package linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed) failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2

Bug #586142 reported by enaction on 2010-05-27
16
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
grub2 (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

After linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic was initially installed after a routine update the nvidia graphics would no longer boot from the grub leaving me stuck low graphics mode error showing because the driver wasn't loaded. Linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic had no such problem and loaded my nivida graphics drivers in their proper resolution mode. I tried to reinstall linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic and that's where the crash report was generated because it failed to reinstall properly. I've now completely removed linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic leaving only the fully-functional linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic.

There's seems to be a problem in linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic and my nvidia driver causing the system to boot from grub into low graphics mode because the driver doesn't get loaded.

I'm glad the crash report got generated and I hope it helps other who might be having a similar problem

ProblemType: Package
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
Package: linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed)
Regression: Yes
Reproducible: No
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-21.32-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-21-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
AptOrdering:
 linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic: Install
 linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic: Install
 linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic: Configure
 linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic: Configure
Architecture: amd64
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC0: enaction 1330 F.... pulseaudio
CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Card0.Amixer.info:
 Card hw:0 'NVidia'/'HDA NVidia at 0xfe024000 irq 22'
   Mixer name : 'Realtek ALC883'
   Components : 'HDA:10ec0883,103c2a3a,00100002'
   Controls : 37
   Simple ctrls : 21
Date: Wed May 26 16:40:45 2010
ErrorMessage: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Frequency: I don't know.
HibernationDevice: RESUME=/dev/sda4
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64 (20100429)
MachineType: HP Pavilion 061 ER890AA-ABA a1410n
ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=UUID=5a236fc1-a44f-4740-843a-b5ace9ed9b64 ro quiet splash
RelatedPackageVersions: linux-firmware 1.34
SourcePackage: linux
Title: package linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed) failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
dmi.bios.date: 09/19/2006
dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
dmi.bios.version: 3.11
dmi.board.name: NAGAMI
dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTek Computer INC.
dmi.board.version: 1.02
dmi.chassis.type: 3
dmi.chassis.version: 1111
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnPhoenixTechnologies,LTD:bvr3.11:bd09/19/2006:svnHPPavilion061:pnER890AA-ABAa1410n:pvr0nx1114RE101NAGAM00:rvnASUSTekComputerINC.:rnNAGAMI:rvr1.02:cvn:ct3:cvr1111:
dmi.product.name: ER890AA-ABA a1410n
dmi.product.version: 0nx1114RE101NAGAM00
dmi.sys.vendor: HP Pavilion 061

enaction (enaction) wrote :
tags: added: kj-triage
John Baptist (jepst79) wrote :

Can this problem be fixed by executing:

sudo /usr/lib/dkms_autoinstaller start `uname -r`

?

Download full text (4.6 KiB)

Hi Jeff. I managed to reinstall package linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic okay but still have an intermittent problem with my Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE drivers loading. After the grub initiates I get a failure to load the nivida drive message and must login in low graphics mode. The drivers will however then load with a 'sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart'.

Apparently from the posts I've seen there is a whole lot of folks having the same low graphics mode driver issue.

Will 'sudo /usr/lib/dkms_autoinstaller start `uname -r` help with the low graphics mode problem?

- Dennis

--- On Wed, 7/14/10, Jeff Epstein <email address hidden> wrote:

> From: Jeff Epstein <email address hidden>
> Subject: [Bug 586142] Re: package linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed) failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
> To: <email address hidden>
> Date: Wednesday, July 14, 2010, 6:39 PM
> Can this problem be fixed by
> executing:
>
> sudo /usr/lib/dkms_autoinstaller start `uname -r`
>
> ?
>
> --
> package linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed)
> failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed
> post-installation script returned error exit status 2
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/586142
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct
> subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu: New
>
> Bug description:
> After linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic was initially installed
> after a routine update the nvidia graphics would no longer
> boot from the grub leaving me stuck low graphics mode error
> showing because the driver wasn't loaded.
> Linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic had no such problem and loaded
> my nivida graphics drivers in their proper resolution
> mode.  I tried to reinstall
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic and that's where the crash
> report was generated because it failed to reinstall
> properly.  I've now completely removed
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic leaving only the
> fully-functional linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic.
>
> There's seems to be  a problem in
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic and my nvidia driver causing
> the system to boot from grub into low graphics mode because
> the driver doesn't get loaded.
>
> I'm glad the crash report got generated and I hope it helps
> other who might be having a similar problem
>
> ProblemType: Package
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
> Package: linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed)
> Regression: Yes
> Reproducible: No
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-21.32-generic
> 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
> Uname: Linux 2.6.32-21-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver
> Version 1.0.21.
> AptOrdering:
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic: Install
> linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic: Install
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic: Configure
> linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic: Configure
> Architecture: amd64
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0:  enaction   1330
> F.... pulseaudio
> CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
> Card0.Amixer.info:
> Card hw:0 'NVidia'/'HDA NVidia at 0xfe024000 irq 22'
>    Mixer name...

Read more...

John Baptist (jepst79) wrote :

"Low graphics mode" is a symptom that can have many causes. The command I suggested might fix; I don't know. Please reproduce the error and attach your Xorg.0.log file; it should contain information about why the driver wasn't loaded.

enaction (enaction) wrote :
Download full text (4.4 KiB)

Many thanks, Jeff.  Xorg.0.log is attached after Nvidia divers failed to load and I needed to restart x server to get out of low graphics mode.

P.S I've used a couple of past older versions of Ubuntu on this computer with no Nvidia low graphic mode problems. Its new

- Dennis

--- On Wed, 7/14/10, Jeff Epstein <email address hidden> wrote:

> From: Jeff Epstein <email address hidden>
> Subject: [Bug 586142] Re: package linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed) failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
> To: <email address hidden>
> Date: Wednesday, July 14, 2010, 10:56 PM
> "Low graphics mode" is a symptom that
> can have many causes. The command
> I suggested might fix; I don't know. Please reproduce the
> error and
> attach your Xorg.0.log file; it should contain information
> about why the
> driver wasn't loaded.
>
> --
> package linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed)
> failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed
> post-installation script returned error exit status 2
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/586142
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct
> subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu: New
>
> Bug description:
> After linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic was initially installed
> after a routine update the nvidia graphics would no longer
> boot from the grub leaving me stuck low graphics mode error
> showing because the driver wasn't loaded.
> Linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic had no such problem and loaded
> my nivida graphics drivers in their proper resolution
> mode.  I tried to reinstall
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic and that's where the crash
> report was generated because it failed to reinstall
> properly.  I've now completely removed
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic leaving only the
> fully-functional linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic.
>
> There's seems to be  a problem in
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic and my nvidia driver causing
> the system to boot from grub into low graphics mode because
> the driver doesn't get loaded.
>
> I'm glad the crash report got generated and I hope it helps
> other who might be having a similar problem
>
> ProblemType: Package
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
> Package: linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed)
> Regression: Yes
> Reproducible: No
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-21.32-generic
> 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
> Uname: Linux 2.6.32-21-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver
> Version 1.0.21.
> AptOrdering:
>  linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic: Install
>  linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic: Install
>  linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic: Configure
>  linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic: Configure
> Architecture: amd64
> AudioDevicesInUse:
>  USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
>  /dev/snd/controlC0:  enaction   1330
> F.... pulseaudio
> CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
> Card0.Amixer.info:
>  Card hw:0 'NVidia'/'HDA NVidia at 0xfe024000 irq 22'
>    Mixer name    : 'Realtek
> ALC883'
>    Components    :
> 'HDA:10ec0883,103c2a3a,00100002'
>    Controls      : 37
>    Simple ctrls  : 21
> Date: Wed May 26 16...

Read more...

John Baptist (jepst79) wrote :

Well, in Xorg.0.log it says:

(EE) Jul 17 12:25:31 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
(EE) Jul 17 12:25:31 NVIDIA(0): system's kernel log for additional error messages and
(EE) Jul 17 12:25:31 NVIDIA(0): consult the NVIDIA README for details.

So the kernel log is the next place to look.

enaction (enaction) wrote :
Download full text (4.4 KiB)

kern.log is attached... my nvidia drivers failed to load today to that info should be in the 07/18/10 current log.

--- On Sat, 7/17/10, Jeff Epstein <email address hidden> wrote:

> From: Jeff Epstein <email address hidden>
> Subject: [Bug 586142] Re: package linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed) failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
> To: <email address hidden>
> Date: Saturday, July 17, 2010, 9:19 PM
> Well, in Xorg.0.log it says:
>
> (EE) Jul 17 12:25:31 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the
> NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
> (EE) Jul 17 12:25:31 NVIDIA(0):
>    system's kernel log for additional error
> messages and
> (EE) Jul 17 12:25:31 NVIDIA(0):
>    consult the NVIDIA README for details.
>
> So the kernel log is the next place to look.
>
> --
> package linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed)
> failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed
> post-installation script returned error exit status 2
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/586142
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct
> subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu: New
>
> Bug description:
> After linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic was initially installed
> after a routine update the nvidia graphics would no longer
> boot from the grub leaving me stuck low graphics mode error
> showing because the driver wasn't loaded.
> Linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic had no such problem and loaded
> my nivida graphics drivers in their proper resolution
> mode.  I tried to reinstall
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic and that's where the crash
> report was generated because it failed to reinstall
> properly.  I've now completely removed
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic leaving only the
> fully-functional linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic.
>
> There's seems to be  a problem in
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic and my nvidia driver causing
> the system to boot from grub into low graphics mode because
> the driver doesn't get loaded.
>
> I'm glad the crash report got generated and I hope it helps
> other who might be having a similar problem
>
> ProblemType: Package
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
> Package: linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed)
> Regression: Yes
> Reproducible: No
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-21.32-generic
> 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
> Uname: Linux 2.6.32-21-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver
> Version 1.0.21.
> AptOrdering:
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic: Install
> linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic: Install
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic: Configure
> linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic: Configure
> Architecture: amd64
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0:  enaction   1330
> F.... pulseaudio
> CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
> Card0.Amixer.info:
> Card hw:0 'NVidia'/'HDA NVidia at 0xfe024000 irq 22'
>    Mixer name    : 'Realtek
> ALC883'
>    Components    :
> 'HDA:10ec0883,103c2a3a,00100002'
>    Controls      : 37
>    Simple ctrls  : 21
> Date: Wed May 26 16:40:45 2010
> ErrorMessage: subprocess installed post-inst...

Read more...

John Baptist (jepst79) wrote :

I don't see anything odd in kern.log. Sorry, but I don't know what the problem is.

enaction (enaction) wrote :
Download full text (4.9 KiB)

Jeff, Many thanks for taking the time to check this out. On this 64 bit computer I'm using a 64 bit dual boot grub with a 32 bit winXP OS (shouldn't be a problem, right). Yet rebooting from winXP to Ubuntu seems to trigger the low graphics mode most every time which restarting the x server seems to temporarily solve making it only a nuisance problem. This doesn't normally occur when rebooting from Lucid with x server loaded properly from the last reboot.

Seems the problem started with introduction of grub 2 (don't know). During installation the initial 64 bit release of Lucid gave me a blank screen necessitating changing the "silent splash" to "nomodeset" in grub; an indication something is faulty. On my end then there was something buggy about the latest Lucid update in relation to my Nvidia driver from the get-go down to the crash report generated when updating to linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic.

Hope this info helps you guys in some small way. - Dennis

--- On Tue, 7/20/10, Jeff Epstein <email address hidden> wrote:

> From: Jeff Epstein <email address hidden>
> Subject: [Bug 586142] Re: package linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed) failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
> To: <email address hidden>
> Date: Tuesday, July 20, 2010, 9:41 AM
> I don't see anything odd in kern.log.
> Sorry, but I don't know what the
> problem is.
>
> --
> package linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed)
> failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed
> post-installation script returned error exit status 2
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/586142
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct
> subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu: New
>
> Bug description:
> After linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic was initially installed
> after a routine update the nvidia graphics would no longer
> boot from the grub leaving me stuck low graphics mode error
> showing because the driver wasn't loaded.
> Linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic had no such problem and loaded
> my nivida graphics drivers in their proper resolution
> mode.  I tried to reinstall
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic and that's where the crash
> report was generated because it failed to reinstall
> properly.  I've now completely removed
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic leaving only the
> fully-functional linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic.
>
> There's seems to be  a problem in
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic and my nvidia driver causing
> the system to boot from grub into low graphics mode because
> the driver doesn't get loaded.
>
> I'm glad the crash report got generated and I hope it helps
> other who might be having a similar problem
>
> ProblemType: Package
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
> Package: linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed)
> Regression: Yes
> Reproducible: No
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-21.32-generic
> 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
> Uname: Linux 2.6.32-21-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver
> Version 1.0.21.
> AptOrdering:
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic: Install
> linux-headers-2.6.32-22-gener...

Read more...

enaction (enaction) wrote :
Download full text (5.7 KiB)

Jeff. Installed 2.6.32-24 and so far 2.6.32-24 seems to have fixed the issue with the low graphic problem. Thanks again, Dennis

--- On Tue, 7/20/10, Dennis <email address hidden> wrote:

> From: Dennis <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Bug 586142] Re: package linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed) failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
> To: "Bug 586142" <email address hidden>
> Date: Tuesday, July 20, 2010, 2:26 PM
> Jeff, Many thanks for taking the time
> to check this out. On this 64 bit computer I'm using a 64
> bit dual boot grub with a 32 bit winXP OS (shouldn't be a
> problem, right).  Yet rebooting from winXP to Ubuntu
> seems to trigger the low graphics mode most every time which
> restarting the x server seems to temporarily solve making it
> only a nuisance problem. This doesn't normally occur when
> rebooting from Lucid with x server loaded properly from the
> last reboot.
>
> Seems the problem started with introduction of grub 2
> (don't know). During installation the initial 64 bit release
> of Lucid gave me a blank screen necessitating changing the
> "silent splash" to "nomodeset" in grub; an indication
> something is faulty.  On my end then there was
> something buggy about the latest Lucid update in relation to
> my Nvidia driver from the get-go down to the crash report
> generated when updating to linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic.
>
> Hope this info helps you guys in some small way.  -
> Dennis
>
> --- On Tue, 7/20/10, Jeff Epstein <email address hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > From: Jeff Epstein <email address hidden>
> > Subject: [Bug 586142] Re: package
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed) failed to
> install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation
> script returned error exit status 2
> > To: <email address hidden>
> > Date: Tuesday, July 20, 2010, 9:41 AM
> > I don't see anything odd in kern.log.
> > Sorry, but I don't know what the
> > problem is.
> >
> > --
> > package linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (not installed)
> > failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed
> > post-installation script returned error exit status 2
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/586142
> > You received this bug notification because you are a
> direct
> > subscriber
> > of the bug.
> >
> > Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu: New
> >
> > Bug description:
> > After linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic was initially
> installed
> > after a routine update the nvidia graphics would no
> longer
> > boot from the grub leaving me stuck low graphics mode
> error
> > showing because the driver wasn't loaded.
> > Linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic had no such problem and
> loaded
> > my nivida graphics drivers in their proper resolution
> > mode.  I tried to reinstall
> > linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic and that's where the
> crash
> > report was generated because it failed to reinstall
> > properly.  I've now completely removed
> > linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic leaving only the
> > fully-functional linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic.
> >
> > There's seems to be  a problem in
> > linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic and my nvidia driver
> causing
> > the syste...

Read more...

Brad Figg (brad-figg) on 2010-12-03
tags: added: acpi-apic
Brad Figg (brad-figg) on 2011-04-06
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
affects: linux (Ubuntu) → grub2 (Ubuntu)
tags: removed: regression-release
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers