kompozer crashes in intrepid when opening the recent files menu

Bug #263441 reported by dano on 2008-08-31
346
This bug affects 35 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Baltix
Undecided
Unassigned
kompozer (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Nominated for Intrepid by Giuseppe Iuculano
Nominated for Jaunty by Savvas Radevic

Bug Description

Binary package hint: kompozer

1. Make sure there is at least one entry in the recent file list so that the menu is not disabled
2. open the recent files menu (with the mouse)
3. *crash*
on intrepid ibex 8.10

dano (danoex) on 2008-08-31
description: updated

I can reproduce with bug.

Daniel Stoyanov (dankh) wrote :

Randomly kompozer craches with "Segmentation fault (core dumped)". I can't identify the source of the crashes it's random when I edit different html files.

Tony Yarusso (tonyyarusso) wrote :

I also was able to reproduce the image insertion behavior, with the following terminal output:
pure virtual method called
terminate called without an active exception
Aborted (core dumped)

and reproduced the "Recent Files" crash with just:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

No idea what the cause may be at this time, as the kompozer package itself hasn't changed in Intrepid. Looking into dependancy possibilities.

Changed in kompozer:
status: New → Confirmed
Tony Yarusso (tonyyarusso) wrote :

Note useful debugging info regarding the "Recent files" (and all submenus, apparently) aspect on duplicate bug #283400.

Did you guys see the bunch of warnings that the code generates while it is compiled?

There is a looot of things to fix here. Fixing the bugs would be a good first step. I just compiled it under my Debian unstable box (sorry, no Ubuntu on this box) and I see many warnings with gcc 4.3 (the default in unstable).

Also, there are many lintian warnings that should get addressed. I can provide a list of those, if desired.

Regards, Rogério Brito.

The lintian list could be handy (otherwise I'll just have to make it
myself - why duplicate the effort?). The package passed lintian at
last modification, but hasn't been thoroughly checked on current
versions, just auto-synced.

Changed in kompozer:
assignee: nobody → giocaldo

Similar issues with Kompozer 7.10 in Ibex. Example: always crashes when opened and then Format, Font is accessed with segmentation fault.

wvengen (wvengen) wrote :

Compiled it on Intrepid with debugging info (note that I had to add #include <sys/param.h> to the top of toolkit/xre/nsAppRunner.h because of the bug mentioned in https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=44830 ). A gdb session of the recent files problem is attached. Note that it only happens when the mouse hovers over the recent files menu item; if it is selected by keyboard only, the program behaves correctly.
It appears to be a null pointer reference.

wvengen (wvengen) wrote :

I opened a new bug for the image insertion crash in bug #290818. Let's use this bug for the menu problem.

description: updated
Bruce Crowther (bwucie) wrote :

Have just finished a new install of Intrepid: the crash behaviour is even more instant than it has been in any of the Alphas or the Beta.
However, the Win32 version runs fine in Wine, which saves me having to reboot into WinDoze whenever I want to use Kompozer.
It seems bizarre, though, that an app which started its life bred for Linux needs Wine to be usable in Intrepid.

confirmed as crash where you choose Recent Pages or a link in your HTML Pages (double clik on a link in your HTML Page, select the repository icon, choose a file name and when crash)
console only reports segmentation fault

gekid83 (rufforaffa) wrote :

the same for me... 8.10...

this is the error on terminal: Segmentation fault

gekid83 (rufforaffa) wrote :

PS: intrepid 8.10 with Kompozer 0.7.10

Silent Ninja (kuteninja) wrote :

Confirmed, it crashes when you open it and go to any "sub-menu" form the menu.
Let's say, you go to views, then Show/Hide, or Zoom or anyone of them, anda tadá, segfault.
One of them is Recently Viewed, but it happens on everyone of those.

I've installed it from synaptec (universe) so there's not any mistake on the install.

Me too, it started crashing after my update to 8.10.

But I have a bit of info so that it remains usable pending a fix: the crash does not occur when accessing the menus through keyboard shortcuts, only with the mouse.

oombas (oombas) wrote :

Thanks for this workaround, it works!
8.10 and 0.7.10
Apparently a bit too fast, this release.
Looks like beta.

waffen (mlacunza) wrote :

I have this error:

mario@mario-laptop:~/Downloads/Programas$ kompozer
pure virtual method called
terminate called without an active exception
Aborted

With all the actions before decribe by the other users...

houstonbofh (leesharp) wrote :

Me too, on a fresh Intrepid with a brand new repo install of Kompozer. All sub menus crash out, but keyboard navigation is stable. There was also a random crash that started this odyssey. :) I can't remember what caused it.

Kazé (kaze) wrote :

I confirm this bug.
I'm not sure at all, but I suspect Gecko 1.7 (upon which KompoZer is built) is not compatible with GTK 2.14.
I've started to port KompoZer on a newer code base (Gecko 1.8.1), and this bug does not appear any more on Intrepid.

I'm afraid I don't have much time at the moment, neither to migrate to Intrepid (still using Hardy and very happy with it) nor to find out what has changed between gecko 1.7 and 1.8 that could have an effect with GTK 2.14. Maybe the guys at #ubuntu-mozillateam would have an idea?

Sorry for the trouble.
-Kaze (KompoZer's lead dev)

philinux (philcb) wrote :

Did an strace kompozer. It crashes when any submenu is accessed.
File attached.

Eduardo Besembel (besembel) wrote :

I confirm whit intrepid an open menu table.

Frido Otten (fridi) wrote :

Kompozer crashes on Intrepid by several mouseclick triggered actions. When I use my keyboard to navigate through kompozer, it works fine. I hope this helps in finding what's wrong.

Bernard Decock (decockbernard) wrote :

I can confirm this bug too. Kompozer crashes whenever I try to click in the entry Recent Pages and sometimes when moving around with the mousecursor. (Tested in Ubuntu8.10 (2 pc's) & Kubuntu8.10 (1 pc)). Kompozer was running stable in 8.04.

Tony Yarusso (tonyyarusso) wrote :

Re-confirming for myself on a fresh 8.10 install.

Kazé (kaze) wrote :

I've done ~50% of the job (i.e. porting KompoZer to Gecko 1.8.1).

You can grab pre-alpha builds in this directory: http://kompozer.net/zip/ (i.e. the 'kompozer-YYYYMMDD.tar.gz files).
Some features haven't been re-implemented yet (e.g. source tab, templates, spell checker).

Please don't report any bug on these snapshots yet, *except* if you find a way to crash KompoZer with these snapshots. KompoZer's test team couldn't crash these snapshots so far, so I believe the upcoming version should be pretty stable.

I'm doing my best to release a public version before the end of this year.
Tony > is there a procedure to replace KompoZer 0.7.10 with KompoZer 0.8 in Intrepid?

Tony Yarusso (tonyyarusso) wrote :

@Kazé: There is a procedure for getting 0.8 in Jaunty (9.04). All that is required is that I need to have a final copy of 0.8 in hand early enough to successfully build a package that compiles, runs, AND is up to the various standards for inclusion by a hard deadline of February 19th. Getting 0.8 complete by the new year should be great. There exists a procedure for updating packages in Intrepid, but I am 99% certain kompozer would not qualify for that. I can however easily publish a build for Intrepid in my PPA and advertise it through various channels such that those who need to use it on 8.10 can do so easily.

Tim Johnson (tim-pteq) wrote :

Kaze: Apologies for the ignorance, but I had the same bug and downloaded the 20081126.tar.gz
Running kompozer from the extracted directory seemed FAR more stable but did freeze after approximately 20 minutes (compared to 1 minute previously).
Where should I install the files to match your setup?

Kazé (kaze) wrote :

Tim: you can’t match my setup because I’m running KompoZer from its build directory, but you can extract the files of the *.tar.gz archive wherever you want, it shouldn’t have any impact. I’d suggest ~/Documents for example.

When you say KompoZer-20081126 “freezed” after 20 minutes, did you mean that it freezed (non-responding user interface) or that it crashed (segmentation fault, KompoZer closes, like the 0.7.10 version)? Freezes can happen at this state of the development (especially when working on remote files), but crashes shouldn’t.

If you could give me a way to reproduce this bug, it’d help a lot.

Hi Kaze,

It did not crash like 0.7.10. It stopped responding. I'm afraid I cant
tell you exactly what I was doing at the time, but it was not very
advanced. I am busy converting a Front Page site of mine
(www.pteq.net/tim) to Kompozer. I had saved the HTML from the site and
copied and pasted it into a new page in Kompozer. I was adjusting some
spacing and perhaps deleting some stuff when it stopped responding.

It is far more stable now and since that problem (I shut it down and
restatrted it) it has been behaving well.
I am a noob when it comes to Linux, HTML and web design, so I am afraid I
am not much help to you.

Thanks,

Tim

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 21:32:34 +0200, Kazé <email address hidden> wrote:

> Tim: you can’t match my setup because I’m running KompoZer from its
> build directory, but you can extract the files of the *.tar.gz archive
> wherever you want, it shouldn’t have any impact. I’d suggest
> ~/Documents for example.
>
> When you say KompoZer-20081126 “freezed” after 20 minutes, did you mean
> that it freezed (non-responding user interface) or that it crashed
> (segmentation fault, KompoZer closes, like the 0.7.10 version)? Freezes
> can happen at this state of the development (especially when working on
> remote files), but crashes shouldn’t.
>
> If you could give me a way to reproduce this bug, it’d help a lot.
>

--
Tim Johnson
Using Ubuntu 8.10 and Opera

Kazé (kaze) wrote :

Hi Tim,
thanks for your reply, I’m glad you confirm it doesn’t crash any more.
I’ll put a new build every week in the http://kompozer/zip/ directory.

Confirm what Benoit Germain says: i can navigate trough submenues with the keyboard.

In the debug (kompozer -g) I get this:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0xb72e1700 (LWP 7973)]
0xb5d2213c in ?? () from /usr/lib/kompozer/components/libgklayout.so

I also confirm that this happens when you open any submenu.

Shane Rice (shane2peru) wrote :

I too can confirm this is a bug! Would appreciate a fix as soon as possible. Thanks.

Shane

Daniel (danbar) wrote :

Is this a good solution?

http://kompozer.net/zip/

i can't answer, i went back on hardy
thanks

Le lundi 08 décembre 2008 à 18:34 +0000, Daniel a écrit :

> Is this a good solution?
>
> http://kompozer.net/zip/
>

I have used this solution for about a week now with no problems and no
crashes.

I'm using kompozer on Intrepid on a P4 with 1Gb RAM.

So, yes, it looks like a good fix.

Cheers

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 20:34:02 +0200, Daniel <email address hidden> wrote:

> Is this a good solution?
>
> http://kompozer.net/zip/
>

--
Tim Johnson
Using Ubuntu 8.10 and Opera

Daniel,

I'm looking for try that. There's some install instructions?

Maybe an .deb file?

I'm waiting your comments...

Daniel (danbar) wrote :

Myself i'm waiting for such a person because as you know it's not plain sailing when it comes to install deb files! I'll try to find help online and come back to you.

Toby (mail-mailmeonline) wrote :

It would be great, if you could tell me which file to install in ordner to check the fix. I could try to create a deb-file if I know which one is the one I should install.
Please let me know Daniel!

Bruce Crowther (bwucie) wrote :

Kompozer really doesn't need to be installed, it is such a neat application because everything it needs to run comes inside the zip/tar file.
Download kompozer-20081205.tar.gz, and put it somewhere you can find it. (In my case, i have a seperate Home partition, so I keep it there, then it doesn't have to be replaced if I change my version of Ubuntu.)
Right click on the tar file, and "Extract here". You will find a new folder called kompozer in the same directory. Inside the folder is the executable you are looking for, also called komposer. Double click that, and you are in business.
Now, you will need to go into your applications menu to add Kompozer there, but even simpler (I find) is to right click on the panel, select "Add to Panel" then "Custom Application Launcher", then click "add". In the Create Launcher Dialog, click browse, then navigate into your kompozer folder and double click on the icon for the executable. Then click add, and your launcher will be in the panel.
Then if you want the launcher to have the Kompozer icon, right click on the launcher, select "properties". Double click on the launcher icon, then when it loads the icons, click "browse". Navigate into your kompozer folder again, and inside it is a folder called "Icons". Double click on the folder, then click "Open". Double click on the icon you want to use, and voila, you have a working version of Kompozer with its own launcher on your panel.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Bruce

Changed in kompozer:
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
Changed in kompozer:
status: Fix Committed → In Progress
25 comments hidden view all 105 comments
Bruce Crowther (bwucie) wrote :

Puteruser,
The version of Kompozer that is currently in the software repositories will most certainly crash; if you scroll back up this page you will find several posts explaining how to use the current Alpha, which works fine.
Kompozer is too good a program to give up on: if a bozo like me, an old dinosaur that's half as old as God and only possessing one tiny brain atom, can build and maintain a website with it, that should be all the recommendation it needs!
Remember that the guy that writes the code for this program is essentially a volunteer, putting the fruit of his labour and intellect out in the wild as open source, without a humongous corporate sitting behind him. Then marvel even more at the amazing array of FREE software we Linux users can access, thanks largely to people of his ilk.
I tips me hat to them all, I does.
Kind regards,
Bruce

Tim Johnson (tim-pteq) wrote :

Hi all,

I fully agree with Bruce. Kompozer may have serious shortcomings and
clearly needs refinement, but to "write it off" is in direct contradiction
to the spirit of Open Source. Perhaps instead of the criticism, the
community could rally around and call up contacts who could help polish
Kompozer to achieve the stability that is required.

Tim Johnson

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 07:09:23 +0200, Bruce Crowther <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Puteruser,
> The version of Kompozer that is currently in the software repositories
> will most certainly crash; if you scroll back up this page you will find
> several posts explaining how to use the current Alpha, which works fine.
> Kompozer is too good a program to give up on: if a bozo like me, an old
> dinosaur that's half as old as God and only possessing one tiny brain
> atom, can build and maintain a website with it, that should be all the
> recommendation it needs!
> Remember that the guy that writes the code for this program is
> essentially a volunteer, putting the fruit of his labour and intellect
> out in the wild as open source, without a humongous corporate sitting
> behind him. Then marvel even more at the amazing array of FREE software
> we Linux users can access, thanks largely to people of his ilk.
> I tips me hat to them all, I does.
> Kind regards,
> Bruce
>

--
Using Ubuntu 8.10 and Opera

Hello Tim, Bruce and all,

Not only do I agree with Bruce and you, I would go further.
"They want it for free and they want it now and they want to sue the
community if it doesn't work 'out of the box'".
This is one of the few fora where I got (end get) serious answers to serious
questions.
That's wy I love it.
For me it is sufficient to be pointed to a direction, I didn't look earlier.
In 8.10, Kompozer works flawlessly, as is the smbclient.
Thanks to this forum.
Since then I can help others, who run into these problems.
So. let us not be discouraged by some annoying posts.

With kind regards to all of you.
oombas

2009/3/6 Tim Johnson <email address hidden>

> Hi all,
>
> I fully agree with Bruce. Kompozer may have serious shortcomings and
> clearly needs refinement, but to "write it off" is in direct contradiction
> to the spirit of Open Source. Perhaps instead of the criticism, the
> community could rally around and call up contacts who could help polish
> Kompozer to achieve the stability that is required.
>
> Tim Johnson
>
> On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 07:09:23 +0200, Bruce Crowther <email address hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > Puteruser,
> > The version of Kompozer that is currently in the software repositories
> > will most certainly crash; if you scroll back up this page you will find
> > several posts explaining how to use the current Alpha, which works fine.
> > Kompozer is too good a program to give up on: if a bozo like me, an old
> > dinosaur that's half as old as God and only possessing one tiny brain
> > atom, can build and maintain a website with it, that should be all the
> > recommendation it needs!
> > Remember that the guy that writes the code for this program is
> > essentially a volunteer, putting the fruit of his labour and intellect
> > out in the wild as open source, without a humongous corporate sitting
> > behind him. Then marvel even more at the amazing array of FREE software
> > we Linux users can access, thanks largely to people of his ilk.
> > I tips me hat to them all, I does.
> > Kind regards,
> > Bruce
> >
>
>
> --
> Using Ubuntu 8.10 and Opera
>
> --
> kompozer crashes in intrepid when opening the recent files menu
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/263441
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “kompozer” source package in Ubuntu: In Progress
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: kompozer
>
> 1. Make sure there is at least one entry in the recent file list so that
> the menu is not disabled
> 2. open the recent files menu (with the mouse)
> 3. *crash*
> on intrepid ibex 8.10
>
>

Daniel (danbar) wrote :

I just want to say thank you to the person responsible for Kompozer. Notwithstanding some problems with Ubuntu 8.10, I still say a big thank you for providing us with a FREE HTML writer program. Keep it up! I still use it and I'm still going to use it because I found it really great. Hopefully one day a good solution would be found.

Daniel ha scritto:
> I just want to say thank you to the person responsible for Kompozer.
> Notwithstanding some problems with Ubuntu 8.10, I still say a big thank
> you for providing us with a FREE HTML writer program. Keep it up! I
> still use it and I'm still going to use it because I found it really
> great. Hopefully one day a good solution would be found.
>

Hi,

I'm the KompoZer Debian maintainer (KompoZer isn't yet in Debian, but it is in
the NEW[1] queue).
I Uploaded my preliminary work in my PPA for Ubuntu users:

Jaunty:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

Intrepid:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

Hardy:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu hardy main

[1]http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/kompozer_0.7.10%2Bdfsg%2Bsvn117-1.html

Cheers,
Giuseppe.

Daniel (danbar) wrote :

Thanks for your input Giuseppe. I went to the kompozer download page.
I found many items to download. Which is the right one for me as I'm
using 8.10?

Giuseppe Iuculano wrote:
> Daniel ha scritto:
>
>> I just want to say thank you to the person responsible for Kompozer.
>> Notwithstanding some problems with Ubuntu 8.10, I still say a big thank
>> you for providing us with a FREE HTML writer program. Keep it up! I
>> still use it and I'm still going to use it because I found it really
>> great. Hopefully one day a good solution would be found.
>>
>>
>
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm the KompoZer Debian maintainer (KompoZer isn't yet in Debian, but it is in
> the NEW[1] queue).
> I Uploaded my preliminary work in my PPA for Ubuntu users:
>
> Jaunty:
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
>
>
> Intrepid:
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
>
>
> Hardy:
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
>
>
> [1]http://ftp-
> master.debian.org/new/kompozer_0.7.10%2Bdfsg%2Bsvn117-1.html
>
> Cheers,
> Giuseppe.
>
>

--

Ezra Morris (ezramorris) wrote :

If one wanted to add Giuseppe Iuculano's repository, you can follow the instructions here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/add-applications/C/extra-repositories.html#extra-repositories-adding

8.10 is Intrepid, so you would add add the deb and deb-src lines for that.

i'm tired with all these problems and tired with linux
i wen't back definitly to windows
good courage

What Windows version and applications without problems do you own?

2009/3/7 denis1212 <email address hidden>

> i'm tired with all these problems and tired with linux
> i wen't back definitly to windows
> good courage
>
> --
> kompozer crashes in intrepid when opening the recent files menu
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/263441
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “kompozer” source package in Ubuntu: In Progress
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: kompozer
>
> 1. Make sure there is at least one entry in the recent file list so that
> the menu is not disabled
> 2. open the recent files menu (with the mouse)
> 3. *crash*
> on intrepid ibex 8.10
>
>

Michal Suchanek (hramrach) wrote :

Hello,

2009/3/7 Giuseppe Iuculano <email address hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm the KompoZer Debian maintainer (KompoZer isn't yet in Debian, but it is in
> the NEW[1] queue).
> I Uploaded my preliminary work in my PPA for Ubuntu users:
>
> Jaunty:
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
>
>
> Intrepid:
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
>
>
> Hardy:
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
>
>
> [1]http://ftp-
> master.debian.org/new/kompozer_0.7.10%2Bdfsg%2Bsvn117-1.html
>
> Cheers,
> Giuseppe.

Is there a key for these repositories published somewhere (the one apt
would use to check the packages)?

Thanks

Michal

Hi,

Michal Suchanek ha scritto:
> Is there a key for these repositories published somewhere (the one apt
> would use to check the packages)?

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 623C928A

Cheers,
Giuseppe.

Shane Rice (shane2peru) wrote :

Thanks I needed that key too.

Shane

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 11:12 +0000, Giuseppe Iuculano wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Michal Suchanek ha scritto:
> > Is there a key for these repositories published somewhere (the one apt
> > would use to check the packages)?
>
>
> sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 623C928A
>
>
> Cheers,
> Giuseppe.
>

houstonbofh (leesharp) wrote :

Giuseppe Iuculano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Michal Suchanek ha scritto:
>> Is there a key for these repositories published somewhere (the one apt
>> would use to check the packages)?
>
>
> sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 623C928A

I added your PPA with the key above. I had the stock repo version on
Intrepid. It found 2 upgrades. However, the kompozer-data upgrade
crashed. I had to fix broken packages, and then everything worked fine.

   Lee

houstonbofh ha scritto:

> Intrepid. It found 2 upgrades. However, the kompozer-data upgrade
> crashed. I had to fix broken packages, and then everything worked fine.

What do you mean with crashed? Have you a log?

Cheers,
Giuseppe.

houstonbofh (leesharp) wrote :

Giuseppe Iuculano wrote:
> houstonbofh ha scritto:
>
>> Intrepid. It found 2 upgrades. However, the kompozer-data upgrade
>> crashed. I had to fix broken packages, and then everything worked fine.
>
> What do you mean with crashed? Have you a log?

Aport exited with "not an official package" and I can not remember. It
was a config file about an exception list, I think. This was in the apt
log...

Selecting previously deselected package kompozer-data.
Unpacking kompozer-data (from
.../kompozer-data_1%3a0.7.10+dfsg+svn117-2~1.gbp4940a7~intrepid1_all.deb)
...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/kompozer-data_1%3a0.7.10+dfsg+svn117-2~1.gbp4940a7~intrepid1_all.deb
(--unpack):
  trying to overwrite `/usr/share/kompozer/res/EditorOverride.css',
which is also in package kompozer
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

2009/3/9 houstonbofh <email address hidden>:
> Giuseppe Iuculano wrote:
>> houstonbofh ha scritto:
>>
>>> Intrepid.  It found 2 upgrades.  However, the kompozer-data upgrade
>>> crashed.  I had to fix broken packages, and then everything worked fine.
>>
>> What do you mean with crashed? Have you a log?
>
> Aport exited with "not an official package" and I can not remember.  It
> was a config file about an exception list, I think.  This was in the apt
> log...
>
> Selecting previously deselected package kompozer-data.
> Unpacking kompozer-data (from
> .../kompozer-data_1%3a0.7.10+dfsg+svn117-2~1.gbp4940a7~intrepid1_all.deb)
> ...
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/kompozer-data_1%3a0.7.10+dfsg+svn117-2~1.gbp4940a7~intrepid1_all.deb
> (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/usr/share/kompozer/res/EditorOverride.css',
> which is also in package kompozer
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

kompozer-data needs to conflict/replace old kompozer.

Workaround:

apt-get remove kompozer ; apt-get install kompozer

Thanks

Michal

Changed in kompozer:
assignee: giocaldo → nobody
status: In Progress → Confirmed
Michal Suchanek (hramrach) wrote :

Tried the new Kompozer on Intrepid.

It does not crash for me anymore.

Unfortunately, the source view does not work.

In the old one source is part of the view switch. In the new one it is
a separate check that does nothing.

Pablo Angulo (pablo-angulo) wrote :

A word of warning:

this is an alpha and, besides the missing source code view, there are other issues. For example, all the images appear as broken links.

Giuseppe Iuculano
thanks for creating the repository
apart from having to remove the original kompozer before installing the new version there is another bug
if you go to add a link the dialogue box is missing a text box to type in the new link, selecting to browse to find the html file works (providing the file already exists. ) otherwise your forced to create a link to a different file and handcode the link outside kompozer. Kompozer used to have an option to display the HTML source and edit it but while you can view the selected source the ability to edit it has gone.

Bruce Crowther (bwucie) wrote :

?????????????? In my setup, using Guiseppe's repo version, I can see the source at the bottom of the screen. To edit it, I click the element I wish to edit, then Alt+Enter, make the edits, then commit them by typing Alt+Enter again. It did take a while to get used to, but I like it well now.
Guiseppe, I am running Intrepid 64 Bit, and cut, copy and paste don't work in the main Kompozer pane (come to think of it, I don't know if they have worked in any of the Alpha versions.) Bit of a buggar when I used to be able to select all, copy, and paste a complete page into a new document. The obvious workaround I am using is to copy the source and insert it into a new html document as HTML.
Keep up the good work!!!!!
Kind regards,
Bruce.

Michal Suchanek ha scritto:
> Unfortunately, the source view does not work.

This is fixed in upstream svn repository, I'm going to upload a new version on
my PPA in this week.

Cheers,
Giuseppe

Pablo Angulo ha scritto:
> other issues. For example, all the images appear as broken links.

This bug is related to the --disable-xpfe-components. Unfortunately enabling
xpfe build fails.

I'm working with upstream to fix that, but no progress at this moment. If
someone want to help, this[1] is the log fail I have when
--enable-xpfe-components is used (~= 20MB)

[1]http://sd6.iuculano.it/kompozer_0.7.10+svn116-1_amd64.build

Cheers,
Giuseppe.

blackest_knight ha scritto:
> Giuseppe Iuculano
> thanks for creating the repository
> apart from having to remove the original kompozer before installing the new version there is another bug
> if you go to add a link the dialogue box is missing a text box to type in the new link, selecting to browse to find the html file works (providing the file already exists. ) otherwise your forced to create a link to a different file and handcode the link outside kompozer. Kompozer used to have an option to display the HTML source and edit it but while you can view the selected source the ability to edit it has gone.
>

that’s another "bonus" of the --disable-xpfe-components

Cheers,
Giuseppe

Bruce Crowther ha scritto:

> Guiseppe, I am running Intrepid 64 Bit, and cut, copy and paste don't work in the main Kompozer pane (come to think of it, I don't know if they have worked in any of the Alpha versions.) Bit of a buggar when I used to be able to select all, copy, and paste a complete page into a new document. The obvious workaround I am using is to copy the source and insert it into a new html document as HTML.
> Keep up the good work!!!!!
> Kind regards,
> Bruce.
>

Upstream knows this, and is working to fix it.

Cheers,
Giuseppe.

Kazé (kaze) wrote :

I’ve just published KompoZer 0.8a2: https://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=170132&filename=kompozer-0.8a2-gcc4-i686.tar.gz&a=35778284

A lot of bugs have been corrected, among which:
 * broken cut/copy
 * missing toolbar icons and other bugs in the CSS editor
 * “getIntPref” error in the font preferences window
 * non-working “View > HTML source” menu item

There’s a little more information on my weblog: http://kazhack.org/?post/2009/04/02/KompoZer-0.8a2

Nestor (nestornunez) wrote :

I upgrade to Intrepid and Kompozer crashed miserably.

Following the advice given at the beginning, I dowloaded the alpha:
20081217 and 20081223, with a failure in the command copy & paste.

I downloaded Kompozer for windows, and, success, it works fine with wine.

Nevetheless, I downloaded the versión given by Kazé:
http://kazhack.org/?post/2009/04/02/KompoZer-0.8a2

It works fine. Thanks very much. Nice work.

still not working in Ubuntu 9.04 :-(

gandaran (gandaran-gmail) wrote :

ubuntu 9.04 jaunty, clicking on any kompozer menu bar item the window closes or crashes immediately.

Kazé (kaze) wrote :

gandaran > yes, apparently the MOTU team has preferred to use KompoZer 0.7 instead of KompoZer 0.8 for this version. Looks like I’ve been working for nothing.

The good news is, Ubuntu will use Giuseppe’s work for future releases (i.e. they'll sync his Debian package). So this problem will be solved with Karmic Koala and the next LTS release.

Meanwhile, you can try KompoZer 0.8a2, or wait another week for KompoZer 0.8a3, or add Giuseppe's PPA account to your sources.list.

waffen (mlacunza) wrote :

I use the version 0.8a2 (20090402) in Jaunty 64bits with no problems!

bwallum (rbw2) wrote :

I confirm that version version 0.7.10 (20090420) crashes randomly in Jaunty 64 bit, with all loss of data, making it unusable.

I also experienced the same/similar issue with jaunty and Kompozer 0.7.10. Every time the mouse would go to a menu item with a sub-menu, kompozer would crash.

I did an strace (attached) in case it is useful

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :
Download full text (6.5 KiB)

This bug was fixed in the package kompozer - 1:0.8~alpha3+dfsg+svn152-1

---------------
kompozer (1:0.8~alpha3+dfsg+svn152-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * [23957fd] Imported Upstream version 0.8~alpha3+dfsg+svn152
    - Now the help menu works.(Closes: #525891)
  * [eee96d0] Updated files in debian/conf/ needed by clean target
  * [de5e181] 01_add_lfontocnfig.patch, 02_fix_overflow.patch,
    03_add_lfontconfig.patch, 04_fix_path.patch,
    05_remove_nonfree.patch, 06_syspref_folder_support.patch,
    07_cairo_xlib.patch, 08_security.patch,
    09_add_missing_tab_indentation.patch, 90_CVE-2009-1044.patch, are
    now in upstream, deleted.
  * [2609c1e] debian/patches/01_r153.patch: Fixed a chrome registration
    problem related to the "help" window.

kompozer (1:0.8~alpha2+dfsg+svn129-3) UNRELEASED; urgency=low

  * [92f61aa] debian/patches/19_gcc4.4.patch: Fix FTBFS with GCC 4.4.
    (no longer allows #elif without an expression) (Closes: #526161)
  * [6c824b4] debian/patches/90_CVE-2009-1044.patch: Fix Arbitrary code
    execution via XUL tree element (CVE-2009-1044)
  * [27275e6] debian/patches/90_CVE-2009-1311.patch: Fix POST data sent
    to wrong site when saving web page with embedded frame (CVE-2009-1311)
    (MFSA 2009-21)
  * [3b1eb19] debian/patches/90_CVE-2009-0776.patch: Updated fix for
    CVE-2009-0776, previous fix was incomplete. (MFSA 2009-09)
  * [8feadce] debian/patches/20_mips64_build.patch: Patch from Martin
    Michlmayr for mips64 builds. bz#330626
    debian/patches/21_mips_xpcom.patch: Patch from Thiemo Seufer to fix
    mips. bz#258429
    debian/patches/22_mips_performance.patch: Patch from Thiemo Seufer to
    increase stability and performance on mips.
  * [e7add6a] debian/rules: Fix get-orig-source target for working also
    with epoch in version

kompozer (1:0.8~alpha2+dfsg+svn129-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * [5577bd3] Build with "-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -g", hopefully it
    fixes FTBFS in s390
  * [ebcecc1] debian/kompozer.desktop: Added Network in Categories
  * [32daadd] debian/patches/13_kbsd.patch: GNU/kFreeBSD support.
    bz#356011
  * [db6d79f] debian/patches/14_distclean.patch: Make distclean cleaner.
    bz#333308.
  * [dd57bbd] debian/patches/15_system_libs.patch: Make sure we won't be
    bitten by upstream changing libjpeg, libpng or zlib internal
    version, which makes system library not used even though --with-
    system-* argument is given to configure.
  * [a59f082] debian/patches/16_uname.patch: Use ${host_*} variables
    instead of uname in configure.in. This is a minimalist patch to
    solve the particular bad assembler choice issue. It would need a
    much greater work to actually do something totally clean, but the
    current patch should be enough for Linux builds. Also incorporates
    fix for bz#363263.
  * [c39c0c3] debian/patches/17_locale.patch: use OS locale. bz#331779
  * [f62a517] Refreshed debian/patches/99_configure.patch
  * [c2aec04] debian/patches/18_crmf.patch: Put the crmf library before
    the NSS libraries.

kompozer (1:0.8~alpha2+dfsg+svn129-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * New upstream svn version. This fixes a lot of Ubuntu bugs:
    (LP: #347779) (LP: #26002...

Read more...

Changed in kompozer (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released

I find it disturbing that despite the criticality of the bug the MOTU team isn't going to add the fix to the repos for 8.10 and 9.04. As a bit of a workaround to that, would the backports maintainers consider adding it to their repository? At least users with backports enabled wouldn't have to read 200 or so messages on Launchpad to get Kompozer working.

That's good news that the fix will be included in the next Ubuntu release, but the "upgrade your entire OS to fix a bug" theory isn't too appealing to most people probably.

Good work on the fixes everyone. Kompozer rocks.

I was looking for a WYSIWYG web page composer and installed kompozer 0.7.10 from the jaunty repos, and the problem is that it crashes almost always in like 30 or 60 seconds of use... i thaught that may be because of the amd64 architectute so, y uninstalled and forced the 32 bit .deb package of the "stable version" downloaded from the website. in any of those cases komposer crashes in segmentation faults, for example, trying to open "recent files" in the File menu. The steps to reproduce this bug is to open some html file to have a previous file opened in order to have some file in "recent files" to open to, and then go to recent files... it closes automatically and all is gone. Also almost always crashes in generating tables, say right clicking to see properties of tables.. it craches giving segmentation faults, all of this in i386 or amd64 debs.

any ideas?

Regards,

Bruce Crowther (bwucie) wrote :

Santiago,
This is a loooong thread to read through now, but the answers for Kompozer on 64 bit Jaunty are up the page:

Follow the steps in post #70 and post #76, and you will be away laughing.

Regards,
Bruce.

2009/8/5 Santiago <email address hidden>

> I was looking for a WYSIWYG web page composer and installed kompozer
> 0.7.10 from the jaunty repos, and the problem is that it crashes almost
> always in like 30 or 60 seconds of use... i thaught that may be because
> of the amd64 architectute so, y uninstalled and forced the 32 bit .deb
> package of the "stable version" downloaded from the website. in any of
> those cases komposer crashes in segmentation faults, for example, trying
> to open "recent files" in the File menu. The steps to reproduce this bug
> is to open some html file to have a previous file opened in order to
> have some file in "recent files" to open to, and then go to recent
> files... it closes automatically and all is gone. Also almost always
> crashes in generating tables, say right clicking to see properties of
> tables.. it craches giving segmentation faults, all of this in i386 or
> amd64 debs.
>
> any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
>
I use the 0.84a with no problems in Ubuntu Jaunty amd64

--
Saludos / Best regards

Mario Lacunza
Software Architect - Webmaster

Website: http://www.lacunza.biz
Email: mlacunza [AT] gmail [DOT] com
Lima - Peru

Jan Groenewald (jan-aims) wrote :
Download full text (5.3 KiB)

Getting the PPA kompozer on 64bit jaunty

0 root@muizenberg:~/bin#cat /etc/apt/sources.list|tail -2
# Kompozer https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kompozer/+bug/263441
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
0 root@muizenberg:~/bin#sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 623C928A
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 623C928A
gpg: requesting key 623C928A from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key 623C928A: public key "Launchpad PPA for Giuseppe Iuculano" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)
0 root@muizenberg:~/bin#aptitude dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  kompozer-data{a}
The following packages will be upgraded:
  kompozer
1 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.1MB of archives. After unpacking 1303kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
Writing extended state information... Done
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty/main kompozer-data 1:0.8~alpha4+dfsg+svn163-1~jaunty1 [2237kB]
Get:2 http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty/main kompozer 1:0.8~alpha4+dfsg+svn163-1~jaunty1 [7859kB]
Fetched 10.1MB in 4min 32s (37.0kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package kompozer-data.
(Reading database ... 399624 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking kompozer-data (from .../kompozer-data_1%3a0.8~alpha4+dfsg+svn163-1~jaunty1_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kompozer-data_1%3a0.8~alpha4+dfsg+svn163-1~jaunty1_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/kompozer/defaults/pref/all.js', which is also in package kompozer
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Preparing to replace kompozer 1:0.7.10-0ubuntu6 (using .../kompozer_1%3a0.8~alpha4+dfsg+svn163-1~jaunty1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement kompozer ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kompozer-data_1%3a0.8~alpha4+dfsg+svn163-1~jaunty1_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kompozer:
 kompozer depends on kompozer-data; however:
  Package kompozer-data is not installed.
dpkg: error processing kompozer (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 kompozer
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done

Current status: 1 broken [+1], 0 updates [-1].
255 root@muizenberg:~/bin#aptitude purge kompozer
Rea...

Read more...

user4 (bqz69) wrote :

I am using ubuntu intrepid 8.10 al well as 9.04, have also tried on 8.04.

I have tried to install kompozer from this repository deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/giuseppe-iuculano/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main which is kompozer version 0.8a4 (20081229), and it seems to work well.

However I have found out with some trial and error, that I can drag and drop both images from dolphin file manager, and links from a webbrowser like firefox direct into kompozer, which makes it much faster to make a webpage.

I have kompozer, dolphin and firefox open on the same desktop, but with this version I cannot drag and drop images, they become links instead, however links from firefox drags and drops fine.

I am waiting for 9.10 to be published on the 29th oct 2009, and then I hope that kompozer will work with above drag and drop system.

Any suggestions? :-)

just tried in Jaunty
the version from standart repositories still crashes, but from
https://launchpad.net/~giuseppe-iuculano/+archive/ppa works fine.
By the way http://www.kompozer.net/download.php also proposes this ppa.

Displaying first 40 and last 40 comments. View all 105 comments or add a comment.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.