For everyone who does not want to wait for the fix going into the official updates for Edgy, here instructions for applying it already now:
1. Download the fixed version:
2. Install it:
sudo dpkg -i foo2zjs_20060625dfsg-2ubuntu1_i386.deb
3. Download the firmware file
(or 1005, 1018, 1020 depending on your printer model, the LaserJet 1022 does not need a firmware file, so skip this and the next step for this model)
4. Convert and install the firmware file:
sudo arm2hpdl sihp1000.img > /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1000.dl
(replace "1000" by "1005", "1018", or "1020" depending on your printer model)
5. Connect your printer to the USB of your computer and turn it on, its LEDs should blink. Do not connect your printer to a network print box or to a router.
6. If you did not do so yet, create a print queue for your printer, either via the gnome-cups-manager (Menu "System" -> "Administration" -> "Printing") or with the web interface of CUPS (http://localhost:631/, when asked for login and password, enter your user name and password).
In Feisty (release in April 2007) all this will get done automatically: