The zoom tool does not work

Bug #1464855 reported by Luis
118
This bug affects 19 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Pinta
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Pinta 1.6 on Windows 7 64 bit.
Gt# for .NET 2.12.26

The zoom tool does not work in any way . Well, the only way is putting manually the value in the value box (without the % symbol)

Revision history for this message
Cameron White (cameronwhite91) wrote :

Are you talking about the Zoom tool in the tools palette, or the zoom options in the toolbar?
Do the +/- magnifying glass buttons do anything?

Changed in pinta:
status: New → Incomplete
Revision history for this message
Luis (garridoperez2) wrote :

In all cases. Tools palette, drop down menu and toolbar. Not even crtl + - or crtl + -, they do not work. The only way to zoom the image is putting manually the value in the value box but without the % symbol. Tested on two different computers.

Revision history for this message
Sergio (sergiogmv2702) wrote :

I can confirm that this issue is also present on Arch Linux, 64 bit. Pinta 1.6

Revision history for this message
grofaty (grofaty) wrote :

Hi,
I have also noticed some problems with zoom using Pinta 1.6 on Ubuntu 14.04, but the problems were not exactly the same.
I figure it out that my problem at list reported in bug 1531593 was fixed by installing latest development build.

Do the following:
1. Visit the Pinta's development build site: http://pinta-project.com/builds
2. Download and install Pinta development version. If using Windows: download "Windows" version with the largest version number currently 1.7.0.218 and install.
If using Linux:
a) Create directory where file is going to be download like: mkdir pinta
b) Change directory to created directory in step 1. cd pinta
c) Download zip file into step 1 created directory.
d) Unzip file with command: unzip <pinta-zip-file.zip>
e) Run Pinta with command: mono Pinta.exe
Note: On Linux this does not install's Pinta, just runs it from within directory. If you want to get rid of it just delete "pinta" directory created in step 1.

It would be nice if you both (Luis and Sergio) could test on Windows7 / Arch Linux and report back if this problem is solved in Pinta's development version.

By the way it looks like Pinta development version is pretty stable, at least such a stable as official 1.6 is.

P.S. I am changing bug status from "Incomplete" to "Confirmed", because this is official status if problem is confirmed by at least one additional user.

Changed in pinta:
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
Revision history for this message
Luis (garridoperez2) wrote :

I installed the 1.7.0.218 version but there is still the same bug.

Revision history for this message
Laurent Chabot (chabotlaurent) wrote :

Exact same bug on an up-to-date Linux Mint 18 (Pinta 1.6) :-(

Revision history for this message
jmunin (jmunin) wrote :

Exact same bug on an up-to-date Manjaro Linux (Pinta 1.6.2). The solution commented in post number #2 works.

Revision history for this message
Daniel Serpell (daniel-serpell) wrote :

It is related to the language support.

In Linux, ff I load it as: "LANG=C pinta", it works, but with "LANG=es_CL.UTF-8 pinta" it does not.

Revision history for this message
baltasarq (baltasarq) wrote :

Same here with fully updated Manjaro Linux x64, Pinta 1.6, Gtk# 2.12.42, mono 5.0.
I've confirmed that I can change the number for the zoom level and the zoom actually works in that case, but not with the buttons, drop-down menu or ctrl+-, ctrl++ or ctrl+mouse-wheel.
I've also confirmed that with lauching with "LANG=C pinta" from the command line, it works perfectly (?).

Revision history for this message
Eduardo Trápani (eduardo-esperanto) wrote :

baltasarq, thanks to your comment I found the problem. I started with other locale, Esperanto and zoom worked. So I investigated further and found an illegal character in the Spanish translation.

A quick and dirty fix (I'm on Debian, but it should work for Ubuntu too):

$ sudo bash
# msgunfmt /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/pinta.mo | sed 's/{0}.%/{0} %/g' | msgfmt -o /tmp/pinta.mo - && mv /tmp/pinta.mo /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/pinta.mo
# exit
$

You might have to do a "sudo apt-get install gettext" before.

What this does is: it uncompiles the Spanish translation, removes the offending character, compiles the translation again and then moves it to the right location.

I also made a pull request to fix it in the source code: https://github.com/PintaProject/Pinta/pull/128

Revision history for this message
yosi_666 (alonso-juste) wrote :

It seems to be a problem with the locale (in my case Spanish). Changing to the English one fixes the issue. You can start pinta in English with:
LC_MESSAGES="en_EN.utf-8" pinta

Revision history for this message
LogoS (loguitos) wrote :

Same thing in windows. It seems to be a problem with the pinta.mo file in the locale/es/LC_MESSAGES folder. Generate a new one (with PoEdit or any online tool) from .po file in source should solve the problem. Maybe include a new generated pinta.mo file in the next release?

Revision history for this message
Cameron White (cameronwhite91) wrote :
Changed in pinta:
milestone: none → 1.7
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
grofaty (grofaty)
Changed in pinta:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
Lool-lauris (lool-lauris) wrote :

Hi,
I have upgaded Pinta from version 1.6 to 1.7 but the zoom problem is still remaining.
And now there is also a freeze when the window's close is pressed ; the program must be forced to be closed.

Revision history for this message
Cameron White (cameronwhite91) wrote :

Which language is your system set to? The zoom issues were related to the system language

For the freeze, please try installing the latest version of Mono (6.10) from https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/#download-lin if your system has an earlier version such as 6.8 (check `mono --version` in a terminal)

Revision history for this message
Ruben Iglesias (iglesias-ru) wrote : Re: [Bug 1464855] Re: The zoom tool does not work

Hi, I'm using 'Spanish (Argentina)' as 1st and 'English' as 2nd, with MATE
1.12.1 desktop on Ubuntu 16.04
Thanks

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 4:44 PM Cameron White <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Which language is your system set to? The zoom issues were related to
> the system language
>
> For the freeze, please try installing the latest version of Mono (6.10)
> from https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/#download-lin if your
> system has an earlier version such as 6.8 (check `mono --version` in a
> terminal)
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1871399).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1464855
>
> Title:
> The zoom tool does not work
>
> Status in Pinta:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Pinta 1.6 on Windows 7 64 bit.
> Gt# for .NET 2.12.26
>
> The zoom tool does not work in any way . Well, the only way is putting
> manually the value in the value box (without the % symbol)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/pinta/+bug/1464855/+subscriptions
>

Revision history for this message
Alejandro Castrejon (castrejon-alejandro) wrote :

I resolve or skip that problem changing the language from Spanish to
English in the configuration file settings.

I hope that helps you.

Best regards from Mexico to Argentina

El dom., 6 de septiembre de 2020 15:19, Ruben Iglesias <
<email address hidden>> escribió:

> Hi, I'm using 'Spanish (Argentina)' as 1st and 'English' as 2nd, with MATE
> 1.12.1 desktop on Ubuntu 16.04
> Thanks
>
> On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 4:44 PM Cameron White <email address hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > Which language is your system set to? The zoom issues were related to
> > the system language
> >
> > For the freeze, please try installing the latest version of Mono (6.10)
> > from https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/#download-lin if your
> > system has an earlier version such as 6.8 (check `mono --version` in a
> > terminal)
> >
> > --
> > You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> > duplicate bug report (1871399).
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1464855
> >
> > Title:
> > The zoom tool does not work
> >
> > Status in Pinta:
> > Fix Released
> >
> > Bug description:
> > Pinta 1.6 on Windows 7 64 bit.
> > Gt# for .NET 2.12.26
> >
> > The zoom tool does not work in any way . Well, the only way is putting
> > manually the value in the value box (without the % symbol)
> >
> > To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/pinta/+bug/1464855/+subscriptions
> >
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1632296).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1464855
>
> Title:
> The zoom tool does not work
>
> Status in Pinta:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Pinta 1.6 on Windows 7 64 bit.
> Gt# for .NET 2.12.26
>
> The zoom tool does not work in any way . Well, the only way is putting
> manually the value in the value box (without the % symbol)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/pinta/+bug/1464855/+subscriptions
>

Revision history for this message
Cameron White (cameronwhite91) wrote :

Can anyone confirm that the issue is still occurring in version 1.7 (related to comment #14). I haven't been able to reproduce it myself in version 1.7 with Spanish enabled.

Revision history for this message
Lool-lauris (lool-lauris) wrote :

Hi,

The Language of the sytem is in French (otherwise there is no way to set
any language).

And the version of mono in my system is :

lool@lool-W510:~$ mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 6.8.0.105 (Debian 6.8.0.105+dfsg-2 Wed Feb 26
23:23:50 UTC 2020)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors.
www.mono-project.com
     TLS:           __thread
     SIGSEGV:       altstack
     Notifications: epoll
     Architecture:  amd64
     Disabled:      none
     Misc:          softdebug
     Interpreter:   yes
     LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
     Suspend:       hybrid
     GC:            sgen (concurrent by default)
lool@lool-W510:~$

Le 06/09/2020 à 21:34, Cameron White a écrit :
> Which language is your system set to? The zoom issues were related to
> the system language
>
> For the freeze, please try installing the latest version of Mono (6.10)
> from https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/#download-lin if your
> system has an earlier version such as 6.8 (check `mono --version` in a
> terminal)
>

Revision history for this message
Lool-lauris (lool-lauris) wrote :

In addition of my comment #14, I specify that the language of the system is in French (by the way, there is no possibility to change the language in Pinta).

About the freeze, it seems to be solved by itself, for the moment it did not appaer anymore. I've checked the version of mono, it is :
Mono JIT compiler version 6.8.0.105 (Debian 6.8.0.105+dfsg-2 Wed Feb 26 23:23:50 UTC 2020)

Revision history for this message
Cameron White (cameronwhite91) wrote :

I just tested on Linux Mint with Pinta 1.7 (from the stable builds PPA), and when running 'env LANGUAGE=fr pinta' (to enable the French translations) the zoom options still work as expected.

Does it work if you change the language to another (e.g. 'en')?

Revision history for this message
Lool-lauris (lool-lauris) wrote :

Hi,

If the system's language is changed in "english", the zoom works
properly. So the bug seems to affect only the French language.

Le 09/09/2020 à 02:19, Cameron White a écrit :
> I just tested on Linux Mint with Pinta 1.7 (from the stable builds PPA),
> and when running 'env LANGUAGE=fr pinta' (to enable the French
> translations) the zoom options still work as expected.
>
> Does it work if you change the language to another (e.g. 'en')?
>

Revision history for this message
Cameron White (cameronwhite91) wrote :

I've made some changes to hopefully fix this issue (https://github.com/PintaProject/Pinta/commit/57e376999937b071f277b7942790669930814dff) - I could repro issues after changing to the French locale using `LANG=fr` rather than just setting the LANGUAGE environment variable.

Could you give this change a test? You could either install the daily build from https://code.launchpad.net/~pinta-maintainers/+recipe/pinta-daily or download the build from https://github.com/PintaProject/Pinta/commit/57e376999937b071f277b7942790669930814dff (requires a Github login to download)

Revision history for this message
Lool-lauris (lool-lauris) wrote :

Thank you for your follow up.
The link (
https://code.launchpad.net/~pinta-maintainers/+recipe/pinta-daily ) is
not completed, this page does not exist.

I followed this other link (
https://github.com/PintaProject/Pinta/commit/57e376999937b071f277b7942790669930814dff
) but I don't know what to do with it !?
Could you give some explanations ?
Thank you very much.

Le 15/09/2020 à 00:39, Cameron White a écrit :
> I've made some changes to hopefully fix this issue
> (https://github.com/PintaProject/Pinta/commit/57e376999937b071f277b7942790669930814dff)
> - I could repro issues after changing to the French locale using
> `LANG=fr` rather than just setting the LANGUAGE environment variable.
>
> Could you give this change a test? You could either install the daily
> build from https://code.launchpad.net/~pinta-maintainers/+recipe/pinta-
> daily or download the build from
> https://github.com/PintaProject/Pinta/commit/57e376999937b071f277b7942790669930814dff
> (requires a Github login to download)
>

Revision history for this message
Cameron White (cameronwhite91) wrote :

Sorry, the link should have been https://launchpad.net/~pinta-maintainers/+archive/ubuntu/pinta-daily. That page has instructions for adding the daily builds PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pinta-maintainers/pinta-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install pinta

Revision history for this message
Lool-lauris (lool-lauris) wrote :

Thank you for your follow up.
So I installed the ppa:daily. Now the zoom seems to work but the
software crashes as soon as you select a tool (the rectangle tool for
example). The crash results in a violent output.

Le 30/09/2020 à 22:35, Cameron White a écrit :
> Sorry, the link should have been https://launchpad.net/~pinta-
> maintainers/+archive/ubuntu/pinta-daily. That page has instructions for
> adding the daily builds PPA:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pinta-maintainers/pinta-daily
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt install pinta
>

Revision history for this message
Cameron White (cameronwhite91) wrote :

Thanks for testing - could you perhaps submit a separate bug with the crash you're encountering?

Revision history for this message
Stéphane (stephane-treboux) wrote :

Hello folks,

This bug was marked as "fix released" on on 2020-08-05 with Pinta 1.7 which should solve this issue.
At the same time:
- Ubuntu ships with the same older Pinta package version 1.6-2 in all releases (see https://packages.ubuntu.com/pinta)
- the bug described here is reproducible on my setup (Kubuntu 21.04)

So if my understanding is correct the status should be "confirmed", not "fix released" (see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Bug%20statuses).
Can someone with sufficient permissions reopen this bug in order to have it addressed?

Revision history for this message
Cameron White (cameronwhite91) wrote :

This bug is for Pinta itself (upstream), so it is correct that a fix has been released. I believe you can file a bug separately against Ubuntu's package of Pinta, which indeed should probably be updated to 1.7

Revision history for this message
Cameron White (cameronwhite91) wrote :

This should have been marked "Fix Committed" for Pinta 1.8, since https://github.com/PintaProject/Pinta/commit/57e376999937b071f277b7942790669930814dff was after the 1.7 release.

The fix is available for testing in the daily builds PPA (https://launchpad.net/~pinta-maintainers/+archive/ubuntu/pinta-daily)

Changed in pinta:
milestone: 1.7 → 1.8
status: Fix Released → Fix Committed
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers