Contact Picker - searching for a contact searches incorrect fields

Bug #551602 reported by John Lea on 2010-03-30
14
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ubuntu One Client
Low
Ubuntu One Client Engineering team
ubuntuone-client (Ubuntu)
Low
Ubuntu One Client Engineering team
Maverick
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Searching for a contact searches incorrect fields. For example, the fields "Spouse" and "Assistant" are searched! The following contact information fields should excluded from the search:

* Manager
* Assistant
* Spouse

John Lea (johnlea) on 2010-03-30
Changed in ubuntuone-client:
assignee: nobody → Rodrigo Moya (rodrigo-moya)
tags: added: u1-maverick
removed: u1-lucid
Rodrigo Moya (rodrigo-moya) wrote :

It searches all fields, because users might want to search by company, or by IM screen name, etc, etc. I'm not sure we want to limit the searching to just those 3 fields

John Lenton (chipaca) wrote :

Is this a bug? I find it a nice feature...

John Lenton (chipaca) on 2010-04-14
Changed in ubuntuone-client:
assignee: Rodrigo Moya (rodrigo-moya) → nobody
John Lea (johnlea) wrote :

This is a bug, for example searching for 'eva' (my wife) would return my name! It would not be apparent why my name appeared - it would look like the search is not functioning correctly. Perhaps a better way to phrase this bug would be to exclude the following fields from the search:

* Manager
* Assistant
* Spouse

I've updated the bug description

description: updated
tags: added: contacts-picker desktop+
Changed in ubuntuone-client:
status: New → Confirmed
assignee: nobody → Ubuntu One Desktop+ team (ubuntuone-desktop+)
Rodrigo Moya (rodrigo-moya) wrote :

I still think this is a nice feature, since it allows doing searches by company, email addresses, managers, etc. So not sure we want to "fix" this at all

Matt Griffin (mattgriffin) wrote :

I think this would only be helpful if we displayed more information in the search results to show that the picker has found matches outside of first/last name. It's confusing when some results display character matches and some don't.

Changed in ubuntuone-client:
assignee: Ubuntu One Desktop+ team (ubuntuone-desktop+) → Rodrigo Moya (rodrigo-moya)
tags: added: u1-natty
removed: u1-maverick
Changed in ubuntuone-client (Ubuntu Maverick):
status: New → Won't Fix
Changed in ubuntuone-client:
assignee: Rodrigo Moya (rodrigo-moya) → Ubuntu One Desktop+ team (ubuntuone-desktop+)
Changed in ubuntuone-client (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in ubuntuone-client:
importance: Undecided → Low
Changed in ubuntuone-client (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
assignee: nobody → Ubuntu One Desktop+ team (ubuntuone-desktop+)
Leo Arias (elopio) on 2012-04-17
tags: added: natty
removed: u1-natty
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers

Related blueprints