translated package descriptions in aptcache get reset on dbus activation

Bug #794907 reported by Michael Vogt on 2011-06-09
68
This bug affects 10 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ubuntu Translations
High
Unassigned
apt (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned
Maverick
High
Unassigned
Natty
High
Unassigned
Oneiric
High
Unassigned
aptdaemon (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned
Maverick
High
Unassigned
Natty
High
Unassigned
Oneiric
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: aptdaemon

When aptdaemon is activated over dbus it does not get any language information anymore in natty. This means that if aptdaemon needs to rebuild the aptcache (which happens on almost each start, but that seems to be a different bug) it will throw away all ddtp translations when the cache is build because its running with LANG/LANGUAGE unset. This means that no ddtp translations are displayed in software-center or other apps.

Related branches

Michael Vogt (mvo) on 2011-06-09
Changed in aptdaemon (Ubuntu Natty):
status: New → Confirmed
importance: Undecided → High
Changed in aptdaemon (Ubuntu Oneiric):
importance: Undecided → High
Michael Vogt (mvo) wrote :

After some further debugging it appears that the actual problem here is that in natty the installer does not set
 LANGUAGE in /etc/default/locale anymore

Hendrik Knackstedt (hennekn) wrote :

This must have changed a while ago then because this problem already exists in Lucid.

Michael Vogt (mvo) wrote :

After more debugging it appears the problem is deep inside apt, the following commit fixes it for me:
  http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mvo/apt/mvo/revision/1797

@Hendrik:
Just to confirm, what you see is that the package descriptions are not translated when using software-center as well, right?

David Planella (dpm) on 2011-06-09
Changed in ubuntu-translations:
status: New → Triaged
importance: Undecided → High
Hendrik Knackstedt (hennekn) wrote :

Yes. And I've seen this issue at least in Maverick and I think I've seen it in Lucid too. I don't have Lucid running anymore so I cannot test it.

Michael Vogt (mvo) on 2011-06-09
Changed in aptdaemon (Ubuntu Natty):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Michael Vogt (mvo) on 2011-06-09
Changed in apt (Ubuntu Natty):
status: New → Triaged
Changed in apt (Ubuntu Oneiric):
importance: Undecided → High
Changed in apt (Ubuntu Natty):
importance: Undecided → High
Changed in apt (Ubuntu Oneiric):
status: New → In Progress
Michael Vogt (mvo) wrote :

I found two other issues related to this problem in apt. I think its fixed now in he "lp:~mvo/apt/mvo" branch, I will merge to ubuntu shortly.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package apt - 0.8.14.1ubuntu7

---------------
apt (0.8.14.1ubuntu7) oneiric; urgency=low

  [ Michael Vogt ]
  * apt-pkg/deb/deblistparser.cc:
    - include all known languages when building the apt cache
      (LP: #794907)
  * apt-pkg/deb/debindexfile.cc:
    - remove some no longer valid checks for "TranslationsAvailable()"
 -- Michael Vogt <email address hidden> Thu, 09 Jun 2011 13:56:25 +0200

Changed in apt (Ubuntu Oneiric):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
Hendrik Knackstedt (hennekn) wrote :

Thanks a lot, Michael Can we backport this fix to Natty?

Michael Vogt (mvo) on 2011-06-09
Changed in aptdaemon (Ubuntu Maverick):
importance: Undecided → High
Changed in apt (Ubuntu Maverick):
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → Triaged
Changed in aptdaemon (Ubuntu Maverick):
status: New → Invalid
Changed in aptdaemon (Ubuntu Oneiric):
status: New → Invalid
Michael Vogt (mvo) wrote :

Hey Hendrik - absolutely. This will get backported once there is confirmation that its the full fix and there is no other corner case that I overlooked.

Kyle Nitzsche (knitzsche) wrote :

Hi Michael.

I still have this problem, even with apt 0.8.14.1ubuntu7. I am using natty with oem-config as the first boot experience. In software center, app names and descriptions are not translated. I originally made a bug against software center (bug 777990). I now think that bug is a dup of this one.

I tested with apt 0.8.14.1ubuntu7 in a vm to see if that would fix it, and it does not. The image has all Chinese/Simplified lang packs pre-installed ('check-language-supprt -l zh-hans' returns no missing pkgs). Here's my test sequence.
* boot for the first time:
 - first page of oem-config displays in tty7
 - switch to tty 6
 - kill oem-config (sudo killall oem-config)
 - scp apt deb and its unsatified depends debs (gcc-4.6-base_4.6.0-13ubuntu1_i386.deb libstdc++6_4.6.0-13ubuntu1_i386.deb apt_0.8.14.1ubuntu7_i386.deb)
 - install them with sudo dpkg
 - reboot
* complete oem-config with Chinese/Simplifed as the language selection.
* software-center apps and descriptions not translated
* run 'sudo update-software-center'
* software-center apps and descriptions ARE translated

JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

This bug affects Ubuntu 10.10, Maverick Meerkat. Maverick has reached end-of-life and is no longer supported, so I am closing the bugtask for Maverick. Please upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu.
More information here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2012-April/000158.html

Changed in apt (Ubuntu Maverick):
status: Triaged → Invalid
dino99 (9d9) wrote :
Changed in apt (Ubuntu Natty):
status: Triaged → Invalid
Hendrik Knackstedt (hennekn) wrote :

Kyle: If this is still a problem for you, please report a new bug. This bug is marked Fix Released therefore I am closing it for Ubuntu translations.

Changed in ubuntu-translations:
status: Triaged → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Related blueprints