Mouse trails disappear only on window refresh

Bug #1569876 reported by Avishay on 2016-04-13
18
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

While using nouveau, when I move the mouse it leaves trails that disappear when I move the mouse over them or when I refresh the screen. The mouse cursor is distorted when moving it slowly which makes it harder to click on small buttons (e.g., resizing a window) as it's hard to tell where exactly the mouse is located.

WORKAROUND: Use nivida 367.18.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
Package: xorg 1:7.7+13ubuntu3
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-18.34-generic 4.4.6
Uname: Linux 4.4.0-18-generic x86_64
.tmp.unity.support.test.0:

ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu1
Architecture: amd64
BootLog: /dev/sda6: clean, 789425/48300032 files, 33613548/193179136 blocks
CompizPlugins: No value set for `/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
CompositorRunning: None
CurrentDesktop: KDE
Date: Wed Apr 13 15:29:36 2016
DistUpgraded: Fresh install
DistroCodename: xenial
DistroVariant: kubuntu
DkmsStatus:
 bbswitch, 0.8, 4.4.0-17-generic, x86_64: installed
 bbswitch, 0.8, 4.4.0-18-generic, x86_64: installed
ExtraDebuggingInterest: No
GraphicsCard:
 Intel Corporation Skylake Integrated Graphics [8086:191b] (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
   Subsystem: Lenovo Skylake Integrated Graphics [17aa:222e]
 NVIDIA Corporation GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M] [10de:13b1] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
   Subsystem: Lenovo GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M] [17aa:222e]
InstallationDate: Installed on 2016-04-01 (12 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Beta amd64 (20160331)
MachineType: LENOVO 20EN0013US
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-18-generic root=UUID=8e0207fc-0fb8-42e7-9dfc-a301c74d2146 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
SourcePackage: xorg
Symptom: display
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
dmi.bios.date: 03/08/2016
dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.bios.version: N1EET47W (1.21 )
dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
dmi.board.name: 20EN0013US
dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.board.version: SDK0J40705 WIN
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.chassis.version: None
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvrN1EET47W(1.21):bd03/08/2016:svnLENOVO:pn20EN0013US:pvrThinkPadP50:rvnLENOVO:rn20EN0013US:rvrSDK0J40705WIN:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNone:
dmi.product.name: 20EN0013US
dmi.product.version: ThinkPad P50
dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO
version.compiz: compiz 1:0.9.12.2+16.04.20160331-0ubuntu1
version.ia32-libs: ia32-libs N/A
version.libdrm2: libdrm2 2.4.67-1
version.libgl1-mesa-dri: libgl1-mesa-dri 11.2.0-1ubuntu1
version.libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental: libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental N/A
version.libgl1-mesa-glx: libgl1-mesa-glx 11.2.0-1ubuntu1
version.xserver-xorg-core: xserver-xorg-core 2:1.18.3-1ubuntu2
version.xserver-xorg-input-evdev: xserver-xorg-input-evdev 1:2.10.1-1ubuntu2
version.xserver-xorg-video-ati: xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:7.7.0-1
version.xserver-xorg-video-intel: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.917+git20160325-1ubuntu1
version.xserver-xorg-video-nouveau: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.12-1build2
xserver.bootTime: Wed Apr 13 07:51:19 2016
xserver.configfile: default
xserver.errors:
 Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
 Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
 Unknown chipset: NV117
xserver.logfile: /var/log/Xorg.0.log
xserver.version: 2:1.18.3-1ubuntu2

Avishay (avishay-livne) wrote :
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in xorg (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in xorg (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Critical
tags: added: bios-outdated-1.26
removed: cursor mouse resolution
Changed in xorg (Ubuntu):
importance: Critical → Low
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Avishay (avishay-livne) wrote :

Hi,

I've updated my BIOS to 1.26 and I couldn't observe a difference in behavior.
I still see mouse trails when using the Nouveau display driver.
The NVIDIA driver (now at version 367.18) still works in one setup (no mouse trails) but doesn't seem to work in another setup (screen flickers and then freezes). By one setup / another setup I mean using different external monitors, both connected via DisplayPort, HDMI doesn't seem to work at all.

1. The output you asked for:
> sudo dmidecode -s bios-version && sudo dmidecode -s bios-release-date
N1EET52W (1.26 )
05/10/2016

2. No improvement.

3. Marked status as New.

Changed in xorg (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → New
description: updated
Avishay (avishay-livne) wrote :

Using nivida 367.18 is not a great workaround as it doesn't work with one of my external monitors.

Thanks for looking into it

Avishay, to clarify, is there an older version of the nvidia proprietary drivers that would provide a better WORKAROUND?

tags: added: latest-bios-1.26
removed: bios-outdated-1.26
Changed in xorg (Ubuntu):
importance: Low → Medium
status: New → Incomplete
Avishay (avishay-livne) wrote :

I've tested 4 different versions of nvidia drivers and all behaved the same. I haven't encountered a version that provided a better workaround.

I haven't mentioned it in the original post but it's probably relevant - if I switch an external monitor the new monitor is not detected. In order for the laptop to detect a new external monitor I need to logout/reboot.

Avishay, to clarify, which 4 different version of the nvidia drivers specifically?

Download full text (4.2 KiB)

367.27, 364.19, 358.16, 361.45.11

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Christopher M. Penalver <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Avishay, to clarify, which 4 different version of the nvidia drivers
> specifically?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1569876
>
> Title:
> Mouse trails disappear only on window refresh
>
> Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> While using nouveau, when I move the mouse it leaves trails that
> disappear when I move the mouse over them or when I refresh the
> screen. The mouse cursor is distorted when moving it slowly which
> makes it harder to click on small buttons (e.g., resizing a window) as
> it's hard to tell where exactly the mouse is located.
>
> WORKAROUND: Use nivida 367.18.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
> Package: xorg 1:7.7+13ubuntu3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-18.34-generic 4.4.6
> Uname: Linux 4.4.0-18-generic x86_64
> .tmp.unity.support.test.0:
>
> ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: amd64
> BootLog: /dev/sda6: clean, 789425/48300032 files, 33613548/193179136
> blocks
> CompizPlugins: No value set for
> `/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
> CompositorRunning: None
> CurrentDesktop: KDE
> Date: Wed Apr 13 15:29:36 2016
> DistUpgraded: Fresh install
> DistroCodename: xenial
> DistroVariant: kubuntu
> DkmsStatus:
> bbswitch, 0.8, 4.4.0-17-generic, x86_64: installed
> bbswitch, 0.8, 4.4.0-18-generic, x86_64: installed
> ExtraDebuggingInterest: No
> GraphicsCard:
> Intel Corporation Skylake Integrated Graphics [8086:191b] (rev 06)
> (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> Subsystem: Lenovo Skylake Integrated Graphics [17aa:222e]
> NVIDIA Corporation GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M] [10de:13b1] (rev a2)
> (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> Subsystem: Lenovo GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M] [17aa:222e]
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2016-04-01 (12 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Beta amd64
> (20160331)
> MachineType: LENOVO 20EN0013US
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-18-generic
> root=UUID=8e0207fc-0fb8-42e7-9dfc-a301c74d2146 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
> SourcePackage: xorg
> Symptom: display
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> dmi.bios.date: 03/08/2016
> dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
> dmi.bios.version: N1EET47W (1.21 )
> dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
> dmi.board.name: 20EN0013US
> dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
> dmi.board.version: SDK0J40705 WIN
> dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
> dmi.chassis.type: 10
> dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
> dmi.chassis.version: None
> dmi.modalias:
> dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvrN1EET47W(1.21):bd03/08/2016:svnLENOVO:pn20EN0013US:pvrThinkPadP50:rvnLENOVO:rn20EN0013US:rvrSDK0J40705WIN:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNone:
> dmi.product.name: 20EN0013US
> dmi.product.version: ThinkPad P50
> dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO
> version.compiz: compiz 1:0.9.12.2+16.04.20160331-0ubuntu1
> version.ia32-libs: ia32-libs N/A
> version.libdrm2: libdrm...

Read more...

Avishay, could you please boot without any nvidia proprietary drivers installed, and then attach to this report uncompressed/untarred:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
/var/log/dmesg

Avishay (avishay-livne) wrote :
Avishay (avishay-livne) wrote :
Avishay (avishay-livne) wrote :

dmesg is empty, is there another log file you want me to upload?

Avishay (avishay-livne) wrote :

Avishay, to confirm this is an upstream issue, could you please test http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/ and advise to the results?

affects: xorg (Ubuntu) → xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)
Avishay (avishay-livne) wrote :

I'm not sure I understand. You want me to replace my Ubuntu 16.04 with 16.10 and see if the bug reproduces?
The mouse trails disappear on 16.04 when I use nvidia's driver (but then I can't use my external monitors properly)

Avishay, if it is reproducible in a live environment, that would be a sufficient test.

Avishay (avishay-livne) wrote :
Download full text (4.3 KiB)

what is considered to be a "live" environment? sorry for not being familiar
with the terminology

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Christopher M. Penalver <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Avishay, if it is reproducible in a live environment, that would be a
> sufficient test.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1569876
>
> Title:
> Mouse trails disappear only on window refresh
>
> Status in xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> While using nouveau, when I move the mouse it leaves trails that
> disappear when I move the mouse over them or when I refresh the
> screen. The mouse cursor is distorted when moving it slowly which
> makes it harder to click on small buttons (e.g., resizing a window) as
> it's hard to tell where exactly the mouse is located.
>
> WORKAROUND: Use nivida 367.18.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
> Package: xorg 1:7.7+13ubuntu3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-18.34-generic 4.4.6
> Uname: Linux 4.4.0-18-generic x86_64
> .tmp.unity.support.test.0:
>
> ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: amd64
> BootLog: /dev/sda6: clean, 789425/48300032 files, 33613548/193179136
> blocks
> CompizPlugins: No value set for
> `/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
> CompositorRunning: None
> CurrentDesktop: KDE
> Date: Wed Apr 13 15:29:36 2016
> DistUpgraded: Fresh install
> DistroCodename: xenial
> DistroVariant: kubuntu
> DkmsStatus:
> bbswitch, 0.8, 4.4.0-17-generic, x86_64: installed
> bbswitch, 0.8, 4.4.0-18-generic, x86_64: installed
> ExtraDebuggingInterest: No
> GraphicsCard:
> Intel Corporation Skylake Integrated Graphics [8086:191b] (rev 06)
> (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> Subsystem: Lenovo Skylake Integrated Graphics [17aa:222e]
> NVIDIA Corporation GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M] [10de:13b1] (rev a2)
> (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> Subsystem: Lenovo GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M] [17aa:222e]
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2016-04-01 (12 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Beta amd64
> (20160331)
> MachineType: LENOVO 20EN0013US
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-18-generic
> root=UUID=8e0207fc-0fb8-42e7-9dfc-a301c74d2146 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
> SourcePackage: xorg
> Symptom: display
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> dmi.bios.date: 03/08/2016
> dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
> dmi.bios.version: N1EET47W (1.21 )
> dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
> dmi.board.name: 20EN0013US
> dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
> dmi.board.version: SDK0J40705 WIN
> dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
> dmi.chassis.type: 10
> dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
> dmi.chassis.version: None
> dmi.modalias:
> dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvrN1EET47W(1.21):bd03/08/2016:svnLENOVO:pn20EN0013US:pvrThinkPadP50:rvnLENOVO:rn20EN0013US:rvrSDK0J40705WIN:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNone:
> dmi.product.name: 20EN0013US
> dmi.product.version: ThinkPad P50
> dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO
> version.compiz: compiz 1:0.9.12.2...

Read more...

Avishay, a live environment is where one runs it from a DVD or USB drive.

Avishay (avishay-livne) wrote :

Hi,

I've just confirm that the issue reproduces in the live environment installed from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Avishay, the issue you are reporting is an upstream one. Could you please report this problem through the appropriate channel by following the instructions verbatim at http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/Bugs/ ?

Please provide a direct URL to your bug report once you have made it so that it may be tracked.

Thank you for your help.

tags: added: yakkaty
Changed in xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Triaged
Mathew Hodson (mhodson) on 2016-07-20
tags: added: yakkety
removed: yakkaty
Edward Gibbs (gibbs-edward) wrote :

I am having a nearly identical problem with my P50 and an ASUS external monitor.

In my case the trails last for a second or two then go away until I move the mouse again. I have the same distorted cursor problem.

I've tried connecting with DP and HDMI, using proprietary or community drivers, purging nvidia drivers and reloading, etc. By accident I have discovered that opening the System Settings and going to the Display settings (just going to them, not doing anything there) fixes it for as long as the Display settings are open. As soon as I close Display settings it comes right back.

Edward Gibbs, it will help immensely if you filed a new report with Ubuntu by ensuring you have the package xdiagnose installed, and that you click the Yes button for attaching additional debugging information running the following from a terminal:
ubuntu-bug xorg

Also, please feel free to subscribe me to it.

For more on why this is helpful, please see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingBugs.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers