Comment 13 for bug 58498

Tim McQ (tmcwho) wrote :

I came across this thread trying to solve the same issue with openSuse 10.3 x86_64 using both maxima versions 5.13.0-2.2 x86_64, 5.14.0-2.1 x86_64 installed from:

http://software.opensuse.org/search?p=1&q=wxmaxima&baseproject=openSUSE%3A10.3

and TeXmacs 1.0.6.9-54 x86_64 installed directly from YaST.

I have the same exact problem where using TeXmacs as a front end to maxima complains: "Unsupported version of maxima: 5.xx.x"

I tried your advice to change the first line of the two scripts, maxima_detect and tm_maxima located in /usr/lib64/TeXmacs/bin, from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/bash.

This does not fix the issue. I did however notice in the script tm_maxima that there is not even an entry for this recent version:

It seems the only versions of maxima compatible with this version of TeXmacs have plugins located in /usr/share/TeXmacs/plugins/maxima/lisp:

The contents of this directory are as follows:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5126 2007-09-21 17:56 texmacs-maxima-5.10.0.lisp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5128 2007-09-21 17:56 texmacs-maxima-5.11.0.lisp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 26027 2007-09-21 17:56 texmacs-maxima-5.6.lisp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7449 2007-09-21 17:56 texmacs-maxima-5.9.0.lisp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1471 2007-09-21 17:56 texmacs-maxima-5.9.1.lisp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5239 2007-09-21 17:56 texmacs-maxima-5.9.2.lisp

I then tried uninstalling all previous versions of maxima and installed the newest one in the list, maxima-5.11.0-1.1.x86_64.rpm, from:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/SUSE_Linux_10.0/repodata/repoview/maxima-0-5.11.0-1.1.html

This one actually did not complain about versions when I launched TeXmacs but it did not run. It said it was "dead" instead of "idle". It also would not work from the terminal either whereas the newer ones did. It complained with the following:

/usr/bin/maxima: unable to determine MAXIMA_PREFIX

This RPM was built for openSuse 10.0 not 10.3 that I am using.

So I next removed this package and grabbed the source for maxima-5.11.0 here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=4933&package_id=4960&release_id=473008

I moved into the source directory and issued a ./configure to generate a makefile but I got this error:

configure: error: No lisp implementation specified and none of the default executables clisp(clisp),gcl(GCL),lisp(CMUCL),scl(SCL),sbcl(SBCL),lisp(ACL),openmcl(OpenMCL) were found in PATH

So I went into YaST and installed clisp. After that finished I did another ./configure then a make and then a make install. This is what I get:

Maxima 5.11.0 http://maxima.sourceforge.net

      Using Lisp CLISP 2.41 (2006-10-13)

      Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.

      Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.

      This is a development version of Maxima. The function bug_report()

      provides bug reporting information.

Looks like it works... This took me quite some time to do but it appears to work. I now have to go through a tutorial to use it and will re post if it does not work.

-Tim