Default IBus input method ignored in live session

Bug #1786344 reported by Ping-Wu on 2018-08-09
20
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu)
High
Andrea Azzarone

Bug Description

Ubuntu 18.10 iso (2018.8.7), select Simplified Chinese for booting, can't
input Chinese character. From Settings -> Regions and Languages, selected
Intelligent Pinyin, also could not input Chinese.

---

18.10 镜像(2018.8.7)选择简体中文开机,无法输入中文。由 Settings -> Regions and Languages,选择 智能拼音,也无法输入中文。

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. It seems that your bug report is not filed about a specific source package though, rather it is just filed against Ubuntu in general. It is important that bug reports be filed about source packages so that people interested in the package can find the bugs about it. You can find some hints about determining what package your bug might be about at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage. You might also ask for help in the #ubuntu-bugs irc channel on Freenode.

To change the source package that this bug is filed about visit https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1786344/+editstatus and add the package name in the text box next to the word Package.

[This is an automated message. I apologize if it reached you inappropriately; please just reply to this message indicating so.]

tags: added: bot-comment
Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. Please execute the following command only once, as it will automatically gather debugging information, in a terminal:

apport-collect 1786344

When reporting bugs in the future please use apport by using 'ubuntu-bug' and the name of the package affected. You can learn more about this functionality at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingBugs.

affects: ubuntu → gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)
tags: added: cosmic
Changed in gnome-control-center (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

@Ping-Wu: Please describe the issue in English too. It's hard to understand what the problem is.

Title:
  18.10 镜像无法输入中文

in English:
 Ubuntu 18.10 iso could not input Chinese characters>

Bug description:
  18.10 镜像(2018.8.7)选择简体中文开机,无法输入中文。由 Settings -> Regions and
  Languages,选择 智能拼音,也无法输入中文。

in English:
Ubuntu 18.10 iso (2018.8.7), select Simplified English for booting, can't
input Chinese character. From Settings -> Regions and Languages, selected
Intelligent Pinyin, also could not input Chinese.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 8:40 PM Gunnar Hjalmarsson <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> @Ping-Wu: Please describe the issue in English too. It's hard to
> understand what the problem is.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1786344
>
> Title:
> 18.10 镜像无法输入中文
>
> Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> 18.10 镜像(2018.8.7)选择简体中文开机,无法输入中文。由 Settings -> Regions and
> Languages,选择 智能拼音,也无法输入中文。
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/1786344/+subscriptions
>

I tested the 2018.08.24 iso, when booted into simplified Chinese locale, I can now select 智能拼音 (smart pinyin) to input Chinese characters. However, this should be the DEFAULT, i.e., a Chinese user should be able to input Chinese characters when selecting the Chinese locale, WITHOUT any additional step.

As the 1810 iso stands now, a Chinese locale user will NOT be able to type Chinese. This is no way to try to promote/market Ubuntu in China.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

Thanks for clarifying.

This reminds me of bug #1756205. Is the behavior you describe in this bug report a regression compared to the behavior in 18.04 after the fix of that other bug?

When you say that you can select, is there anything you need to do besides clicking on the input source indicator and switch to Intelligent Pinyin?

Yes, something very similar to bug #1756205. However, if I remember it
correctly, in bug #1756205, sunpinyin was selected as the default Chinese
input engine but was not included in the iso. Once you change the default
Chinese input engine to ibus-libpinyin (which was included in the iso),
problem solved.

In 18.10, however, the problems are two-fold:

1. When booted into the simplified Chinese locale, "汉语" (Hanyu,
Chinese)shows up as the input method, but there is no package corresponding
to hanyu-pinyin. Based on the content of the iso manifest, either Hanyu
should be linked to ibus-libpinyin, or we should simply use ibus-libpinyin
as the default input engine when booted into the simplified Chinese
locale. (In the Linux world, Hanyu-pinyin usually means "pinyin", but
since the pinyin input engine has been deprecated, we should use
ibus-libpinyin instead.)

2. The input method dialog window is also seriously flawed. It has
improved somewhat from my initial post, but very awkward to use, if at
all. It is difficult to explain & you should try it yourself to see how
bad the problem is.

Anyway, this is a regression from 18.04.

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 9:15 AM Gunnar Hjalmarsson <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Thanks for clarifying.
>
> This reminds me of bug #1756205. Is the behavior you describe in this
> bug report a regression compared to the behavior in 18.04 after the fix
> of that other bug?
>
> When you say that you can select, is there anything you need to do
> besides clicking on the input source indicator and switch to Intelligent
> Pinyin?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1786344
>
> Title:
> 18.10 镜像无法输入中文
>
> Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> 18.10 镜像(2018.8.7)选择简体中文开机,无法输入中文。由 Settings -> Regions and
> Languages,选择 智能拼音,也无法输入中文。
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/1786344/+subscriptions
>

I need to point out that although I mentioned that "the pinyin input engine has been deprecated", this is inaccurate. Indeed, ibus-pinyin, with some simple tweaking, is robust and fast and works very well in 18.04 (I think I should thank you, Gunnar!) Actually ibus-pinyin is my preferred Chinese input engine, more so than ibus-libpinyin. As far as I am concerned, this is what makes Ubuntu stands out relative to Fedora/RedHat, etc.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

On 2018-08-26 03:19, Ping-Wu wrote:
> 2. The input method dialog window is also seriously flawed. It has
> improved somewhat from my initial post, but very awkward to use, if
> at all. It is difficult to explain & you should try it yourself to
> see how bad the problem is.

Actually the whole Region & Language panel has been broken for a few weeks, and it was fixed as late as yesterday. I'll wait a day or two, and then play with a daily build to see what it looks like.

Changed in gnome-control-center (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → New
Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

I checked out the 2018-08-27 ISO, and made these observations:

1. When entering a Chinese live session, the Intelligent Pinyin input
   source (default for Simplified Chinese) is not included in the list
   of input sources. Only the cn XKB layout is.

2. In Region & Language the Intelligent Pinyin method is not shown in
   the Chinese sub menu, even if the zh_CN.UTF-8 locale is active, but
   you need to continue to "Other" to find it.

I also found that the problem is not specific to Chinese, but also affects e.g. Japanese.

Item 2 is probably a gnome-control-center issue, while item 1 is probably due to some other package.

So yes, Ping-Wu, I can basically confirm your observations.

Question: Have you also tried a Chinese install? If you have, are the same issues present at first login?

summary: - 18.10 镜像无法输入中文
+ Default IBus input method ignored in live session
Changed in gnome-control-center (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → Confirmed
tags: added: regression-release
Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

I downgraded gnome-control-center in my Cosmic installation to version 1:3.28.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.2, and then Intelligent Pinyin was shown as one of the Chinese input source options as expected. So item 2 above is most likely a gnome-control-center issue.

Assuming for now that the main issue is an installer problem.

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in gnome-control-center (Ubuntu):
importance: High → Medium

I am most interested in the LiveUSB (iso image). This is the only way I
can interest my friends to try Ubuntu. I will try to install the 18.10
daily built probably over this weekend, but, again, the iso image is the
only marketing tool, as I can never induce anyone to try to do the actual
installation on their machine.

Previously I would prepare customized LiveUSBs & send them to those Ubuntu
wannabes. But because of spyware and liability concerns, this has become
impractical. Anyone who is interested in exploring Ubuntu will be shocked
to find out that they couldn't input Chinese from the LiveUSB. (Again,
many thanks to you, Gunnar, for timely fixing this serious problem in
18.04!)

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 12:00 PM Gunnar Hjalmarsson <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> I checked out the 2018-08-27 ISO, and made these observations:
>
> 1. When entering a Chinese live session, the Intelligent Pinyin input
> source (default for Simplified Chinese) is not included in the list
> of input sources. Only the cn XKB layout is.
>
> 2. In Region & Language the Intelligent Pinyin method is not shown in
> the Chinese sub menu, even if the zh_CN.UTF-8 locale is active, but
> you need to continue to "Other" to find it.
>
> I also found that the problem is not specific to Chinese, but also
> affects e.g. Japanese.
>
> Item 2 is probably a gnome-control-center issue, while item 1 is
> probably due to some other package.
>
> So yes, Ping-Wu, I can basically confirm your observations.
>
> Question: Have you also tried a Chinese install? If you have, are the
> same issues present at first login?
>
> ** Summary changed:
>
> - 18.10 镜像无法输入中文
> + Default IBus input method ignored in live session
>
> ** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided => High
>
> ** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Confirmed
>
> ** Tags added: regression-release
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1786344
>
> Title:
> Default IBus input method ignored in live session
>
> Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> 18.10 镜像(2018.8.7)选择简体中文开机,无法输入中文。由 Settings -> Regions and
> Languages,选择 智能拼音,也无法输入中文。
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/1786344/+subscriptions
>

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

ubiquity doesn't do anything in the live session, it's the installer app that starts if you click the corresponding icon once in the live session, reassigning to gnome-settings-daemon which is a more likely starting point to investigate the issue

Do you know when it started exactly? gnome-settings/gnome-shell got updated to the new 3.29 serie a bit before you opened that report

tags: added: rls-cc-incoming
affects: ubiquity (Ubuntu) → gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu)
Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

The g-c-c task moved to separate bug report (bug #1789665).

no longer affects: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)
description: updated
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Andy, could you have a look?

Changed in gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Andrea Azzarone (azzar1)
Andrea Azzarone (azzar1) on 2018-09-05
Changed in gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → In Progress
Andrea Azzarone (azzar1) on 2018-09-05
description: updated
Ping-Wu (wliauh) wrote :

Tested 0923 daily built. When booted under the "简体中文" (simplified Chinese) locale, "汉语“ (Chinese) was shown as the default input method, but still cannot input Chinese.

There is no option to select "智能拼音" (ibus-libpinyin) when I clicked on 汉语。

To use 智能拼音,I needed to go to "其它“ (Others)then made the selection. This is very weird to say the least.

However, I think 18.10 looks bright. When this problem is getting solved, I suggest that, as a default, we check all the dictionaries in the ibus-libpinyin "dictionary option" ("字典“)。 Many decision makers (in China at least) determine which Linux distro is better by how fast they can type. Turning on the dictionaries makes a whole world difference.

Iain Lane (laney) wrote :

not marking as a release blocker, but andrea is still working on this as assigned

tags: added: rls-cc-notfixing
removed: rls-cc-incoming
Jeremy Bicha (jbicha) on 2018-10-14
tags: added: iso-testing
Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

@Andrea: When you get at this bug, please note bug #1796722 which was marked as a duplicate of this one. The duplicate does include details in the bug description which may be valuable to understand the nature of the issue.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers