package myspell-en-gb 1:3.0.1-8ubuntu1 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 9

Bug #368073 reported by boblindley on 2009-04-27
4
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
perl (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

Can't get rid of apt-get update errors.

Can't tell what any new attempt to install anything has done because of long list of errors.

ProblemType: Package
Architecture: i386
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
ErrorMessage: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 9
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
Package: myspell-en-gb 1:3.0.1-8ubuntu1
PackageArchitecture: all
SourcePackage: openoffice.org-dictionaries
Title: package myspell-en-gb 1:3.0.1-8ubuntu1 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 9
Uname: Linux 2.6.28-11-generic i686

added Information from fix broken try:

E: myspell-en-gb: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 9
E: myspell-en-za: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 9
E: openoffice.org-hyphenation: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 9
E: openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 9
E: openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 9
E: wamerican: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 9
E: wbritish: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 9

More information:

Now I can't install anything! It tries to remove the above packages and quits.
This MUST be fixed!

boblindley (bob-brogmoid) wrote :
description: updated
Chris Cheney (ccheney) wrote :

This appears to be an issue with perl.

affects: openoffice.org-dictionaries (Ubuntu) → perl (Ubuntu)
description: updated
Brian Murray (brian-murray) wrote :

From the log:

Setting up myspell-en-gb (1:3.0.1-8ubuntu1) ...^M
DynaLoader object version 1.08 does not match $DynaLoader::XS_VERSION 1.0802 at /etc/perl/DynaLoader.pm line 92.^M
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/Text/Iconv.pm line 9.^M
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Debian/DictionariesCommon.pm line 6.^M
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Debian/DictionariesCommon.pm line 6.^M
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/update-openoffice-dicts line 10.^M
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/update-openoffice-dicts line 10.^M
dpkg: error processing myspell-en-gb (--configure):^M
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status

Brian Murray (brian-murray) wrote :

It looks like you might have a custom version of perl's DynaLoader.pm installed. Where did /etc/perl/DynaLoader.pm come from?

Changed in perl (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
status: New → Incomplete
boblindley (bob-brogmoid) wrote :

Thanks for the accurate comment. I didn't think of that.

I need perl/Tkx so I installed ActivePerl 10 to get it to work. My perl/Tkx scripts now work as they should. It put the new perl in /opt/ActivePerl-5.10.

I installed it with sudo so I guess that it could have messed up something. I can't find a way to uninstall it but I will keep looking. I hate to do that because perl/Tkx will go away. But, that is much better than a broken system.

I checked and ActivePerl has a newer version of DynaLoader.pm than the system has. One would think that a newer version would be OK. But then maybe the system is trying to use the newer perl with some older stuff.

I must get ActivePerl 10 out of the system and then figure out how to get perl/Tkx working again without it.

Perl scripts look for perl in /usr/bin/perl and that is where it put the new perl. I can't take that out or it will cause serious problems because the apt series and dpkg programs all appear to use it.

I tried "sudo aptitude reinstall perl" and no luck. I had errors like:
DynaLoader object version 1.08 does not match $DynaLoader::XS_VERSION 1.0802 at /etc/perl/DynaLoader.pm line 92.
and would not do anything because it IS REALLY USING the new perl with the libraries of the old perl.

Looks like a catch 22 -- dead if you do or dead if you don't.

I don't know how to break the interlock.

The trick is how to do a complete reinstall the proper perl and its libraries etc. without using the broken perl ? ? ? ?

boblindley (bob-brogmoid) wrote :

Problem solved.

Removed ActivePerl and the problem went away.

Thanks for the help.

Vish (vish) wrote :

Thanks for following up. This bug report is being closed due to your last comment regarding this being resolved with Removal of ActivePerl. For future reference you can manage the status of your own bugs by clicking on the current status in the yellow line and then choosing a new status in the revealed drop down box. You can learn more about bug statuses at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status. Thank you again for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. Please submit any future bugs you may find.

Changed in perl (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers