Invalid diacritics used in Romanian translation

Bug #219449 reported by Lucian Adrian Grijincu on 2008-04-19
10
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Launchpad itself
Undecided
Unassigned
language-support-translations-ro (Ubuntu)
High
Ubuntu Romanian Quality Assurance

Bug Description

While installing Ubuntu 8.04 I've noticed an inconsistency in the Romanian translation of Ubuntu.
Some applications use the incorrect form of two of the Romanian diacritics: ş and ţ.
The correct versions of these diacritics are ș and ț. (The correct form uses a comma bellow the letter instead of the cedilla).

This can be easily fixed by replacing all cedilla based characters with their comma-bellow correct forms in all translations with an automated script.

TenLeftFingers (tenleftfingers) wrote :

Unassigning myself so someone more qualified can take it further.

Changed in language-support-translations-ro:
assignee: jarlathreidy → nobody
status: New → Incomplete
Jani Monoses (jani) wrote :

Since this is unlikely to be done server-side by the LP team, the Romanian translators need to fix the offending strings either in Launchpad or upstream in GNOME.

Changed in language-support-translations-ro:
assignee: nobody → ubuntu-l10n-ro
importance: Undecided → High
Alex Eftimie (alexeftimie) wrote :

LP doesn't currently offer a solution for that, but we must think of an automatic solution to do all the replacements.

I think, that using the new Launchpad API we can develop a translation bot for that. Must document myself, and I'll be back.

Adi Roiban (adiroiban) wrote :

This bug is related to question #33171 https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/rosetta/+question/33171 , and bug #230725 https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/rosetta/+bug/230725

Right now the only solution is converting while reviewing the translations, but we still need to finish translating some package before entering the review phase . But I think we are close.

Anyway it is hard to make sure that we will not receive wrong diacritics by both launchpad users from Linux of Windows using non-standard keyboard layouts!

Sergiu Bivol (sergiu-bivol) wrote :

I have fixed the KDE translations upstream. However, some of the translations made in Launchpad are still using the wrong symbols and it looks silly in Kubuntu.

I think the only solution would be a server-side script that converts these characters automagically, at least for the translations made using Launchpad.

Alexandru Szasz (alexxed) wrote :

The best way to fix this it at user level, through javascript for example. This would cover search and save as well.
Either convince LP people to include a js snippet for romanian language (it shouldn't be too hard to do) or you can ask the translators to use FoxReplace for example for Firefox or some custom made addon that replaces this diacritics.

Adi Roiban (adiroiban) wrote :

Sergiu, your changes will be imported in Rosetta, next time the packatge is imported from upstream.

What we need to do is make sure the upstream translations are OK and then check they have been correctly imported in Rosetta.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers