can't handle japanese string in merged cell

Bug #511586 reported by hmatsue on 2010-01-23
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone (Ubuntu)

Bug Description

Binary package hint:

I found that 3.1.1-5ubuntu1 (Ubuntu Version) can not handle Japanese fonts in Microsoft Excel format.
I guess the problem happens when I wrote Japanese fonts in merged cell.
If the problem happend, the string which was in a merged cell would be completely corrupted or become "blank".
On the other hand, 3.1.1 (Original, that I download from can handle exactly same file correctly.

My system is:
Kubuntu 9.10 (amd64)
Kernel 2.6.31-18-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 8 14:54:52 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Best Regards

ProblemType: Bug
Architecture: amd64
Date: Sun Jan 24 00:05:00 2010
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.10
InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release amd64 (20091027)
NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
Package: 1:3.1.1-5ubuntu1
 PATH=(custom, user)
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.31-18.55-generic
Uname: Linux 2.6.31-18-generic x86_64

hmatsue (hmatsue) wrote :
hmatsue (hmatsue) wrote :
hmatsue (hmatsue) wrote :
hmatsue (hmatsue) wrote :

E2:I2(merged cell in MS excel format) contains;
CB 25 B3 25 A1 25 D3 30 EB 30 E1 30 FC 30 BF 30 FC 30 1C 69 DD 91 68 88

I can find those value in sample_data, address 0x00001020-0x00001037:
CB 25 B3 25 A1 25 D3 30 EB 30 E1 30 FC 30 BF 30 FC 30 1C 69 DD 91 68 88

I deleted all Japanese characters and saved the file as sample_data_modified_excel2003.xls
And then, I re-entered exactly same characters again via MS excel 2003.
Now, I can find the values,
CB 25 B3 25 A1 25 D3 30 EB 30 E1 30 FC 30 BF 30 FC 30 1C 69 DD 91 68 88
at 0x00000F79-0x00000F90.
Both of original OOo and Ubuntu OOo can handle this file correctly.

I'm sorry for posting non-English document..

Could anybody give me a clue to solve this problem, please?


Chris Cheney (ccheney) on 2010-05-13
tags: added: kubuntu
tags: added: karmic
hmatsue (hmatsue) wrote :

Now I've moved to Lucid (Kubuntu, amd64), and found OOo Calc workscorrectly.

--versin info from here
$ env LANG=C aptitude show
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4
Priority: optional
Section: editors
Maintainer: Ubuntu Core Developers <email address hidden>
Uncompressed Size: 19.3M
Depends: (= 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4), (=
         1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4), libc6 (>= 2.3.4), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1),
         ure (>= 1.6.0), lp-solve (>=
Conflicts: (< 1.9),, openoffice.org2-calc (<
Replaces: (< 1.9), (< 2.0.3+2.0.4m179),
 (<= 2.2.0-4),, openoffice.org2-calc
          (< 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4), openoffice.org2-core (< 1.9.113-0pre1)
Provides: openoffice.org2-calc
Description: office productivity suite -- spreadsheet is a full-featured office productivity suite that provides a near drop-in
 replacement for Microsoft(R) Office.

 This package contains the spreadsheet component for
--to here

Now, I guess workaround is to move to Lucid.

Chris Cheney (ccheney) wrote :

[This is an automatic notification.]

This bug was reported against an earlier version of Ubuntu, can you test if it still occurs on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)?

Please note we also provide technical support for older versions of Ubuntu, but not in the bug tracker. Instead, to raise the issue through normal support channels, please see:

If you are the original reporter and can still reproduce the issue on Lucid, please run the following command to refresh the report:

  apport-collect 511586

Bear in mind that you may need to install the python-launchpadlib package from the universe repository. Additionally, when prompted to give apport-collect permissions for Launchpad you will need to give it at least the ability to "Change Non-Private" data as it will be adding information to your bug report.

If you are not the original reporter, please file a new bug report, so we can work with you as the original reporter instead (you can reference bug 511586 in your report if you think it may be related):


If by chance you can no longer reproduce the issue on Lucid or if you feel it is no longer relevant, please mark the bug report 'Fix Released' or 'Invalid' as appropriate, at the following URL:

Changed in (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
hmatsue (hmatsue) wrote :

This bug was fixed in Lucid.
Thank you. :)

Changed in (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers