deja-dup monitor was taking 6GB of memory

Bug #1302416 reported by Albert Astals Cid on 2014-04-04
240
This bug affects 56 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Déjà Dup
Undecided
Unassigned
deja-dup (Debian)
New
Unknown
deja-dup (Ubuntu)
High
Michael Terry

Bug Description

Booted fresh, computer started to be slow and after a while i realized deja-dup monitor was taking 6GB of memory. Haven't tried rebooted again. Will do so in a moment.

Sorry can't provide more info :/

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
Package: deja-dup 30.0-0ubuntu4
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-22.44-generic 3.13.8
Uname: Linux 3.13.0-22-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.14-0ubuntu1
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: Unity
Date: Fri Apr 4 09:40:07 2014
InstallationDate: Installed on 2011-11-21 (864 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release amd64 (20111012)
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=ca_ES
 TERM=xterm
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=ca_ES.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: deja-dup
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2012-02-27 (766 days ago)

Albert Astals Cid (aacid) wrote :
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in deja-dup (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
thecure (keith-k) wrote :

After update yesterday eating up 14.3 gigs memory and freezing system.

Changed in deja-dup (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Michael Terry (mterry)
importance: Undecided → High
g0m3z (g0m3z78) wrote :

I'm facing the same issue on 14.04 LTS. After yesterday's update my notebook is completely usless.

thecure (keith-k) wrote :

Apparently something went wrong with update. Went back a kernel and although very slow and kept freezing was able to aptget install upgrade and now desktop usable again. Aside note before rebooting deja-dup-monitor consumed almost all 32 gig swap and 14 gig of ram. First time my system ever used swap. Ubuntu 64 bit 14.04 If any log you need let me know.

g0m3z (g0m3z78) wrote :

I experienced the same. After I upgraded from console everything works fine. Most probably my previous upgrade was only a partial one.

Eliot Leo Carney-Seim (ecsit39) wrote :

SAME. Just went to google and searched "how to remove deja-dup-monitor" and ran "sudo killall -9 deja-dup-monitor" and then removed it with apt-get remove. ran upgrade afterwards just in case.

Also using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty

manfreed (manfreed) wrote :

This just happened to me right after login. The process started to eat all of my memory which caused intensive swapping and an unresponsive system. It took me minutes just to get a terminal to kill this process.

Besides the issue with the high memory (and cpu) consumption there is an other issue here:

The process in question is part of (?) a backup solution, which is not configured by default. I believe this application shouldn't be installed, or at least it shouldn't run on login by default unless the user actually needs it. Even without the bug that causes high memory usage it's still something that slows down startup without actually doing something useful.

This bug is affected me everytime I connect to my laptop's Ubuntu 14.04 LTS updated up to July, 20th, 2014 using Chrome's Remote Desktop plugin.
I have to use System Monitor to kill deja-dup-monitor when possible to do vi GUI or I have to switch to a terminal to "killall deja-dup-monitor".

The process uses more than 6GB RAM (I have a total of 8GB RAM).

Has someone else being affected when using Chrome's Remote Desktop?

Jonathan (jonathan-gawrych) wrote :

This began happening to me after installing chrome's remote desktop and rebooting as well.

I'm runing Ubuntu-Gnome 14.04 LTS. I had to drop down to TTY, and killall deja-dup-monitor.

As far as I can tell, deja-dup is a backup tool that I currently don't use, and it doesn't look like anything depends on it. I removed it entirely and my system has been fine since then.

Marcel Miguel (marcel-miguel) wrote :

I also had added Chrome Remote Desktop. But i didn't related it to this bug.

John Gonzalez (johngonzalezv) wrote :

This happened after installing chrome's remote desktop. I am running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I removed deja-dup entirely. What will happen if I install deja-dup again?

JoeAvery2 (joeavery2) wrote :

I've tested, uninstall CRD, the problem goes away, install CRD and the problem returns. I do use Deja for backups, though I'm not sure if they are of much use if I need to restore, but that is another thing.
I would guess that re-installing Deja would bring back the issue. I've only seen it when Chrome-Remote-Desktop is installed so I'm guessing that the bug has more to do with Chrome-Remote-Desktop then with Deja.

Alan Lord (theopensourcerer) wrote :

deja-dup-monitor is killing my laptop every morning! I do not have Chrome-Remote-Desktop installed, nor do I need it as my backups are handled differently. Am on 14.04 LTS up-to-date and have only recently started seeing this issue.

Why do we need this daemon if we are not using the backup solution? It shouldn't be installed by default surely?

rickle (rick-hallocks) wrote :

Just like many of the others. I installed Chrome Remote Desktop on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
Later I started another copy of chrome and my computer came to standstill. I then told it to reboot, came back an hour later and logged in, still computer extremely slow, got system monitor started and deja-dup-monitor was using 4.3 gig of my 5.8 gig of memory. (using 5.5 of 5.8 total). I do use deja-dup for backup. Not sure what I will do now.

R Lorentz (lorentz) wrote :

I have a similar but different problem. In settings I've scheduled daily backups. (I'd like to schedule the time of those backups, too, but see no way to do that. Very frustrating, but that's another issue....) During the automatic backup deja-dup will sometimes consume the majority of my 16gb of memory and never give it back, even after it stops and exits. The system will then start going into Swap memory, which of course then slows everything down to a crawl. Is this a related/known bug?

R Lorentz (lorentz) wrote :

Following up on the above, I went to Settings - Backups - Back Up Now to manually start a backup and had the same result. Most of my memory was consumed, never to be returned.

Marko Zabcic (gm-marko) wrote :

The problem also started after I installed Chrome Remote Desktop on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Nate (n8marti) wrote :

I have the same problem. I'll add that in addition to deja-dup-monitor sucking up all my memory, the indicators for dropbox and grive both fail to show up, even though they're listed as running process in the system monitor. Uninstalling chrome-remote-desktop seems to have fixed all three issues.

There is also a "poor quality" warning when installing the chrome-remote-desktop package. I guess I should believe those kinds of warnings from now on.

alvin (alvinwtng) wrote :

I had the same problem. I found that my Libreoffice totally dies before loading and it was fine after installing chrome-remote-desktop. There should be a way to flag it as a bad package. The memory issues were there as well before I uninstalled it.

Michal (michal.post) wrote :

same problem on 14.04.1 LTS x86_64 after installing chrome remote desktop host.

no longer affects: deja-dup
sean (mcsean2163) wrote :

Same problem, amazed there is no solution. Even after killing deja-dup my pv is still really slow...

Same problem after installing xrdp on trusty. Simply purged deja-dup and problem was fixed :)

Changed in deja-dup (Debian):
status: Unknown → New
Sahand Vahidnia (sohanad1990) wrote :

Same here! Right after installing chrome remote desktop (which didn't work properly)...

Greggth (greggth) wrote :

I'm hitting the same problem after installing Chrome Remote Desktop.
Any update from a developer? Since this bug seems easy to reproduce and is affecting a number of people, I'd think it's worth investigating.

Martin Cima (martin-cima) wrote :

Same problem too, after install Chrome Remote Desktop, Deja-dup eats all RAM possible.
Later unisntalling Chrome Remote Desktop don't fix the problem.
After remove dejadup the problem gone.

Scott (massstash) wrote :

Add another confirmed. Just fresh installed 15.10, was running very snappy, soon as remote chrome desktop installed and rebooted, deja-dup-monitor eats memory. I had 5gb being taken up and system lagging hardcore, able to kill service running, system caught up and runs fine. Really have to have remote desktop installed to use, so hope this is figured out in a timely manor. Darn bugs! haha

lotharmat (matdcooke) wrote :

Well I think that looking at the date of the first issue raised points to it never being solved!

yeah, pretty sad, I have given up ever using chrome desktop.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 1:40 AM, lotharmat <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Well I think that looking at the date of the first issue raised points
> to it never being solved!
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1302416
>
> Title:
> deja-dup monitor was taking 6GB of memory
>
> Status in deja-dup package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in deja-dup package in Debian:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> Booted fresh, computer started to be slow and after a while i realized
> deja-dup monitor was taking 6GB of memory. Haven't tried rebooted
> again. Will do so in a moment.
>
> Sorry can't provide more info :/
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: deja-dup 30.0-0ubuntu4
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-22.44-generic 3.13.8
> Uname: Linux 3.13.0-22-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.14-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: amd64
> CurrentDesktop: Unity
> Date: Fri Apr 4 09:40:07 2014
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2011-11-21 (864 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release amd64
> (20111012)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=ca_ES
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=ca_ES.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: deja-dup
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2012-02-27 (766 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/deja-dup/+bug/1302416/+subscriptions
>

--

Thanks
Rick

Dmitri (dmitry-a-moudraninets) wrote :

My system is also affected. I'm not the only user of this PC so I don't know if Chrome remote desktop is installed for other users. My system started to lag extremely after I configured XFCE session inside of VNC server. Before that system was stable for a long time.

Alex (normadize) wrote :

Can confirm this is still happening, deja-dup-monitor was happily munching on 64 GB of RAM and completely hogging the machine (Ubuntu 14.04.3, updated a few minutes ago).

In my case I installed and started the NoMachine NX server (with XFCE desktop in user-mode). Don't have Chrome remote desktop installed.

Like others, I removed deja dup with `sudo apt-get remove deja-dup` and the problem was solved.

Lucas (luc4sdreyer) wrote :

I have the same problem on Ubuntu 14.04.2 and I had to uninstall deja-dup to fix it. I don't have Chrome Remote Desktop installed.

I think this bug should be marked as critical since it "Renders the system temporarily or permanently unusable": if you don't manage to kill the process quickly after you notice the problem the entire OS grinds to a halt.

Yana (yana-developer) wrote :

I do have the same problem. The problem was i connected to a second monitor and revert my graphic settings to Nouveau. I previously used nvidia graphic driver but the dual monitor doesn't work. I'm not sure whether the dual monitor is causing the problem or the Nouveau graphic Driver. I run ubuntu 14.04. I'm open to help if you guys need any information regarding my system or do some test.

:)

Daniel Z (daniel-zilber) wrote :

Me too!
Just upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04, and installed Chrome Remote Desktop. Its crap btw, doesn't show Unity taskbar.
Anyway I don't even use deja-dup. Why would this process be running if I don't have backup enabled?

Jernej Jakob (jjakob) wrote :

Happened right now on Xenial 16.04.

Phil Kemp (phiq) wrote :

Running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS no Chrome Remote Desktop. once or twice a day i have to kill the deja-dup processes as the load average and mem useage skyrocket.

What I can't figure out is what is kicking the processes off. they aren't in my startup apps. they aren't in the services, i cant find them in the crontabs...

Had to remove deja-dup from the system. shall see if that fixes things...

Glad for all the comments and experiences, I thought I was going crazy...
PK

grpc22 (grpc22) wrote :

Mi equipo se congeló, lo reinicié varias veces, cuando por fin cargo el escritorio (después de mas de 15 min) el proceso tenia consumido 13.6GB de RAM. Matando el proceso el equipo funcionó bien, al menos hasta ahora.

Jakub Chatrný (jakub-chatrny) wrote :

It's started consuming all my memory after update Ubuntu 16.04 to 16.10

Jose Valencia (jvalenciag4) wrote :

Same problem here, it take my 16GB of RAM on Ubuntu 16.04 after update chrome to version 54.0.2840.100 (64-bit)

Same problem. deja-dup-monitor takes up 14GB of memory on Ubuntu 14.04. Please fix!

It's been 2 years. Why has this issue not been fixed?

Vej (vej) wrote :

Hello Timothy,

the problem here is, that this bug is not ready to be fixed.

Before one can start on fixing this one needs to know where the problem comes from. I am the bug triager from the related upstream project and know parts of the code, but do not know why this occurs, how one could prevent it or what additional informations to ask for. This combined with the very small number of developers working on the upstream project, causes trouble here.

So if anyone wants to help to bring this further they should try to find relevant informations about this.

Best Regards

Vej

rickle (rick-hallocks) wrote :

Thanks for the update.

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 8:49 AM Vej <email address hidden> wrote:

> Hello Timothy,
>
> the problem here is, that this bug is not ready to be fixed.
>
> Before one can start on fixing this one needs to know where the problem
> comes from. I am the bug triager from the related upstream project and
> know parts of the code, but do not know why this occurs, how one could
> prevent it or what additional informations to ask for. This combined
> with the very small number of developers working on the upstream
> project, causes trouble here.
>
> So if anyone wants to help to bring this further they should try to find
> relevant informations about this.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Vej
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1302416
>
> Title:
> deja-dup monitor was taking 6GB of memory
>
> Status in deja-dup package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in deja-dup package in Debian:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> Booted fresh, computer started to be slow and after a while i realized
> deja-dup monitor was taking 6GB of memory. Haven't tried rebooted
> again. Will do so in a moment.
>
> Sorry can't provide more info :/
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: deja-dup 30.0-0ubuntu4
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-22.44-generic 3.13.8
> Uname: Linux 3.13.0-22-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.14-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: amd64
> CurrentDesktop: Unity
> Date: Fri Apr 4 09:40:07 2014
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2011-11-21 (864 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release amd64
> (20111012)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=ca_ES
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=ca_ES.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: deja-dup
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2012-02-27 (766 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/deja-dup/+bug/1302416/+subscriptions
>

I just got this bug today with 17.04 beta. I also have chrome remote desktop installed.

Jure Sah (dustwolfy) wrote :

Also applies to stock installed Ubuntu 16.04 x64. It is noteworthy that I have deja-dup turned OFF in my settings.

The deja-dup monitor spontaneously spawned, reserved 4 GB of RAM and started pushing everything into swap making my system lock up and become unusable.

Jure Sah (dustwolfy) on 2017-07-21
tags: added: xenial
Michael Terry (mterry) wrote :

Sigh, I've never been able to reproduce this. Despite several people saying it's connected to Chrome Remote Desktop, we also have several reports of it happening without that involved.

I'm currently testing a workaround (committed to trunk) that sets a memory limit on the monitor process, as a quick and dirty hack to alleviate the effects of this bug. If anyone wants to test on their machine, you can edit /etc/xdg/autostart/deja-dup-monitor.desktop to change its Exec line to:

Exec=bash -c "ulimit -v 1000000; /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/deja-dup/deja-dup-monitor"
X-GNOME-AutoRestart=true

(change the x86_64-linux-gnu part as needed)

I'd welcome reports of success or failure with this.

Jure Sah (dustwolfy) wrote :

When I had the issue I did not have Google Chrome installed. I was instead, creating disk images with ddrescue. Needless to say that involved some active changes in files substantially larger than the amount of system memory.

Unfortunately as the issue occurred spontaneously and completely disabled my computer when it happened, I had resorted to uninstalling deja-dup rather than attempting to resolve the issue.

Will try fix next week.

Michael Terry (mterry) wrote :

The workaround landed in artful. I'm keeping a look out for any reports of this bug still happening there.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.