[Browser] F11 should toggle app-level fullscreen

Bug #1464333 reported by Ugo Riboni
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ubuntu UX
Fix Released
Medium
James Mulholland
webbrowser-app (Ubuntu)
Fix Released
Medium
Olivier Tilloy

Bug Description

Pressing F11 should toggle the application level fullscreen.
Note that this is different from page level fullscreen, which is triggered by the page itself.

We should research if we want to merge the two concepts so that for the user there is only one notion of fullscreen and only one way to exit fullscreen, regardless of how it was activated (F11 or page interaction).

Or if we want to have to have one way to escape app level fullscreen (e.g. F11) and one to escape page level fullscreen (e.g. ESC)

[Design Comment]
Agree with Bill Filler & Olivier Tilloy's first suggestion (i.e. concepts should be merged/ be consistent). It would appear they do not need to be mutually exclusive, so:

- If Page triggers fullscreen: Navigating back/away from page that triggered FS, Pressing f11 (toggle FS/ Windowed) or Pressing Esc (return to windowed from FS only) returns to windowed mode.

- If User triggers fullscreen: Navigation has no effect on FS/ Windowed modes, Pressing f11 (toggle FS/ Windowed) or Pressing Esc (return to windowed from FS only) returns to windowed mode.

Related branches

Olivier Tilloy (osomon)
Changed in webbrowser-app (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
importance: Undecided → Medium
Revision history for this message
Bill Filler (bfiller) wrote :

we should merge the concepts I think so there is one notion of fullscreen regardless of how it's triggered

Revision history for this message
Olivier Tilloy (osomon) wrote :

If the page itself issued a fullscreen request, navigating away from this page would return to windowed mode.
If the user requested fullscreen, they would expect the window to remain fullscreen while navigating.

This is how other desktop browsers behave.

Revision history for this message
Olivier Tilloy (osomon) wrote :

Note that in chromium on desktop, when fullscreen is triggered by the page, both ESC and F11 exit it (whereas when requested by the user, only F11 exits it).

Olivier Tilloy (osomon)
Changed in webbrowser-app (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Olivier Tilloy (osomon)
status: Confirmed → In Progress
Revision history for this message
Olivier Tilloy (osomon) wrote :

Added an ubuntu-ux task to get guidance from a UX designer: wouldn’t it be confusing for people to have two different ways to exit fullscreen mode (ESC and F11) depending on the kind of fullscreen mode (page-initiated or user-initiated)? Should we also map F11 to exiting page-initiated fullscreen?

Changed in ubuntu-ux:
assignee: nobody → James Mulholland (jamesjosephmulholland)
importance: Undecided → Medium
Revision history for this message
Olivier Tilloy (osomon) wrote :

Note that firefox on desktop behaves similarly: F11 toggles fullscreen mode regardless of how it was initiated, whereas ESC works to exit fullscreen mode only when page-initiated. The difference with chromium is that hovering the mouse towards the top edge of the screen temporarily reveals the chrome.

Revision history for this message
Bill Filler (bfiller) wrote : Re: [Ubuntu-apps-bugs] [Bug 1464333] Re: F11 should toggle app-level fullscreen

Yes we should map esc and F11 to exiting page and/or app full screen mode

> On Jun 17, 2015, at 6:20 AM, Olivier Tilloy <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Added an ubuntu-ux task to get guidance from a UX designer: wouldn’t it
> be confusing for people to have two different ways to exit fullscreen
> mode (ESC and F11) depending on the kind of fullscreen mode (page-
> initiated or user-initiated)? Should we also map F11 to exiting page-
> initiated fullscreen?
>
> ** Also affects: ubuntu-ux
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
> Apps bug tracking, which is subscribed to webbrowser-app in Ubuntu.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1464333
>
> Title:
> F11 should toggle app-level fullscreen
>
> Status in Ubuntu UX bugs:
> New
> Status in webbrowser-app package in Ubuntu:
> In Progress
>
> Bug description:
> Pressing F11 should toggle the application level fullscreen.
> Note that this is different from page level fullscreen, which is triggered by the page itself.
>
> We should research if we want to merge the two concepts so that for
> the user there is only one notion of fullscreen and only one way to
> exit fullscreen, regardless of how it was activated (F11 or page
> interaction).
>
> Or if we want to have to have one way to escape app level fullscreen
> (e.g. F11) and one to escape page level fullscren (e.g. ESC)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-ux/+bug/1464333/+subscriptions
>
> --
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-apps-bugs
> Post to : <email address hidden>
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-apps-bugs
> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

description: updated
Changed in ubuntu-ux:
status: New → Fix Committed
Revision history for this message
John Lea (johnlea) wrote :

+1

On 17/06/15 12:19, Bill Filler wrote:
> Yes we should map esc and F11 to exiting page and/or app full screen
> mode
>
>
>> On Jun 17, 2015, at 6:20 AM, Olivier Tilloy <email address hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Added an ubuntu-ux task to get guidance from a UX designer: wouldn’t it
>> be confusing for people to have two different ways to exit fullscreen
>> mode (ESC and F11) depending on the kind of fullscreen mode (page-
>> initiated or user-initiated)? Should we also map F11 to exiting page-
>> initiated fullscreen?
>>
>> ** Also affects: ubuntu-ux
>> Importance: Undecided
>> Status: New
>>
>> --
>> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
>> Apps bug tracking, which is subscribed to webbrowser-app in Ubuntu.
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1464333
>>
>> Title:
>> F11 should toggle app-level fullscreen
>>
>> Status in Ubuntu UX bugs:
>> New
>> Status in webbrowser-app package in Ubuntu:
>> In Progress
>>
>> Bug description:
>> Pressing F11 should toggle the application level fullscreen.
>> Note that this is different from page level fullscreen, which is triggered by the page itself.
>>
>> We should research if we want to merge the two concepts so that for
>> the user there is only one notion of fullscreen and only one way to
>> exit fullscreen, regardless of how it was activated (F11 or page
>> interaction).
>>
>> Or if we want to have to have one way to escape app level fullscreen
>> (e.g. F11) and one to escape page level fullscren (e.g. ESC)
>>
>> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-ux/+bug/1464333/+subscriptions
>>
>> --
>> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-apps-bugs
>> Post to : <email address hidden>
>> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-apps-bugs
>> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

--
John Lea | Head of UX Architecture & Delivery
Canonical www.canonical.com | Ubuntu www.ubuntu.com
5th Floor, Blue Fin Building, 110 Southwark Street, London SE1 0SU
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7630 2415 | Email: <email address hidden>

Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote : Re: F11 should toggle app-level fullscreen

This bug was fixed in the package webbrowser-app - 0.23+15.10.20150618-0ubuntu1

---------------
webbrowser-app (0.23+15.10.20150618-0ubuntu1) wily; urgency=medium

  [ CI Train Bot ]
  * New rebuild forced.

  [ Michael Terry ]
  * Fix spelling of OK in private browsing dialog.

  [ Olivier Tilloy ]
  * Actually push URLs to the clipboard. For some reason setting the
    "text/url-list" mime type doesn’t seem to work (or other
    applications do not implement pasting this kind of data), but
    "text/plain" works well enough for this purpose. (LP: #1463435)
  * Do not honour fullscreen requests silently at the Ubuntu WebView
    level. Instead delegate that behaviour to the webview implementation
    used by the browser and the webapp container. (LP: #1464249)
  * Toggle application-level fullscreen when pressing F11. (LP:
    #1464333)

  [ Ugo Riboni ]
  * Make the browser chrome usable on desktop by implementing common
    keyboard shortcuts and behaviors that users normally expect in such
    an app (LP: #1287361)

 -- CI Train Bot <email address hidden> Thu, 18 Jun 2015 08:12:37 +0000

Changed in webbrowser-app (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
summary: - F11 should toggle app-level fullscreen
+ [Browser] F11 should toggle app-level fullscreen
Changed in ubuntu-ux:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers