Mouse offset problem when using a WINE application maximized

Bug #755406 reported by Markus Birth on 2011-04-09
218
This bug affects 43 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Compiz
Medium
Unassigned
Compiz Core
Medium
Unassigned
Unity
Expired
Medium
Unassigned
compiz (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned
unity (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

When putting Picasa in fullscreen, all controls on the screen are drawn as expected (window without title bar) but the mouse has to be the size of the title bar BELOW these controls. There seems to be a y-offset of the height of the title bar.

I only noticed this for Picasa for now, but I found a report from another user of this behavior there: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/44091/mouse-input-offset-problem-in-web-fullscreen .

I attached a screenshot. Please notice the mouse pointer being below the button, but the button is highlighted. Also the original title bar is shining through the slightly transparent globalmenu-bar. Picasa is 3.8 installed into the original Picasa 3.x-wine-environment from Google (picasa-package). This is on Natty with today's updates.

Markus Birth (mbirth) wrote :
Omer Akram (om26er) on 2011-04-12
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

I am able to reproduce this bug on my netbook where picasa opens maximized, after unmaximizing/unmaximizing the window the clicks are received fine.

Changed in unity:
status: New → Confirmed
rickh57 (rickh57) wrote :

I have this happen in Picasa, and also an old Windows game, Empire Deluxe, that I play under wine. I end up logging off and switching to the classic Ubuntu interface in order to use these wine applications. I've grown to like Unity and would be glad to see this issue with it resolved.

Omer Akram (om26er) on 2011-05-06
summary: - Mouse offset problem when using Picasa (via wine) in fullscreen
+ Mouse offset problem when using a WINE application maximized
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
Scott Talbert (swt-techie) wrote :

I am seeing this also with Quicken 2000 (via Wine) when maximized.

It also happens in most fullscreen games I tried, including Starcraft I and Down of War, which makes them really hard to play.

HornedBeast (andrew-barlow) wrote :

A definite issue when using Dreamweaver 8 or Fireworks 8. Any workarounds other than not maximizing?

Tato (gciancio) wrote :

I can confirm the same behavior. Ubuntu 11.04 (upgrade from 10.10) and Picasa.

yemu (yemu) wrote :

same problem for me

franco_bez (franco-bez) wrote :

Just now I had a similar problem.
The mouse offset was in the opposite direction - I had to click above the element, not bleow.
Also this happened in firefox running fullscreen, no wine apllication running at all.

Omer Akram (om26er) on 2011-05-27
tags: added: btotna
removed: fullscreen mouse offset
Peter Curtis (pdcurtis) wrote :

This affects me with Dreamweaver 2004 and Picasa 3.0 with an offset such that I have to click below.

Is there a way to force Wine applications to open in a window rather than maximised while the bug is being sorted?

tulskiy (tulskiy) wrote :

As a temporary solution, you can maximise the window not with the maximise button, but by double-clicking the title. This way window title is duplicated, but there's no y-offset.

Changed in unity:
status: Confirmed → In Progress
assignee: nobody → Scott Talbert (swt-techie)
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-06-14
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → In Progress
Scott Talbert (swt-techie) wrote :

I have been looking into this bug in some detail. The issue seems to occur because Unity modifies the MWM hints (to remove the window decorations when Wine is maximized) and then Wine subsequently restores them. The mouse offset problem occurs because the title bar is there, but just not visible. (I am wondering if that specific part of the bug is another variation of bug 772612.)

MINAS LAMPROU (mlamprou) wrote :

the same problem. I confirm

killabee44 (killabee44) wrote :

Same issue here with Starcraft 2. If anyone knows a workaround or fix, plz let us know. Thanks.

killabee44 (killabee44) wrote :

Well I found an answer, well at least it works for Starcraft2, maybe it will work for other Wine apps. Right click on the desktop and select: Change Desktop Background, then select the Visual Effects tab, then select None.

That turns off visual effects (like Compiz) and makes the mouse pointer offset disappear. I hope this helps.

Nikolaus Filus (nfilus) wrote :

@Scott Talbert:
You seem to have analyzed the problem - can you say, if this should be fixed in compiz/unity or wine? I am affected by this issue with crossover office + MS office as well as by bug 772612, where we are still waiting for clarification and a solution.

Any devs committing to this issue?

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Nikolaus Filus wrote:

> @Scott Talbert: You seem to have analyzed the problem - can you say, if
> this should be fixed in compiz/unity or wine? I am affected by this
> issue with crossover office + MS office as well as by bug 772612, where
> we are still waiting for clarification and a solution.

Yes, I have looked into the issue quite a bit. I understand what is going
on but I am not entirely sure how to fix it yet. I was hoping that bug
772612
would be resolved soon because I have a feeling it may be related
to this problem.

androith (androith) wrote :

I can confirm this bug in PDF-Xchange-Viewer

Heinrich Münz (hmuenz) wrote :

Same issue with Canon Digital Photo Professional.

Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

This issue is fixed in Oneiric, I used picasa for a few minutes and the issue did not happen I faced the issue in Natty though. I am closing this bug now if anyone can reproduce it in Oneiric please let us know so that we could re-open this bug.

Changed in unity:
status: In Progress → Invalid
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Invalid
Ian Booth (wallyworld) wrote :

I am running Oneiric beta 1 and the issue still occurs for me. Straight after I maximise Picasa, the first mouse click or two seem to work correctly, but the issue then reappears as already described in the bug report.

Lukáš Chmela (lukaschmela) wrote :

Same problem for me. It happens also to fullscreen applications using wine1.3. With wine1.2 the problem disappears, but I am not able to launch some applications.

David Gómez (dabisu) wrote :

Please reopen this bug. Still present in Oneric with Picasa under WINE.

Omer Akram (om26er) on 2011-11-28
Changed in unity:
status: Invalid → Confirmed
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Invalid → Confirmed
Changed in unity:
importance: Undecided → High
importance: High → Medium
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-12-02
Changed in unity-distro-priority:
status: New → Fix Committed
status: Fix Committed → Invalid
Omer Akram (om26er) on 2011-12-06
no longer affects: unity-distro-priority
Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

Scott, any updates on your findings? would you be able to work on a fix, you might want to talk to smspillaz to get an idea on how to fix this issue.

Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
Changed in compiz-core:
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Scott Talbert (swt-techie) wrote :

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011, Omer Akram wrote:

> Scott, any updates on your findings? would you be able to work on a fix,
> you might want to talk to smspillaz to get an idea on how to fix this
> issue.

Actually, with the versions of compiz/unity in Oneiric, I don't see the
problem anymore. The main application that I use is Quicken 2000 under
Wine. In Oneiric, I see different behavior in Unity 3D vs Unity 2D. With
Unity 3D, there is always a double-title bar, but no mouse offset. With
Unity 2D (which is what I primarily use because Unity 3D performance
regressed in Oneiric with my video hardware), there is always a single
title bar and no mouse offset, which I think is the desired behavior.

I'll have to try Picasa to see if I can still replicate the problem with
that.

Scott Talbert (swt-techie) wrote :

Okay, I was able to try this with Picasa (after I finally figured out how to download it as Google kept telling me my OS wasn't supported).

What I am seeing with Picasa (in Oneiric with wine 1.3) is a slightly different problem. The problem is really that the window decorations don't get removed when Picasa is maximized, resulting in a "double" title bar. There doesn't appear to be a mouse offset problem, as best as I can tell.

For those of you that are still experiencing a problem, are you seeing a double title bar, or are you really seeing a mouse offset? If you are really seeing a mouse offset, can you provide a set of steps that reproduce it?

Andreas E. (andreas-e) wrote :

Since Oneiric, I never got an offset anymore but a double title bar (I had thought it was a preliminary "fix").
At the start of an application it happens sometimes that the window merges fine with the panel, but as soon as it opens a child window, the parent window "jumps" out of the panel and shows the double title bar.

Philipp Wendler (philw85) wrote :

Same symptoms (double title bar, no mouse offset) for me in Oneiric with a different wine program (ElsterFormular), which also suffered from the mouse offset problem previously.

Andreas E. (andreas-e) wrote :

Isn't it time to get the double title bar fixed?
Both Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Wine 1.4 claim to be stable and quality releases. Both would profit from a fix no matter who's fault it is.

Scott Talbert said: The issue seems to occur because Unity modifies the MWM hints [...] and then Wine subsequently restores them.
Since I have never experienced double title bars in other apps except Wine, isn't it then wrong behavior that Wine restores the MVM hints, or shouldn't have Unity changed them in the first place?

Scott Talbert (swt-techie) wrote :

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Andreas E. wrote:

> Isn't it time to get the double title bar fixed? Both Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
> and Wine 1.4 claim to be stable and quality releases. Both would profit
> from a fix no matter who's fault it is.
>
> Scott Talbert said: The issue seems to occur because Unity modifies the
> MWM hints [...] and then Wine subsequently restores them. Since I have
> never experienced double title bars in other apps except Wine, isn't it
> then wrong behavior that Wine restores the MVM hints, or shouldn't have
> Unity changed them in the first place?

Modifying the MWM hints is how Unity removes the title bar from a window.
I'm not sure there is any other way to do it.

I did present a patch to the Wine developers which basically checked to
see if the MWM hints had been modified (by something outside Wine, e.g.,
Unity) and if so, stop Wine from modifying them. However, the Wine
developers argued that Unity should not be modifying the hints. I suppose
that it is possible that Ubuntu could look into using this patch as a
delta from upstream.

What I haven't investigated, however, is how things work with Unity 2D.
Unity 2D doesn't exhibit the double-title-bar problem, but I haven't
investigated to determine why.

Connor Carney (cscarney) wrote :

The double title bar problem is worked around by setting the compiz decor/decoration_match key to "!(state=mavert & state=maxhorz)" and the mouse offset problem doesn't seem to happen when windows are undecorated in this way.

This presumably works by ignoring the window hints rather than setting them, but it suggests that the problem can be solved without patching wine.

it also happens in steam when entering birth date on store

Higgs Bison (bizzone) wrote :

Connor Carney, where can I specify this settings? I also have same problem (double title bar) in Navicat Prenium.

By the way, isn`t it related to this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/997585 ? After upgrading to Precise window titles sometimes disappear after you run wine applications.

Omer Akram (om26er) on 2012-05-18
tags: added: wine
Changed in compiz:
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Confirmed
Heling Yao (hyao) wrote :

A workaround

run winecfg, under Graphics tab, uncheck all the checkboxes (guess no need to uncheck all of them, but for simplicity's sake)

Tested and fixes StarCraft II mouse problem

Note: use a separate WINEPREFIX if you don't want to change wine settings for other wine programs

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. Please execute the following command, as it will automatically gather debugging information, in a terminal:
apport-collect 755406
When reporting bugs in the future please use apport by using 'ubuntu-bug' and the name of the package affected. You can learn more about this functionality at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingBugs.

Changed in compiz:
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Changed in compiz-core:
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Changed in unity:
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Higgs Bison (bizzone) wrote :

Why this bug was marked as incomplete?

Because; as https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status says; if you have to ask the reporter questions, you have to set the bug to 'Incomplete'.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for compiz (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for unity (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for Compiz because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in compiz:
status: Incomplete → Expired
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for Compiz Core because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in compiz-core:
status: Incomplete → Expired
Download full text (3.2 KiB)

.tmp.unity.support.test.0:

ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.1
Architecture: amd64
CompizPlugins: No value set for `/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
CompositorRunning: compiz
CompositorUnredirectDriverBlacklist: '(nouveau|Intel).*Mesa 8.0'
CompositorUnredirectFSW: true
DistUpgraded: 2013-10-30 13:55:28,682 DEBUG enabling apt cron job
DistroCodename: saucy
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.10
DistroVariant: ubuntu
DkmsStatus:
 samsung_backlight, 0.15, 3.11.0-12-generic, x86_64: installed
 samsung_backlight, 0.15, 3.11.0-13-generic, x86_64: installed
GraphicsCard:
 Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
   Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device [144d:c0d3]
InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-05-13 (190 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130424)
MachineType: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. 900X3C/900X3D/900X4C/900X4D
MarkForUpload: True
Package: unity
PackageArchitecture: all
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-13-generic root=UUID=967667f5-f56a-44ed-bd4d-c9ebfc6bf617 ro elevator=noop
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.11.0-13.20-generic 3.11.6
Tags: third-party-packages saucy third-party-packages saucy ubuntu compiz-0.9
Uname: Linux 3.11.0-13-generic x86_64
UnreportableReason: This is not an official Ubuntu package. Please remove any third party package and try again.
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to saucy on 2013-10-30 (20 days ago)
UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
dmi.bios.date: 02/08/2013
dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
dmi.bios.version: P06AAC
dmi.board.asset.tag: Base Board Asset Tag
dmi.board.name: SAMSUNG_NP1234567890
dmi.board.vendor: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
dmi.board.version: FAB1
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
dmi.chassis.type: 9
dmi.chassis.vendor: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
dmi.chassis.version: 0.1
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnPhoenixTechnologiesLtd.:bvrP06AAC:bd02/08/2013:svnSAMSUNGELECTRONICSCO.,LTD.:pn900X3C/900X3D/900X4C/900X4D:pvr0.1:rvnSAMSUNGELECTRONICSCO.,LTD.:rnSAMSUNG_NP1234567890:rvrFAB1:cvnSAMSUNGELECTRONICSCO.,LTD.:ct9:cvr0.1:
dmi.product.name: 900X3C/900X3D/900X4C/900X4D
dmi.product.version: 0.1
dmi.sys.vendor: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
version.compiz: compiz 1:0.9.10+13.10.20131113-0ubuntu1ppa1
version.ia32-libs: ia32-libs N/A
version.libdrm2: libdrm2 2.4.46-1
version.libgl1-mesa-dri: libgl1-mesa-dri 9.2.1-1ubuntu3
version.libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental: libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental N/A
version.libgl1-mesa-glx: libgl1-mesa-glx 9.2.1-1ubuntu3
version.xserver-xorg-core: xserver-xorg-core 2:1.14.3-3ubuntu2
version.xserver-xorg-input-evdev: xserver-xorg-input-evdev 1:2.7.3-0ubuntu3.1
version.xserver-xorg-video-ati: xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:7.2.0-0ubuntu10
version.xserver-xorg-video-intel: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.904-0ubuntu2
version.xserver-xorg-video-nouveau: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.9-2ubuntu1
xserver.bootTime: Sun Nov 17 22:31:50 2013
xserver.configfile: default
xserver.errors:

xserver.logfile: /var/log/Xorg.0.log
xserver.outputs:
 product id 13638
 vendor ...

Read more...

tags: added: apport-collected compiz-0.9 saucy third-party-packages ubuntu

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

Changed in unity:
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
Higgs Bison (bizzone) wrote :

I have attached Aport information for this bug and marked it as confirmed. Please try to fix it. Suggested workaround with decoration_match="!(state=mavert & state=maxhorz)" does not work for me, every Wine window appears with second title title bar when maximized.

Scott, if you aren't to fix this bug, please remove yourself as assignee.

Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: Expired → Triaged
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Expired → Triaged
Changed in compiz-core:
status: Expired → Confirmed
Changed in compiz:
status: Expired → Confirmed
Changed in compiz-core:
assignee: nobody → Scott Talbert (swt-techie)
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Scott Talbert (swt-techie)
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Scott Talbert (swt-techie)

Better than that, if you're to fix this bug, please reassign yourself.

Thank you.

Changed in compiz-core:
assignee: Scott Talbert (swt-techie) → nobody
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
assignee: Scott Talbert (swt-techie) → nobody
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
assignee: Scott Talbert (swt-techie) → nobody
Changed in unity:
assignee: Scott Talbert (swt-techie) → nobody

Is this issuing occurring for anyone using 14.04? I can't seem to reproduce, but perhaps I'm not trying to reproduce correctly...

Changed in compiz-core:
status: Confirmed → Won't Fix
Changed in compiz:
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Changed in unity:
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Incomplete
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Incomplete
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for compiz (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for Compiz because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in compiz:
status: Incomplete → Expired
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for unity (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for Unity because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in unity:
status: Incomplete → Expired
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers