MASTER Copy-Paste doesn't work if the source is closed before the paste

Reported by Arandonohue on 2004-12-20
This bug affects 337 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
AbiWord
Confirmed
Medium
ChmSee
Unknown
Unknown
Chromium Browser
Unknown
Unknown
Eclipse
Unknown
Unknown
Empathy
Unknown
Medium
Epiphany
Invalid
Medium
GTK+
Confirmed
Medium
GnuCash
Fix Released
Medium
Inkscape
Low
Unassigned
KDE Utilities
New
Undecided
Unassigned
LibreOffice Productivity Suite
Confirmed
Medium
OpenOffice
Confirmed
Unknown
Qt
New
Undecided
Unassigned
Webkit
Fix Released
Medium
X.Org X server
Invalid
High
XULRunner
Fix Released
Medium
Xournal
New
Undecided
Unassigned
gnome-utils
New
Undecided
Unassigned
kdelibs
New
Undecided
Unassigned
mousepad
New
Undecided
Unassigned
tomboy
New
Medium
Ubuntu
Wishlist
Unassigned
Declined for Dapper by Chris Coulson
Declined for Hardy by Chris Coulson
Declined for Intrepid by Chris Coulson
Declined for Jaunty by Chris Coulson
Declined for Karmic by Chris Coulson
Declined for Lucid by Chris Coulson
Declined for Maverick by Sebastien Bacher

Bug Description

===+++ _____________________ ! ALL USERS ! _____________________ +++===
===+++ READ THIS BEFORE MAKING A COMMENT OR MODIFICATION +++===

IMPORTANT 1: Please see the WORKAROUND a few lines below.

IMPORTANT 2: Please don't post any "me too message"; use the "Does this bug affect you?" feature you can find a bit above this bug description on Launchpad.

IMPORTANT 3: Do not post anything if you haven't read all comments to verify that your point hasn't been made. If you feel tempted to stop reading because there are too many messages, that is a strong indicator that you shouldn't add even more comments. Developers have a tough time to find anything if you post redundant stuff. So please abstain from doing that.

*** WORKAROUND ***
---------------------------
Install diodon, klipper, glipper, parcellite or xfce4-clipman
--------------------------------------------

*** EXPLANATION OF THE BUG ***
When I copy (Ctrl + C, or right click and "Copy") text from somewhere and after that close the program where it is, the clipboard gets empty.

Steps to reproduce in gedit :
1. Pick any text field that supports copying, copy some text.
2. Paste into any other text field.
3. It works.
4. Close the source window or program.
5. Paste now does nothing.

This bug will happen in any application that doesn't comply with the clipboard specification from FreeDesktop.
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/ClipboardManager

There was also previous considerations about improving xserver-xorg clipboard, which would reduce adaptation work from upstream projects to comply with the specification.
Xorg : https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25220
http://www.x.org/wiki/CutAndPaste
A related proposal is to implement it in Wayland: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wayland/+bug/865885

******** Actual Status : ********
----- Not fixed : ------
OpenOffice : http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=63092
LibreOffice : https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=48783
GIMP | GTK+ : https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=510204
Gnucash : http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=510205
Inkscape : This bug.
Blender : https://developer.blender.org/T38674

++++ Fixed : +++++
Firefox, Thunderbird, Sunbird (Xulrunner) : Fixed in 1.9.3 trunk https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=311340
Evolution : Fixed in 2.29 http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=258374
Chromium : http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=32291
Pidgin : Fixed
Gedit : Fixed
Most Gnome apps, Fixed
*************************************

Related branches

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

anybody with some knowledge about the internals of the copy/paste system ?

Daniel Stone (daniels) wrote :

I believe the reporter has just discovered how X's clipboard mechanism works;
there is no persistent store. When you click 'copy', the source window simply
announces that it is claiming the CLIPBOARD selection (others to claim include
PRIMARY and SECONDARY). When you click 'paste', that window is queried for the
contents of the selection. If the window[0] does not exist, it cannot be
queried, and thus you cannot paste.

[0]: Not window as such, but connection to the X server. As soon as that
instance has no connection, it's out.

Since gnome desktop that firefox attempts to blend with on linux uses the
freedesktop specs for clipboard management, anything copied from firefox is lost
when firefox is closed as firefox does not follow these specifications:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fclipboards_2dspec

in other applications copying something and closing the application does not
cause the copied content to be lost (this clipboard manager was implemented in
gnome 2.12)

*** Bug 312485 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

I'd like to bring this to the attention of the necessary developers so we can get this in - it's annoying having Firefox not interact properly with gnome-clipboard-daemon (or anything else for that matter).

*** Bug 330704 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

I'm not sure I follow. We follow the spec at http://standards.freedesktop.org/clipboards-spec/clipboards-0.1.txt just fine -- the Ctrl-c key combination uses CLIPBOARD while mouse-highlight uses PRIMARY.

The behavior I observe in Mozilla is the same as the behavior I observe in Gnumeric and the Terminal thing that Fedora Core 4 ships with -- the CLIPBOARD is available until the app quits, but not after that.

So as far as I can tell, this bug is invalid -- it's demanding that we implement a specification that we already implement and implying that doing that will change what happens when the browser is shutdown (which looks like an unrelated issue to me).

What am I missing?

The problem from my perspective is that Firefox somehow bypasses gnome-clipboard-daemon which is used for ensuring that CLIPBOARD does exist after the program quits.

I guess it's a duplicate of Bug 23386. Someone should probably dupe one of these against the other.

Btw the Summary field of this bug is really invalid. AFAICS, gnome-clipboard-daemon is not a part of the Freedesktop.org specification.

One last thing (sorry for too many messages). I'm using GNOME and Cutting and Pasting from Gedit (as an example) works even after I quit it. However, I've just checked and I don't see any gnome-clipboard-daemon or -manager banary running or even existing on my system. However I've found out an announcement of GNOME 2.12 [1], which states that that version of GNOME is managing the clipboard in a new, much better, way. It also states that this feature is based on a freedesktop.org specification.

The summary of this bug should be changed to something more exact, but I'm not sure about to what. However, the developers of Mozilla may want to look at the list of clipboard-related links in freedesktop.org[2].

[1] http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/gnome-2-12/
[2] http://freedesktop.org/wiki/FindPage?action=titlesearch&value=clipboard

(one last message for now, I promise).
It's the link that is bad, not the summary. Someone please change the link to http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fclipboard_2dmanager_2dspec

Also, please dupe Bug 23386 against this one.

could anybody apply the changes listed in my last comment, please?

I confirm this issue as well.

From Daniel Stone answer I understand that this is no bug but the common behaviour of the X clipboard?

Still I (perhaps not only me as I see that this "bug" is reported more than once (see #36165) ) find this behaviour quite strange.

Perhaps I will get used to it but does anybody know if there is a workaround for this issue?

Thanks in advance...

Andreas Lloyd (lloydinho) wrote :

Ubuntu QA guy Simon Law puts it like this:

"Thank you for your report.

This behaviour has always been the case and is a design feature of X11.

You are describing SELECTION and PRIMARY buffers. They were separate and have semantics that are both supported by major X applications. It is unlikely that this will change in the near future, even though more and more applications prefer exposing the PRIMARY buffer in their menu systems."

glipper is a good solution/work around:
http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/Glipper

Magnetizer (magnetizer) wrote :

Thanks Marcel :-)

I'll try

*** Bug 23386 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Changing the URL and reassigning the bug to Toolkits/Widgets, as it seems more appropriate to go there.

Anyone know if a freedesktop clipboard fix will be in Firefox 3? Firefox sticks out like a sore thumb due to this issue and makes it look unpolished, even though it ships with many Linux distros. (there are multiple bugs in Ubuntu's Launchpad about this as well, if devs need more info: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/21202 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/69613
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/81506 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/90477 )

I don't think this bug should be considered an RFE anymore. It's much rather a major loss of functionality, IMO.

FWIW, even windows works this way (as in, once the source window is closed, the data is lost).

Having glipper as a dep would solve this though.

Alec Wright (alecjw) wrote :

Why should it work this way? Ok, it saves memory, but out of 1GB or so, a few bytes of text isn't going to do much. I think this bug should be confirmed and marked as wishlist

Andrey Andreev (narf) wrote :

No, windows does not work this way - I just tested it.

Alec Wright (alecjw) wrote :

Well in the grand scheme of things, how windows works is pretty irrelevant. This is ubuntu, which should work in the way that works best, not just the same way as windows.

Andrey Andreev (narf) wrote :

I agree on that and I've never said it should work this way just because Windows does.
I was just replying to Sarah Hobbs' comment.

Hi,

I want to solve this problem whether a bug or not..
Can anybody help me, I want to know where exactly this problem should be delt with.
I mean, which file in the source code contains the relevant code.

i also have this problem (Bug #11334)

is it possible to solve this problem on Ubuntu 8.04 ?

Chi (nickmacavoy) wrote :

This would have to be my number 1 "bug" in Ubuntu, I run into it several times a day and is at the top of my wishlist to Santa. I understand it's not bug, it's in fact working perfectly, it's just restrictive and a little frustrating.

Alec Wright (alecjw) wrote :

This bug definitely is valid, and confirmed by several people. It should probably be wishlist rather than medium though.

Since the URL field leads to a page that doesn't exist, I am pointing it to current location of Clipboard Manager specification:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/clipboard-manager-spec

Trisha: This bug is not about the Clipboard spec, which as B Zbarsky rightly pointed out, Firefox already implements, but rather the Clipboard *Manager* spec.

I have this bug too!

1960 called and want their copy&paste system back.

Windows 3.11 could do this 15+ years ago.

This bug pisses me off! Fix it!

Fred (eldmannen+launchpad) wrote :

This is an important bug, and its been 3-4 years since its been reported, and you still haven't fixed it.
Other operating systems have had the functionality for like 20 years.

Please fix this.

This annoys me a lot. I must use Epiphany or other browser, if you cant fix it.

Really? 3-4 years? Why has it not been fixed after so long a time?

Pedro Villavicencio (pedro) wrote :

Because probably nobody has the knowledge, time or is not interested to work on it? Comments like you're posting recently doesn't help at all, if you want to help to get this fixed you can work on a patch and submit it to the report, but please stop commenting with no useful information. thanks in advance.

This bug is _the_ most annoying bug for Firefox on Ubuntu. I'm hit my this bug at least once every week.

*** Bug 221183 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

I think there are case where it is very important to retain copy buffer : Have you ever tried to create a filter with a header in evolution ?
A natural way would be :
- Show source message
- Select and copy desired header
- Close window
- Go to Edit > Filters > New >
- Paste
Unfortunately, it doesn't work, because of what has been said above... I have to keep the window open, and once filter is created, go back to find it in order to close it...

But I thought selection buffer (X-managed) was different from copy-paste (WM managed)... but even CTRL-C doesn't retain clipboard...

It is my #1 wishlist/bugfix as I run into it very often... Worst, it seems to me that even if selection buffer worked that way, copy-paste used to behave as expected... maybe in my days of using windowmaker ?

Thanks for working so hard for us !

LimCore (limcore) on 2009-06-02
description: updated
tags: added: epicfail
Martin Albisetti (beuno) on 2009-06-03
tags: removed: epicfail
Mat Tomaszewski (mat.t.) on 2009-06-05
Changed in hundredpapercuts:
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in hundredpapercuts:
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Vish (vish) on 2009-08-23
tags: added: ayatana
description: updated
description: updated
Vish (vish) on 2009-08-31
affects: hundredpapercuts → null
summary: - Copy-Paste doesn't work if the source is closed before the paste
+ MASTER Copy-Paste doesn't work if the source is closed before the paste
Vish (vish) on 2009-11-25
Changed in hundredpapercuts:
status: New → Invalid
Endolith (endolith) on 2009-11-25
Changed in hundredpapercuts:
status: Invalid → New
Vish (vish) on 2009-11-25
Changed in hundredpapercuts:
status: New → Invalid
Micah Gersten (micahg) on 2009-11-26
Changed in null:
importance: High → Unknown
status: Invalid → Unknown
affects: null → xserver
affects: xserver → xorg-server
Changed in xorg-server:
status: Unknown → Confirmed
description: updated
Micah Gersten (micahg) on 2010-02-09
description: updated
description: updated
C de-Avillez (hggdh2) on 2010-02-09
description: updated
Vish (vish) on 2010-02-09
description: updated
LimCore (limcore) on 2010-02-09
Changed in hundredpapercuts:
status: Invalid → Confirmed
LimCore (limcore) on 2010-02-09
Changed in hundredpapercuts:
status: Confirmed → Invalid
description: updated
description: updated
Hell Pé (hellpe) on 2010-04-01
description: updated
Changed in epiphany:
status: Unknown → New
Changed in empathy:
status: Unknown → New
Changed in abiword:
status: Unknown → Confirmed
Changed in openoffice:
status: Unknown → Confirmed
Changed in empathy:
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in xulrunner:
status: Unknown → Fix Released
Vistaus (djmusic121) on 2010-06-07
Changed in hundredpapercuts:
status: Invalid → Confirmed
Changed in hundredpapercuts:
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Changed in gtk:
status: Unknown → New
Changed in tomboy:
status: Unknown → New
Changed in empathy:
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Changed in empathy:
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
Ivanka Majic (ivanka) on 2010-07-06
tags: added: rhubarb
Changed in empathy:
status: Confirmed → Invalid
241 comments hidden view all 300 comments

I have this problem on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 English. Firefox 3.6.8 Final English. Copy url from adresbar, restart firefox, then paste copied url, and clipboard is empty...

Marc, this particular bug is Linux-specific. You should file a new one if you happen to have this same problem on Windows. Clipboard implementations are completely different among different operating systems, so Windows issues are totally irrelevant in this Linux bug.

(In reply to comment #52)
> Marc, this particular bug is Linux-specific. You should file a new one if you
> happen to have this same problem on Windows. Clipboard implementations are
> completely different among different operating systems, so Windows issues are
> totally irrelevant in this Linux bug.

Ok, thanks :)

Created attachment 461511
1.9.2 version

Comment on attachment 461511
1.9.2 version

We will not be taking this for .9. Moving approval request forward.

Changed in gtk:
status: New → Invalid
description: updated
description: updated

There is an unfixed dependency (bug 531580) and a fixed dependency (bug 518249) that depends on an unfixed bug (bug 552449).

Until those are resolved we can't take this on the branches.

jazzynico (jazzynico) on 2010-08-29
Changed in inkscape:
importance: Undecided → Low
status: New → Confirmed
affects: hundredpapercuts → null
Changed in xorg-server:
importance: Unknown → High
Changed in gtk:
importance: Unknown → Medium
status: Invalid → Confirmed
Changed in gnucash:
importance: Unknown → Medium
status: Unknown → Confirmed
Changed in empathy:
importance: Unknown → Medium
status: Invalid → Unknown
Changed in epiphany:
importance: Unknown → Medium
Changed in tomboy:
importance: Unknown → Medium
Changed in xulrunner:
importance: Unknown → Medium
Changed in xorg-server:
importance: High → Unknown
Changed in webkit:
status: Unknown → Fix Released
Changed in abiword:
importance: Unknown → Medium
Changed in webkit:
importance: Unknown → Medium
Changed in xorg-server:
importance: Unknown → High
description: updated
25 comments hidden view all 300 comments
Endolith (endolith) wrote :

> I seem to be in the wrong place. I came here looking for a GNU/Linux distro (am I allowed to say "GNU" on an Ubuntu site, or is that censored?)

Ubuntu might not be the right OS for you. You might prefer something with "GNU" in the title and a 1970s command line instead of an interface, with a picture of RMS in the boot screen instead of a penguin. I don't see why all these people start using Ubuntu and then complain about how it's becoming too easy to use and too similar to other OSes. Just use a different distro! Stop trying to sabotage Ubuntu's success with archaic crap.

> So the question is, if you're all so enamoured with Windows and the Mac, why don't you just stick to those operating systems

No no no. I used Ubuntu for 4 years and I'm *fed up* with it, so I *switched* to Windows. I'm not *sticking* with it. I'm *switching* to it. Different.

> instead of trying to pervert GNU/Linux into the very thing people switch to GNU/Linux to get away from?

Yeah, people are switching to Linux in droves, and the primary reason is because the clipboard in Windows just works too damn well. What they're really craving is a clipboard that forgets everything when you close the app.

And why am I still getting notifications for this bug when I've unsubscribed from it and other duplicates? >:(

And why does Launchpad allow people to argue and leave advocacy comments and other irrelevant noise like this, which is then sent to every one of the subscribers? There should be a way for users to mod up or down the relevancy of comments, so the irrelevant ones are minimized and the bug listing isn't crapped up with 260 comments that don't help fix the bug.

pyrates (pyrates18) wrote :

Slated, thank you for your comment. You've just said what linux users say when they are confronted with bugs in their precious distro. That instead of fixing them, they write them off and tell the user to just not use it.

It's one extreme to another. From this is the year of the linux desktop, to if you don't like it go use something else because it's free and if you got it for free you got no right to complain about it.

I know it's a defense mechanism because that kind of response can only come from someone whose just had their reality shattered by a reasonable argument. When your entire belief system is suddenly shown be false or part of it is shown to be false, you can either accept it or rationalize it further so that it can again fit in your belief system. That's why some people's reasons here for not wanting this fixed are so predictable. You only can rationalize something so far.

I'm not sure why the Ubuntu programmers have left this bug open for the community. With the amount of people wanting it fixed, I don't know why they won't commit to fixing this properly. Maybe they are with wayland. I'd hope so.

1 comments hidden view all 300 comments
Download full text (4.7 KiB)

Slated, please dont feed the trolls...

El , Slated <email address hidden> escribió:
> pyrates: "use to the method that windows and mac os x do".

> Tralalalala: "open source idiot".

> Endolith: "Just switch to a working OS like Windows 7".

> Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Ubuntu "community".

> I seem to be in the wrong place. I came here looking for a GNU/Linux

> distro (am I allowed to say "GNU" on an Ubuntu site, or is that

> censored?), but apparently this is a Windows/Mac evangelism site.

> So the question is, if you're all so enamoured with Windows and the Mac,

> why don't you just stick to those operating systems, instead of trying

> to pervert GNU/Linux into the very thing people switch to GNU/Linux to

> get away from?

> Or is that too obvious?

> Anyway, good luck fixing your "bug". May you and your Windows, erm, I

> mean "Linux" operating system be very happy together.

> --

> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber

> of a duplicate bug (528538).

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/11334

> Title:

> MASTER Copy-Paste doesn't work if the source is closed before the

> paste

> Status in AbiWord:

> Confirmed

> Status in ChmSee:

> Unknown

> Status in Chromium Browser:

> Unknown

> Status in Eclipse:

> Unknown

> Status in Chat app, and Telepathy user interface:

> Unknown

> Status in Epiphany - Clone of BoulderDash Game:

> New

> Status in gnome-utils - GNOME Desktop Utilities:

> New

> Status in GnuCash - Finance manager:

> Confirmed

> Status in GTK+ GUI Toolkit:

> Confirmed

> Status in Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool:

> Confirmed

> Status in NULL Project:

> Invalid

> Status in The OpenOffice.org Suite:

> Confirmed

> Status in Tomboy:

> New

> Status in Webkit Direct Port:

> Fix Released

> Status in X.Org X server:

> Confirmed

> Status in Xournal:

> New

> Status in XUL + XPCOM application runner:

> Fix Released

> Status in Ubuntu:

> Confirmed

> Bug description:

> ===+++ _____________________ ! ALL USERS ! _____________________ +++===

> ===+++ READ THIS BEFORE MAKING A COMMENT OR MODIFICATION +++===

> IMPORTANT 1: Please see the WORKAROUND a few lines below.

> IMPORTANT 2: Please don't post any "me too message"; use the "Does

> this bug affect you?" feature you can find a bit above this bug

> description on launchpad.

> IMPORTANT 3: Do not post anything if you haven't read all comments to

> verify that your point hasn't been made. If you feel tempted to stop

> reading because there are too many messages, that is a strong

> indicator that you shouldn't add even more comments. Developers have a

> tough time to find anything if you post redundant stuff. So please

> abstain from doing that.

> *** WORKAROUND ***

> ---------------------------

> Install klipper, glipper, parcellite or xfce4-clipman

> --------------------------------------------

> When I copy (Ctrl + C, or right click and "Copy") text from somewhere

> and after that c...

Read more...

Murray Cumming (murrayc) wrote :

Please stop the abuse. It is not helpful at all. Please see the code of conduct.

1 comments hidden view all 300 comments
Tralalalala (tralalalala) wrote :

"Please stop the abuse. It is not helpful at all. Please see the code of conduct."

Like it's possible to post anything helpfull on this bug report. This bug isn't fixed after all those years and even in the year 2024 this bug will not be fixed. It's completely impossible to post anything helpfull here, because this bug (like so many other annoying bugs in Ubuntu (and Linux in general)) won't be fixed.

pyrates (pyrates18) wrote :

Just so we don't fill up this bug report anymore, here's a fresh start for people who don't want it implemented the way freedesktop.org has:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wayland/+bug/865885

But would rather have it implemented properly, instead of on a per app basis.

Changed in xorg-server:
status: Confirmed → Invalid
robbert (robbertvandendoorn) wrote :

For everyone who wants this bug to be fixed in this crappy, amateuristic operating system: It will never happen.

The only way to solve is this problem: Buy a Mac or install Windows.

I'm confident a big number of people who subscribed to this bug of clicked "Affects me too" have already solved this problem by just not using Linux anymore. Most people who try Linux, uninstall it again within a few months, because they get so annoyed by all those bugs.

I've tried and on ubuntu 8.04 it seems to work

Bye!

> For everyone who wants this bug to be fixed in this crappy, amateuristic
> operating system: It will never happen.
>
> The only way to solve is this problem: Buy a Mac or install Windows.
>
> I'm confident a big number of people who subscribed to this bug of
> clicked "Affects me too" have already solved this problem by just not
> using Linux anymore. Most people who try Linux, uninstall it again
> within a few months, because they get so annoyed by all those bugs.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (430563).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/11334
>
> Title:
> MASTER Copy-Paste doesn't work if the source is closed before the
> paste
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/abiword/+bug/11334/+subscriptions
>

Curtis Hovey (sinzui) on 2011-11-11
no longer affects: null

This is f****** ridiculous, more than 6 years, it can't take THAT long to fix this. I understand this is the way it is designed, but it is designed the wrong way if you can't paste after closing the source of the copy.
And importance should be at the very least "High"

skabbedabbeda (skabtrebge) wrote :

@matteo sisti sette (matteosistisette):

"Reported by Arandonohue on 2004-12-20". That's indeed more than 6 years, but it's even more than 7 years. Besides that, it's been more than 7 years the bug was reported on Ubuntu's Launchpad, but this bug is way older. Even before Ubuntu existed, this bug already existed and was to be found in Linux distributions which existed 10 years ago.

Don't expect this bug to be fixed, because developers just don't care about this bug. If you want to get rid of this bug, then there's only one solution: Don't use this crap anymore. Install Windows or buy a Mac (or try to install Mac OS X on a regular PC). That's the only solution.

My advice is to buy a Mac. I know they aren't cheap, but I did so and it works great. It's just absolutely gorgeous. Everything just works as it's supposed to.

Just get rid of Linux completely. Using another distribution isn't an option, because it's all the same crap. Linux is only good for servers which run without a GUI, it's just not designed for desktops. For your desktop there are only two operatings systems which really work: Windows and Mac OS X (although I'm so sure about the first one, but it's way better than any Linux distribution available.)

3esmit (3esmit) wrote :
Download full text (4.9 KiB)

Dear @skabbedabbeda

We like linux, we believe in an open source future, where open source
is the best. We want all to be perfect, we dont want Mac.

2012/1/26 skabbedabbeda <email address hidden>:
> @matteo sisti sette (matteosistisette):
>
> "Reported by Arandonohue on 2004-12-20". That's indeed more than 6
> years, but it's even more than 7 years. Besides that, it's been more
> than 7 years the bug was reported on Ubuntu's Launchpad, but this bug is
> way older. Even before Ubuntu existed, this bug already existed and was
> to be found in Linux distributions which existed 10 years ago.
>
> Don't expect this bug to be fixed, because developers just don't care
> about this bug. If you want to get rid of this bug, then there's only
> one solution: Don't use this crap anymore. Install Windows or buy a Mac
> (or try to install Mac OS X on a regular PC). That's the only solution.
>
> My advice is to buy a Mac. I know they aren't cheap, but I did so and it
> works great. It's just absolutely gorgeous. Everything just works as
> it's supposed to.
>
> Just get rid of Linux completely. Using another distribution isn't an
> option, because it's all the same crap. Linux is only good for servers
> which run without a GUI, it's just not designed for desktops. For your
> desktop there are only two operatings systems which really work: Windows
> and Mac OS X (although I'm so sure about the first one, but it's way
> better than any Linux distribution available.)
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/11334
>
> Title:
>  MASTER Copy-Paste doesn't work if the source is closed before the
>  paste
>
> Status in AbiWord:
>  Confirmed
> Status in ChmSee:
>  Unknown
> Status in Chromium Browser:
>  Unknown
> Status in Eclipse:
>  Unknown
> Status in Chat app, and Telepathy user interface:
>  Unknown
> Status in Epiphany - Clone of BoulderDash Game:
>  New
> Status in gnome-utils - GNOME Desktop Utilities:
>  New
> Status in GnuCash - Finance manager:
>  Confirmed
> Status in GTK+ GUI Toolkit:
>  Confirmed
> Status in Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool:
>  Confirmed
> Status in The OpenOffice.org Suite:
>  Confirmed
> Status in Tomboy:
>  New
> Status in Webkit Direct Port:
>  Fix Released
> Status in X.Org X server:
>  Invalid
> Status in Xournal:
>  New
> Status in XUL + XPCOM application runner:
>  Fix Released
> Status in Ubuntu:
>  Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
>  ===+++ _____________________ ! ALL USERS ! _____________________ +++===
>  ===+++ READ THIS BEFORE MAKING A COMMENT OR MODIFICATION +++===
>
>  IMPORTANT 1: Please see the WORKAROUND a few lines below.
>
>  IMPORTANT 2: Please don't post any "me too message"; use the "Does
>  this bug affect you?" feature you can find a bit above this bug
>  description on launchpad.
>
>  IMPORTANT 3: Do not post anything if you haven't read all comments to
>  verify that your point hasn't been made. If you feel tempted to stop
>  reading because there are too many messages, that is a strong
>  indicator that you shouldn't add even more comments. Developers have a
>  tough time to find anything if you post redundant stuff. So pl...

Read more...

Martin Lindhe (martinlindhe) wrote :

skabbedabbeda wrote 2012-01-26 14:01:
>
> My advice is to buy a Mac. I know they aren't cheap, but I did so and it
> works great. It's just absolutely gorgeous. Everything just works as
> it's supposed to.
>
> Just get rid of Linux completely.

This is a bug report please keep discussion to the bug itself.

A bug resolution is NOT to switch OS. You, of course are free to do
whatever you want.
Please keep your opinions to your personal blog or elsewhere.

/m

Eric B (eric-broszeit) wrote :

For the most part, this has been fixed. Only a few applications are still
listed, and I would not be surprised if they are fixed as well. I don't use
them to check.
No reason to get upset and spend a grand or more on a certain expensive
hardwares and OSes.
On Jan 26, 2012 8:46 AM, "Martin Lindhe" <email address hidden> wrote:

> skabbedabbeda wrote 2012-01-26 14:01:
> >
> > My advice is to buy a Mac. I know they aren't cheap, but I did so and it
> > works great. It's just absolutely gorgeous. Everything just works as
> > it's supposed to.
> >
> > Just get rid of Linux completely.
>
> This is a bug report please keep discussion to the bug itself.
>
> A bug resolution is NOT to switch OS. You, of course are free to do
> whatever you want.
> Please keep your opinions to your personal blog or elsewhere.
>
> /m
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (264805).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/11334
>
> Title:
> MASTER Copy-Paste doesn't work if the source is closed before the
> paste
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/abiword/+bug/11334/+subscriptions
>

ScislaC (scislac) wrote :

"Install Windows or buy a Mac (or try to install Mac OS X on a regular PC). That's the only solution."

skabbedabbeda: Or one could install a clipboard manager... your "only" solution isn't really the only solution. I'm thankful you don't work high up in government with your jumping to "the only solution".

Dont feed the troll, please.

skabbedabbeda (skabtrebge) wrote :

3esmit (3esmit) wrote on 2012-01-26: #271
"We like linux, we believe in an open source future, where open source
is the best. We want all to be perfect, we dont want Mac."

I like beautiful girls. I believe in an open future, where open relationships are the best and I can have sex with every girl I see, without her boyfriend wanting to shoot me.

What do my perfect future and your perfect future have in common? They're both never going to happen. Open source has no future and open source will never be the best.

Eric B (eric-broszeit) wrote on 2012-01-26: #273
"For the most part, this has been fixed. Only a few applications are still
listed, and I would not be surprised if they are fixed as well. I don't use
them to check."

No, only a few applications actually do work. Most application don't work and will never work. Do you now how many applications are available in Ubuntu Software Centre? Install all of them, every single application and start testing all of them. Then there are applications which aren't even available in Ubuntu Software Centre. Start testing those applications too. A clipboard should work for EVERY application, not just a part of the applications which are installed by default.

That's why it shouldn't be fixed on a per-app basis, but it should be fixed in the core. That's how it works in other operating systems and that's how it belongs to work. In Mac OS X and Windows you can install every application you want and it doesn't matter where the application comes from, it just works, without the developer of the application having to think about implementing a clipboard. That's how it should work!

You can expect from all developers to implement a clipboard. That's why only a few application for Linux have the clipboard implemented. Just search for replies from a person called pyrates in this bug report. He knows what he's talking about. He's one the few who knows how it should be implemented and who's able to explain why the current implementation is so bad and completely wrong.

ScislaC (scislac) wrote 20 hours ago: #274
"Or one could install a clipboard manager... your "only" solution isn't really the only solution."

Clipboard managers don't work properly. They crash and don't support everything which can be copied (they only support text or text and files, but it should support everything: text, files, images, parts of an audio file, parts cut from a movie). Most of them aren't updated anymore. The developer started its project five years ago, never finished it. It's designed for a five years old Linux distribution and it haven't been updated ever since. No one is maintaing those clipboard managers, so you just can't rely on them.

An operating should have a proper working clipboard of its own. You just install the operating system and then install whatever application you like and it should just work, without the need of installing a clipboard manager, without the need to keep the source window open and without developers having to implement a clipboard in their applications. That's something you open source idiots just don't understand... correction: don't want to understand.

papukaija (papukaija) wrote :

To maintain a respectful atmosphere, please follow the code of conduct - http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct/ . Bug reports are handled by humans, the majority of whom are volunteers, so please bear this in mind. Thanks.

Download full text (4.4 KiB)

Hello,

I think that this is a very important comment, that should be taken in account by Linux/GNU developers to improve this wonderful Open Source System I've use at work for 5 years (five years) with no problem, after all copy-paste can be also a bad thing and I've worked happily for 5 years even if this bug seems very strange for a system that has given me much less headache than Microsoft Word. I've written two important documents longer than 30 pages with Microsoft Word and this "perfect" program that I paid with good money refused to print both after page 30, I've had to use open office for free and everything worked... I bought an external CD burner in 2000 in a Mac store for a iMac OS 8.6, it burned 1 CD then I got always errors... If you want to feed Microsoft and Mac you can, I will feed the penguin.

Best regards

> 3esmit (3esmit) wrote on 2012-01-26: #271
> "We like linux, we believe in an open source future, where open source
> is the best. We want all to be perfect, we dont want Mac."
>
> I like beautiful girls. I believe in an open future, where open
> relationships are the best and I can have sex with every girl I see,
> without her boyfriend wanting to shoot me.
>
> What do my perfect future and your perfect future have in common?
> They're both never going to happen. Open source has no future and open
> source will never be the best.
>
> Eric B (eric-broszeit) wrote on 2012-01-26: #273
> "For the most part, this has been fixed. Only a few applications are still
> listed, and I would not be surprised if they are fixed as well. I don't use
> them to check."
>
> No, only a few applications actually do work. Most application don't
> work and will never work. Do you now how many applications are available
> in Ubuntu Software Centre? Install all of them, every single application
> and start testing all of them. Then there are applications which aren't
> even available in Ubuntu Software Centre. Start testing those
> applications too. A clipboard should work for EVERY application, not
> just a part of the applications which are installed by default.
>
> That's why it shouldn't be fixed on a per-app basis, but it should be
> fixed in the core. That's how it works in other operating systems and
> that's how it belongs to work. In Mac OS X and Windows you can install
> every application you want and it doesn't matter where the application
> comes from, it just works, without the developer of the application
> having to think about implementing a clipboard. That's how it should
> work!
>
> You can expect from all developers to implement a clipboard. That's why
> only a few application for Linux have the clipboard implemented. Just
> search for replies from a person called pyrates in this bug report. He
> knows what he's talking about. He's one the few who knows how it should
> be implemented and who's able to explain why the current implementation
> is so bad and completely wrong.
>
> ScislaC (scislac) wrote 20 hours ago: #274
> "Or one could install a clipboard manager... your "only" solution isn't really the only solution."
>
> Clipboard managers don't work properly. They crash and don't support
> everything which can ...

Read more...

Changed in gnucash:
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
komputes (komputes) on 2012-03-20
tags: added: css-sponsored-p
12 comments hidden view all 300 comments

Problem description: After copying some text, the application was exited by the user before opening another application to paste to. The content was no longer in the clipboard after closing lowriter.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Select and copy some text in LibreOffice Writer.
2. Close Writer as well as any other instances of LO.
3. Open any text editor and try to paste the content.

Expected Outcome: The text should paste and become visible.
Actual Outcome: Nothing happens & the "Paste" option in the menu may show the applications default appearance for no content, if any.

Platform (if different from the browser):
Ubuntu 12.04

Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0

11 comments hidden view all 300 comments

Also affects kcharselect (on Ubuntu Precise, running under KDE).

I tried it on some more programs. It affected every KDE program I tried, including: kcolorchooser (copying from a text box), kwrite, konqueror, kcalc, okular.

I tried some non-KDE Qt programs, all of which were also affected: vlc, anki, qsynth, qtoctave.

This makes me suspect it's a KDE and Qt problem, rather than a problem with these specific apps. I have therefore added KDE core and Qt to the list of affected projects.

Also, GTK 2 programs: leafpad, synaptic
GTK 3: I am still seeing this with gedit, even though it's supposed to be fixed.

description: updated
11 comments hidden view all 300 comments

Hello Jarlath, *,
I can confirm your observation with LO Version 3.6.2.2 (Build ID: da8c1e6) under Debian Testing x86 (but seem to remember to have this same behaviour observed on my PC with Debian Testing AMD64), but I am not sure, if it is a bug from LO and/or from the clipboard. I seem to remember, that it happened to me, when copying from other applications to the clipboard (say from firefox to konsole) in the past as well. So maybe it works "as expected" (by the developers, it means ... ;) ).

Just out of interest: Are you using the default WM/DE GNOME? And have you tested it with another one (like XFCE, KDE or the like)?
HTH
Thomas.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. I can currently reproduce this on the Ubuntu
12.04 Unity desktop which I believe uses Gnome as it's backend. I
haven't tried this on any other linux environments. I did try the same
experiment with (copying from and closing) Firefox and (pasting to)
Gedit, it worked correctly in this case.

However on MacOS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) this issue is not reproducible.
The clipboard contents are preserved on exit.

By the way, were you using KDE to reproduce this?

On 09/29/2012 11:45 PM, <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> *Comment # 1 <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48783#c1>
> on bug 48783 <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48783> from
> <email address hidden> <mailto:<email address hidden>> *
> Hello Jarlath, *,
> I can confirm your observation with LO Version 3.6.2.2 (Build ID: da8c1e6)
> under Debian Testing x86 (but seem to remember to have this same behaviour
> observed on my PC with Debian Testing AMD64), but I am not sure, if it is a bug
> from LO and/or from the clipboard. I seem to remember, that it happened to me,
> when copying from other applications to the clipboard (say from firefox to
> konsole) in the past as well. So maybe it works "as expected" (by the
> developers, it means ... ;) ).
>
> Just out of interest: Are you using the default WM/DE GNOME? And have you
> tested it with another one (like XFCE, KDE or the like)?
> HTH
> Thomas.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> You are receiving this mail because:
>
> * You reported the bug.
>

Bjoern - your wiki link fails for me.

The X clipboard system relies on the app owning the selection to provide the data; if you close the app - that app isn't there; so it will fail.

There are various (varyingly expensive) hacks around this out there in various desktops; that try to serialise the clipboard at various points - I guess this could be done before exit.

Problems abound: eg. select 2^36 cells in a sheet, hit copy, exit LibreOffice - what happens ? ;-> but - that's always the way with big sheets I guess.

Are you certain this is an unexpected bug ? :-)

ups, copy paste fumble:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClipboardPersistence

As for unexpectedness:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/983449/comments/8
so yes, I think this is expected -- esp. since more and more other apps are using the workaroud, we start to stick out. From a UX perspective it is likey better to have all apps use one of the workarounds -- or none.

8 comments hidden view all 300 comments
Tralalalala (tralalalala) wrote :

This bug doesn't affect me anymore. I stopped using this crappy open source shit and I've bought a Mac which just works. Problem solved.

description: updated
antistress (antistress) wrote :

see also

----- Not fixed : ------
LibreOffice : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/983449

Hi!

I'd like to fix this bug but could someone point to me which package to work on? Atleast hint me on how to search for that package name.

Thanking you

Regards
Shashank

Changed in epiphany:
status: New → Invalid
pyrates (pyrates18) wrote :

may I ask why epiphany is now invalid for this bug? It's a web browser, but it doesn't need copy and paste working properly?

6 comments hidden view all 300 comments

Dear Bug Submitter,

This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least 6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INVALID due to lack of needed information.

For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the wiki located here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/FDO/NEEDINFO

If you have already provided the requested information, please mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the bug is ready to be confirmed.

Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!

Warm Regards,
QA Team

I'm not sure why the NEEDINFO status is set, I have answered any questions asked. Unless you want me to write the patch :)

Please let me know what I can provide. Thanks & regards.

On 24 Sep 2013, at 02:59, <email address hidden> wrote:

>
> Comment # 6 on bug 48783 from QA Administrators
> Dear Bug Submitter,
>
> This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least 6 months.
> Please provide the requested information as soon as possible and mark the bug
> as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in
> NEEDINFO status with no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as
> INVALID due to lack of needed information.
>
> For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the wiki located
> here:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/FDO/NEEDINFO
>
> If you have already provided the requested information, please mark the bug as
> UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the bug is ready to be confirmed.
>
>
> Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
>
>
> Warm Regards,
> QA Team
>
> You are receiving this mail because:
> You reported the bug.

Marking back to NEW unless there is a non-robo discussion/discourse to address.

description: updated
Changed in df-libreoffice:
importance: Unknown → Medium
status: Unknown → Confirmed
description: updated
Displaying first 40 and last 40 comments. View all 300 comments or add a comment.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Related questions

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.