Filter type names incorrect after upgrade to 14.04 and results don't correspond to the selected types

Bug #1312401 reported by Duke on 2014-04-24
38
This bug affects 6 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ubuntu Translations
Undecided
Unassigned
unity-lens-applications
Undecided
Unassigned
language-pack-gnome-it-base (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
language-pack-gnome-nl-base (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

I use Ubuntu in Dutch.

After upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04 the names of the types under "Resultaten filteren" ("Filter results") in the Application lens of the Dash are a mix of Dutch names and English names, and when I select a type the results do not correspond to the selected type.

For example, in the attached screen shot:
* There is a type "Games" (which should not be there since I use Ubuntu in Dutch) and a type "Spelletjes" (which is the correct type name for "Games" in Dutch)
* When I select type "Games" I get results from the "Internet" type
* When I select type "Spelletjes" (not in the attached screen shot) there are no results

luca (l-savio) wrote :

Same behavior in Italian.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

affects: ubuntu-translations → language-pack-gnome-it-base (Ubuntu)
Changed in language-pack-gnome-it-base (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
affects: ubuntu-translations → language-pack-gnome-nl-base (Ubuntu)
Changed in language-pack-gnome-nl-base (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Paweł Stołowski (stolowski) wrote :

The problem is in the translation file of unity-scope-home (note, even though it's a translation for home scope, it does affect applications in this case, cause it's home scope that spawns a master cope for Apps). The problem is with this string (I've just checked Italian):

msgid ""
"Accessories;Education;Games;Graphics;Internet;Fonts;Office;Media;"
"Customisation;Accessibility;Developer;Science & Engineering;Dash plugins;"
"System"
msgstr ""
"Accessori;Educazione;Giochi;Grafica;Internet;Caratteri;Font;Office;Ufficio;"
"Multimedia;Personalizzazione;Accessibilit<C3><A0>;Sviluppo;Scienza;Ingegneria;"
"Plugin Dash;Dash;Plugin;Sistema;"

the translated string is not in sync with the original string (i.e. there is "Caratteri" insetrted between "Internet" and "Font").

Changed in unity-lens-applications:
status: New → Invalid
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in language-pack-gnome-it-base (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in language-pack-gnome-nl-base (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed

Thanks for reporting this. I have adjusted the Dutch translation. Hopefully, there will be a language pack update soon.

Message 15 is wrong (italian, there're two office: one in english and one in italian). I committed a suggestion.

Milo Casagrande (milo) wrote :

I approved string 15 on the unity-scope-home for Italian, but it is still not clear to me how those strings are used in unity.

Since they look pretty similar to GNOME strings that are used to provide search terms, usually we translate them in the same way. Meaning that original words have to be kept in order to provide search terms.

From what I gather from this bug report, those strings are not used in that way (each word appears to be a positional value). If that's the case, I would suggest to add translator comments for those strings with instructions on how they are used and how they should be treated.

Carlo (woddy68) wrote :

This problem continues to be present in both Ubuntu 14:10 to 15:04 in Italian

Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

On 2015-03-05 12:21, Carlo wrote:
> This problem continues to be present in both Ubuntu 14:10 to 15:04
> in Italian

The Italian translation was reviewed as late as 2015-03-01.

As regards 15.04 there was a language pack update on 2015-03-02, but I just noticed that the change is not included in language-pack-gnome-it_15.04+20150302_all.deb. I can't tell why.

To fix it in 14.04 and/or 14.10, someone will need to request updates of the Italian language packs for trusty respective utopic:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/LanguagePackUpdateRequest

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers