erratic elapsed time count in "sound recorder"

Bug #282316 reported by ubuntista on 2008-10-12
180
This bug affects 17 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
GNOME media utilities
Unknown
Medium
alsa-plugins (Ubuntu)
High
Daniel T Chen
Intrepid
Undecided
Unassigned
Jaunty
High
Daniel T Chen
gnome-media (Baltix)
Undecided
Unassigned
gnome-media (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned
Intrepid
Undecided
Unassigned
Jaunty
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

SRU information follows:

Impact: Users with a default Ubuntu 8.10 install (with libasound2-plugins installed) who attempt to record audio via ALSA (rerouted through the PulseAudio pcm plugin) experience erratic recording behaviour and, possibly, an application crash.

Resolution: The capture stream returns null, so it needs to be tested before being used. Upstream alsa-plugins 1.0.18 contains the fix (http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-plugins.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=47458ae7de308cb347ba634a445b3cec8589a20c).

Tested SRU patch reference: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/18935639/alsa-plugins_1.0.17-0ubuntu4_1.0.17-0ubuntu5~ppa1.diff.gz (A separate SRU patch will be attached.)

TEST CASE: Boot into a default Ubuntu 8.10 install (e.g., desktop image), and attempt to use Applications> Sound & Video> Sound Recorder> Record to record audio. Note the erratic recording behaviour and/or time representation.

Regression potential: No regressions have been identified in production. Currently, recording from ALSA via the PulseAudio pcm plugin rerouting is broken, so the situation "can only improve".

Background information follows:

Ubuntu 8.10 desktop beta
"Sound recorder" in 8.10 beta

< the specific steps or actions I took that caused you to encounter the problem>:
pushing the record button in "Sound recorder"

<the behavior I expected>:
When recording sound the elapsed time flows following normal time in secs and minutes.

<the behavior you actually encountered>
After pushing the record button in "Sound recorder" the time counter (seconds and minutes) starts too fast and erratic.

Pedro Villavicencio (pedro) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. Unfortunately we can't fix it, because your description didn't include enough information. You may find it helpful to read "How to report bugs effectively" http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html. We'd be grateful if you would then provide a more complete description of the problem.
 We have instructions on debugging some types of problems. http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProcedures
At a minimum, we need:
1. the specific steps or actions you took that caused you to encounter the problem,
2. the behavior you expected, and
3. the behavior you actually encountered (in as much detail as possible).
Thanks!

Changed in gnome-media:
assignee: nobody → desktop-bugs
importance: Undecided → Low
status: New → Incomplete
ubuntista (rirag) on 2008-10-15
description: updated
description: updated

I modified the bug report in order to follow what you said.

description: updated
Pedro Villavicencio (pedro) wrote :

Thanks but i don't get such behavior, may you forward it upstream to bugzilla.gnome.org since youre getting the issue? for forwarding instructions please have a look to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Upstream/GNOME ; thanks in advance.

Dave Morley (davmor2) wrote :

Confirmed

Dave Morley (davmor2) wrote :

I'm confirming this.

I got a timing count on a saved file of 1hour 4 minutes for possible 15 seconds of recording
20081017 live image

Changed in gnome-media:
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
Jerone Young (jerone) wrote :

confirmed here to. Exactly how is this low in priority and it's on the default build?

Dave Morley (davmor2) wrote :

I've changed this to sound-recorder as it is the app that is faulty

Pedro Villavicencio (pedro) wrote :

gnome-sound-recorder is part of gnome-media, re assigning it. I've also managed to reproduce this I've got ~48 minutes instead of 4.8 seconds, will forward upstream, thanks.

Changed in sound-recorder:
status: Confirmed → Triaged
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Jerone, the bug concern a small application do you think it's an high importance issue for intrepid?

Changed in gnome-media:
status: Unknown → New
Jerone Young (jerone) wrote :

@Sebastein while I would say it's a small app. It's on the default start menu and should work (honestly this is what many users .. including me .. test our mics with ... which is how I found the issue) .

I understand there are many many other major pressing issues as release is to happen very very soon. I guess it falls correctly amongst those. Though this will be a very very visible bug once people try to start using it.

Andres Mujica (andres.mujica) wrote :

Also this app is the recording app by default, in fact i use it in almost every meeting i've got. and i supose that a lot of people out there would record or test their mics at some point.}

My alsa-info.sh it's located at this url:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=fd9dc647a1e6bfad70f59a420b32cfd563edaef8

Andres Mujica (andres.mujica) wrote :

Also, it seems the workaround could be a simple one.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/277532/comments/2

no need to kill PA, just change in audio preferences the sound capture item to Pulse Audio Server, and it would work OK.

Maybe because this is an upgrade from several previous version the setting was left as before??

Sara (sfauzia) wrote :

I can confirm that not only PulseAudio works. If I set the voice recorder to my HDA Intel ALSA option, the voice recorder also works, perfectly. It's just the default ALSA that doesn't work it seems... If more information is necessary, please inform me about what type of information I can additionally provide.

ubuntista (rirag) wrote :

>just change in audio preferences the sound capture item to Pulse Audio Server, and it would work OK.

I can confirm that this workaround works also for me.

Daniel T Chen (crimsun) wrote :

Please use my 8.10 libasound2-plugins ~ppa1 deb at https://launchpad.net/~crimsun/+archive

Changed in alsa-plugins:
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → In Progress
Changed in alsa-plugins:
milestone: none → intrepid-updates
Amit Kucheria (amitk) wrote :

Confirmed by me. Haven't been able to get the mic operational yet. Working on it.

Rocko (rockorequin) wrote :

Daniel's PPA fixes the erratic time/hanging problem for me in sound recorder and in gnome-sound-properties (ie after pressing the 'Test' recording button with ALSA selected as the sound source, I previously couldn't stop it).

Omegamormegil (omegamormegil) wrote :

The libasound2-plugins in Daniel's PPA fixes sound recorder. I can't get it to work at all without the upgrade in his PPA. This needs to be in Intrepid.

Jack Deslippe (jdeslip) wrote :

The fix in Daniels PPA fixed sound_recorder giving the wrong time. However, the sound recorded from my mic is till extremeley low volume.

Daniel T Chen (crimsun) on 2008-10-31
Changed in alsa-plugins:
assignee: nobody → crimsun

I confirm this on Intrepid.

Selecting Pulse Audio Server solves the problem.

Vadim Peretokin (vperetokin) wrote :

Confirmed on an untweaked Intrepid

On Intrepid, I fixed with Daniel's PPA, But I lost the ALSA mixer in the gnome volume control and in the system - preferences - sound.

I am able to record using pulseaudio now using the flash applet (ALSA Plugin) and I am able to set the volumes using "alsamixer -Dhw:0"

Current system is AMD64.

I manually installed the 32bits version of libasound2-plugins in my "/usr/lib32/alsa-lib" so Flash will be able also to record and it is working.

the only issue which is minor is that I have to set my volumes on the ALSA card using alsamixer since Gnome is unable to see it.

goto (gotolaunchpad) wrote :

Confirmed on fresh install of Ubuntu Intrepid.

Using gnome-volume-control, the sound for capture must be put close to max to hear the sound properly.

Also, like another said Selecting Pulse Audio Server solves the problem.

Selecting PulseAudio does not solve the problem for me at all.

I seem to be struggling with PulseAudio. I had to uninstall Pulseaudio and
all its components completely to be able to record anything. So in between
for a short period recording began to work. Then again, all of a sudden,
sound completely stopped. I can no longer hear sound now. Each time the the
System beep occurs the speakers start a loud static noise that sounds more
like an old radio searching for a station.

I don't care and know what driver and which particular module is not
working. SOUND IS NOT WORKING. That's the summary. The SOUND SUPPORT SUCKS.

I have been trying my best with searching all bug reports on this.

Here are some details:

My sound card is Intel HDA. I do see that there are some specific issues
with this - I don't know and understand them - they are greek to me.

$ uname -r
2.6.27-7-generic

$ lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)

Here is a link I found for this family of HD Audio controller
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_82801H_HDA

Please help. I just don't even know where to begin. This is very
frustrating. Sound works on my other laptop which has nVIDIA HDA and in this
one with Intel HDA, it fails miserably.

-Balaji

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 10:01 AM, bugmenot <email address hidden> wrote:

> Confirmed on fresh install of Ubuntu Intrepid.
>
> Using gnome-volume-control, the sound for capture must be put close to
> max to hear the sound properly.
>
> Also, like another said Selecting Pulse Audio Server solves the problem.
>
> --
> erratic elapsed time count in "sound recorder"
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/282316
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Balaji

Download full text (3.2 KiB)

Ok, it started working now.

I completely removed PulseAudio and alsa-base. I further reinstalled other
alsa-until packages etc. And rebooted the machine. Things are much better
now. I heard a very load static in the beginning, but I could reduce/correct
that by fixing the volume level. In the process of removing PulseAudio
Ubuntu-desktop gets removed - I did not bother and still removed it. But
somehow things are working. I don't exactly know what I did for this to
start working - but I feel as if I am almost having a very partially working
system.

I'll test Flash, mpg and all other things and see if every sound module
interfaces fine.

Also, one more thing to be noted: I chose Autodetect in Sound Playback, HDA
Intel in Music/Movies and Audio conferencing. But I had to choose Open
Sound Server in capture. No other combination works. This is really
frustrating. Sound should not have so much tweaking to be done. It should
work out of the box. What Ubuntu does is expecting too much from the general
user. Please fix this. PulseAudio simply does NOT work with Intel devices.
Why do we have it if it does not work. The whole project is a waste and
completely USELESS if it does not work.

Please fix all sound issues before the next release. This is shameful.

-Balaji

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Balaji <email address hidden>wrote:

> Selecting PulseAudio does not solve the problem for me at all.
>
> I seem to be struggling with PulseAudio. I had to uninstall Pulseaudio and
> all its components completely to be able to record anything. So in between
> for a short period recording began to work. Then again, all of a sudden,
> sound completely stopped. I can no longer hear sound now. Each time the the
> System beep occurs the speakers start a loud static noise that sounds more
> like an old radio searching for a station.
>
> I don't care and know what driver and which particular module is not
> working. SOUND IS NOT WORKING. That's the summary. The SOUND SUPPORT SUCKS.
>
> I have been trying my best with searching all bug reports on this.
>
> Here are some details:
>
> My sound card is Intel HDA. I do see that there are some specific issues
> with this - I don't know and understand them - they are greek to me.
>
> $ uname -r
> 2.6.27-7-generic
>
> $ lspci | grep Audio
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
> Controller (rev 03)
>
> Here is a link I found for this family of HD Audio controller
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_82801H_HDA
>
> Please help. I just don't even know where to begin. This is very
> frustrating. Sound works on my other laptop which has nVIDIA HDA and in this
> one with Intel HDA, it fails miserably.
>
> -Balaji
>
>
> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 10:01 AM, bugmenot <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>> Confirmed on fresh install of Ubuntu Intrepid.
>>
>> Using gnome-volume-control, the sound for capture must be put close to
>> max to hear the sound properly.
>>
>> Also, like another said Selecting Pulse Audio Server solves the problem.
>>
>> --
>> erratic elapsed time count in "sound recorder"
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/282316
>> You received this bug notification because y...

Read more...

Vadim Peretokin (vperetokin) wrote :

I have the same card as you, but my sound playback was working just fine
(with flash and off and etc.). Didn't bother too much with recording in my
case though.

Daniel T Chen (crimsun) on 2008-11-03
description: updated
Daniel T Chen (crimsun) wrote :
Changed in gnome-media:
assignee: desktop-bugs → nobody
status: Triaged → Invalid
David Henningsson (diwic) wrote :

Balaji, I share your frustration over the sound system in Ubuntu. There are so many components; we have OSS, ALSA, PulseAudio, Gstreamer, Jack etc, and it is difficult to know where to start looking when things go wrong. Personally I share your view about PulseAudio - that it does not seem stable enough and that Ubuntu probably would be better off without it at the moment. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

But also know that almost all of us are volonteers and luckily one of them (Daniel) has time to work with this issue. The best you can do at the moment is to have patience and continue to help the Ubuntu project in the ways that fit both you and the project (see http://www.ubuntu.com/community).

Thanks a lot David et al,

Daniel thanks a great deal for your inputs. Here are some of my
observations.

PulseAudio for sure does not work at all on Intel HDA. My other laptop which
has nVIDIA HDA uses PulseAudio and I wouldn't say that sound worked out of
the box in that either. In general, after Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft), the ALSA
driver had become quite stable. In 6.06 we still had problems and I could
not get the driver to recognize the headphone being plugged in. But this
retrogression in sound performance at the stage where Ubuntu is today is
simply unacceptable. We CANNOT have a poorly working sound system for a
machine that can perform composite management, virtualization and other
extreme technologies that were not standard just two years back. At this
stage of maturity, Ubuntu's choice of PulseAudio is frustrating and is also
a very very bad choice.

I don't even understand why PulseAudio needs to replicate the functionality
of ALSA. The whole advantage of open source is that you use the work someone
else has done and build upon it. PulseAudio should provide a sound server,
but should not interfere with ALSA. It should use ALSA or OpenSoundSystem
which are lower level modules. That is if at all it should exist. I don't
even see why that project is needed.

Finally, I'll try to check for all the configurations and compile a
resolution to the problem that I found. I could finally get all sound
functionality working fine on this laptop. But I need to think carefully as
to what all I actually did. For sure, I completely removed PulseAudio. But
in addition I also removed alsa-base, though not the complete alsa system.

Meanwhile, let me report one more observation:
A sound static sort of noise is heard often at bootup. This is the point
where libsound2 is being loaded. But the static noise is irritating. I found
that the noise is due to a couple of volume settings that are very high. I
fixed them and rebooted and it works without the noise. Sound recording is a
little noisy - but there could be ample ambient noise in my apartment too.

Thanks,
Balaji

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:18 AM, David Henningsson <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Balaji, I share your frustration over the sound system in Ubuntu. There
> are so many components; we have OSS, ALSA, PulseAudio, Gstreamer, Jack
> etc, and it is difficult to know where to start looking when things go
> wrong. Personally I share your view about PulseAudio - that it does not
> seem stable enough and that Ubuntu probably would be better off without
> it at the moment. Hopefully that will change in the near future.
>
> But also know that almost all of us are volonteers and luckily one of
> them (Daniel) has time to work with this issue. The best you can do at
> the moment is to have patience and continue to help the Ubuntu project
> in the ways that fit both you and the project (see
> http://www.ubuntu.com/community).
>
> --
> erratic elapsed time count in "sound recorder"
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/282316
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Balaji

Download full text (4.2 KiB)

This is for a system that uses Intel HDA

$ lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)

I got this audio system to work by the doing the following:
Remove all components of pulseaudio.
Remove alsa-base, but reinstall alsa-oss and alsa-utils, libclalsadrv1,
Further, reinstall, libsound2 and libsound2-plugins, libesdalsa0

I have not yet removed Bluetooth components - I don't have bluetooth. But
after this, I changed the sound settings a little. I changed the Capture to
OpenSoundSystem and the sound outputs to Intel HDA 268 (ALSA)

Finally, I changed adjusted the volume levels and sound works now perfectly.

The only complaint is with Virtualization. If a virtual machine is using my
sound system, I cannot use it on the host simultaneously. This is upon using
VirtualBox. But that is not a show-stopper. I rarely use Windows on Ubuntu -
only if I ever need to use Office 2007 or if I need to use googletalk to
call someone.

Thanks,
Balaji

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Balaji <email address hidden>wrote:

> Thanks a lot David et al,
>
> Daniel thanks a great deal for your inputs. Here are some of my
> observations.
>
> PulseAudio for sure does not work at all on Intel HDA. My other laptop
> which has nVIDIA HDA uses PulseAudio and I wouldn't say that sound worked
> out of the box in that either. In general, after Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft), the
> ALSA driver had become quite stable. In 6.06 we still had problems and I
> could not get the driver to recognize the headphone being plugged in. But
> this retrogression in sound performance at the stage where Ubuntu is today
> is simply unacceptable. We CANNOT have a poorly working sound system for a
> machine that can perform composite management, virtualization and other
> extreme technologies that were not standard just two years back. At this
> stage of maturity, Ubuntu's choice of PulseAudio is frustrating and is also
> a very very bad choice.
>
> I don't even understand why PulseAudio needs to replicate the functionality
> of ALSA. The whole advantage of open source is that you use the work someone
> else has done and build upon it. PulseAudio should provide a sound server,
> but should not interfere with ALSA. It should use ALSA or OpenSoundSystem
> which are lower level modules. That is if at all it should exist. I don't
> even see why that project is needed.
>
> Finally, I'll try to check for all the configurations and compile a
> resolution to the problem that I found. I could finally get all sound
> functionality working fine on this laptop. But I need to think carefully as
> to what all I actually did. For sure, I completely removed PulseAudio. But
> in addition I also removed alsa-base, though not the complete alsa system.
>
> Meanwhile, let me report one more observation:
> A sound static sort of noise is heard often at bootup. This is the point
> where libsound2 is being loaded. But the static noise is irritating. I found
> that the noise is due to a couple of volume settings that are very high. I
> fixed them and rebooted and it works without the noise. Sound recording is a
> little noisy - but there could be ample...

Read more...

Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

I confirm both the erratic time and the crash. Uploaded.

Changed in gnome-media:
status: New → Invalid
Changed in alsa-plugins:
status: New → In Progress
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Accepted into intrepid-proposed, please test and give feedback here. Please see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!

Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

I verified that with the updated alsa-plugins, recording works well now. Playback still works, too.

Vadim Peretokin (vperetokin) wrote :

Upgrading libasound2-plugins did fix the erratic time in the sound recorder.

David Henningsson (diwic) wrote :

Martin: I've just enabled the intrepid "proposed" archive but there is no alsa related archive available. It is also not listed under
http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/pending-sru.html

Perhaps I'm just impatient and that it will show up later on?

Vadim Peretokin (vperetokin) wrote :

It might've not hit your local mirror, which was the case for me. Switch
your software sources to download from the main server, and then you'll see
libasound2-plugins in the update manager (not synaptic)

Omegamormegil (omegamormegil) wrote :

Yes, the update in intrepid-proposed does fix this problem in sound recorder. Thanks!

Jack Deslippe (jdeslip) wrote :

The update in intrepid-proposed fixes the timing issue on sound-recorder, but I still have extremeley low recording volume. Have you seen Bug 261018 and Bug 282931 Daniel? They should perhaps be reassigned to alsa-plugins. It seems that with pulseaudio enabled, sound recording is at extremely low volume (even with the new libasound2 package).

Heinrich Münz (hmuenz) wrote :

Hmmm, the update made my microphone work with ALSA - but when I open the GNOME volume controls (Mixer), it is always marked as muted although it works.

Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Can't copy intrepid-proposed to jaunty, since jaunty has a newer version. Is this fixed in Jaunty?

Daniel T Chen (crimsun) on 2008-11-07
Changed in alsa-plugins:
status: In Progress → Fix Released
donatello (aditya.mmy) wrote :

Erratic time problem got fixed for me too!

Hew McLachlan (hew) wrote :

I'm not running Jaunty, but the description says alsa-plugins 1.0.18 contains the fix, which means Jaunty should be fine.

Guys, my initial complaints taken back.

Sound is working perfectly. It even works across virtual machines
seamlessly. It took me a while to configure them and tweak the settings, but
they are fine now. The recording was having a lot of ambient noise, but I
figured that it was the laptop's internal mic that had a very high
resistance.

The one thing I think Linux still needs to work on, is that upon first
installation, things don't work perfectly. Further, upon an upgrade
apparently some problems persist. These should ideally be fixed early on.

-Balaji

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 5:36 AM, Hew McLachlan <email address hidden>wrote:

> I'm not running Jaunty, but the description says alsa-plugins 1.0.18
> contains the fix, which means Jaunty should be fine.
>
> --
> erratic elapsed time count in "sound recorder"
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/282316
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Balaji

ubuntista (rirag) wrote :

Upgrading libasound2-plugins did fix the erratic time in the sound recorder for me too.
Thank you.

Upgrade libasound2-plugins did fix the erratic time in sound recorder issue for me just great

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 all up to date on

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

Working like a charm

Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Copied to intrepid-updates.

Changed in alsa-plugins:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
frink (leigh-leighporter) wrote :

I upgraded to 8.10 and have found that Audacity, Sound Recorder or even monitoring the record level with the record level monitor can cause a crash. I usually only get to about 30secs recording on Audacity and then it dies.

Oddly enough, if I strace Audacity I do not seem to encounter the problem.

Changed in gnome-media:
status: New → Invalid

Open up the Synaptic Package Manager and install xubuntu-desktop or just xubuntu.
LOG OUT
When you log in "Click on Sessions"
chose the "XFCE"

Hopefully it says Xubuntu.
Then open up volume and try turning up the additional volume items.
next, log back in to the original GNOME platorm (desktop).

I am still working on the USB items. See if you can help me figure out how to compile USB items in Ubuntu. If you find out, then press alt + F2, type usbview to see all the USB item.

I have a toothache, so I really can't work on anything right now.

shravan (psai87) wrote :

i am using karmic koala and i got the same problem as yours like recording time shows "8min instead of showing 10 seconds" while recording .
my audio drivers are [VT1708/A VIA HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO CONTROLLER]
pls help me to solve this problem

ubuntista (rirag) wrote :

Il 17/02/2010 20.48, shravan ha scritto:
> i am using karmic koala and i got the same problem as yours like recording time shows "8min instead of showing 10 seconds" while recording .
> my audio drivers are [VT1708/A VIA HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO CONTROLLER]
> pls help me to solve this problem
>
>
Just update Ubuntu.

Anbarasan (nasarabna) wrote :

I am using Karmic Koala. i have installed all the updates, that the update manager showed.
But still, i am getting this problem, the recording timer values are erratic..
My Audio hardware is VT1708/A [Azalia HDAC] (VIA High Definition Audio Controller).
any other way to solve this problem?

Changed in gnome-media:
importance: Unknown → Medium
status: Invalid → Unknown
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.