> --
> Mathias Gug
> Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com
>
> --
> package mysql-server-5.0 5.0.45-1ubuntu2 failed to install/upgrade -
> Access denied for user 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost'
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/153868
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Source Package "mysql-dfsg-5.0" in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> I was just trying to update mysql-server, but it says, that "error:
> 'Access denied for user 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' (using password:
> YES)'"
>
> ProblemType: Package
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Thu Oct 18 13:33:13 2007
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 7.10
> ErrorMessage: subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status
> 1
> Package: mysql-server-5.0 5.0.45-1ubuntu2
> PackageArchitecture: i386
> SourcePackage: mysql-dfsg-5.0
> Title: package mysql-server-5.0 5.0.45-1ubuntu2 failed to install/upgrade:
> subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> Uname: Linux lap 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 06:00:47 GMT 2007
> i686 GNU/Linux
>

hey thanks for replying !
i jus had to give:
mysql -u root -pMyPassword

it worked!

Marking triaged. The error message when unable to connect using debian-sys-maint should be improved.

Changed in mysql-dfsg-5.0:
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: Incomplete → Triaged
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package mysql-dfsg-5.0 - 5.0.51-3ubuntu1

---------------
mysql-dfsg-5.0 (5.0.51-3ubuntu1) hardy; urgency=low

  [Mathias Gug]
  * Merge from debian unstable, remaining changes:
    - debian/control:
      - Set Maintainer to Ubuntu Core dev. Move Debian maintainer
        to XSBC-Original-Maintainer.
      - Add mysql-doc-5.0 as a Suggests to mysql-client-5.0, mysql-server-5.0
        and libmysqlclient15-dev.
    - debian/rules: Apply same configuration options on lpia as for i386.
  * debian/control:
    - Preprend XS-Original- to Vcs-{Browser,Svn}.
  * debian/rules:
    - Support DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS option 'nocheck' to skip tests.
  * Dropped patches:
    - debian/patches/91_bug29389.dpatch:
        fix for mysql bug 27383 which causes mysql-test 'mysql_client_test'
        to fail due to gcc 4.x optimizations.
    - debian/libmysqlclient15-dev.files, debian/mysql-client-5.0.files,
      debian/mysql-server-5.0.files: man pages are GPLed now.
  * Improved error message when unable to connect using debian-sys-maint. (LP:
    #153868)

  [Chuck Short]
  * Replcaed --with-comment="Debian" with --with-comment="Ubuntu" in debian/rules (LP: #134384)
  * Added note about the "/etc/mysql/conf.d" directory in my.cnf (LP: #136225)
  * Fixed mysqlhotcopy failure. (LP: #162393)
  * Fixed mysqlslowdump usage. Added patch from Arnold Daniels <email address hidden>. (LP: #183762)

 -- Mathias Gug <email address hidden> Fri, 25 Jan 2008 04:10:49 -0500

Changed in mysql-dfsg-5.0:
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Mathias Gug (mathiaz) wrote :

Reopening. This hasn't been fixed and is not trivial.

mysqld init script needs to be modified.

Changed in mysql-dfsg-5.0:
status: Fix Released → Triaged
backharlow (bordercolliecult) wrote :

"This bug was fixed in the package mysql-dfsg-5.0 - 5.0.51-3ubuntu1"

The problem persists.

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server-5.0_5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.1_i386.deb: subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

Joseph Slaker (jslaker) wrote :

This bug is still present in Hardy. It's preventing me from completing a software upgrade. Seems to be a pretty critical bug for such a common package.

MikeC (ms-clovis) wrote :

This still seems to be a bug in Hardy. I had mysql installed, then removed completely. Then reinstalled. The following errors persist.
E: mysql-server-5.0: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: mysql-server: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Here's the same. I tried to install mysql-server and mysql-client to get a database for amarok.
The terminal says:

 * Stopping MySQL database server mysqld [ OK ]
080707 23:53:53 [ERROR] /usr/sbin/mysqld: unknown variable 'default-charakter-set=utf8'

Reloading AppArmor profiles : done.
 * Starting MySQL database server mysqld [fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Setting up mysql-client (5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
 mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.0; however:
  Package mysql-server-5.0 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 mysql-server-5.0
 mysql-server
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Matti Hytonen (matti-hyt) wrote :

Matti Hytonen wrote: I tried upgrade mysql-server
My command: sudo aptitude upgrade

Valmistellaan paketin mysql-server-5.0 5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.1 vaihtamista (käyttäen pakettia .../mysql-server-5.0_5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.3_i386.deb)...
 * Stopping MySQL database server mysqld [fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: varoitus - vanha pre-removal-komentosarja palautti virhetilakoodin 1
dpkg - koitetaan uuden paketin komentosarjaa...
 * Stopping MySQL database server mysqld [fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: virhe käsiteltäessä /var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server-5.0_5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.3_i386.deb (--unpack):
 aliprosessi uusi pre-removal-komentosarja palautti virhetilakoodin 1
 * Stopping MySQL database server mysqld [fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "stop" failed.
 * Starting MySQL database server mysqld [ OK ]
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server-5.0_5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.3_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Stopping mysqld failed!

Matti Hytonen (matti-hyt) wrote :

Matti Hytonen continuing:
I have xubuntu 8.04.1 Now I found that my problem was in file debian.cnf. There was set user 'debian-sys-maint' and his password. For my system it is a wrong user. I corrected user setting to 'root' and also password.
Now I could upgrade to mysql-server-5.0_5.0..normally
I hope that my system is stable now?

Matti

Steve Riddett (tmb-steve) wrote :

I got this bug and was directed here. For the record, I think it occured for me because I had created the database from a complete mysqldump of all databases - *including the mysql database* - from another machine.

So the password for debian-sys-maint would have been set for the other machine rather than the one it was actually running on.

Changing the password as per the instructions above worked for me.

I don't think this is really a distro error.

For the record: same story as Steve Riddtt's for me: mysqldump from seperate machine.

Dave Nelson (dave-nelson) wrote :

I had this issue, but it did not concern the debian-sys-maint credentials. In my case I had defined a non-standard socket location in my /etc/mysql/my.cnf, and the socket location in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf was different. Therefore the server could not be stopped nor started during upgrade.

I don't know the significance of "debian.cnf" -- I didn't create it. Where did it come from, and for what is it used? It seems like a fairly fundamental problem that conflicts between these two files could make my entire system un-upgradeable.

Mathias Gug (mathiaz) on 2009-09-08
summary: - package mysql-server-5.0 5.0.45-1ubuntu2 failed to install/upgrade -
- Access denied for user 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost'
+ package mysql-server failed to install/upgrade - Access denied for user
+ 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost'
Mathias Gug (mathiaz) on 2009-10-07
Changed in mysql-dfsg-5.1 (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Triaged
sobi3ch (sobi3ch) wrote :

OVERRIDING PASSWORD WORDED!

mysql -u root

set password for 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost'=password('C1lO0oEdaJJZrCfZ');
flush privileges;

Sebastian Geiger (lanoxx) wrote :

maybe the script could somehow check if the password in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf is still the same as in the mysql database, or if that doesnt work, then try to login as root and prompt the user for a password? After all this bug has been in existance now for two years and keeps surfacing all the time?

Also the pre-removal script could give a more descriptive error such as: login with "debian-sys-maint" failed, check credentials.

Oh, bug #501655 seems to be a duplicate.
Cheers Lanoxx

Lanoxx,

I'm not sure if there's a bug in my situation because when I upgraded to
mysql-server-5.1 the process don't override my /etc/mysql/my.cnf and my
router change my IP to 192.168.1.101 when It has been configured to
192.168.1.100. So after I write in /etc/rc.local the ifconfig 192.168.1.100
 command the problem never happen again!!

Thanks for your help!!

Have a nice weekend!!

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:25 AM, LanoxxthShaddow <email address hidden> wrote:

> maybe the script could somehow check if the password in
> /etc/mysql/debian.cnf is still the same as in the mysql database, or if
> that doesnt work, then try to login as root and prompt the user for a
> password? After all this bug has been in existance now for two years and
> keeps surfacing all the time?
>
> Also the pre-removal script could give a more descriptive error such as:
> login with "debian-sys-maint" failed, check credentials.
>
> Oh, bug #501655 seems to be a duplicate.
> Cheers Lanoxx
>
> --
> package mysql-server failed to install/upgrade - Access denied for user
> 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost'
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/153868
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “mysql-dfsg-5.0” package in Ubuntu: Triaged
> Status in “mysql-dfsg-5.1” package in Ubuntu: Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> I was just trying to update mysql-server, but it says, that "error: 'Access
> denied for user 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'"
>
> ProblemType: Package
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Thu Oct 18 13:33:13 2007
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 7.10
> ErrorMessage: subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status
> 1
> Package: mysql-server-5.0 5.0.45-1ubuntu2
> PackageArchitecture: i386
> SourcePackage: mysql-dfsg-5.0
> Title: package mysql-server-5.0 5.0.45-1ubuntu2 failed to install/upgrade:
> subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> Uname: Linux lap 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 06:00:47 GMT 2007 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mysql-dfsg-5.0/+bug/153868/+subscribe
>

--
Atenciosamente,
Juliano Maciel Ferreira
Software Developer - E-Programs
(48) 8403-5974 - skype: julianomfferreira

Weiss (weiss) wrote :

i create debian-sys-maint user on mysql server with password from /etc/mysql/debian.conf
ITS WORK!

programad (programad) wrote :

The overriding password trick fixed it for me.

Thanks.

Jarl (jarl-dk) wrote :

FYI: same story as Steve and Klaas for me: mysqldump from seperate machine.

Chuck Short (zulcss) on 2011-04-06
Changed in mysql-dfsg-5.0 (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Won't Fix
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers