Window auto-maximise functionality should be disabled on monitors with a resolution above 1024 x 600

Reported by John Lea on 2011-06-15
154
This bug affects 45 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ayatana Design
Medium
John Lea
Unity
High
Andrea Azzarone
unity-2d
High
Unassigned
unity-2d (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
unity (Ubuntu)
High
Andrea Azzarone

Bug Description

The window auto-maximise function was specifically designed for the netbook use case, and works well in this context. However it causes issues for users of screens with a higher resolution, and attempts to solve these issues by changing the auto-maximise % threshold have not been entirely successful.

This bug proposes implementing a cut off resolution, constraining this functionality to screen resolutions equal to or below 1024 x 600

Related branches

lp:~andyrock/unity/fix-797808
Merged into lp:unity at revision 1869
Mirco Müller: Approve on 2012-01-26
Marco Biscaro (community): Approve on 2012-01-18
John Lea (johnlea) on 2011-06-15
tags: added: udo
Changed in ayatana-design:
assignee: nobody → John Lea (johnlea)
importance: Undecided → Low
status: New → Fix Committed

This bug is high related to bug #754214.

Bilal Akhtar (bilalakhtar) wrote :

Merging into bug #754214

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
John Lea (johnlea) on 2011-10-12
Changed in unity:
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in ayatana-design:
importance: Low → Medium
Omer Akram (om26er) on 2011-10-12
Changed in unity:
importance: Undecided → Medium
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
Jiri Techet (techet) wrote :

Even though my resolution is over 1024 x 600 and the issue would be fixed for me, I disagree this is good solution. The reason is that when a user decides to unmaximize a window, he probably has a good reason for it and wants the window to appear the same way next time he starts the application.

If you prefer to have some windows maximized on smaller screens, the windows should only *default* to maximized state when the application is launched for the very first time. If the user likes it, he keeps it that way. If he doesn't and unmaximizes the window, his decision should be respected next time the application is started.

The current state also "feels" buggy and can lead to bad initial experience - see my comment here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/708809/comments/21

I agree with Jiri wholeheartedly.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Jiri Techet <email address hidden> wrote:
> Even though my resolution is over 1024 x 600 and the issue would be
> fixed for me, I disagree this is good solution. The reason is that when
> a user decides to unmaximize a window, he probably has a good reason for
> it and wants the window to appear the same way next time he starts the
> application.
>
> If you prefer to have some windows maximized on smaller screens, the
> windows should only *default* to maximized state when the application is
> launched for the very first time. If the user likes it, he keeps it that
> way. If he doesn't and unmaximizes the window, his decision should be
> respected next time the application is started.
>
> The current state also "feels" buggy and can lead to bad initial
> experience - see my comment here:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/708809/comments/21
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (769085).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/797808
>
> Title:
>  Window auto-maximise functionality should be disabled on monitors with
>  a resolution above 1024 x 600
>
> Status in Ayatana Design:
>  Fix Committed
> Status in Unity:
>  Confirmed
> Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
>  Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
>  The window auto-maximise function was specifically designed for the
>  netbook use case, and works well in this context.  However it causes
>  issues for users of screens with a higher resolution, and attempts to
>  solve these issues by changing the auto-maximise % threshold have not
>  been entirely successful.
>
>  This bug proposes implementing a cut off resolution, constraining this
>  functionality to screen resolutions equal to or below 1024 x 600
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/797808/+subscriptions
>

Changed in unity:
assignee: nobody → Sam Spilsbury (smspillaz)
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Sam Spilsbury (smspillaz)
John Lea (johnlea) on 2011-10-18
Changed in unity:
milestone: none → backlog
tags: added: udp
Changed in ayatana-design:
status: Fix Committed → Triaged
John Lea (johnlea) on 2011-11-03
Changed in unity:
importance: Medium → High
assignee: Sam Spilsbury (smspillaz) → Jason Smith (jassmith)
Changed in ayatana-design:
status: Triaged → Fix Committed
Antti P Miettinen (apm) wrote :

I think the title of this bug is not what I see to be a solution. I'd like to be able to simply disable the auto maximize feature.

The compiz config setting does not help "ubuntu 2D" a.k.a. "unity 2D" environment. If you want to get rid of auto maximize in 2D env, set /apps/metacity/general/auto_maximize_windows gconf key to false.

Helmut (debesh) wrote :

It is an interesting feature. However, it can drive you crazy when not knowing where it comes from and how to configure it.

Changed in unity:
assignee: Jason Smith (jassmith) → Andrea Azzarone (andyrock)
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
assignee: Sam Spilsbury (smspillaz) → Andrea Azzarone (andyrock)
Changed in unity:
status: Confirmed → In Progress
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → In Progress
Changed in unity:
milestone: backlog → 5.0.0
Omer Akram (om26er) on 2012-01-07
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
importance: Medium → High
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2012-01-12
Changed in unity:
milestone: 5.0.0 → 5.2.0
Changed in unity:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2012-02-03
Changed in unity:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :
Download full text (5.4 KiB)

This bug was fixed in the package unity - 5.2.0-0ubuntu1

---------------
unity (5.2.0-0ubuntu1) precise; urgency=low

  * New upstream release.
    - Unity needs a way to switch (tab) between windows on current workspace
      (LP: #863399)
    - compiz crashed with SIGSEGV in BamfLauncherIcon::NameForWindow()
      (LP: #865840)
    - Gradual degradation in desktop performance. (LP: #888039)
    - compiz (unity) crashes with SIGSEGV when a window is minimized.
      (LP: #918329)
    - FavoriteStore external change support (LP: #681503)
    - Launcher - Make Launcher left of screen reveal more responsive and less
      prone to false positives (LP: #765819)
    - Window auto-maximise functionality should be disabled on monitors with a
      resolution above 1024 x 600 (LP: #797808)
    - Dash: very high latency responding to input (LP: #828582)
    - Dash - Behaviour of the 'All' button in the Dash filters broken in
      several ways (LP: #841864)
    - alt-tab - The app title in the top left of the top bar should change as
      the alt-tab focus changes (LP: #855516)
    - Keyboard shortcut - Add keyboard shortcut hint overlay that is displayed
      when a user presses and holds the Super key (LP: #855532)
    - Unity crashes when started in an environment without utouch support
      (LP: #860707)
    - Dash - Remove Dash Home shortcut icons (LP: #885738)
    - Dash - Most Frequently Used apps change to Recently Used, without
      Launcher favorites (LP: #893214)
    - Should have a launcher on every monitor (LP: #915944)
    - Launcher autohide behaviour on multi-monitor (LP: #915946)
    - the unity wrapper should kill compiz before restarting it (LP: #919132)
    - Launcher - Implement workspace/launcher cross interactions (LP: #690143)
    - Application icons should only display windows from the current workspace
      in the window spread (LP: #689733)
    - Notification area ("system tray") missing when using dual monitors of
      different sizes, with their bottoms aligned (LP: #778256)
    - Clicking Nautilus launcher icon fails to open a Nautilus file explorer
      window when copying a file and all other Nautilus windows are closed /
      bamf should skip the taskbar (LP: #784804)
    - Dash - the search box is not aligned correctly relative to the Launcher
      BFB button (LP: #838904)
    - Dash - A expand/collapse arrow is missing from all the filter category
      headers (LP: #841870)
    - Dash - the filter buttons should not have a mouse over state
      (LP: #838901)
    - Dash - the "Filter results" text is the wrong size, wrong font weight,
      and aligned incorrectly in both the vertical and horizontal axis
      (LP: #863240)
    - Add SUPER+TAB switching mode that enables the user to switch
      applications via the Launcher (LP: #891620)
    - Software Centre - automatically add app icon to launcher (LP: #761851)
    - Compiz add transparency to titlebar along with the panel (LP: #912682)
    - The search box is too opaque and dark (LP: #913717)
    - Dash - Make statefulness of Dash Home and Dash Lenses consistent
      (LP: #914759)
    - Unity 5.0: "All" button for filters render as "..." (LP: #91...

Read more...

Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released

Just add the ability to disable automaximize. Simple fix.

Nick Tait (jnick-tait) on 2012-03-12
tags: added: furtherdesignreviewrequiredp
John Lea (johnlea) on 2012-04-26
tags: added: reviewedbydesignp
removed: furtherdesignreviewrequiredp udo udp
Changed in unity-2d:
importance: Undecided → High
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in unity-2d (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
John Lea (johnlea) on 2012-08-10
Changed in ayatana-design:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers