I was unable to solve this with the default Ubuntu kernel (the imon.ko module does not switch to the MCE protocol) and the aforementioned 2.6.36 kernel was unstable, producing kernel oopses and undesired video artifacts with my AMD graphics card.
Wanting to stick with the default kernel, my solution so far was:
- remove the default kernel's /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/lirc/lirc_imon.ko (which does not work, as well)
- install lirc-modules-source package (this will add an old, but working lirc_imon.ko to the module directory)
- Add this blacklist to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-imon.conf:
- Add this entry to /etc/modules:
- Add this parameter to /etc/modprobe.d/lirc_imon.conf:
options lirc_imon ir_protocol=1
With this, my old lirc setup continues to work. Hopefully, this helps others looking for a solution.
Instead of reverting to the old lirc setup, a better solution would be to get Ubuntu's imon.ko to work, though.