Ubuntu

Can't configure Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z, Asus K7I0C and maybe also Dell Mini 10 (not V), Asus k40in, Asus U81A, Asus UL80-VT, Asus N61Jq and Asus K50IE. Acer E642G

Reported by oren on 2010-01-25
436
This bug affects 105 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Nominated for Karmic by Quan-Time
Nominated for Lucid by oren
Nominated for Maverick by Andrew Cartine

Bug Description

Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Elantech touch pad can't be configured on Dell Inspiron 11Z which make the laptop unusable since it's too sensitive.
It seems like Dell mini 10 (not 10v) is also having this issue.

Here is the driver for windows on dell's website:
http://support.dell.com/support/down...D=Inspiron1110

Here is a link to Elan's site - http://www.emc.com.tw/eng/tpn_sp_fun.asp
it say on their site that it's should work with linux.

I found this link - http://arjan.opmeer.net/elantech/
and contacted the guy but got no reply.

Here are two thread about this issue:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1347942&page=2
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8713106#post8713106

ProblemType: Bug
Architecture: i386
Date: Sun Jan 24 21:31:09 2010
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.10
MachineType: Dell Inc. Inspiron 1110
NonfreeKernelModules: wl
Package: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.1.2-1ubuntu7
ProcCmdLine: root=UUID=9f9d4f2c-cf41-4cdb-a980-ad53191e7f65 ro quiet splash
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.31-17.54-generic
RelatedPackageVersions:
 xserver-xorg 1:7.4+3ubuntu10
 libgl1-mesa-glx 7.6.0-1ubuntu4
 libdrm2 2.4.14-1ubuntu1
 xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.9.0-1ubuntu2
 xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.12.99+git20090929.7968e1fb-0ubuntu1
SourcePackage: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
Uname: Linux 2.6.31-17-generic i686
dmi.bios.date: 08/12/2009
dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.bios.version: A03
dmi.board.name: 0T644R
dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.board.version: A03
dmi.chassis.type: 8
dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.chassis.version: A03
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA03:bd08/12/2009:svnDellInc.:pnInspiron1110:pvrA03:rvnDellInc.:rn0T644R:rvrA03:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvrA03:
dmi.product.name: Inspiron 1110
dmi.product.version: A03
dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.
fglrx: Not loaded
glxinfo: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
system:
 distro: Ubuntu
 architecture: i686kernel: 2.6.31-17-generic

oren (orengolan) wrote :
oren (orengolan) on 2010-01-25
summary: - configuring Elan tech touchpad on Delll Inspiron 11z
+ configuring Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z

Karmic 9.10 x64 (2.6.31-17-generic) - Asus K7I0C is also effected by this. Touchpad "works", but is identified wrong, thus i dont get any touchpad special options, such as "delay while type" which is HUGELY useful. The Asus EEEpc works, which uses the same hardware, but obviously a device ID change, so its not detecting properly ?

Thanks in advance.

oren (orengolan) on 2010-01-25
summary: - configuring Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z
+ configuring Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z, Asus K7I0C and
+ maybe also ASUS k40in
oren (orengolan) on 2010-01-25
summary: configuring Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z, Asus K7I0C and
- maybe also ASUS k40in
+ maybe also ASUS k40in and Asus U81A.
summary: - configuring Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z, Asus K7I0C and
+ Can't confige Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z, Asus K7I0C and
maybe also ASUS k40in and Asus U81A.
summary: - Can't confige Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z, Asus K7I0C and
+ Can't configure Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z, Asus K7I0C and
maybe also ASUS k40in and Asus U81A.

eeepc is using gsynaptics-elantech that was created by Asus -
http://array.org/ubuntu/elantech.html

"The elantech driver provides enhanced touchpad support for all EeePC models.
It extends the standard psmouse.ko module to support new Elantech extensions.
The elantech driver was written by Arjan Opmeer and is currently being merged into the upstream Linux kernel (ETA, 2.6.28)."

can someone post an instruction for other other laptops?
what does it mean 2.6.28 in terms of availability for us?

oren (orengolan) on 2010-01-27
summary: Can't configure Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z, Asus K7I0C and
- maybe also ASUS k40in and Asus U81A.
+ maybe also Dell Mini 10 (not V), ASUS k40in and Asus U81A.

I can confirm this bugs also affects my ASUS UL80-VT which also has an elantech touchpad
Xinput list shows the touchpad is erroneously recognized as "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse"

I can also state that this is not a distro-related bug as I have experienced the same problem with OpenSuse
As a matter of fact I did file a bug report here : https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=558225

Udutronik (udutronik) on 2010-01-28
summary: Can't configure Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z, Asus K7I0C and
- maybe also Dell Mini 10 (not V), ASUS k40in and Asus U81A.
+ maybe also Dell Mini 10 (not V), ASUS k40in, Asus U81A and ASUS UL80-VT.
Changed in xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed

Same problem on ASUS UL30A. Touchpad recognized as "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse". Work only vertical two-finger scrolling and two-finger "tap" as middle click.

ejahn (eric-ejahn) wrote :

I think you meant three-finger tap for middle click. also ditto for Asus UL30A: recognized as IMPS/2 Wheel Mouse. I've read that this is because the elan touchpad is reporting itself as such, not because of missing device ids in the OS, but I don't have the link for that.

carbonariy (carbonariy) wrote :

No, two-finger tap - middle click, and also three-finger tap for right click work well.

viking (viking415) wrote :

Same problem on Dell Inspiron Mini 10 (Inspiron 1010). Mouse is identified as IMPS/2 Wheel Mouse.

linuxonbute (normanelliott) wrote :

I have the elantech touchpad on my zepto znote 3215W. Kernel 2.6.31-17-generic
the bug I reported in was assigned but is no longer so i don't know what is going to happen about it.

It was completely unusable and could not be configured. It is still not working fully.
I can now disable tapping but it seems there are at least 2 problems:
1/
There seems to be some interaction between psmouse and the keyboard - with psmouse loaded then there seems to be a huge amount of key bounce as I type so that it repeats many times like iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii for one or more keys during typing a word. This is so in a terminal window, with gedit or openoffice writer and so on.
If I rmmod psmouse ( I am using a usb mouse and only load psmouse when testing ) the bounce goes away

2/
If I try to move the mouse pointer from the bottom to the top of the screen or vice versa then I have to stroke the touchpad several times - which is normal i know. Problem is that sometimes I might stroke it once from bottom to top, the pointer moves about 1/3 to 1/2 way up, then I put my finger at the bottom to stroke it again and the pointer jumps back down to the bottom of the screen as soon as my finger touches the pad. This sometimes means I have to stroke it as many as 10 or even 12 times before it gets where I want.
Then it might work normally for several minutes before it starts messing about again.
Not sure exactly what the issue is but I have tried other live distros such as mandriva and Suse and the problem is the same. I do wonder if it is a fault with my touchpad but it has been like this from day one when I was running Ubuntu 8.04. ( I bought the machine with no O/S )

borrell (borrell) wrote :

Problem can be confirmed on the Asus UL30VT also. Touchpad is seen as a Logitech PS/2 Wheel Mouse.

Ludek (ludek-smolik) wrote :

Problem can be confirmed on the Asus UL50V too. Touchpad is seen as a Logitech PS/2 Wheel Mouse.

Bryce Harrington (bryce) on 2010-03-18
tags: added: karmic
Robert Hooker (sarvatt) wrote :

This is a problem at the kernel level, the touchpad is just being detected as a normal mouse in the dmesg so of course the synaptics X driver will not work with it.

affects: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu) → linux (Ubuntu)
John Hudson (thecowgd) wrote :

I can also confirm that this is present on the Asus P50IJ-X2 as well.

Dan Richert (dan-richert) wrote :

Problem confirmed on Asus K60I. Touchpad detected as Logitech PS/2 Wheel Mouse.

J C Nash (nashjc) wrote :

Ditto on Asus UL30A. Logitech PS/2 Wheel Mouse detected.

J C Nash (nashjc) wrote :

See also bugs 123775 and 119194 for similar complaints.

Dries De Smet (driesdesmet) wrote :

And ditto for Asus K50IN, touchpad detected as Logitech PS/2

timuckun (timuckun) wrote :

Ditto for asus k42Jr-A1

[ 0.998835] input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as /devices/virtual/input/input4
[ 1.044580] mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

timuckun (timuckun) wrote :

This bug effects most Asus laptops and some Dell laptops. How come it hasn't even been assigned to anybody yet?

timuckun (timuckun) wrote :

Other problems with this touchpad.

The dual finger swipe horizonally doesn't work.

The touchpad is extremely sensistive. The slightest touch elicits a click. This behavior does not exist in windows.

Affects ASUS U80V-A2. I commented out this check in drivers/input/mouse/elantech.c and the touchpad is recognized as Elantech, but it breaks functionality. Must be a different "magic knock" for these affected touchpads.

if (param[0] == 0 || param[1] != 0) {
  pr_debug("elantech.c: Probably not a real Elantech touchpad. Aborting.\n");
  return -1;
    }

This looks to be a duplicate of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/418282

They also tried disabling the check I mentioned in my last post and had similar results. I also tried forcing version 2.

With these modifications to elantech.c, dmesg says:
elantech.c: assuming hardware version 2, firmware version 4.17

If debugging is then enabled by:
sudo sh -c "echo 2 > /sys/bus/serio/drivers/psmouse/serio4/debug"

(serio4 was determined by dmesg | grep Elantech the number may vary on other systems)

...and then watch the output of syslog while messing with the touchpad:
tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep elantech.c

The packets do not seem to match the "Native absolute mode 6 byte packet format" described in:
http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/input/elantech.txt

As far as I can gather, this is what the first byte looks like for these touchpads:

76543210
11100100 three fingers 0xE4
10000100 two fingers 0x84
01010100 thumb 0x54
01000100 one finger 0x44
00001000 no finger 0x04

x and y aren't at all obvious to me, I haven't got a clue about the other 5 bytes.

Florian Ragwitz (rafl) wrote :

You're correct, the first two bits of the first byte indeed indicates the number of fingers used currently, just like with any other version of the firmware using 6 byte packets. The x- and y-coordinates are also identical to what earlier firmware versions provided, with one minor difference: the high bits of the the bytes representing the upper half of the coordinates apparently have been reused for something else. That's alright, as they've always been zero in earlier firmware versions, and would only be needed for the coordinates if it wanted to report positions outside of the actual dimensions of the pad, which of course it doesn't.

However, the elantech extension of the psmouse module used all the bits available, and therefore relied on them being 0, breaking with new touchpad firmwares.

I've fixed that and sent off the patches to the linux-input mailinglist. See http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg08277.html

With all those patches applied, things Just Work on the ASUS UL30A. However, I pretty much hardcoded the firmware version of the touchpad I have. I'm sure there are other versions out there, which would work as well, but I wanted to avoid wrongly identifying non-elantech devices. Therefore I added the force_elantech parameter to the psmouse module. If, with those patches, your elantech touchpad still isn't recognized as such, please retry with force_elantech=1 and report the firmware version as shown in the kernel log.

Wow, nice timing. I had just finished a patch but before I could clean it up you had already posted your (much better) patch set. For reference, I attached my quick-and-dirty patch that works on the ASUS U80V-B2. Unfortunately I don't have any more time with the system as it belongs to a friend, so I cannot test your patch set right now, but once I do I will report back.

It seems like this particular touchpad gets stuck in relative mode unless it gets 0x0c (anywhere thru 3f) to reg_10

Also, here are some register values I was able to dig up for this particular touchpad:

reg_11 0xc0 turns on the lights 0xb0 turns off
reg_26 0x10 strobes up lights once, 0x80 strobes them across each other (demo mode?)
reg_26 0x02 strobes from top to bottom, 0x04 bottom to top, 0x01 flashes all once

Here's the relevant syslog stuff:
elantech.c: Synaptics capabilities query result 0x79, 0x13, 0x0d.
elantech.c: Elantech version query result 0x04, 0x04, 0x11.

Cheers.

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 01:13:33PM -0000, ALLurGroceries wrote:
> Wow, nice timing. I had just finished a patch but before I could clean
> it up you had already posted your (much better) patch set.

Hah! Sorry, mate :)

> For reference, I attached my quick-and-dirty patch that works on the
> ASUS U80V-B2. Unfortunately I don't have any more time with the system
> as it belongs to a friend, so I cannot test your patch set right now,
> but once I do I will report back.

Excellent, thank you!

> It seems like this particular touchpad gets stuck in relative mode
> unless it gets 0x0c (anywhere thru 3f) to reg_10

I see. This isn't necessary for my device, reporting firmware version
0x04 0x01 0x01. The register settings currently used for v2 hardware in
the driver just work for me.

I'd be interested in the exact firmware version reported by the device
you've been working with.

> Also, here are some register values I was able to dig up for this
> particular touchpad:
>
> reg_11 0xc0 turns on the lights 0xb0 turns off
> reg_26 0x10 strobes up lights once, 0x80 strobes them across each other (demo mode?)
> reg_26 0x02 strobes from top to bottom, 0x04 bottom to top, 0x01 flashes all once

Also interesting. However, this should probably just be exposed as an
LED class device, if the appropriate kernel subsystem is enabled.

Unfortunately tho, my device doesn't have lights, so I'm unable to work
on that. Sorry.

> Here's the relevant syslog stuff:
> elantech.c: Synaptics capabilities query result 0x79, 0x13, 0x0d.
> elantech.c: Elantech version query result 0x04, 0x04, 0x11.

Oh, there they are.

My device's capability bits are 0x7e 0x13 0x0d. The firmware is reported
as 0x04 0x01 0x01, as mentioned earlier.

I'll go add the magic register values to put your device into absolute
mode to the patch, and also whitelist your device accordingly.

I'm not entirely sure what I should be using to decide what sort of
register values should be sent, based on the firmware version, yet. I
think I'll start off with always sending the old-style magic, except
when a device is known to require the new bits (i.e. just the fw version
you reported), or if sending the new magic is forced somehow (I'll
probably just turn force_elan from a bool to an uint).

Thanks a lot for your input. It's much appreciated!

--
BOFH excuse #27:
radiosity depletion

I could be wrong about 0x0c to reg_10 with regard to your patches. Instead of disregarding the high bits I copied the code from the two finger condition (but using normal resolution) which is a bit different, and probably isn't the right way to do it. However, it worked and I ran out of time. I'll bug my friend to get your patches tested and see if it works without that register being set. Thanks!

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 02:42:50PM -0000, ALLurGroceries wrote:
> I could be wrong about 0x0c to reg_10 with regard to your patches.
> Instead of disregarding the high bits I copied the code from the two
> finger condition (but using normal resolution) which is a bit different,
> and probably isn't the right way to do it. However, it worked and I ran
> out of time. I'll bug my friend to get your patches tested and see if it
> works without that register being set. Thanks!

Oh, too bad. I guess I've seen this comment only after I already made
the changes. In case the patch set doesn't work for you as is: please
apply 0001-Input-elantech-allow-forcing-of-different-register-m.patch
and 0002-Input-elantech-whitelist-firmware-version-4.17.patch on top.

If the original set works for you as is (that is, with force_elantech=1),
0001-Input-elantech-whitelist-firmware-version-4.17.patch will do the
whitelisting only, without changing the magic.

I'll hold off sending those patches to linux-input until you've got a
chance to test them. They aren't really relevant to the original patch
series anyway, as that just doesn't change any behaviour on firmware
4.17 yet.

Thanks again.

--
BOFH excuse #418:
Sysadmins busy fighting SPAM.

tags: added: patch

I can confirm this bug on Asus K60IJ.

I'm running Ubuntu Lucid, RC, which is 2.6.32-21.

I can also confirm that Florian's 4 original patches fix the bug perfectly! Doesn't seem to introduce any problems, the touchpad is recognized as a touchpad and I can configure it as such (including turning off the damn tap-to-click.) Thanks!

oren (orengolan) wrote :

Thank you Adam and Florian!
When will this patch find it's way to ubuntu's code base?

Bart Samwel (bart-samwel) wrote :

Another confirmation: the patch fixes things on my UL30A as well.

Florian, your original 4 patches work perfectly on the U80V-B2, without forcing anything, sorry to have bothered you with the extra patches. Thanks again!

Tyson Williams (bender2k14) wrote :

I have never applied a patch before. Can someone tell me the high level step needed to apply these patches? (I have Google and friends that can help me after that.)

Tyson, I wrote a quick step-by-step guide here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9175201#post9175201

I hope it helps. Take care.

Tyson Williams (bender2k14) wrote :

Florian's original 4 patches did not work for me. When I tried to modprobe the patched module, it failed because of an invalid format:
FATAL: Error inserting psmouse (/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.ko): Invalid module format

Any ideas on what went wrong?

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:00:51PM -0000, Tyson Williams wrote:
> Florian's original 4 patches did not work for me. When I tried to modprobe the patched module, it failed because of an invalid format:
> FATAL: Error inserting psmouse (/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.ko): Invalid module format
>
> Any ideas on what went wrong?

I'm guessing you compiled the module against the wrong kernel. i.e.
another one than you're trying to insert it into.

--
BOFH excuse #55:
Plumber mistook routing panel for decorative wall fixture

Hi Tyson- Assuming you use Ubuntu - I followed the instructions here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile>cheers-
Rob

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Tyson Williams <email address hidden> wrote:

> Florian's original 4 patches did not work for me. When I tried to modprobe
> the patched module, it failed because of an invalid format:
> FATAL: Error inserting psmouse
> (/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.ko):
> Invalid module format
>
> Any ideas on what went wrong?
>
> --
> Can't configure Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z, Asus K7I0C and
> maybe also Dell Mini 10 (not V), ASUS k40in, Asus U81A and ASUS UL80-VT.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/512192
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug.
>
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu: Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
>
> Elantech touch pad can't be configured on Dell Inspiron 11Z which make the
> laptop unusable since it's too sensitive.
> It seems like Dell mini 10 (not 10v) is also having this issue.
>
> Here is the driver for windows on dell's website:
> http://support.dell.com/support/down...D=Inspiron1110
>
> Here is a link to Elan's site - http://www.emc.com.tw/eng/tpn_sp_fun.asp
> it say on their site that it's should work with linux.
>
> I found this link - http://arjan.opmeer.net/elantech/
> and contacted the guy but got no reply.
>
> Here are two thread about this issue:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1347942&page=2
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8713106#post8713106
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Sun Jan 24 21:31:09 2010
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.10
> MachineType: Dell Inc. Inspiron 1110
> NonfreeKernelModules: wl
> Package: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.1.2-1ubuntu7
> ProcCmdLine: root=UUID=9f9d4f2c-cf41-4cdb-a980-ad53191e7f65 ro quiet splash
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=(custom, user)
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.31-17.54-generic
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> xserver-xorg 1:7.4+3ubuntu10
> libgl1-mesa-glx 7.6.0-1ubuntu4
> libdrm2 2.4.14-1ubuntu1
> xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.9.0-1ubuntu2
> xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.12.99+git20090929.7968e1fb-0ubuntu1
> SourcePackage: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
> Uname: Linux 2.6.31-17-generic i686
> dmi.bios.date: 08/12/2009
> dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
> dmi.bios.version: A03
> dmi.board.name: 0T644R
> dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
> dmi.board.version: A03
> dmi.chassis.type: 8
> dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
> dmi.chassis.version: A03
> dmi.modalias:
> dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA03:bd08/12/2009:svnDellInc.:pnInspiron1110:pvrA03:rvnDellInc.:rn0T644R:rvrA03:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvrA03:
> dmi.product.name: Inspiron 1110
> dmi.product.version: A03
> dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.
> fglrx: Not loaded
> glxinfo: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
> system:
> distro: Ubuntu
> architecture: i686kernel: 2.6.31-17-generic
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/512192/+subscribe
>

Hi,

First of all - thanks to ALLurGroceries for the instructions. I followed them as well and also got the 'Invalid module format'. I was able to find this out:

# modinfo drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.ko | fgrep vermagic
vermagic: 2.6.31.9 SMP mod_unload modversions

# modinfo psmouse | fgrep vermagic
vermagic: 2.6.31-20-generic SMP mod_unload modversions

# uname -r
2.6.31-20-generic

The /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.31.tar.bz2 contains a Makefile that has EXTRAVERSION=.9 instead of -20-generic. My system is up-to-date. I am not familiar with kernel compiling so I don't know why this is or if I could/should change the Makefile myself.

Can anyone provide a hint?

Thanks,
Erik

Sorry, that is entirely my fault. My kernel source tree was not clean because I run a custom kernel, and my directions won't work for a clean source tree. I updated my post to work from a clean source tree:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9175201#post9175201

If you run into any problems with my directions please reply on the forum post so we don't enrage the poor subscribers of this bug. ;)

Tyson Williams (bender2k14) wrote :

Ok, I think that ALLurGroceries' directions worked this time (thanks!).

Now I can say that this patch didn't work for me. Using the patched module, my touchpad has no predictable behavior. If I try to move the mouse or click, maybe nothing will happen...or maybe the mouse will jump wildly around the screen and left or right click on something.

On the positive side, my touchpad is correctly recognized as a touchpad (because the touchpad tab is present in gnome-mouse-properties).

Are their tests or a more specific description that I could give so that you guys can understand how this is affecting my touchpad?

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → In Progress
summary: Can't configure Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z, Asus K7I0C and
- maybe also Dell Mini 10 (not V), ASUS k40in, Asus U81A and ASUS UL80-VT.
+ maybe also Dell Mini 10 (not V), Asus k40in, Asus U81A, Asus UL80-VT,
+ and Asus N61Jq.
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Incomplete
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Triaged
28 comments hidden view all 108 comments

I would really appreciate some up-to-date info on this. I have played around with just about every on-line tutorial there is. I'm now worried that because I've played around so much, that I've damaged the netbookieness of my Ubuntu Netbook Remix. There are so many mouse oriented programs on my computer now that I don't know what to do.

Why is it this difficult to get features which claim to disable the touchpad while typing to work when they have been included in the release of Ubuntu? I mean, there should be some sort of way to trick a mouse to work with the touchpad device, or decrease sensitivity right?

Core features like this need to work. I assure you that productive work on my new netbook is nearly impossible without disabling the touchpad while typing. Every time I try to touch the keyboard's space bar it sends a mouse click event to the screen which may or may not highlight and delete all information which I just typed.

Currently, I am typing this from my netbook. I have had to retype 5 lines out of this because the touchpad driver is not working properly.

Any fixes would be greatly appreciated. I have a HP N214 netbook. Please let me know what I can do to help with this ongoing issue.

Download full text (3.9 KiB)

hi try typing "sudo modprobe -r psmouse" in terminal

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM, AdamOutler <email address hidden> wrote:

> I would really appreciate some up-to-date info on this. I have played
> around with just about every on-line tutorial there is. I'm now worried
> that because I've played around so much, that I've damaged the
> netbookieness of my Ubuntu Netbook Remix. There are so many mouse
> oriented programs on my computer now that I don't know what to do.
>
> Why is it this difficult to get features which claim to disable the
> touchpad while typing to work when they have been included in the
> release of Ubuntu? I mean, there should be some sort of way to trick
> a mouse to work with the touchpad device, or decrease sensitivity right?
>
> Core features like this need to work. I assure you that productive work
> on my new netbook is nearly impossible without disabling the touchpad
> while typing. Every time I try to touch the keyboard's space bar it
> sends a mouse click event to the screen which may or may not highlight
> and delete all information which I just typed.
>
> Currently, I am typing this from my netbook. I have had to retype 5
> lines out of this because the touchpad driver is not working properly.
>
> Any fixes would be greatly appreciated. I have a HP N214 netbook. Please
> let me know what I can do to help with this ongoing issue.
>
> --
> Can't configure Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z, Asus K7I0C and
> maybe also Dell Mini 10 (not V), Asus k40in, Asus U81A, Asus UL80-VT, and
> Asus N61Jq.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/512192
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu: Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
>
> Elantech touch pad can't be configured on Dell Inspiron 11Z which make the
> laptop unusable since it's too sensitive.
> It seems like Dell mini 10 (not 10v) is also having this issue.
>
> Here is the driver for windows on dell's website:
> http://support.dell.com/support/down...D=Inspiron1110
>
> Here is a link to Elan's site - http://www.emc.com.tw/eng/tpn_sp_fun.asp
> it say on their site that it's should work with linux.
>
> I found this link - http://arjan.opmeer.net/elantech/
> and contacted the guy but got no reply.
>
> Here are two thread about this issue:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1347942&page=2
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8713106#post8713106
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Sun Jan 24 21:31:09 2010
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.10
> MachineType: Dell Inc. Inspiron 1110
> NonfreeKernelModules: wl
> Package: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.1.2-1ubuntu7
> ProcCmdLine: root=UUID=9f9d4f2c-cf41-4cdb-a980-ad53191e7f65 ro quiet splash
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=(custom, user)
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.31-17.54-generic
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> xserver-xorg 1:7.4+3ubuntu10
> libgl1-mesa-glx 7.6.0-1ubuntu4
> libdrm2 2.4.14-1ubuntu1
> xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.9.0-1ubuntu2
> xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.12.99+git20090929.7968e1fb-0ubuntu1
> SourcePackage: xserv...

Read more...

"sudo modprobe -r psmouse" completely disable the touchpad, I don't think that's what Adam wants.

Once you've applied the kernel patches (which are now part of the latest kernel, 2.6.34), it should be detected as a touchpad. Then, in gnome, mouse preferences, touchpad tab, you just have to select "disable touchpad while typing". It actually runs syndaemon. If that doesn't work (there is no touchpad tab), make sure the synaptics X driver is loaded (but that should be the default).

AdamOutler, please see my post with instructions for patching at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9175201#post9175201

Éric Piel (pieleric) wrote :

Is there anyone with a hardware which reports firmware version 2.0.34 (or 2.6.0)?

We'd need to test the attached patch (for a kernel 2.6.34 or 26.35) and check that on such hardware, everything keeps working fine (no "jumpy cursor" behaviour).

To know if you have such hardware, with a kernel 2.6.34 or 2.6.35, just do a:
dmseg | grep elantech:

tags: added: kernel-input kernel-needs-review
Chase Douglas (chasedouglas) wrote :

Is this bug still an issue on Maverick (outside of the potential issues with odd firmware)? If not, we should move the status to Fix Released (the "linux (ubuntu)" package always refers to the latest development version of a package).

tags: added: kernel-reviewed
removed: kernel-needs-review
Marcin Juszkiewicz (hrw) wrote :

Bug is fixed in Maverick:
17:10 hrw@lucek:~$ cat /proc/bus/input/devices |tail
I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=000e Version=0000
N: Name="ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio4/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input7
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse0 event7
B: EV=b
B: KEY=6420 30000 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=f0003
17:11 hrw@lucek:~$ uname -a
Linux lucek 2.6.35-6-generic #9-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 1 03:01:23 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
17:11 hrw@lucek:~$ dmesg|grep -i elan
[ 18.826488] elantech: assuming hardware version 2, firmware version 4.1.1
[ 18.862696] elantech: Synaptics capabilities query result 0x7e, 0x13, 0x0d.
[ 18.959022] input: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input7
17:11 hrw@lucek:~$ sudo dmidecode -t System
# dmidecode 2.9
SMBIOS 2.5 present.

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
        Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
        Product Name: UL30A
        Version: 1.0
        Serial Number: A3N0AS*******A
        UUID: 003CAD19-022E-DF81-2383-485B391A7E08
        Wake-up Type: Power Switch
        SKU Number:
        Family:

Favonia (favonia) wrote :

I guess ASUS N82Jv is also affected. I bought one recently and it shows an "ELAN PS/2 Port Smart-Pad" in Windows 7; however the pad is detected as "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse" in Lucid (amd64) with kernel 2.6.32-23. Looking forward to the patch.

Tyson Williams (bender2k14) wrote :

This bug no longer affects by Dell Mini 10 in Maverick (alpha 2).

I have a similar problem with the touchpad being detected as "ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse" (looking at /proc/bus/input/devices).

The effect is that I cannot configure it and in KDE, the touchpad configurator is greyed out - the problem is described in bug 584999.

I'm not sure whether my device is Elan or not - how can I verify it?

My machine is a Sony Vaio VPCEB1M1E laptop:

# dmidecode -t System
# dmidecode 2.9
SMBIOS 2.6 present.

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
        Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
        Product Name: VPCEB1M1E
        Version: C604UTDY
        Serial Number: 27524055-5002379
        UUID: A025AFC4-4BD7-DD11-8082-544249104A10
        Wake-up Type: Power Switch
        SKU Number: N/A
        Family: VAIO

I've tried the patches mentioned here by performing the procedure from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9175201#post9175201 on kernel 2.6.32-23-generic. They did not resolve the problem.

For the record, the patches I've applied against kernel source before rebuilding psmouse module were:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/94862/raw/
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/94863/raw/
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/94861/raw/
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/94864/raw/

Dmitry Torokhov (dtor) wrote :

I think Sony favors ALPS touchpads. What was the vendor supplied driver for the other OS?

Yup, you were right.

Windows 7 comes preinstalled on this laptop and it shows "Alps Pointing-device for VAIO" in device manager.

I've found bug 530298, bug 377741 and bug 359982 which seem more appropriate for Alps touchapds. Thanks for the hint.

ReijoRitari (tammisto) on 2010-09-20
summary: Can't configure Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z, Asus K7I0C and
maybe also Dell Mini 10 (not V), Asus k40in, Asus U81A, Asus UL80-VT,
- and Asus N61Jq.
+ Asus N61Jq and Asus K50IE.

I've had the same problem with Lucid installed on my Asus K50IJ: after upgrading to Maverick beta the Elan touchpad started working, but the scrolling works only using two fingers.

Sean Field (seanfield) wrote :

Fresh install of 10.04 Lucid on an Asus U81A-RX05 with the same problem. I have scrolling with two fingers, and the clicking and moving with the touchpad works, but the left button click does not. Works fine in Windows 7.

Adam (adam-dc949) wrote :

Confirmed that this bug affects Acer K50i and that it is fixed in 2.6.35.7 without any patches (I used the instructions linked to in comment 48 to build the module from sources downloaded from kernel.org). syndaemon now detects the touchpad and the program works fine. Two finger tapping (right click), and three finger tapping (center click) are both working fine.

However, I did lose the ability to scroll using two fingers and dragging. System -> Preferences -> Touchpad shows that vertical scrolling is enabled. Since nobody else is having this scrolling issue, I assume this is because I'm running the driver from 2.6.35.7 but my kernel is 2.6.32-25. If this is still an issue when the 2.6.35 is released to Lucid, I'll post back here, otherwise you can assume its working fine. Thank you for getting the patch included in the kernel so quickly.

ema84 (emanuele-tatti) wrote :

I can confirm this bug on a Samsung RF510 and it is not fixed on Ubuntu 10.10: my elan smartpad is recognized as a Logitech imps.
I tried with force_elantech=1 on psmouse without success.

Dan (dan-harris) wrote :

I can also confirm this bug on the Samsung RF710, which is one of the same new range as the RF510 and so probably has the same Elantech touchpad. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10, with the current kernel "2.6.35-22-generic #35-Ubuntu SMP". The touchpad is detected as "PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input7" (from dmesg).

modinfo gives me this:

$ modinfo psmouse
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.ko
license: GPL
description: PS/2 mouse driver
author: Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@r suse.cz>
srcversion: 5480D3D50AA2ED3ED4DBC60
alias: serio:ty05pr*id*ex*
alias: serio:ty01pr*id*ex*
depends:
vermagic: 2.6.35-22-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
parm: force_elantech:Force the Elantech PS/2 protocol extension to be used, 1 = enabled, 0 = disabled (default). (bool)
parm: proto:Highest protocol extension to probe (bare, imps, exps, any). Useful for KVM switches. (proto_abbrev)
parm: resolution:Resolution, in dpi. (uint)
parm: rate:Report rate, in reports per second. (uint)
parm: smartscroll:Logitech Smartscroll autorepeat, 1 = enabled (default), 0 = disabled. (bool)
parm: resetafter:Reset device after so many bad packets (0 = never). (uint)
parm: resync_time:How long can mouse stay idle before forcing resync (in seconds, 0 = never). (uint)

So it would seem that the "force_elantech" option is supported. However adding "options psmouse force_elantech=1" to /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.conf seems to have no effect.After a reboot, "dmesg | grep elantech" matches nothing.

Is there another way to find out the firmware version, or any other information that may help to nail this one? I'm happy to offer whatever limited help I can!

I can also confirm this bug on the ASUS P52F
but i have an Debian distribution with Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64

Stanislav (shisoik) wrote :

Dan and ema84, it looks like you have same touchpad as QX310/QX410/QX510/SF310/SF410/SF510/NF210 laptops. There is a separate bug report for those. Please, see bug #681904.

Adam (adam-dc949) wrote :

Updated to 2.6.35 via apt-get. syndaemon now detects it properly and works fine. Right clicking (two finger tap) works. Center clicking (three finger tap) works. Scrolling does not work. System -> Preferences -> Touchpad -> Scrolling -> "Enable vertical scrolling" is checked.

If anyone else runs into this it can be easily resolved by this:
sudo apt-get install gpointing-device-settings
System -> Preferences -> Pointing Devices -> Scrolling -> "Enable vertical scrolling when dragging with two fingers"
(Note: this is separate from the "Enable vertical scrolling" checkbox)

Hopefully this will help anyone else who is facing "my elantech touchpad doesn't work right" problems. :-)

After upgrading to Kubuntu Natty, I no longer have the problem.

The KDE Input Settings/Touchpad KControl Module (which seems largely redesigned) allows reconfiguration and correctly reports the device as AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint.

This is on a Sony Vaio VPCEB1M1E laptop.

BTW, here's how it is reported in /proc/bus/input/devices :

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0008 Version=7326
N: Name="AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input8
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse3 event8
B: PROP=0
B: EV=b
B: KEY=420 70000 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=1000003

This still affect Acer eMachines E642G on Lucid 10.04 64bit (I have not tested 32 bit) as described in bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/788109

I also downloaded latest Natty 11.04 Live CD and run it from USB. Mouse properties now had Touchpad tab correctly so it seems that fix should be back ported to lucid.

summary: Can't configure Elan tech touchpad on Dell Inspiron 11z, Asus K7I0C and
maybe also Dell Mini 10 (not V), Asus k40in, Asus U81A, Asus UL80-VT,
- Asus N61Jq and Asus K50IE.
+ Asus N61Jq and Asus K50IE. Acer E642G

Same problem on ASUS k53sv

szbab (szbab-club) wrote :

same problem with a laptop Clevo W270HUQ
2.6.38 kernel on Natty 11.04
TouchPad: smart pad Elan

this tutorial solved by changing the patch http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9175201 # post9175201

with this patch https: / / bugs.launchpad.net / ubuntu / + source / xserver-xorg-video-intel / + bug/681904/comments/59

replace lines Step 5:
wget-O 01elantech_2.6.38.patch https: / / launchpadlibrarian.net/71387234/01elantech_2.6.38.patch
patch-p1 <01elantech_2.6.38.patch

sorry for my English I'm French !

szbab (szbab-club) wrote :

same problem with a laptop Clevo W270HUQ
2.6.38 kernel on Ubuntu 11.04
TouchPad: smart pad Elan

this tutorial solved by changing the patch http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9175201 # post9175201

with this patch https: / / bugs.launchpad.net / ubuntu / + source / xserver-xorg-video-intel / + bug/681904/comments/59

replace lines Step 5:
wget-O 01elantech_2.6.38.patch https: / / launchpadlibrarian.net/71387234/01elantech_2.6.38.patch
patch-p1 <01elantech_2.6.38.patch

sorry for my English I'm French!

szbab (szbab-club) wrote :

same problem with a laptop Clevo W270HUQ
2.6.38 kernel on Ubuntu 11.04
TouchPad: smart pad Elan

this tutorial solved by changing the patch:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9175201#post9175201

with this patch:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/681904/comments/59

replace lines Step 5:
wget -O 01elantech_2.6.38.patch https://launchpadlibrarian.net/71387234/01elantech_2.6.38.patch
patch -p1 < 01elantech_2.6.38.patch

sorry for my English I'm French!

I have the same problem. My notebook is a Samsuns RC512 with ELAN smart-pad. In linux (ubuntu 11.04) I cannot get the functions to work (vertical / horizontal scrolling, two finger scrolling etc, doesn't work), it works in single finger only. Can anyone help?

Le 30/05/2011 18:53, Daniel José Leber Silvestre a écrit :
> I have the same problem. My notebook is a Samsuns RC512 with ELAN smart-
> pad. In linux (ubuntu 11.04) I cannot get the functions to work
> (vertical / horizontal scrolling, two finger scrolling etc, doesn't
> work), it works in single finger only. Can anyone help?
>
here's how I process
see attached file

good luck

I'll try this patch this week. After this I'll tell you if it works.
Thanks!!

It works!!!! Thank you very much!!!

Éric Piel (pieleric) wrote :

szbab, where did you find the patch: https://launchpadlibrarian.net/71387234/01elantech_2.6.38.patch

Apparently it's an updated version of the kernel driver written by elantech themselves, but I can't see anywhere on internet this patch. Did they send it directly to you?

Confirmed running 10.04 on a Samsung R540. Runs fine in windows 7.

This bug was filed against a series that is no longer supported and so is being marked as Won't Fix. If this issue still exists in a supported series, please file a new bug.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the Ubuntu Kernel Team.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Won't Fix

Latest Lucid kernel upgrade 2.6.32-33-generic fixed the issue at least for me and now the touch pad tab is visible in the System -> Preferences -> Mouse.

Chromos (sf12) wrote :

Im using Natty Kernel 2.6.38-10-generic on an Asus K43SV and my elantech Touchpad is recognized as PS/2 Generic Mouse. I cannot use two-finger-scrolling. This seems to me a very similar bug.

LifeBringer (ra-thesungod) wrote :

Im using Natty Kernel 2.6.38-10-generic as well. On an Acer as7560 and my elantech 'smart-pad' is recognized as PS/2 generic mouse.

Claudia (claudiasf) wrote :

I installed the patch, and it is now recognized as elantech touchpad but vertical/horizontal scrolling doesn't work properly, and movements are not precise (moves too fast even not set to the fastest option), besides everytime i reboot, movement speed decreases and any change I've made in scrolling/pointer speed is lost....

I use Linux Mint 11, on a samsung rv411 and my kernel version is 2.6.38-8.

on dmesg:

[ 14.697726] elantech: assuming hardware version 3, firmware version 69.15.0
[ 14.736410] elantech: Synaptics capabilities query result 0x08, 0x15, 0x0c.
[ 14.795461] EXT4-fs (sda2): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
[ 14.823725] elantech: x_max = 2508, y_max = 1320
[ 14.840555] input: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input10

on $ cat /proc/bus/input/devices |tail

N: Name="ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input10
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse1 event10
B: PROP=8
B: EV=b
B: KEY=6420 0 30000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=2608000 11000003

on # sudo dmidecode -t System

# dmidecode 2.9
SMBIOS 2.6 present.

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
 Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
 Product Name: RV411/RV511/E3511/S3511
 Version: Not Applicable
 Serial Number: AZGQ9KDB300544
 UUID: 00B606EC-DF1D-B211-8000-B45FD52E9FFD
 Wake-up Type: Power Switch
 SKU Number: Not Specified
 Family: Not Specified

Handle 0x0016, DMI type 12, 5 bytes
System Configuration Options
 Option 1: Jumper settings can be described here.

Handle 0x0017, DMI type 15, 29 bytes
System Event Log
 Area Length: 16 bytes
 Header Start Offset: 0x0000
 Header Length: 16 bytes
 Data Start Offset: 0x0010
 Access Method: General-purpose non-volatile data functions
 Access Address: 0x0000
 Status: Valid, Not Full
 Change Token: 0x000000BB
 Header Format: Type 1
 Supported Log Type Descriptors: 3
 Descriptor 1: POST error
 Data Format 1: POST results bitmap
 Descriptor 2: Single-bit ECC memory error
 Data Format 2: Multiple-event
 Descriptor 3: Multi-bit ECC memory error
 Data Format 3: Multiple-event

Handle 0x0023, DMI type 23, 13 bytes
System Reset
 Status: Enabled
 Watchdog Timer: Present
 Boot Option: Do Not Reboot
 Boot Option On Limit: Do Not Reboot
 Reset Count: Unknown
 Reset Limit: Unknown
 Timer Interval: Unknown
 Timeout: Unknown

Handle 0x002B, DMI type 32, 20 bytes
System Boot Information
 Status: No errors detected

Any clue???

Displaying first 40 and last 40 comments. View all 108 comments or add a comment.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.