Bug in Kernel 4.13 : Intel Mobile Graphics 945 shows 80 % black screen

Bug #1724639 reported by Ian Bruntlett on 2017-10-18
132
This bug affects 22 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Linux
Incomplete
Medium
openSUSE
Unknown
Unknown
linux (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

Installed O.S. on Samsung NC10. Display worked O.K. in text mode so the install went smoothly. When the system is rebooted, however, switching to graphics mode results in the below described screen corruption:-

Left Hand Side 80% of screen black with a blue of white pixels and some blue lines at the top
Right Hand Side 20% of screen OK.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 17.10
Package: linux-image-4.13.0-16-generic 4.13.0-16.19
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-16.19-generic 4.13.4
Uname: Linux 4.13.0-16-generic i686
AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.13.0-16-generic.
AplayDevices:
 **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
 card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC272 Analog [ALC272 Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3
Architecture: i386
ArecordDevices:
 **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
 card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC272 Analog [ALC272 Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC0: ian 918 F.... pulseaudio
Card0.Amixer.info:
 Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xf0340000 irq 25'
   Mixer name : 'Realtek ALC272'
   Components : 'HDA:10ec0272,144dca00,00100001'
   Controls : 25
   Simple ctrls : 12
CurrentDesktop: LXDE
Date: Wed Oct 18 18:30:15 2017
HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=c54e130e-6625-4d96-ba75-4efaa6a9da75
InstallationDate: Installed on 2017-10-18 (0 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Release i386 (20171017.1)
MachineType: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. NC10
ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-16-generic root=UUID=d74a58ab-e96e-4531-a2eb-13f0d1610658 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
RelatedPackageVersions:
 linux-restricted-modules-4.13.0-16-generic N/A
 linux-backports-modules-4.13.0-16-generic N/A
 linux-firmware 1.169
SourcePackage: linux
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
dmi.bios.date: 04/14/2009
dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
dmi.bios.version: 07CA.M002.20090414.KTW
dmi.board.name: NC10
dmi.board.vendor: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
dmi.board.version: Not Applicable
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
dmi.chassis.version: N/A
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnPhoenixTechnologiesLtd.:bvr07CA.M002.20090414.KTW:bd04/14/2009:svnSAMSUNGELECTRONICSCO.,LTD.:pnNC10:pvrNotApplicable:rvnSAMSUNGELECTRONICSCO.,LTD.:rnNC10:rvrNotApplicable:cvnSAMSUNGELECTRONICSCO.,LTD.:ct10:cvrN/A:
dmi.product.name: NC10
dmi.product.version: Not Applicable
dmi.sys.vendor: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.

Ian Bruntlett (ian-bruntlett) wrote :
Ian Bruntlett (ian-bruntlett) wrote :

Here is a photo of the problem.

This change was made by a bot.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed

Did this issue start happening after an update/upgrade? Was there a prior kernel version where you were not having this particular problem?

Would it be possible for you to test the latest upstream kernel? Refer to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds . Please test the latest v4.14 kernel[0].

If this bug is fixed in the mainline kernel, please add the following tag 'kernel-fixed-upstream'.

If the mainline kernel does not fix this bug, please add the tag: 'kernel-bug-exists-upstream'.

Once testing of the upstream kernel is complete, please mark this bug as "Confirmed".

Thanks in advance.

[0] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.14-rc5

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Ubuntu QA Website (ubuntuqa) wrote :

This bug has been reported on the Ubuntu ISO testing tracker.

A list of all reports related to this bug can be found here:
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/reports/bugs/1724639

tags: added: iso-testing

Hi Joseph,

On 18 October 2017 at 19:47, Joseph Salisbury <<email address hidden>
m> wrote:

> Did this issue start happening after an update/upgrade? Was there a
> prior kernel version where you were not having this particular problem?
>

I received an e-mail from <email address hidden> with a subject of "A new
build of Lubuntu Alternate i386 is ready for testing!" - referring to
version: 20171017.1, with a link to http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatra
cker/milestones/383/builds/159145/testcases

This was downloaded by me:-
ian@turing:~/isos/2017-10-17.1$ md5sum artful-alternate-i386.iso
6beffce30b77f7c8105bde2c4e4d69b8 artful-alternate-i386.iso

I created install media by running Startup Disc Creator and the above iso.

Booted my Samsung NC10 and installed the lubuntu 32-bit version. During
installation, everything was text mode and O.K. On booting into the system,
as soon as it switched from text mode to graphics mode, I experienced this
graphics corruption:-

Left Hand Side 80% of screen black with a blue of white and some blue at
the top
Right Hand Side 20% of screen OK.

I'm exhausted. I'll do those further tests tomorrow evening.

BW,

Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
-- Free Software page - https://sites.google.com/site/
ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Ian Bruntlett (ian-bruntlett) wrote :

SUMMARY:-
Installed upscreen kernel, still got problems. See below for details:-

Did this on personal computer...
================================
Downloaded these files:-

total 58M
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 11M Oct 19 12:18
linux-headers-4.14.0-041400rc5_4.14.0-041400rc5.201710152230_all.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 657K Oct 19 12:18
linux-headers-4.14.0-041400rc5-generic_4.14.0-041400rc5.201710152230_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 48M Oct 19 12:19
linux-image-4.14.0-041400rc5-generic_4.14.0-041400rc5.201710152230_i386.deb

Put onto flash drive.

Did this on the Samsung NC10 NetBook (hostname "hawking") with the graphics
problem.
====================================================================================
Copied into ~/usk folder on NetBook
Did a sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Rebooted.

Using this kernel:-
===================
Linux hawking 4.14.0-041400rc5-generic #201710152230 SMP Mon Oct 16
02:43:31 UTC 2017 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

When NetBook connected to an external monitor
=============================================
It appears that, when the system is connected to an external monitor, the
graphics corruption doesn't happen. However, the login screen is black with
a mouse pointer. Typed password in blind - no luck. Did it a few times,
eventually managed to login.

On the external monitor, the display is perfect.
On the NetBook screen, it is almost perfect - the task bar at the bottom of
the screen is not present.

Note: with this kernel, the system can't see my Ethernet connection.

When NetBook only using built in screen
=======================================
Boot screen left hand side 80% black with some smudges of text, remainder
20% of screen is black with the occasional part of a kernel message, later
in boot process is blue.
Login screen left hand side 80% black, remainder perfect
Typed password in blind.
Login screen left hand side 80% black, remainder perfect - even part of the
taskbar is visible.
Anomaly - when I do a screen shot by pressing the Print Screen key, when
viewed on my personal computer, the image is *perfect*. I'm no graphics
developer but it suggests to me the frame buffer is OK, so the problem is
something else.

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

tags: added: kernel-bug-exists-upstream
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Confirmed

As I mentioned earlier, when a screenshot is taken of the corrupted screen, a perfect snapshot is produced, suggesting the frame buffer is OK and the problem lies elsewhere.

Kai-Heng Feng (kaihengfeng) wrote :

Does this also happen to 64bit version?

Hi Kal,

On 19 October 2017 at 18:17, Kai-Heng Feng <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Does this also happen to 64bit version?
>

The equipment being tested, a Samsung NC10 Netbook, is a 32-bit device, so
I am unable to test it on that.

For convenience, here are some hardware details:-
Intel Atom N270, 1.66GHz, 32-bit, 2GiB RAM, 149.05 GiB hard drive, no
optical drive, Ethernet and WiFi connections, lubuntu typically installed
via USB flashdrive

HTH

Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

You need to file an upstream bug at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/
Product: DRI
Component: DRM/Intel

Ian Brown (ianbrown) wrote :

I can't add much to this apart from a small amount of personal experience.

A couple of weeks ago, I installed lubuntu 17.04 onto my Samsung NC10. It behaved perfectly.
After 17.10 came out, I selected to upgrade and this problem occurred, exactly as described above.

I am new to Linux, but curious, so I tried all combinations of Xubuntu and Lubuntu from 16.04, 17.04 and 17.10 on clean install and upgrade.

Whatever combo I tried, 17.10 had the same issue and anything else was fine.

Eduard (eddy-spageddy) wrote :

I can confirm the bug too.
After the Xubuntu update from 17.04 to 17.10, the intel mobile graphics is broken.

Moreover, the issue seems to be a little bigger.
The bug here is the same one as bug #1720703 , so Mods please merge the two bugs.
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1720703)
It seems to have nothing to do with the Ubuntu distro, as is is present in Ubuntu Mate,
Ubuntu, Lubuntu und Xubuntu, all Versions 17.10 -- > so this indicates that it is Kernel 4.13
related.

And it seems to affect other distros as well.
The bug also affects OpenSuse, with Kernel 4.13:
https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1058870

So there seems to be something wrong with Kernel 4.13 with the Intel Graphics 945.

In the openSUSE Bug Report, users state that Kernels 4.11 and 4.12 are still working.

I will test that right now and report back.

Thank you Community for all the efforts.

Eduard (eddy-spageddy) wrote :

@kaihengfeng;

I have tried both kernels you proposed, and can confirm what has been stated in the opensuse-Forum:
Both Kernels 4.11 and 4.12 SEEM to be working and show no graphic glitches.

So the first idea would be that something happend within the Kernel transition from 4.12 to 4.13, , but not too easy.
Trying to open differnet Applications with 4.12 shows that there is already something fishy going on with the graphics, e.g. LibreOffice will not start with Kernel 4.12 and I believe it must have to do with the graphics.

This is in accordance with the errors / logs / exceptions posted in the opensuse bug-report.

So for Computers / Laptops / Netbooks using the Intel Mobile 945 Chipsets and Ubuntu 17.10, I would personally recommend the 4.11 Kernel, for I found it to be most stable and all applications I have tested so far do work.

I can help with logs and dmesg if needed, please just tell me what logs you need.

For everyone who has this error, I will show you a workaround so you can still use your computer even after the update to 17.10.
The workaround consists of installing kernel 4.11 and using it.

Enter Grub (which is the startup manager) by holding down the shift key while booting.
If you have Grub showing up on every boot (e.g. if you have a multi OS and also have Win 7/8/10) installed, even better.
Now select Ubuntu ... enhanced options and then select starting up with the 4.10 Kernel (which still should be installed if you have updated from 17.04). If the option to start up with the 4.10 kernel is not available, select recovery mode (which should also work fine, but you have to work with a low resolution then)

In the 4.10 Ubuntu (recovery mode) open your browser and go to this directory:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.11/

under "Build for i386 succeeded" download these 3 files:

linux-headers-4.11.0-041100_4.11.0-041100.201705041534_all.deb
linux-headers-4.11.0-041100-generic_4.11.0-041100.201705041534_i386.deb
linux-image-4.11.0-041100-generic_4.11.0-041100.201705041534_i386.deb

After the download, put those 3 Files in a new, seperate folder, and open the directory with the terminal (right click on the folder --> open in Terminal).

In the Terminal post:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Press enter and wait. The 4.11 Kernel will be installed, it takes a while.
After that, you can reboot your computer and in Grub in the enhanced options you can now start your computer with the 4.11 generic kernel, which works fine for me.

If you want Ubuntu to start up everytime with the 4.11 Kernel, you can use the "Grub Customzier" for that. Here is how you install the grub customizer:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2014/04/install-grub-customizer-ubuntu-1404/

Let's hope that someone in this Linux world can make the Intel Mobile Graphics card work again in a de-bugged 4.13 kernel =)

Cheers and Kudos everyone !

Eduard (eddy-spageddy) on 2017-10-22
summary: - Graphics problem - 80% of the Left hand side of screen solid black
+ Bug in Kernel 4.13 : Intel Mobile Graphics show 80 % black screen
summary: - Bug in Kernel 4.13 : Intel Mobile Graphics show 80 % black screen
+ Bug in Kernel 4.13 : Intel Mobile Graphics 945 shows 80 % black screen
Eduard (eddy-spageddy) on 2017-10-22
affects: linux (Ubuntu) → ubuntu

Hi All,

On 21 October 2017 at 19:38, Kai-Heng Feng <email address hidden>
wrote:

> The it's a regression.
>
> Please try v4.11 [1] and v4.12 [2].
>
> [1] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.11/
> linux-image-4.11.0-041100-generic_4.11.0-041100.201705041534_i386.deb
> [2] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.12/
> linux-image-4.12.0-041200-generic_4.12.0-041200.201707022031_i386.deb

OK, I installed those versions. Did some testing. Here are the results for
kernels 4.11, 4.12, 4.13, 4.14:-

4.11 - display OK, Ethernet (Internet) OK
4.12 - display OK, Ethernet (Internet) OK
4.13 - display problem (80% of the left hand side of screen black with
smudges) occurs, Ethernet (Internet) OK
4.14 - *Very* occasionally the display works. Usually the display problem
(80% of the left hand side of screen black with smudges) occurs

Note: also saw on 4.14 that Internet(Ethernet does not work). The other
kernels (4.11,4.12,4.13) can see ethernet and internet OK.

HTH,

Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Ian Bruntlett (ian-bruntlett) wrote :

Hi All,

Been doing some testing on my Samsung NC10 NetBook.

I can get the display to work OK if I do this:-
* Boot NetBook.
* As soon as Samsung BIOS logo shows, press and the power switch down till
it does a hard power down.
* Switch computer on. Boot messages appear as text, everything just works.

HTH,

Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Kai-Heng Feng (kaihengfeng) wrote :

Please try versions form 4.13-rc1 to 4.13-rc7.

Find the first version that has this issue.

Schoof (andreas-schoof) wrote :

with ideapad S10-2 noplymouth start process runs until tty1-login. After that only blueish pixels appear at the upper edge of the screen. With nomodeset edit in grub the netbook can be used. About 5(?) years ago intel 945 had similar trouble with kernel.

Hi Kai-Heng,

On 23 October 2017 at 08:02, Kai-Heng Feng <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Please try versions form 4.13-rc1 to 4.13-rc7.
>
> Find the first version that has this issue.
>
I'm new to this kernel thing.

I went to http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and found
v4.13-rc1/ <http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.13-rc1/>
through to v4.13-rc7/
<http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.13-rc7/> so downloaded
them.
There is no v4.13-rc5.

Testing on Monday, 23rd October 2017

Started off with these files in ~/isos/2017-10-17.1/upstream-kernel
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 48M Oct 23 10:13
linux-image-4.13.0-041300rc1-generic_4.13.0-041300rc1.201707151931_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 48M Oct 23 10:14
linux-image-4.13.0-041300rc2-generic_4.13.0-041300rc2.201707232231_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 48M Oct 23 10:14
linux-image-4.13.0-041300rc3-generic_4.13.0-041300rc3.201707301631_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 48M Oct 23 10:15
linux-image-4.13.0-041300rc4-generic_4.13.0-041300rc4.201708062231_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 48M Oct 23 10:56
linux-image-4.13.0-041300rc6-generic_4.13.0-041300rc6.201708201831_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 48M Oct 23 10:18
linux-image-4.13.0-041300rc7-generic_4.13.0-041300rc7.201708272131_i386.deb

TESTING 4.13-rc1
* Trackpad and USB Mouse - does not work
* Display - corrupted

TESTING 4.13-rc2
* Trackpad and USB Mouse - does not work
* Display - corrupted

TESTING 4.13-rc3
* Trackpad and USB Mouse - works
* Display - corrupted

TESTING 4.13-rc4
* Trackpad and USB Mouse - works
* Display - corrupted

TESTING 4.13-rc6
* Trackpad and USB Mouse - works
* Display - corrupted

TESTING 4.13-rc7
* Trackpad and USB Mouse - works
* Display - corrupted

Note: on occasion, Internet (Ethernet) access did not work. Due to poor
note-taking, I can't add more than that.
If it is important though, I can re-run the tests and carefully note if the
networking is OK or not.

Can confirm! I have two laptops with Atom n270, both are affected.

My post at AskUbuntu: https://askubuntu.com/questions/969014/part-of-the-screen-desktop-is-black-pic-inside-happens-with-17-10s-on-atom

A copy from my post:

"The mouse is visible on the black part, and i can drag windows from there. Print screen produces a normal pic with all the desktop as it should look like.

I have this problem with 2 atom n270 laptops, With the first one I could "fix" it temproary by connecting an external screen, then switching to CLI (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and back to the gui (Ctrl+Alt+F7). It might be a temporary fix for the second laptop too, just didn't check it.

It happens only in 17.10 versions (Ubuntu, Ubuntu mate, Lubuntu). Previous versions of Ubuntu are fine. Also Windows and Manjaro are fine.

Pic of second laptop having this: https://imgur.com/b6iTmFi

Possible tags: screen, screen black, monitor, laptop, monitor and laptop, monitor display, 17.10, atom, atom n270, n270, intel atom,

I had problems with LIbreofiice too, but only with "Writer", which refuses to open. Calc is working fine.

My laptop is working now. I don't know how (One of them at least). I don't remember that I've done anything to it. I was using windows...

affects: ubuntu → linux (Ubuntu)
Lukasz Pozniak (rox-lukas) wrote :

I have the same exact issue on Acer Aspire One A110 (ZG5). In my case this happened after upgrade from 17.04 to 17.10. The workarounds are either pass nomodeset option to kernel at boot, or just choose the previous kernel (4.10 in my case). The latter solution gives me correct 1024x600 resolution and is preferred until this problem is resolved.

Eugene Romanenko (eros2) wrote :

Have same issue on Fujitsu M2010 laptop.

Same issue after upgrade from Xubuntu 17.04 to 17.10 32 bits on Samsung NC10.
So I still use 4.10.0-37-generic xubuntu 17.04 kernel.
But Booting on 17.10 xubuntu 32 bits live CD works.

Eugene Romanenko (eros2) wrote :

Just found some sort of workaround - boot to login screen (gdm) which is 80% invisible and press Power button. Notebook going to suspend. Press Power button again - notebook waking up and screen is ok!

John Roe (johndroe) wrote :

I can confirm that this works on the Samsung NC10 too. I had to start up first in the previous version of the Kernel and set the function of the Power Button to suspend ( it was set to power off.

Gerald Huber (ge-huber) wrote :

I can confirm the bug occurring after an upgrade from Lubuntu 17.04 to 17.10 on a HP Mini 5101 Netbook.

Eduard (eddy-spageddy) wrote :

@kaihengfeng

Just installed the 4.14 Kernel that you linked.
The bug is still present in this kernel version.

Eduard (eddy-spageddy) wrote :

@ Everyone confirming this bug... Please click on "This bug affects me" on the top of the page (right underneath the title in small and green). Thank you =)

Steve (spinal) wrote :

I got it working in Arch without downgrading the kernel it may work for Ubuntu as well.
Edit the grub file and comment the following entry;
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
Then rebuild the grub

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Reboot and enjoy
I was going to settle for running lts but this works for my setup no issues at all.

Kai-Heng Feng (kaihengfeng) wrote :

Does "GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text" make the issue reappear?

Steve (spinal) wrote :

No the issue does not reappear

Robert V. (robertvalik) wrote :

Toshiba NB100, screen resolution 1024x600, after upgrading to kernel 4.13.0-16 (from 4.10.0-37) also affected. VGA:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Workaround with GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text seems to be working.

inugami (inugami-mamoru) wrote :

I have edited /etc/default/grub on my EeePC-901X as "GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text".
Then, I rebuild grub by sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

It seems to be fine and well working on my EeePC 901.

Schoof (andreas-schoof) wrote :

"GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text" works with ideapad S10-2 (Atom with Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller rev 03) after kicking out noplymouth für quiet splash.

John Roe (johndroe) wrote :

Can someone help me out how to do this edit. As I have never edited a GRUB before.I'm not even sure what the GRUB is
If I press e is this giving me the GRUB?
Where do I insert the Line GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text?
Do I then Ctrl_x and go to terminal to do the sudo bit?
Or should I be editing a file from the terminal?

Eugene Romanenko (eros2) wrote :

John, from the terminal issue command

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Simple editor 'nano' will open.
Add line
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
at the end of file.

Save file and exit from nano.

issue command:

sudo update-grub

reboot.

Ian Bruntlett (ian-bruntlett) wrote :

Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply. I have been somewhat distracted by a physical
illness

As others have done, I set a GRUB variable with the line:-
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text

I also commented out the line that set the GRUB variable
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0

With those changes in place,
1. Graphics problems disappear.
2. It is easier to choose a particular kernel at boot time

However, in last week's testing I noticed a few problems with other
kernels. I'll summarise my notes because I tested about 11 kernels.

The 4.14.-041400rc5-generic kernel doesn't have network access - both
ethernet and Wi-Fi don't work.

There was a temporary regression in 4.13.0-0413rc1-generic
and4.13.0-0413rc2-generic where the trackpad doesn't work.

HTH,

Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Eugene Romanenko (eros2) wrote :

Ian,

From other bugs comments where users also tried 4.14 kernel, I noticed network problem is really apport issue. Boot kernel with apport=0 cmdline option, and network should work.

John Roe (johndroe) wrote :

Thanks to Eugene for his assistance.
I can confirm that adding the line to the GRUB fixes the problem on the Samsung NC10.

Ian Bruntlett (ian-bruntlett) wrote :

Hi John,

On 1 November 2017 at 17:08, John Roe <email address hidden> wrote:

> Can someone help me out how to do this edit. As I have never edited a GRUB
> before.I'm not even sure what the GRUB is
> If I press e is this giving me the GRUB?
>

I had that problem as well :) I'll do my best to explain things. If I
over-explain things, I apologise, if I under-explain things, ask me to
clarify things.

The Linux kernel is the very core of Linux, it handles the hardware on
behalf of the programs we want to run.

GRUB is the "Grand Unified Bootloader" GRUB is a rather accomplished system
to handle booting things - typically a Linux kernel or memtest86+.
It can do many things and even has a built-in scripting language for
flexibility. The manual can be found here:-
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#Top

With lubuntu, GRUB is used to load a Linux kernel. If you want to see the
GRUB menu when booting your computer, switch it on and press both SHIFT
keys down and you should see a menu. With at least these two options:
* Ubuntu
* Advanced Options for Ubuntu

If you highlight the "Ubuntu" option and press 'e' you will see a GRUB
script specific to that kernel. Most of that stuff can be ignored. The line
beginning with the word linux is the interesting one - see
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#linux for full
details. Basically, you can edit that line to send information to the
kernel or tell it to do something differently. For instance, I've been
doing that recently to stop the arguments quiet and splash being passed to
the kernel

If you want to run a different kernel to the default on your system, select
"Advanced Options for Ubuntu", you will get a list of available kernels you
can run them as-is or you can highlight your preferred kernel and press 'e'
if you want to change the parameters passed to the kernel.

> Where do I insert the Line GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text?
> Do I then Ctrl_x and go to terminal to do the sudo bit?
> Or should I be editing a file from the terminal?
>
Eugene has already answered that :)

HTH,

Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Ian Bruntlett (ian-bruntlett) wrote :

Hi Eugene,

On 1 November 2017 at 17:41, Eugene Romanenko <email address hidden>
wrote:

> >From other bugs comments where users also tried 4.14 kernel, I noticed
> network problem is really apport issue. Boot kernel with apport=0
> cmdline option, and network should work.
>

Edited /etc/default/grub. Made apport=0 a default parameter. Booted kernel
4.14 .0-041400rc5-generic. Still no networking. Did a cat /proc/cmdline to
make sure the parameter was being passed to the kernel. It was.

Which kernel(s) are you using?

BW,

Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Eugene Romanenko (eros2) wrote :

Ian, sorry, I mixed up apport with apparmor!
"apparmor=0" kernel parameter

Here comment about kernel 4.14
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1720219/comments/39

Ian Bruntlett (ian-bruntlett) wrote :

Hi Eugene,

On 1 November 2017 at 19:05, Eugene Romanenko <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Ian, sorry, I mixed up apport with apparmor!
> "apparmor=0" kernel parameter
>
OK. Tried that. It fixed things.

Here comment about kernel 4.14
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1720219/comments/39

Thanks :)

Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Thank for the grub fix! It worked (My laptop used to work occassionlly).
What does this setting do?

I can confirm that the GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text fix works on my Acer Aspire One (N214) after upgrading Lubuntu from 17.04 to 17.10.

jojo (j0j0) wrote :

confirm GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
line made HP mini work
(lubuntu 4.13.0-16 kernel fresh install) intel 945 graphics

Gianlo (gianlo) wrote :

Hello,
same problem with MSI u123H with atom processor, linux 4.13.0-16

for me GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
doesn't solve the problem

i have to boot in recovery mode and all works fine

Download full text (3.7 KiB)

> On 7 Nov 2017, at 8:09 PM, Gianlo <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> same problem with MSI u123H with atom processor, linux 4.13.0-16
>
> for me GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
> doesn't solve the problem
>
> i have to boot in recovery mode and all works fine

Because recovery mode add “nomodeset” kernel parameter.

Please file an upstream bug, as I mentioned in comment #11.

>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to linux
> in Ubuntu.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1724639
>
> Title:
> Bug in Kernel 4.13 : Intel Mobile Graphics 945 shows 80 % black screen
>
> Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in openSUSE:
> Unknown
>
> Bug description:
> Installed O.S. on Samsung NC10. Display worked O.K. in text mode so
> the install went smoothly. When the system is rebooted, however,
> switching to graphics mode results in the below described screen
> corruption:-
>
> Left Hand Side 80% of screen black with a blue of white pixels and some blue lines at the top
> Right Hand Side 20% of screen OK.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 17.10
> Package: linux-image-4.13.0-16-generic 4.13.0-16.19
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-16.19-generic 4.13.4
> Uname: Linux 4.13.0-16-generic i686
> AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.13.0-16-generic.
> AplayDevices:
> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC272 Analog [ALC272 Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3
> Architecture: i386
> ArecordDevices:
> **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC272 Analog [ALC272 Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0: ian 918 F.... pulseaudio
> Card0.Amixer.info:
> Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xf0340000 irq 25'
> Mixer name : 'Realtek ALC272'
> Components : 'HDA:10ec0272,144dca00,00100001'
> Controls : 25
> Simple ctrls : 12
> CurrentDesktop: LXDE
> Date: Wed Oct 18 18:30:15 2017
> HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=c54e130e-6625-4d96-ba75-4efaa6a9da75
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2017-10-18 (0 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Release i386 (20171017.1)
> MachineType: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. NC10
> ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-16-generic root=UUID=d74a58ab-e96e-4531-a2eb-13f0d1610658 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> linux-restricted-modules-4.13.0-16-generic N/A
> linux-backports-modules-4.13.0-16-generic N/A
> linux-firmware 1.169
> SourcePackage: linux
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> dmi.bios.date: 04/14/2009
> dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
> dmi.bios.version: 07CA.M002.20090414.KTW
> dmi.board.name: NC10
> dmi.board.vendor: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
> dmi.board.version: Not Applicable
> dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
> dmi.chassis.type: 10
...

Read more...

tom (akkermans-tom) wrote :

I can confirm the bug too.

Device: Acer Aspire One D250; 2GB ram; Atom processor
Graphics: onboard Intel 945 express

Bug only appears in version 17.10, not in version 16.04.
I will now try the workaround

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0

and post the results here

tom (akkermans-tom) wrote :

Update: since my current version is an LTS (16.04), i will stick with it and only upgrade when 18.04 is released, so hopefully the bug is fixed in this upcoming LTS! I have lost too much time on this bug already, but i will come here once and a while to see if it gets definitely fixed.
Cheers

Download full text (3.8 KiB)

> On 9 Nov 2017, at 3:50 AM, tom <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Update: since my current version is an LTS (16.04), i will stick with it and only upgrade when 18.04 is released, so hopefully the bug is fixed in this upcoming LTS! I have lost too much time on this bug already, but i will come here once and a while to see if it gets definitely fixed.
> Cheers

It will be broken if no one is going to solve the issue.

I’ll start a kernel bisection and file an upstream bug when we found the commits that causes the regression.

>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to linux
> in Ubuntu.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1724639
>
> Title:
> Bug in Kernel 4.13 : Intel Mobile Graphics 945 shows 80 % black screen
>
> Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in openSUSE:
> Unknown
>
> Bug description:
> Installed O.S. on Samsung NC10. Display worked O.K. in text mode so
> the install went smoothly. When the system is rebooted, however,
> switching to graphics mode results in the below described screen
> corruption:-
>
> Left Hand Side 80% of screen black with a blue of white pixels and some blue lines at the top
> Right Hand Side 20% of screen OK.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 17.10
> Package: linux-image-4.13.0-16-generic 4.13.0-16.19
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-16.19-generic 4.13.4
> Uname: Linux 4.13.0-16-generic i686
> AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.13.0-16-generic.
> AplayDevices:
> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC272 Analog [ALC272 Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3
> Architecture: i386
> ArecordDevices:
> **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC272 Analog [ALC272 Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0: ian 918 F.... pulseaudio
> Card0.Amixer.info:
> Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xf0340000 irq 25'
> Mixer name : 'Realtek ALC272'
> Components : 'HDA:10ec0272,144dca00,00100001'
> Controls : 25
> Simple ctrls : 12
> CurrentDesktop: LXDE
> Date: Wed Oct 18 18:30:15 2017
> HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=c54e130e-6625-4d96-ba75-4efaa6a9da75
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2017-10-18 (0 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Release i386 (20171017.1)
> MachineType: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. NC10
> ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-16-generic root=UUID=d74a58ab-e96e-4531-a2eb-13f0d1610658 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> linux-restricted-modules-4.13.0-16-generic N/A
> linux-backports-modules-4.13.0-16-generic N/A
> linux-firmware 1.169
> SourcePackage: linux
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> dmi.bios.date: 04/14/2009
> dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
> dmi.bios.version: 07CA.M002.20090414.KTW
> dmi.board.name: NC10
> dmi...

Read more...

Kai-Heng Feng (kaihengfeng) wrote :

Please try this kernel,
http://people.canonical.com/~khfeng/lp1724639-1/

13 more kernels to test.

Ian Bruntlett (ian-bruntlett) wrote :

Hi,

Do you prefer being called Kal-Heng?

On 9 November 2017 at 06:28, Kai-Heng Feng <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Please try this kernel,
> http://people.canonical.com/~khfeng/lp1724639-1/
>
> 13 more kernels to test.
>

SUMMARY
=========
I have tried the above kernel and the graphics bug does _not_ happen.
Looking forward to testing another kernel.

I am not familiar with Linux kernels and command line package handling
(dpkg) but I can get by with 1) helpful suggestions and 2) looking at
man/info pages.

Also: I am very keen to help you track down this bug.

DETAILS
=======
These files were downloaded on my computer (turing):-

ian@turing:~/isos/khfeng/2017-11-09$ ls -lhrt
total 57M
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 936K Nov 9 11:12
linux-firmware-image-4.12.0_4.12.0-3_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 11M Nov 9 11:12
linux-headers-4.12.0_4.12.0-3_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 46M Nov 9 11:12 linux-image-4.12.0_4.12.0-3_i386.deb

Installed kernel on my Samsung NC10 Netbook (hawking) by copying the 3 debs
you provided and typing:-
dpkg -i *.deb

Modified my copy of /etc/default/grub to comment out this variable:-
#GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text

Did: sudo update-grub

FIRST TEST
==========
Rebooted. Went into the GRUB sub-menu, "Advanced options for Ubuntu" .
Selected kernel 4.12.0 from the list.
It booted with no graphics problems at all.
Did uname -a. Got Linux hawking 4.12.0 # 3 SMP Thu 9 05:53:31 UTC 2017 i686
i686 i686 GNU/Linux

SECOND TEST
============
Rebooted. Went for kernel 4.14.0-04140045-generic
The graphics problem reoccurred.

THIRD TEST
==========
Did the first test again. No change - no graphics problem.

HTH,

Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Gianlo (gianlo) on 2017-11-11
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → In Progress
Robb (v-g) wrote :

Like jojo said in #49 GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text solves the problem.

some more info:
This bug affects me after a fresh installation of lubuntu-17.10-desktop-i386 on a HP Mini 5101.

installation uses kernel 4.13.0-16-generic.

lspci:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller rev 0

Kernel 4.11.0-041100_4.11.0-041100.201705041534 works fine.

grub option GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep does not work, same problem comes back

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text solves the problem for me!

dino99 (9d9) on 2017-11-11
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Confirmed
Gianlo (gianlo) wrote :

Update:
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text solve the problem, I had made a typing error

Kai-Heng Feng (kaihengfeng) wrote :

Sorry for the late reply, please try this kernel,

http://people.canonical.com/~khfeng/lp1724639-2/

Ian Bruntlett (ian-bruntlett) wrote :

Hi,

On 14 November 2017 at 07:22, Kai-Heng Feng <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Sorry for the late reply, please try this kernel,
>
> http://people.canonical.com/~khfeng/lp1724639-2/

No problem. These are the files I downloaded:-
total 58M
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 936K Nov 15 18:37
linux-firmware-image-4.12.0_4.12.0-4_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 11M Nov 15 18:37
linux-headers-4.12.0_4.12.0-4_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 46M Nov 15 18:37 linux-image-4.12.0_4.12.0-4_i386.deb

To work out which kernel was being installed I did:-
dpkg-deb -c linux-image-4.12.0_4.12.0-4_i386.deb

Looks like kernel '4.12' is being installed.

Booted system with kernel 4.12. The graphics problem did _not_ occur.
Did uname -a. Got:-
Linux hawking 4.12.0 #4 SMP Fri Nov 10 04:04:10 EST 2017 i686 i686 i686
GNU/Linux

IDEA. Given that setting the GRUB environment variable
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX to text solves the problem, could this be happening:-
* That GRUB is doing something different with its handling of graphics
* That the Kernel's graphic driver is taking advantage of some graphics
mode setting that GRUB was doing before, but now no longer does?

HTH :)

Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Download full text (5.5 KiB)

Next one is here:
http://people.canonical.com/~khfeng/lp1724639-3/

Current `git bisect log`:

git bisect start
# good: [6f7da290413ba713f0cdd9ff1a2a9bb129ef4f6c] Linux 4.12
git bisect good 6f7da290413ba713f0cdd9ff1a2a9bb129ef4f6c
# bad: [5771a8c08880cdca3bfb4a3fc6d309d6bba20877] Linux v4.13-rc1
git bisect bad 5771a8c08880cdca3bfb4a3fc6d309d6bba20877
# good: [e5f76a2e0e84ca2a215ecbf6feae88780d055c56] Merge branch 'for-linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ebiederm/user-namespace
git bisect good e5f76a2e0e84ca2a215ecbf6feae88780d055c56
# good: [bd78acad8e866e1167f9de97c9b090ee6c2c96a7] parisc: move generic-y of exported headers to uapi/asm/Kbuild
git bisect good bd78acad8e866e1167f9de97c9b090ee6c2c96a7

> On 16 Nov 2017, at 3:58 AM, Ian Bruntlett <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 14 November 2017 at 07:22, Kai-Heng Feng <email address hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the late reply, please try this kernel,
>>
>> http://people.canonical.com/~khfeng/lp1724639-2/
>
>
> No problem. These are the files I downloaded:-
> total 58M
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 936K Nov 15 18:37
> linux-firmware-image-4.12.0_4.12.0-4_i386.deb
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 11M Nov 15 18:37
> linux-headers-4.12.0_4.12.0-4_i386.deb
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 46M Nov 15 18:37 linux-image-4.12.0_4.12.0-4_i386.deb
>
> To work out which kernel was being installed I did:-
> dpkg-deb -c linux-image-4.12.0_4.12.0-4_i386.deb
>
> Looks like kernel '4.12' is being installed.
>
> Booted system with kernel 4.12. The graphics problem did _not_ occur.
> Did uname -a. Got:-
> Linux hawking 4.12.0 #4 SMP Fri Nov 10 04:04:10 EST 2017 i686 i686 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> IDEA. Given that setting the GRUB environment variable
> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX to text solves the problem, could this be happening:-
> * That GRUB is doing something different with its handling of graphics
> * That the Kernel's graphic driver is taking advantage of some graphics
> mode setting that GRUB was doing before, but now no longer does?
>
> HTH :)
>
>
> Ian
>
> --
> -- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
> -- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
> -- Free Software page -
> https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to linux
> in Ubuntu.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1724639
>
> Title:
> Bug in Kernel 4.13 : Intel Mobile Graphics 945 shows 80 % black screen
>
> Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in openSUSE:
> Unknown
>
> Bug description:
> Installed O.S. on Samsung NC10. Display worked O.K. in text mode so
> the install went smoothly. When the system is rebooted, however,
> switching to graphics mode results in the below described screen
> corruption:-
>
> Left Hand Side 80% of screen black with a blue of white pixels and some blue lines at the top
> Right Hand Side 20% of screen OK.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 17.10
> Package: linux-image-4.13.0-16-generic 4.13.0-16.19
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-16.19-generic 4.13.4
> Uname: Linux 4.13.0-16-generic i686
> AlsaVersion: Advance...

Read more...

Eduard (eddy-spageddy) wrote :

Hey @Kaihengfeng,

I tried your kernel from Post #61,

http://people.canonical.com/~khfeng/lp1724639-3/

The graphic error is present in this kernel !

Download full text (3.6 KiB)

The next one:

http://people.canonical.com/~khfeng/lp1724639-4/

> On 20 Nov 2017, at 8:25 PM, Eduard <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Hey @Kaihengfeng,
>
> I tried your kernel from Post #61,
>
> http://people.canonical.com/~khfeng/lp1724639-3/
>
>
> The graphic error is present in this kernel !
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to linux
> in Ubuntu.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1724639
>
> Title:
> Bug in Kernel 4.13 : Intel Mobile Graphics 945 shows 80 % black screen
>
> Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in openSUSE:
> Unknown
>
> Bug description:
> Installed O.S. on Samsung NC10. Display worked O.K. in text mode so
> the install went smoothly. When the system is rebooted, however,
> switching to graphics mode results in the below described screen
> corruption:-
>
> Left Hand Side 80% of screen black with a blue of white pixels and some blue lines at the top
> Right Hand Side 20% of screen OK.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 17.10
> Package: linux-image-4.13.0-16-generic 4.13.0-16.19
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-16.19-generic 4.13.4
> Uname: Linux 4.13.0-16-generic i686
> AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.13.0-16-generic.
> AplayDevices:
> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC272 Analog [ALC272 Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3
> Architecture: i386
> ArecordDevices:
> **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC272 Analog [ALC272 Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0: ian 918 F.... pulseaudio
> Card0.Amixer.info:
> Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xf0340000 irq 25'
> Mixer name : 'Realtek ALC272'
> Components : 'HDA:10ec0272,144dca00,00100001'
> Controls : 25
> Simple ctrls : 12
> CurrentDesktop: LXDE
> Date: Wed Oct 18 18:30:15 2017
> HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=c54e130e-6625-4d96-ba75-4efaa6a9da75
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2017-10-18 (0 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Release i386 (20171017.1)
> MachineType: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. NC10
> ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-16-generic root=UUID=d74a58ab-e96e-4531-a2eb-13f0d1610658 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> linux-restricted-modules-4.13.0-16-generic N/A
> linux-backports-modules-4.13.0-16-generic N/A
> linux-firmware 1.169
> SourcePackage: linux
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> dmi.bios.date: 04/14/2009
> dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
> dmi.bios.version: 07CA.M002.20090414.KTW
> dmi.board.name: NC10
> dmi.board.vendor: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
> dmi.board.version: Not Applicable
> dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
> dmi.chassis.type: 10
> dmi.chassis.vendor: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
> dmi.chassis.version: N/A
> d...

Read more...

Eduard (eddy-spageddy) wrote :

Hey @Kaihengfeng,

I tried your kernel from Post #63,

http://people.canonical.com/~khfeng/lp1724639-4/

With this kernel, the computer will not boot up, but hangs on "loading initialized Ramdisk"

Ian Bruntlett (ian-bruntlett) wrote :

Hi,

Tested two kernels this evening. Here are the summarised details...

Testing 21st November 2017

*Installs as kernel 4.12.0*
total 58M
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 936K Nov 21 20:08
linux-firmware-image-4.12.0_4.12.0-6_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 11M Nov 21 20:09
linux-headers-4.12.0_4.12.0-6_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 46M Nov 21 20:09 linux-image-4.12.0_4.12.0-6_i386.deb
This kernel has the graphics problem.

*Installs as kernel 4.12.0-rc3*
total 57M
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 936K Nov 21 20:10
linux-firmware-image-4.12.0-rc3_4.12.0-rc3-7_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 11M Nov 21 20:10
linux-headers-4.12.0-rc3_4.12.0-rc3-7_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 46M Nov 21 20:11
linux-image-4.12.0-rc3_4.12.0-rc3-7_i386.deb
This kernel hangs after displaying these two lines:-
Loading Linux 4.12-rc3 ...
Loading initial ramdisk ...

The (recovery mode) of the above kernel hangs as well
It displays these lines OK
Loading Linux 4.12-rc3 ...
Loading initial ramdisk ...
And then the kernel hangs, as before.

HTH,

Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Kai-Heng Feng (kaihengfeng) wrote :

Right, then we need to do a bisection inside this bisection step, to find out the regression.

Changed in linux:
importance: Unknown → Medium
status: Unknown → Incomplete
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.