Window header mistype on selecting best server (portuguese system language, at least)

Bug #1377742 reported by Alberto Almeida on 2014-10-05
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
software-properties (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Matthew Paul Thomas
Nominated for Trusty by Matthew Paul Thomas

Bug Description

I believe there is a mistype preventing text from being displayed as the window's header. The "<big>" tag was closed incorrectly and so displayed as ordinary text.

I do not know if this happens with any other version of Ubuntu except for the Portuguese version.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
Package: software-properties-gtk 0.92.37.1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-36.63-generic 3.13.11.6
Uname: Linux 3.13.0-36-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.5
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: Unity
Date: Sun Oct 5 23:28:28 2014
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/software-properties-gtk
InstallationDate: Installed on 2014-09-21 (14 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Beta amd64 (20140326)
InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python3.4
PackageArchitecture: all
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=pt:pt_BR:en
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
 LANG=pt_PT.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: software-properties
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)

Related branches

Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) wrote :

This looks like both a bug in the code, and a bug in the Portuguese localization.

It's a bug in the localization, as you say, because the translator closed the <big> element incorrectly.

It's a bug in the code, because they shouldn't have had to. Making every translator include those exact characters is making them do extra work and risk mistakes like this one. The code should take the localized string and *then* put the <b><big>...</big></b> around it. That should be fairly easy to fix.

Changed in software-properties (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Ubuntu Brazilian Portuguese Translators (ubuntu-l10n-pt-br)
status: New → Confirmed
tags: added: bitesize

Still present in Ubuntu 15.04.

@mpt The bug should be assigned to the ubuntu-l10n-pt team, since it is in Portuguese, and not Brazilian Portuguese.

I tried to assign to ubuntu-l10n-pt, but think I don't have privileges to do it.

Changed in software-properties (Ubuntu):
assignee: Ubuntu Brazilian Portuguese Translators (ubuntu-l10n-pt-br) → nobody
Changed in ubuntu-translations:
assignee: nobody → Ubuntu Portuguese Translators (ubuntu-l10n-pt)

On Portuguese from Portugal it is solved.
Portuguese From Brazil must be pt-br group.

Best regards,

Changed in ubuntu-translations:
status: New → Fix Committed
Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) wrote :

I've added the "Ubuntu Translations" project to track the fixing of the Portuguese translation in 14.04 specifically.

This particular problem seems to have been fixed in the code, but there are a couple of other places where "<big><b>" or "<b><big>" are needlessly left vulnerable to mistakes by translators. I've made a branch to fix those.

Changed in software-properties (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → In Progress

All the "<big><b>" or "<b><big>" were removed from pt_PT. Probably was a translation error from English.

Changed in ubuntu-translations:
status: Fix Committed → New
status: New → Fix Committed
Changed in ubuntu-translations:
assignee: Ubuntu Portuguese Translators (ubuntu-l10n-pt) → Ubuntu Brazilian Portuguese Translators (ubuntu-l10n-pt-br)
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: Fix Committed → Triaged
Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) wrote :

There are no longer any translatable strings in the code containing "<big>".

Changed in software-properties (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
assignee: nobody → Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt)
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package software-properties - 0.96.8

---------------
software-properties (0.96.8) wily; urgency=medium

  * Fix syntax errors in the KDE frontend.

 -- Iain Lane <email address hidden> Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:11:40 +0100

Changed in software-properties (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Adolfo Jayme (fitojb) on 2015-09-24
no longer affects: ubuntu-translations
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers