Ubuntu

A unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade.

Reported by hpmurad on 2008-08-01
6
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
update-manager (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Michael Vogt

Bug Description

Binary package hint: update-manager

1) Ubuntu 8.04 - the Hardy Heron - released in April 2008.
2)W: Unable to locate package pkgProblemResolver
3) Expected Task: update the system
4) The update task was not executed.
5) Msg in Dialog Box:
Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:
'E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.'

Daniel Moerner (dmoerner) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. Could you please add the log files from '/var/log/dist-upgrade/' to this bug report as attachments? Thanks in advance.

The error also mentions held packages. If you type "dpkg --get-selections | grep hold" do you get any output?

  • term.log Edit (342.4 KiB, application/octet-stream; name=term.log)
  • apt-term.log Edit (342.2 KiB, application/octet-stream; name=apt-term.log)
  • main.log Edit (50.5 KiB, application/octet-stream; name=main.log)
  • term.log Edit (342.4 KiB, application/octet-stream; name=term.log)

Daniel,

Thanks for your contact!
Replying your request in the body of text below:

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Daniel Moerner <email address hidden> wrote:

> Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
> Ubuntu better. Could you please add the log files from '/var/log/dist-
> upgrade/' to this bug report as attachments? Thanks in advance.
>

 See attachment!

>
> The error also mentions held packages. If you type "dpkg --get-
> selections | grep hold" do you get any output?

No response!

Have a nice weekend,

Hudson

>
> --
> A unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/254014
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in "update-manager" source package in Ubuntu: New
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: update-manager
>
> 1) Ubuntu 8.04 - the Hardy Heron - released in April 2008.
> 2)W: Unable to locate package pkgProblemResolver
> 3) Expected Task: update the system
> 4) The update task was not executed.
> 5) Msg in Dialog Box:
> Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the
> following error message:
> 'E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused
> by held packages.'
>

Michael Vogt (mvo) wrote :

Thanks for your bugreport.

Could you please open a terminal and run:
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and attach the output of that?

Thanks,
 Michael

Changed in update-manager:
assignee: nobody → mvo
status: New → Incomplete
hpmurad (hpmurad) wrote :

Michael,

Below, the output required:

" Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Failed
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  python-zodb: Depends: python-zopeinterface
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused
by held packages."

Best regards,

Hudson

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Michael Vogt <email address hidden>wrote:

> Thanks for your bugreport.
>
> Could you please open a terminal and run:
> $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> and attach the output of that?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael
>
> ** Changed in: update-manager (Ubuntu)
> Assignee: (unassigned) => Michael Vogt (mvo)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> A unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/254014
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in "update-manager" source package in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: update-manager
>
> 1) Ubuntu 8.04 - the Hardy Heron - released in April 2008.
> 2)W: Unable to locate package pkgProblemResolver
> 3) Expected Task: update the system
> 4) The update task was not executed.
> 5) Msg in Dialog Box:
> Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the
> following error message:
> 'E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused
> by held packages.'
>

Michael Vogt (mvo) wrote :

Thanks for this additional information:

Could you please run:
$ apt-cache policy python-zodb python-zopeinterface

Michael Vogt (mvo) wrote :

How did you install python-zodb? Via synaptic/gnome-app-install/apt-get/dpkg ?

Jean-Baptiste Lallement (jibel) wrote :

Michael, this is likely a dup of bug 250751 . The same packages are failing but we don't know if it's the same source ( http://ppa.launchpad.net/schooltool-owners/ubuntu )

Jean-Baptiste Lallement (jibel) wrote :

We are closing this bug report because it lacks the information we need to investigate the problem, as described in the previous comments. Please reopen it if you can give us the missing information, and don't hesitate to submit bug reports in the future. To reopen the bug report you can click on the current status, under the Status column, and change the Status back to "New". Thanks again!

Changed in update-manager:
status: Incomplete → Invalid

same bug in upgrading to ubuntu 10.10 from 10.04
In the attachment the log files from dist-upgrade

Changed in update-manager (Ubuntu):
status: Invalid → New

I do not know how to attach multiple files...
term.log file is empty

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers