While the patch fixes the issue where Xsession was writing a LANGUAGE variable with incorrect syntax, now we've got a situation where:
• GDM can only write LANG (and the LC_xx categories)
• language-selector can write LANGUAGE
• That effectively means that the language one selects in GDM is useless, since LANGUAGE has precedence
• In some applications LANG (or LC_xxx) is used, though.
As a test, in my Catalan session I logged out, chose German as the language in GDM, logged back in and noticed:
• Most applications are in Catalan
• The calendar is half Catalan, half German
• Firefox is in German
This can be potentially very confusing to users switching locales.
Arne, could you comment on this? Should we open a separate bug?