dxf save for autocad does not translate correctly

Bug #600473 reported by Brian Pahl on 2010-07-01
54
This bug affects 8 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Inkscape
Undecided
Alvin Penner

Bug Description

I am using the windows xp, and have installed inkscape version .46, .47, and the newest relaese, and have had same issue.

Whenever I creat something in inkscape, it will not translate or display correctly in autocad when it is saved as a dxf. It will bring in all appropriate objects, but any translations done to text will not display correctly.

For example, if I create a circle and place text onto that circle, then do a free transformation such as move or rotate, it will not show up like this in autocad. It will display the text as it eas before the transformation.

Also, if I try to save the file in inkscape as it is still open in autocad, it will come up with an error, and after that the file will no longer open with inkscape, and sometimes even with autocad.

I am using autcad 2004.

I also saw a post on the net form someone that had 4 files to install into the share/extensions folder that created better dxf files for autocad, but still similar issues.

I fix for this would be greatly utilized.

-Brian

DavidTalmage (david-junk-mail) wrote :

bug 60472 seems like same bug

>I also saw a post on the net form someone that had 4 files to install into the share/extensions folder >that created better dxf files for autocad, but still similar issues

can you post a link to the files you found so I can look at them?

su_v (suv-lp) on 2010-07-01
tags: added: dxf exporting
Alvin Penner (apenner) wrote :

sounds similar to Bug 585021.
could you try this procedure:
- Edit->Select All
and then use :
- Path->Object to Path
- then, with all objects selected, force a bit of a translation by selecting the entire group and hitting the up arrow once. If all goes well this should remove the transform elements from the diagram. If this does not work, could you attach the .svg file?

I attempted the select all and save, and still no luck. I also tried grouping objects with same results.

Attached is the dxf and svg files.

-Brian

> Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 21:47:16 +0000
> From: <email address hidden>
> To: <email address hidden>
> Subject: [Bug 600473] Re: dxf save for autocad does not translate correctly
>
> sounds similar to Bug 585021.
> could you try this procedure:
> - Edit->Select All
> and then use :
> - Path->Object to Path
> - then, with all objects selected, force a bit of a translation by selecting the entire group and hitting the up arrow once. If all goes well this should remove the transform elements from the diagram. If this does not work, could you attach the .svg file?
>
> --
> dxf save for autocad does not translate correctly
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/600473
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool: New
>
> Bug description:
> I am using the windows xp, and have installed inkscape version .46, .47, and the newest relaese, and have had same issue.
>
> Whenever I creat something in inkscape, it will not translate or display correctly in autocad when it is saved as a dxf. It will bring in all appropriate objects, but any translations done to text will not display correctly.
>
> For example, if I create a circle and place text onto that circle, then do a free transformation such as move or rotate, it will not show up like this in autocad. It will display the text as it eas before the transformation.
>
> Also, if I try to save the file in inkscape as it is still open in autocad, it will come up with an error, and after that the file will no longer open with inkscape, and sometimes even with autocad.
>
> I am using autcad 2004.
>
> I also saw a post on the net form someone that had 4 files to install into the share/extensions folder that created better dxf files for autocad, but still similar issues.
>
> I fix for this would be greatly utilized.
>
> -Brian
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/600473/+subscribe

_________________________________________________________________
Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_1

Brian Pahl (dscsuperf) wrote :

I found a few different links to similar files. They were listed as .46 version files. I am using .47 versoin of inkscape, and these did not work properly. I also ttried installing .46 with similar results. Not sure if they could be tweeked, or the original files could be tweaked to better the dxf. output.

http://mydxf.blogspot.com/2008/11/inkscape-r12-dxf.html

http://www.bobcookdev.com/inkscape/inkscape-dxf.html

I also attached an example of the dxf file and the svg file problem I am experiencing.

-Brian

> Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 16:37:29 +0000
> From: <email address hidden>
> To: <email address hidden>
> Subject: [Bug 600473] Re: dxf save for autocad does not translate correctly
>
> bug 60472 seems like same bug
>
> >I also saw a post on the net form someone that had 4 files to install
> into the share/extensions folder >that created better dxf files for
> autocad, but still similar issues
>
> can you post a link to the files you found so I can look at them?
>
> --
> dxf save for autocad does not translate correctly
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/600473
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool: New
>
> Bug description:
> I am using the windows xp, and have installed inkscape version .46, .47, and the newest relaese, and have had same issue.
>
> Whenever I creat something in inkscape, it will not translate or display correctly in autocad when it is saved as a dxf. It will bring in all appropriate objects, but any translations done to text will not display correctly.
>
> For example, if I create a circle and place text onto that circle, then do a free transformation such as move or rotate, it will not show up like this in autocad. It will display the text as it eas before the transformation.
>
> Also, if I try to save the file in inkscape as it is still open in autocad, it will come up with an error, and after that the file will no longer open with inkscape, and sometimes even with autocad.
>
> I am using autcad 2004.
>
> I also saw a post on the net form someone that had 4 files to install into the share/extensions folder that created better dxf files for autocad, but still similar issues.
>
> I fix for this would be greatly utilized.
>
> -Brian
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/600473/+subscribe

_________________________________________________________________
Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_1

Alvin Penner (apenner) wrote :

confirmed, the method outlined in comment 2 does not work in this case. It appears that the problem is that the transform has been applied to an entire group, not just individual objects, and it is a rotation not a translation.
    As a work around I used the following method:
- Edit->Select All
- Object->Ungroup
- export to dxf
this led to the attached result, which appears to be correct.
- over the next month or so I will look at the code to see if it is feasible to automatically take into account the effects of the transform element.

Changed in inkscape:
status: New → Confirmed
Alvin Penner (apenner) wrote :

attached is a new version of the file dxf_outlines.py, which takes into account the effects of the transform element. In order to use it, you will need to copy it into the directory Inkscape\share\extensions

could you try this and see if it helps?

Brian Pahl (dscsuperf) wrote :

It seems to be working much better. Thank you very much for your time.

> Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:58:13 +0000
> From: <email address hidden>
> To: <email address hidden>
> Subject: [Bug 600473] Re: dxf save for autocad does not translate correctly
>
> attached is a new version of the file dxf_outlines.py, which takes into
> account the effects of the transform element. In order to use it, you
> will need to copy it into the directory Inkscape\share\extensions
>
> could you try this and see if it helps?
>
>
> ** Attachment added: "dxf_outlines.py"
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/52121018/dxf_outlines.py
>
> --
> dxf save for autocad does not translate correctly
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/600473
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Tool: Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> I am using the windows xp, and have installed inkscape version .46, .47, and the newest relaese, and have had same issue.
>
> Whenever I creat something in inkscape, it will not translate or display correctly in autocad when it is saved as a dxf. It will bring in all appropriate objects, but any translations done to text will not display correctly.
>
> For example, if I create a circle and place text onto that circle, then do a free transformation such as move or rotate, it will not show up like this in autocad. It will display the text as it eas before the transformation.
>
> Also, if I try to save the file in inkscape as it is still open in autocad, it will come up with an error, and after that the file will no longer open with inkscape, and sometimes even with autocad.
>
> I am using autcad 2004.
>
> I also saw a post on the net form someone that had 4 files to install into the share/extensions folder that created better dxf files for autocad, but still similar issues.
>
> I fix for this would be greatly utilized.
>
> -Brian
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/600473/+subscribe

_________________________________________________________________
Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_1

Alvin Penner (apenner) on 2010-07-22
Changed in inkscape:
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
su_v (suv-lp) wrote :

@Alvin - could you check with these related reports which ones can be closed as well (or maybe linked as duplicates for easier bug management)?

Bug #606071 “DXF Converson distorts image created in SVG”:
Bug #585021 “save as .dxf does not handle transformations”
Bug #487648 “Problem with DXF save files”

(possibly all duplicates of bug #487648? - which is probably not strictly 'Invalid' with regard to user expectations, or layer transforms which are not accessible from within the normal GUI)

and:

Bug #600472 “file saves with file types that are written in python have missing object or misplaced objects (dxf and hpgl)” - AFAIU at least part of the reported issue is solved with your just committed changes to 'dxf_outlines.py'.

su_v (suv-lp) on 2010-07-22
Changed in inkscape:
assignee: nobody → Alvin Penner (apenner)
su_v (suv-lp) wrote :

@Alvin - would you consider it save backporting the DXF export fix for transformations to the 0.48.x branch so that the latest improvements get released with 0.48.1?

The changes are in revision 9640 (transformations, bug #600473).

su_v (suv-lp) wrote :

backported to inkscape 0.48.x in r9721

Changed in inkscape:
milestone: none → 0.48.1
jazzynico (jazzynico) on 2011-03-05
Changed in inkscape:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers