unable to upgrade to 15.04 due to libstdc++6 SRU

Bug #1534374 reported by Basil29
This bug affects 131 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu)
Won't Fix
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

initially had a problem with X when i installed a new Nvidia video card. got that working but only one monitor was functioning (other is displayport). Thought maybe upgrading to a new release might fix the problem. Software update only offered 15.04, so I said ok and tried to upgrade. It crashed with the info attached. rebooted just in case, but still get the same problem

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:0.220.8
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.16.0-57.77~14.04.1-generic 3.16.7-ckt20
Uname: Linux 3.16.0-57-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.19
Architecture: amd64
CrashDB: ubuntu
Date: Thu Jan 14 18:38:01 2016
InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-03-14 (306 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64 (20150218.1)
PackageArchitecture: all
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=xterm
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2016-01-14 (0 days ago)
VarLogDistupgradeTermlog:

mtime.conffile..etc.update.manager.release.upgrades: 2016-01-14T18:29:51.136835

Revision history for this message
Basil29 (mark-sproull) wrote :
Revision history for this message
Steve Langasek (vorlon) wrote :

$ apt-cache policy gcc-4.9-base
gcc-4.9-base:
  Installed: 4.9.3-0ubuntu4
  Candidate: 4.9.3-0ubuntu4
  Version table:
 *** 4.9.3-0ubuntu4 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4.9.2-10ubuntu13 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ vivid/main amd64 Packages
$

The version of libstdc++6 in vivid comes from gcc-4.9 source. There has been an SRU of gccgo-4.9 to trusty, which requires it to build a gcc-4.9-base package, whose version number is higher in trusty than in vivid; and libstdc++6 requires the matching version of gcc-4.9-base. This prevents upgrading anything that depends on libstdc++6.

This problem is specific to upgrades between trusty and vivid; libstdc++6 in wily is built from gcc 5 so depends on gcc-5-base instead of gcc-4.9-base, removing the problem.

Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
summary: - unable to upgrade beyond 14.04
+ unable to upgrade to 15.04 due to libstdc++6 SRU
tags: added: bugpattern-written
Changed in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Triaged
importance: Undecided → High
Revision history for this message
Gary Krueger (gary3) wrote :

I abandoned the release-upgrader route for upgrading from root encrypted 14.04 LTS pretty quickly. I later tried to upgrade by downloading to a USB key and reinstalling. However, the current Ubuntu 15.04 and 15.10 has a problem with broken encryption. So, encrypting partitions was broke in a way that made it very difficult to know why the install wasn't working.

Root encrypted 14.04 LTS had always been a problem for me. It would boot up in a way that left the screen blank. In order to unencrypt to complete the bootup, I had to ALT-CTRL-F6 then ALT-CTRL-F7 to get it to ask for the encryption key.

What forced me to try to upgrade was that the (Broadcom) WiFi broke, and I forgot that I had read that updates and upgrades may break the WiFi that was installed.

It would also crash on occasion when suspending (after several suspensions).

So, I reverted to an unencrypted install of 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr). Then, when creating the user account, I selected the option for encryption of the user directory. Much easier. And the machine is now much more reliable.

So far, I have done more than several suspends and it has been rock solid.

Revision history for this message
Basil29 (mark-sproull) wrote : Re: [Bug 1534374] Re: unable to upgrade to 15.04 due to libstdc++6 SRU

Thanks.
Meantime, I was able to get my video card recognized, so I'm running on
14.04 as well, and I've turned off notifications of non-lts releases.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Gary Krueger <email address hidden> wrote:

> I abandoned the release-upgrader route for upgrading from root encrypted
> 14.04 LTS pretty quickly. I later tried to upgrade by downloading to a
> USB key and reinstalling. However, the current Ubuntu 15.04 and 15.10
> has a problem with broken encryption. So, encrypting partitions was
> broke in a way that made it very difficult to know why the install
> wasn't working.
>
> Root encrypted 14.04 LTS had always been a problem for me. It would
> boot up in a way that left the screen blank. In order to unencrypt to
> complete the bootup, I had to ALT-CTRL-F6 then ALT-CTRL-F7 to get it to
> ask for the encryption key.
>
> What forced me to try to upgrade was that the (Broadcom) WiFi broke, and
> I forgot that I had read that updates and upgrades may break the WiFi
> that was installed.
>
> It would also crash on occasion when suspending (after several
> suspensions).
>
> So, I reverted to an unencrypted install of 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr).
> Then, when creating the user account, I selected the option for
> encryption of the user directory. Much easier. And the machine is now
> much more reliable.
>
> So far, I have done more than several suspends and it has been rock
> solid.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1534374
>
> Title:
> unable to upgrade to 15.04 due to libstdc++6 SRU
>
> Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> initially had a problem with X when i installed a new Nvidia video
> card. got that working but only one monitor was functioning (other is
> displayport). Thought maybe upgrading to a new release might fix the
> problem. Software update only offered 15.04, so I said ok and tried
> to upgrade. It crashed with the info attached. rebooted just in
> case, but still get the same problem
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:0.220.8
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.16.0-57.77~14.04.1-generic 3.16.7-ckt20
> Uname: Linux 3.16.0-57-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.19
> Architecture: amd64
> CrashDB: ubuntu
> Date: Thu Jan 14 18:38:01 2016
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-03-14 (306 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
> (20150218.1)
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcEnviron:
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2016-01-14 (0 days ago)
> VarLogDistupgradeTermlog:
>
> mtime.conffile..etc.update.manager.release.upgrades:
> 2016-01-14T18:29:51.136835
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1534374/+subscriptions
>

Revision history for this message
Nukeador (nukeador) wrote :

Any workarounds?

Thanks.

Revision history for this message
Cristian Bungau (cbungau) wrote :

I used Synaptic to remove libstdc++6 and after removing several
packages, I was offered the chance to remove libstdc++6 after all. But a
warning was given that a large number of packages will also be removed,
warning which I decided to ignore. Big mistake! It started to remove
everything (15 GB of packages) and I was left with an unstable system.
Not even a memory disc will be recognised/loaded.

So I installed my Ubuntu15.10 (32 bit to be safe) and lost my data. Now
this gives other headaches: my Intel video driver is not good enough +
RAM problems (I have 2 GB - maybe not enough for Ubuntu 15.10) +
applications crashing due to the Intel driver.

I miss my old Ubuntu 14.04 installation and my old libstdc++6.

So please DO NOT fix this bug, as it saves people major headaches later on.

Thanks.

On 30/01/16 16:39, Nukeador wrote:
> Any workarounds?
>
> Thanks.
>

Revision history for this message
sed (sed1949) wrote :

I am not experienced enough to figure out a solution. I may just wait until
16.04 LTS to upgrade.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Nukeador <email address hidden> wrote:

> Any workarounds?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1537956).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1534374
>
> Title:
> unable to upgrade to 15.04 due to libstdc++6 SRU
>
> Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> initially had a problem with X when i installed a new Nvidia video
> card. got that working but only one monitor was functioning (other is
> displayport). Thought maybe upgrading to a new release might fix the
> problem. Software update only offered 15.04, so I said ok and tried
> to upgrade. It crashed with the info attached. rebooted just in
> case, but still get the same problem
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:0.220.8
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.16.0-57.77~14.04.1-generic 3.16.7-ckt20
> Uname: Linux 3.16.0-57-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.19
> Architecture: amd64
> CrashDB: ubuntu
> Date: Thu Jan 14 18:38:01 2016
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-03-14 (306 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
> (20150218.1)
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcEnviron:
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2016-01-14 (0 days ago)
> VarLogDistupgradeTermlog:
>
> mtime.conffile..etc.update.manager.release.upgrades:
> 2016-01-14T18:29:51.136835
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1534374/+subscriptions
>

Revision history for this message
Sammael Morgenstern (morgenstjernesammael) wrote :

Well, I think I not alone in this. I am trying to update from 14.10 to 15.04 but it seems impossible. First I had the issue "Cannot calculate upgrade" and after entering a bunch of lines on the terminal relating to Xorg and other third party packages, I still unable to update.

On the step of "Calculating changes" Now, the error I get is this:

"Calculando los cambios

Calculando los cambios

Error al autenticar algunos paquetes

No ha sido posible autenticar algunos paquetes. Esto puede ser debido
a un problema transitorio en la red. Pruebe de nuevo más tarde. Vea
abajo una lista de los paquetes no autenticados.

gettext
libatomic1
libfftw3-double3
libfftw3-single3
libgfortran3
libgomp1
libitm1
libquadmath0
libstdc++6
libstdc++6:i386
libtsan0

the packages above mentioned "could not be authenticated"

I really would like to go ahead with the automatic upgrade. i don't want to go through installing it from a usb or dvd.

I have upgraded from older versions till the current I have.

Revision history for this message
Tyler (tkdestroyer2) wrote :

For me the only ERROR in the log was one implying that I had held packages... which I didn't.

I really need to do the automatic upgrade, because Kubuntu 14.04 LiveCD was the only Ubuntu LiveCD to not have kernel panics.

Revision history for this message
Sammael Morgenstern (morgenstjernesammael) wrote :

#10 - > This is part of my error too, now. Tyler, what have you done so far to resolve this issue?

Revision history for this message
Tyler (tkdestroyer2) wrote :

#11 - Sammael, I attempted to locate broken or held packages, but every method returns empty. I THINK I have the error above, as the error reporter sent me to this page, and my logs match about the libstdc++6 thing.

For those wondering about the LiveCD issue, I have no fricken idea what to do. When I connect my display to my on-board graphics, it simply fails to work (like maybe my R9 390's presence is blocking it as an output). I tried to install AMD's drivers via command line mode, but I cannot get it to finish, because (I think) it requires GUI verification to finish the process. But, of course, going back to GUI will make the kernel panic again.

Revision history for this message
Christoph Burschka (christoph-pk) wrote :

Re #2:
> The version of libstdc++6 in vivid comes from gcc-4.9 source. There has been an SRU of gccgo-4.9 to trusty, which requires it to build a gcc-4.9-base package, whose version number is higher in trusty than in vivid; and libstdc++6 requires the matching version of gcc-4.9-base. This prevents upgrading anything that depends on libstdc++6.
>
> This problem is specific to upgrades between trusty and vivid; libstdc++6 in wily is built from gcc 5 so depends on gcc-5-base instead of gcc-4.9-base, removing the problem.

From this, I speculated that the obstruction in the upgrade path *might* be cleared by manually up- (or rather down-) grading gcc-4.9-base from the 4.9.3 version used in 14.04/trusty to the 4.9.2 version used in 15.04/vivid.

So I downloaded the package (http://packages.ubuntu.com/vivid/gcc-4.9-base), manually installed it with dpkg, and attempted to run do-release-upgrade again.

I haven't actually upgraded yet, but the error is gone now. The upgrade path can be calculated successfully:

> 38 packages are going to be removed. 353 new packages are going to be
> installed. 2364 packages are going to be upgraded.

Revision history for this message
Tbsc (tbsc) wrote :

#13 - Mind explaining how you did? Trying to do it on mine fails with existing packages saying they need 4.9.3.

Revision history for this message
Brian Murray (brian-murray) wrote :

Ubuntu 15.04, Vivid, will be reaching End of Life this week - at which point in time upgrades will be performed from Trusty to Wily. I'm in the process of testing upgrades from Trusty to Wily and provided they are successful, I'll be setting Vivid as End of Life early (only in the meta-release files) so that the upgrade path will be to Wily. I'll comment on this bug after making such a change.

Revision history for this message
Christoph Burschka (christoph-pk) wrote :

#14 - I'm honestly not sure; I expected dependent packages to complain about the downgrade, but they didn't.

(Note: It's likely that all relevant architectures must be installed with the same dpkg command. Maybe it'll work if you use --force-depends?)

This worked for me:

$ sudo dpkg -i gcc-4.9-base_4.9.2-10ubuntu13_amd64.deb gcc-4.9-base_4.9.2-10ubuntu13_i386.deb
$ sudo do-release-upgrade

Revision history for this message
dvd7587 (dvd7587) wrote :

Tried with the approach of #16 :

$ sudo dpkg -i gcc-4.9-base_4.9.2-10ubuntu13_amd64.deb
$ sudo do-release-upgrade

and am now upgrading to vivid. finger crossed.

Revision history for this message
Tbsc (tbsc) wrote :

#16 and #13 - Do **NOT** upgrade using that method. i tried, and it messed up Ubuntu for me. Going to reinstall, but **DON'T** do it that way! It'd be much better if you upgraded using the install disk.

Revision history for this message
Tbsc (tbsc) wrote :

Also, by messed up I mean not being able to boot at all. Doesn't even show any errors.

Revision history for this message
Cristian Bungau (cbungau) wrote :

Do not upgrade at all! Why bother? Many things will no longer work even
after upgrading using the install disk, unless you have the latest PC
model with lots of RAM (my 2 GB are not enough)...

On 03/02/16 04:20, Daniel Benvenisti wrote:
> #16 and #13 - Do **NOT** upgrade using that method. i tried, and it
> messed up Ubuntu for me. Going to reinstall, but **DON'T** do it that
> way! It'd be much better if you upgraded using the install disk.
>

Revision history for this message
dvd7587 (dvd7587) wrote :

My upgrade worked, to some extent... I had a couple held back packages which I fixed by reinstalling. however, my touchpad does not work anymore, except for the buttons (it doesn't move the cursor, like, at all...).
I hope upgrading to wily fixes this.

Revision history for this message
Cristian Bungau (cbungau) wrote :

As I keep telling people: Why upgrade since various things will surely
stop working (as I learned from my experience)?

If it ain't broke don't fix it... Long live Ubuntu 14.04 - I miss it!

On 03/02/16 08:00, dvd7587 wrote:
> My upgrade worked, to some extent... I had a couple held back packages which I fixed by reinstalling. however, my touchpad does not work anymore, except for the buttons (it doesn't move the cursor, like, at all...).
> I hope upgrading to wily fixes this.
>

Revision history for this message
dvd7587 (dvd7587) wrote :

@Cristian, did you consider one may want to update because something IS broken or missing?

Revision history for this message
rklemme (shortcutter) wrote :

#23 that is actually the case with me. There is an issue in the Intel video support that starts to annoy me. And I cannot install LTS enablement stack to get a newer kernel so I need to upgrade.

Revision history for this message
dvd7587 (dvd7587) wrote :

#24, If possible, you should probably wait for direct upgrade to wily, as suggested in #15 ...

Revision history for this message
Colin (hellfire67) wrote :

thank you.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 5:29 AM, dvd7587 <email address hidden> wrote:

> #24, If possible, you should probably wait for direct upgrade to wily,
> as suggested in #15 ...
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1535072).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1534374
>
> Title:
> unable to upgrade to 15.04 due to libstdc++6 SRU
>
> Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> initially had a problem with X when i installed a new Nvidia video
> card. got that working but only one monitor was functioning (other is
> displayport). Thought maybe upgrading to a new release might fix the
> problem. Software update only offered 15.04, so I said ok and tried
> to upgrade. It crashed with the info attached. rebooted just in
> case, but still get the same problem
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:0.220.8
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.16.0-57.77~14.04.1-generic 3.16.7-ckt20
> Uname: Linux 3.16.0-57-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.19
> Architecture: amd64
> CrashDB: ubuntu
> Date: Thu Jan 14 18:38:01 2016
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-03-14 (306 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
> (20150218.1)
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcEnviron:
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2016-01-14 (0 days ago)
> VarLogDistupgradeTermlog:
>
> mtime.conffile..etc.update.manager.release.upgrades:
> 2016-01-14T18:29:51.136835
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1534374/+subscriptions
>
>

Revision history for this message
Sammael Morgenstern (morgenstjernesammael) wrote :

So, we'd better wait until Willy is released.

End of line.

Revision history for this message
dvd7587 (dvd7587) wrote :

#27 yay
Aldo, with wily my touchpad issues were solved.

Revision history for this message
Brian Murray (brian-murray) wrote :

I've set Vivid to unsupported in the meta-release file now and one can now upgrade to wily using 'do-release-upgrade -p'. The -p is necessary to use the release upgrader tarball from -proposed, which is being copied to -updates as I write this. Subsequently, you shouldn't need the -p switch for long.

Revision history for this message
themusicgod1 (themusicgod1) wrote :

15.04 no longer in support, just confirmed the fix (upgrading to 15.10) seems to work. Someone's gotta mark this complete, might as well be this internet random.

Changed in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Committed
Revision history for this message
Brian Murray (brian-murray) wrote :

Actually, Won't Fix seems most appropriate as we opted not to fix the upgrade path from Trusty to Vivid.

Changed in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Won't Fix
Revision history for this message
Inderjit Singh (inderjit67) wrote :

Please refer your mail regarding upgrade. After I got notification for
upgrade to 15.10 I proceeded forward for upgrade. Every thing was ok during
full download but at the boot option I get the following-
"Ubuntu
Advanced options for ubuntu........
Memory test.......
Memory test......
Windows 10 (loader)......
Windows Recovery.........."

I selected first option then I got the following -
[ok] Started Wait for all 'auto"/etc/network/interface
[ok] Reached target Network is Online
[ok] Started Set console key....
[ok] --------
----------
[ok] Satrted udev Kernal Device Manager
       Starting Show Plymouth Boot Screen"

After this I waited for long time but nothing is happening.

I shut down again there is halt at this place. Thank god Win 10 is working.
Please guide what to do. I cannot approach you through Launchpad.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 9:24 PM, Brian Murray <email address hidden> wrote:

> Actually, Won't Fix seems most appropriate as we opted not to fix the
> upgrade path from Trusty to Vivid.
>
> ** Changed in: ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu)
> Status: Fix Committed => Won't Fix
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1534374
>
> Title:
> unable to upgrade to 15.04 due to libstdc++6 SRU
>
> Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader package in Ubuntu:
> Won't Fix
>
> Bug description:
> initially had a problem with X when i installed a new Nvidia video
> card. got that working but only one monitor was functioning (other is
> displayport). Thought maybe upgrading to a new release might fix the
> problem. Software update only offered 15.04, so I said ok and tried
> to upgrade. It crashed with the info attached. rebooted just in
> case, but still get the same problem
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:0.220.8
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.16.0-57.77~14.04.1-generic 3.16.7-ckt20
> Uname: Linux 3.16.0-57-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.19
> Architecture: amd64
> CrashDB: ubuntu
> Date: Thu Jan 14 18:38:01 2016
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-03-14 (306 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
> (20150218.1)
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcEnviron:
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2016-01-14 (0 days ago)
> VarLogDistupgradeTermlog:
>
> mtime.conffile..etc.update.manager.release.upgrades:
> 2016-01-14T18:29:51.136835
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1534374/+subscriptions
>

Revision history for this message
Inderjit Singh (inderjit67) wrote :
Download full text (3.7 KiB)

Please refer your mail regarding upgrade. After I got notification for
upgrade to 15.10 I proceeded forward for upgrade. Every thing was ok during
full download but at the boot option I get the following-
"Ubuntu
Advanced options for ubuntu........
Memory test.......
Memory test......
Windows 10 (loader)......
Windows Recovery.........."

I selected first option then I got the following -
[ok] Started Wait for all 'auto"/etc/network/interface
[ok] Reached target Network is Online
[ok] Started Set console key....
[ok] --------
----------
[ok] Satrted udev Kernal Device Manager
       Starting Show Plymouth Boot Screen"

After this I waited for long time but nothing is happening.

I shut down again there is halt at this place. Thank god Win 10 is working.
Please guide what to do. I cannot approach you through Launchpad.

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Inderjit Singh <email address hidden> wrote:

> Please refer your mail regarding upgrade. After I got notification for
> upgrade to 15.10 I proceeded forward for upgrade. Every thing was ok during
> full download but at the boot option I get the following-
> "Ubuntu
> Advanced options for ubuntu........
> Memory test.......
> Memory test......
> Windows 10 (loader)......
> Windows Recovery.........."
>
> I selected first option then I got the following -
> [ok] Started Wait for all 'auto"/etc/network/interface
> [ok] Reached target Network is Online
> [ok] Started Set console key....
> [ok] --------
> ----------
> [ok] Satrted udev Kernal Device Manager
> Starting Show Plymouth Boot Screen"
>
> After this I waited for long time but nothing is happening.
>
> I shut down again there is halt at this place. Thank god Win 10 is working.
> Please guide what to do. I cannot approach you through Launchpad.
>
>
>
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 9:24 PM, Brian Murray <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>> Actually, Won't Fix seems most appropriate as we opted not to fix the
>> upgrade path from Trusty to Vivid.
>>
>> ** Changed in: ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu)
>> Status: Fix Committed => Won't Fix
>>
>> --
>> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
>> report.
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1534374
>>
>> Title:
>> unable to upgrade to 15.04 due to libstdc++6 SRU
>>
>> Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader package in Ubuntu:
>> Won't Fix
>>
>> Bug description:
>> initially had a problem with X when i installed a new Nvidia video
>> card. got that working but only one monitor was functioning (other is
>> displayport). Thought maybe upgrading to a new release might fix the
>> problem. Software update only offered 15.04, so I said ok and tried
>> to upgrade. It crashed with the info attached. rebooted just in
>> case, but still get the same problem
>>
>> ProblemType: Bug
>> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
>> Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:0.220.8
>> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.16.0-57.77~14.04.1-generic 3.16.7-ckt20
>> Uname: Linux 3.16.0-57-generic x86_64
>> ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.19
>> Architecture: amd64
>> CrashDB: ubuntu
>> Date: Thu Jan 14 18:38:01 2016
>> InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-03-14 (306 days ago)...

Read more...

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers

Related questions