Kernel Oops - kernel BUG at /build/buildd/linux-2.6.38/fs/dcache.c:2134!; EIP is at dentry_update_name_case+0x64/0x70

Bug #762344 reported by Scott
98
This bug affects 22 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Both beta version, the first one and now this one, crash or have a serious error while trying to mount drives with ncpmount. I am running 10.10 on my current production laptop without any trouble. I added the ncp packages, attempt to map the drive, it crashed in the first beta, now it doesn't freak out and allows me to keep moving but lets me know the system had trouble.

ProblemType: KernelOops
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
Package: linux-image-2.6.38-8-generic 2.6.38-8.42
Regression: Yes
Reproducible: Yes
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic i686
NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
Annotation: Your system might become unstable now and might need to be restarted.
AplayDevices:
 **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
 card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Architecture: i386
ArecordDevices:
 **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
 card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC0: sminton 1370 F.... pulseaudio
CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Card0.Amixer.info:
 Card hw:0 'SB'/'HDA ATI SB at 0xd0600000 irq 16'
   Mixer name : 'Conexant CX20582 (Pebble)'
   Components : 'HDA:14f15066,17aa21b2,00100301'
   Controls : 8
   Simple ctrls : 5
Card29.Amixer.info:
 Card hw:29 'ThinkPadEC'/'ThinkPad Console Audio Control at EC reg 0x30, fw 6XHT20WW-1.165000'
   Mixer name : 'ThinkPad EC 6XHT20WW-1.165000'
   Components : ''
   Controls : 1
   Simple ctrls : 1
Card29.Amixer.values:
 Simple mixer control 'Console',0
   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
   Playback channels: Mono
   Mono: Playback [on]
Date: Fri Apr 15 20:37:31 2011
Failure: oops
HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=35659911-6ae3-43fb-b994-81a745ac84c5
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta i386 (20110413)
MachineType: LENOVO 350828U
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=6d6e0c38-c4bc-4bde-964a-ae8dca2de8a3 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
RelatedPackageVersions:
 linux-restricted-modules-2.6.38-8-generic N/A
 linux-backports-modules-2.6.38-8-generic N/A
 linux-firmware 1.50
RfKill:
 0: phy0: Wireless LAN
  Soft blocked: no
  Hard blocked: no
SourcePackage: linux
Title: kernel BUG at /build/buildd/linux-2.6.38/fs/dcache.c:2134!
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
dmi.bios.date: 12/18/2009
dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.bios.version: 6XET21WW (1.04 )
dmi.board.name: INVALID
dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.board.version: Not Available
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr6XET21WW(1.04):bd12/18/2009:svnLENOVO:pn350828U:pvrThinkPadX100e:rvnLENOVO:rnINVALID:rvrNotAvailable:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
dmi.product.name: 350828U
dmi.product.version: ThinkPad X100e
dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO

Revision history for this message
Scott (expendable) wrote :
Revision history for this message
Scott (expendable) wrote :

Oh and my production system is a thinkpad x500, when I upgraded from 10.10 to the beta, same issue with that as well.

affects: ubuntu → linux (Ubuntu)
Revision history for this message
lykwydchykyn (me-alandmoore) wrote :

I am having similar problems with the same error in dmesg (kernel BUG at /build/buildd/linux-2.6.38/fs/dcache.c:2134!)

I can mount netware shares, but as soon as I 'cd' into the mount point and start doing anything, bash crashes and the shares become inaccessible.

As a nasty side effect, I can't umount the shares even if forcing as root, I can't kill the ncpfs process (even kill -9 as root), and I can't even 'ls' the contents of the directory containing the mountpoints.

I've attached the output of dmesg.

Revision history for this message
lykwydchykyn (me-alandmoore) wrote :

Update: playing with it some more, I find I only get the crash when I tab-complete a filename on ncpfs.

I get "Warning: Program '/bin/bash' crashed."

and the symptoms mentioned previously happen at this point (mountpoint becomes inaccessible, ncpfs process locks up, etc).

Revision history for this message
MarkW (mwutzke) wrote :

I am having the same problem with my ncpfs mounts.

But I think I have located a fix.

There is a recent (15Apr11) upstream kernel fix (7ebfa57f6d307b66bb88600145afccde31016ab5) that early testing indicates has resolved the issue for me.

Revision history for this message
Scott (expendable) wrote : Re: [Bug 762344] Re: kernel BUG at /build/buildd/linux-2.6.38/fs/dcache.c:2134!
Download full text (3.9 KiB)

Great work! Thanks for sharing!
On May 2, 2011 4:25 PM, "Mark Wutzke" <email address hidden> wrote:
> I am having the same problem with my ncpfs mounts.
>
> But I think I have located a fix.
>
> There is a recent (15Apr11) upstream kernel fix
> (7ebfa57f6d307b66bb88600145afccde31016ab5) that early testing indicates
> has resolved the issue for me.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/762344
>
> Title:
> kernel BUG at /build/buildd/linux-2.6.38/fs/dcache.c:2134!
>
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> Both beta version, the first one and now this one, crash or have a
> serious error while trying to mount drives with ncpmount. I am running
> 10.10 on my current production laptop without any trouble. I added the
> ncp packages, attempt to map the drive, it crashed in the first beta,
> now it doesn't freak out and allows me to keep moving but lets me know
> the system had trouble.
>
> ProblemType: KernelOops
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
> Package: linux-image-2.6.38-8-generic 2.6.38-8.42
> Regression: Yes
> Reproducible: Yes
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
> Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic i686
> NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
> AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
> Annotation: Your system might become unstable now and might need to be
restarted.
> AplayDevices:
> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> Architecture: i386
> ArecordDevices:
> **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0: sminton 1370 F.... pulseaudio
> CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
> Card0.Amixer.info:
> Card hw:0 'SB'/'HDA ATI SB at 0xd0600000 irq 16'
> Mixer name : 'Conexant CX20582 (Pebble)'
> Components : 'HDA:14f15066,17aa21b2,00100301'
> Controls : 8
> Simple ctrls : 5
> Card29.Amixer.info:
> Card hw:29 'ThinkPadEC'/'ThinkPad Console Audio Control at EC reg 0x30, fw
6XHT20WW-1.165000'
> Mixer name : 'ThinkPad EC 6XHT20WW-1.165000'
> Components : ''
> Controls : 1
> Simple ctrls : 1
> Card29.Amixer.values:
> Simple mixer control 'Console',0
> Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
> Playback channels: Mono
> Mono: Playback [on]
> Date: Fri Apr 15 20:37:31 2011
> Failure: oops
> HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=35659911-6ae3-43fb-b994-81a745ac84c5
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta i386 (20110413)
> MachineType: LENOVO 350828U
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic
root=UUID=6d6e0c38-c4bc-4bde-964a-ae8dca2de8a3 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> linux-restricted-modules-2.6.38-8-generic N/A
> linux-backports-modules-2.6.38-8-generic N/A
> linux-firmware 1.50
> RfKill:
> 0: phy0: Wireless LAN
> Soft blocked: no
> Hard blocked: no
> SourcePackage: linux
> Title: kernel BUG at /build/buildd/linux-2.6.38/fs/dca...

Read more...

Revision history for this message
Jerome Cornuz (jerome-cornuz) wrote : Re: kernel BUG at /build/buildd/linux-2.6.38/fs/dcache.c:2134!

Good job ! It works for me.

Revision history for this message
jessedyer (jessedyer) wrote :

Is this a dupe to Ubuntu “linux” package Bugs Bug #750344?

can someone please explain to a poor semi-noob how I'd get that kernel fix?

Revision history for this message
cirrus (andreas-kahl) wrote :

To me it looks rather similar. But I do not understand the details.
If you want to get ncpfs back working try what BeaconRus suggested in this thread:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ncpfs/+bug/773211

I posted how I finally installed linux 2.6.39 at the bottom there.

Brad Figg (brad-figg)
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Revision history for this message
Jim J (morlockhq) wrote :

This is a SERIOUS bug for any business user that must work with a Novell network. This currently affects me exactly as described by the other reporters. I would just like to point out here, and I pointed it out on the duplicate bug as well, that the importance should be elevated. This is a CRITICAL interoperability issue.

Revision history for this message
Christopher M. Peñalver (penalvch) wrote :

Scott, thank you for reporting this bug and helping make Ubuntu better. This bug was reported a while ago and there hasn't been any activity in it recently. We were wondering if this is still an issue? Can you try with the latest development release of Ubuntu? ISO CD images are available from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/ .

If it remains an issue, could you run the following command from a Terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal). It will automatically gather and attach updated debug information to this report.

apport-collect -p linux <replace-with-bug-number>

Also, if you could test the latest upstream kernel available that would be great. It will allow additional upstream developers to examine the issue. Refer to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds . Once you've tested the upstream kernel, please remove the 'needs-upstream-testing' tag. This can be done by clicking on the yellow pencil icon next to the tag located at the bottom of the bug description and deleting the 'needs-upstream-testing' text. Please let us know your results.

Thanks in advance.

summary: - kernel BUG at /build/buildd/linux-2.6.38/fs/dcache.c:2134!
+ Kernel Oops - kernel BUG at
+ /build/buildd/linux-2.6.38/fs/dcache.c:2134!; EIP is at
+ dentry_update_name_case+0x64/0x70
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for linux (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers