Downloaded subtitles not showing

Bug #883694 reported by el_gallo_azul on 2011-10-30
54
This bug affects 12 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
totem (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

A recent (within the last two weeks) update of the Totem application means that I can enable the 'Subtitle Downloader' plugin now. However, if I use the plugin while a movie is playing, it seems to work when 'Find' subtitles is selected, and often one or more subtitle files appear. If I select one of the subtitle files, and click 'Play with Subtitle':
1. The progress bar (below the file list) moves, and then stops moving.
2. The 'Play with Subtitle' button is greyed out.
3. The cursor shows as the 'something's happening' icon, and stays that way indefinitely - at least 10 minutes.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
Package: totem 3.0.1-0ubuntu7.1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-12.20-generic 3.0.4
Uname: Linux 3.0.0-12-generic i686
ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu3
Architecture: i386
Date: Sun Oct 30 09:21:53 2011
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/totem
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release i386 (20101007)
SourcePackage: totem
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-10-14 (15 days ago)

el_gallo_azul (el-gallo-azul) wrote :
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in totem (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Bruno Santos (bsantos) wrote :

The plugin has some error in the subtitle saving function. I tried to fix it, and it seems to be working, though it may need some work by someone who knows what they're doing (and the Gio API). :-P

Bruno Santos (bsantos) wrote :

I uploaded the package to my ppa, so if you want to try the patch and give some feedback, check it here:
https://launchpad.net/~bsantos/+archive/ppa (only amd64 is built yet)

The attachment "Trying to fix the saving of downloaded subtitles" of this bug report has been identified as being a patch. The ubuntu-reviewers team has been subscribed to the bug report so that they can review the patch. In the event that this is in fact not a patch you can resolve this situation by removing the tag 'patch' from the bug report and editing the attachment so that it is not flagged as a patch. Additionally, if you are member of the ubuntu-sponsors please also unsubscribe the team from this bug report.

[This is an automated message performed by a Launchpad user owned by Brian Murray. Please contact him regarding any issues with the action taken in this bug report.]

tags: added: patch
el_gallo_azul (el-gallo-azul) wrote :

I tried to install the patch. I added the repositories. I even thought to add the signature key (I think it's called) under 'Authentication' in Software Sources, but I still can't install when I try Software Update (although all the parts of the patch appear - about 10 or so of them) because I get the error message about '...trying to install from software sources that aren't trusted...' or something like that. I don't really know what I'm doing.

Have you tried to use

$ sudo add-apt-repository *ppa:bsantos/ppa

This should take care of the key too.
*
On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 7:08 AM, el_gallo_azul <email address hidden>wrote:

> I tried to install the patch. I added the repositories. I even thought
> to add the signature key (I think it's called) under 'Authentication' in
> Software Sources, but I still can't install when I try Software Update
> (although all the parts of the patch appear - about 10 or so of them)
> because I get the error message about '...trying to install from
> software sources that aren't trusted...' or something like that. I don't
> really know what I'm doing.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/883694
>
> Title:
> Downloaded subtitles not showing
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/totem/+bug/883694/+subscriptions
>

el_gallo_azul (el-gallo-azul) wrote :

Yep I just tried that just then.

The result was

Error: '*ppa:bsantos/ppa' invalid

el_gallo_azul (el-gallo-azul) wrote :

After that, I:

1. Enabled the PPA repositories again
2. Ran Software Update again, this time successfully
3. Ran a .avi file to test the subtitles.

They worked.

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Thank you for your work, what errors where you getting before you fix?

Changed in totem (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

you*r* fix.

Note that I've been looking to git commit, they changed that code quite a bit, but since we don't plan to update totem before the lts it's not clear if we should distro patch or try to backport the current version from git there

Bruno Santos (bsantos) wrote :

On 24-11-2011 14:10, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Thank you for your work, what errors where you getting before your fix?

There wasn't any visible error. When you'd ask to download the subtitle
the GUI would be in occupied state (the working mouse icon) for a while
and nothing happened, although the script failed in the background
(.xsession-errors would show the python error). The GUI would be useless
from then on and the menu item for the plugin disabled.

> Note that I've been looking to git commit, they changed that code quite
> a bit, but since we don't plan to update totem before the lts it's not
> clear if we should distro patch or try to backport the current version
> from git there

If it is possible to backport the new version, it may be preferable,
since the reworked code must be better then the current one (or so I
assume, since it was rewritten as you say).

As long as it works well, do your best. :-)

Michael Terry (mterry) on 2011-12-01
Changed in totem (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Michael Terry (mterry)
Michael Terry (mterry) wrote :

Bruno, thank you so much for the patch. I ended up using a slightly different (specifies Gio.FileCreateFlags.REPLACE_DESTINATION as a replace flag) patch grabbed from upstream git. But same idea.

I've uploaded to precise. Please test if you get a chance! Thanks.

Changed in totem (Ubuntu):
assignee: Michael Terry (mterry) → nobody
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package totem - 3.0.1-0ubuntu11

---------------
totem (3.0.1-0ubuntu11) precise; urgency=low

  * debian/patches/04_port_to_gobject.patch:
    - Port opensubtitles/opensubtitles.py too. LP: #883694
 -- Michael Terry <email address hidden> Thu, 01 Dec 2011 14:49:48 -0500

Changed in totem (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in totem (Ubuntu Oneiric):
status: New → Confirmed
Stéphane Graber (stgraber) wrote :

Couldn't find a debdiff for Oneiric. Unsubscribing sponsors for now, please re-subscribe once a debdiff has been attached.

Thanks!

theghost (theghost) wrote :

@ all Ubuntu Onereic Users who want this to be fixed:

Just use the Gnome PPA from https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3/
This will update Totem to 3.2.1, where this issue is finally fixed.

P.S.: I know that PPAs are not the solution but where is the point in waiting for months until the patch is being backported to the holy Totem 3.0. version.

Adolfo Jayme (fitojb) on 2013-06-27
no longer affects: totem (Ubuntu Oneiric)
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers