Cannot login to Empathy after setting up Google online account
Description: Ubuntu 12.10
*** 188.8.131.52-0ubuntu1 0
* New installation of 12.10 Ubuntu
* Expected to be able to use Google Talk in Empathy after adding a Google account under Online Accounts
* Account can be added successfully, however Empathy displays "Google Talk Account requires authorisation"
* Clicking on the icon opens Online Accounts but does not offer an option to perform any further authorisation.
* Seahorse shows two entries for the Google account, one of which lists the correct password, the other of which lists a seemingly random collection of characters separated by percentage symbols
* Checked Google account, Ubuntu has permission to access: Picasa Web Albums, Profile Information, Google Docs, Google Talk
* Google account is not set up to use 2-step verification
* Removed account and seahorse entries, set up from scratch
* If possible, will use non-alphanumeric characters in passwords, so tested with only alphanumeric password - no difference
* Not going through a proxy
Activating empathy-debugger shows:
wocky/-DEBUG: 21/10/12 11:22:20.784214: _end_element_ns: Received stanza
* failure xmlns='
* missing-username xmlns='google:auth'
wocky/-DEBUG: 21/10/12 11:22:20.784320: auth_failed: wocky-sasl-
So, it seems that seahorse has the correct password in place, and the Google account is set up in such a way as to allow the application to work. That being the case, it makes no sense to be getting an authorisation error, unless there is something else that isn't immediately obvious.
Have checked for open bugs here:
However nothing that matched this exact problem jumped out - a lot of issues seem to be with 2-step verification (but as mentioned earlier this has not been enabled).
Asked for advice here:
Was advised to log a bug report.
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.10
Package: empathy 184.108.40.206-0ubuntu1
Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64
Date: Sun Oct 21 21:21:36 2012
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release amd64 (20121017.5)
PATH=(custom, no user)
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
|Steven Roose (stevenroose) wrote : Re: [Bug 1069531] Re: Cannot login to Empathy after setting up Google online account||#17|
|Changed in empathy (Ubuntu):|
|status:||Incomplete → Confirmed|
|status:||Confirmed → Incomplete|