Ubuntu Gnome Remix Seeds

network manager looks weird

Reported by Csenger Attila Szabó on 2011-05-08
18
This bug affects 4 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
ugr-seeds
Low
JC Hulce

Bug Description

I have used the UGR version 0.0.1, 0.0.2 and now 0.1.0, but there have been a weird thing in both ones.
The network manager between the Clock and the Universal Access button looks like this if I open it:
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/csenger41/others/20110508157.jpg
Sorry for the quality, but the screenshot function is not working if that menu is opened.
Is it intented to be like this, or it is just for me?
It is fully functioning, the only problem is the lack of design.

JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

I believe it is supposed to be like that - what specific part of it are you referring to?

Changed in ugr-meta:
importance: Undecided → Low
status: New → Invalid

It should look like this:
http://uppix.net/b/f/8/bbf7ca0e172356a2f1f49d3b4beef.png
So the WiFi could be switched on/off with a slider and the menu should look like Universal Access, so transparent black.
If needed, i can take a picture about it from Gnome3 liveCD.

JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

I see. This is probably because the GNOME 3 team currently has an older version of network manager in their PPA, and hasn't upgraded it yet.

Changed in ugr-meta:
status: Invalid → Confirmed
Burin_Khazad (burin-khazad) wrote :

Hi, solution is here : http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10725959&postcount=559

I published an article with a detailled solution in my blog : http://blog.isorez.fr/index.php?post/2011/05/07/Ubuntu-11.04-et-Gnome-3-%3A-int%C3%A9grer-Network-manager (in french, sorry : you can use google in order to translate; if necessary I can translate it).

JC Hulce is right : this is a problem of network manager version. A same bu is for the bluetooth applet but I don't have a solution ...

@Burin_Khazad:
I followed your instructions, restarted the computer and now this is the problem:
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/csenger41/others/Screenshot-1.png
So the design is OK, but functionality is equal with zero, it says both wired and wireless networks are invalid, while my WiFi works good, it connects automatically on startup, though I can't turn it off or change to another network.
What now?
Is there any date on schedule when Gnome3 team upgrades their PPA to the newer version of network manager and bugfix it?

JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

@Burin The package is no longer in that PPA it appears

@Csenger There is no set date, they just update things. I didn't see anything about it in their mailing list.

Burin_Khazad (burin-khazad) wrote :

@Csenger Attila Szabó:
Did you erase network-manager from ubuntu packages with the LP-PPA-ricotz-staging ?

I think that your bug is due to an old version of network-manager, not supported by the new applet. To erase the old network-manager, I suggest to go to Synaptic, select the LP-PPA-ricotz-staging/natty, and select for installation network-manager (it is not automatic when you update). In my computer, it was good and other people confirmed me that it works.

Burin_Khazad (burin-khazad) wrote :

@JC Hulce :

You are right. I had to install another ppa in order to get the compatible network-manager.

@Burin_Khazad:
I can't do what you wrote, because the network-manager is no longer in that PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/staging
What to do now?

Burin_Khazad (burin-khazad) wrote :

@Csenger Attila Szabó:
I don't understand. I see the package in version 0.8.999-1 when I browse this ppa with Synaptic.
I don't know what is wrong for you ... Sorry.

There are two different packages and versions floating around here- the
manager and the applet. The applet is made by the GNOME3 team, the manager
is not. The current applet version

0.8.4~git.20110318t152954.9c4c9a0-0ubuntu1+noindicator1~build1

Here's how my Synaptics looks when I select Ricotz PPA:
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/csenger41/others/Screenshot-3.png
Or maybe I'm the idiot and can't see what you're talking about but please help me.

Burin_Khazad (burin-khazad) wrote :

I just look mine after another "apt-get update" and the package becomes extinct ...

Now, these packages are in the "local" repository. I will try to export them but I don't know when I can do that.

Burin_Khazad (burin-khazad) wrote :

The best solution may be to ask to Rico Tzschichholz if he can re publish these packages in his repository.

I don't know how to contact him ...

Burin_Khazad (burin-khazad) wrote :

Ok, you can try with this :

https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/staging/+build/2486415

You must download all packages and install them.

In my computer, I have these packages installed :

gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0
libnm-glib-vpn1
libnm-glib4
libnm-util2
network-manager

and network-manager-gnome but any package has this name ...

is there a link for i386 as well ?
thanks BB

2011/5/11 Burin_Khazad <email address hidden>

> Ok, you can try with this :
>
> https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/staging/+build/2486415<https://launchpad.net/%7Ericotz/+archive/staging/+build/2486415>
>
> You must download all packages and install them.
>
> In my computer, I have these packages installed :
>
> gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0
> libnm-glib-vpn1
> libnm-glib4
> libnm-util2
> network-manager
>
> and network-manager-gnome but any package has this name ...
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
> GNOME Remix: Testing Team, which is subscribed to UGR (Ubuntu Gnome
> Remix) Project.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/779389
>
> Title:
> network manager looks weird
>
> Status in Ubuntu Gnome Remix Metapackages:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> I have used the UGR version 0.0.1, 0.0.2 and now 0.1.0, but there have
> been a weird thing in both ones.
> The network manager between the Clock and the Universal Access button
> looks like this if I open it:
> http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/csenger41/others/20110508157.jpg
> Sorry for the quality, but the screenshot function is not working if that
> menu is opened.
> Is it intented to be like this, or it is just for me?
> It is fully functioning, the only problem is the lack of design.
>
> --
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~ugr-testing
> Post to : <email address hidden>
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~ugr-testing
> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

--
Brian M Baker
Mila Str, 5
Berlin,10437
Germany.
Mobile: 004917665007039
<email address hidden>
Skype brian.m.baker108

brian baker (brian-m-baker) wrote :

after a bit of messing around i figured it out
first install the testing ppa and then the the staging ppa
https://launchpad.net/~ricotz

wks great

2011/5/11 Burin_Khazad <email address hidden>

> Yes, it is.
>
> https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/staging/+build/2486414<https://launchpad.net/%7Ericotz/+archive/staging/+build/2486414>
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
> GNOME Remix: Testing Team, which is subscribed to UGR (Ubuntu Gnome
> Remix) Project.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/779389
>
> Title:
> network manager looks weird
>
> Status in Ubuntu Gnome Remix Metapackages:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> I have used the UGR version 0.0.1, 0.0.2 and now 0.1.0, but there have
> been a weird thing in both ones.
> The network manager between the Clock and the Universal Access button
> looks like this if I open it:
> http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/csenger41/others/20110508157.jpg
> Sorry for the quality, but the screenshot function is not working if that
> menu is opened.
> Is it intented to be like this, or it is just for me?
> It is fully functioning, the only problem is the lack of design.
>
> --
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~ugr-testing
> Post to : <email address hidden>
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~ugr-testing
> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

--
Brian M Baker
Mila Str, 5
Berlin,10437
Germany.
Mobile: 004917665007039
<email address hidden>
Skype brian.m.baker108

@brian baker:
thanks for the suggestion, worked great! :)
please include this network manager version in the ugr ppa too, so I won't have to have so many PPAs... :D

off: where should I post new feature suggestions?

Burin_Khazad (burin-khazad) wrote :

Oh, thanks for this information. I update my article. ;)

JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

I will copy these network manager packages to the dev channel. If all goes good, I will them copy them to main.

Changed in ugr-meta:
status: Confirmed → In Progress
assignee: nobody → JC Hulce (soaringsky)
JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

Does anyone have feedback? The new network manager packages have been in dev for about a day. If they work correctly, I'd like to move them to main.

JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

I forgot to copy over wpasupplicant, so that broke network-manager temporarily. Trying again...

JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

Ok, it kind of has a strange dependency change. I'll need to change ugr-meta. But it works.

The following extra packages will be installed:
  network-manager-gnome
Suggested packages:
  network-manager-openvpn-gnome network-manager-vpnc-gnome
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  network-manager-pptp network-manager-pptp-gnome
The following packages will be upgraded:
  network-manager network-manager-gnome
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

So, how can I install it now? Is it available in UGR version 0.1.1 Nebula?
I bought a new computer, so I have to start everything from the beginning.
Someone please post an easy how-to.

JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

You need to install ugr from here: http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/install
then install dev channel from here: http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/dev-preview-channel
Then run: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and you should have the latest network manager

We have targeted this for release in 0.2.0

JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

By the way, network manager will still look strange when this version (0.8.999) is used, as 0.9.0 or newer is required to get the designed look. There isn't much we can do about this other than wait for the GNOME 3 team to package it.

JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

Ubuntu Oneiric uses network manager 0.9 apparently. Since the 1.0 (and technically 0.4) families will use Oneiric, this will be fixed in 1.0 (hopefully in the rc)

Changed in ugr-meta:
milestone: none → 1.0.0-rc
JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

This is fixed in Oneiric. Every release from 1.0 forward in addition to users who use 0.3.0.3 and above on Oneiric will have this fixed. Marking as fix committed. Update to fix released when 1.0 comes out.

Changed in ugr-meta:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Jeremy Newton (alexjnewt) wrote :

Maybe for now you can just make the default theme have the gnome 3 style icon for the out of date Network manager instead. Basically just produce a faux icon to seem like it matches.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers