All kinds of problems on wake from lid close 18.04

Bug #1785319 reported by tom on 2018-08-03
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

This seems to be multiple packages, Ubuntu 18.04 itself (because 17.10 and all previous versions worked fine), and firmware.

When wake from lid close, GUI freezes up and un-freezes every few seconds.

Wifi won't even scan for networks, much less join one.

Probably more things are wrong, but that's what's visible to me.

Here's dmesg recent errors:

[43548.249307] ath10k_warn: 129 callbacks suppressed
[43548.249309] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32 at 0x0003a028: -110
[43548.285609] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32 at 0x0003a028: -110
[43548.316369] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32 at 0x0003a028: -110
[43548.347057] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32 at 0x0003a028: -110
[43548.382893] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32 at 0x0003a028: -110
[43548.419305] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32 at 0x0003a028: -110
[43548.455788] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32 at 0x0003a028: -110
[43548.492277] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32 at 0x0003a028: -110
[43548.523109] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32 at 0x0003a028: -110
[43548.553793] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32 at 0x0003a028: -110
[43551.161054] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to read device register, device is gone
[43551.270391] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: firmware crashed! (guid c2f1d8ad-ba2b-4c87-a0e1-9dff072ac468)
[43551.270394] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: qca6174 hw3.2 target 0x05030000 chip_id 0x00340aff sub 1a56:1535
[43551.270396] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: kconfig debug 0 debugfs 1 tracing 1 dfs 0 testmode 0
[43551.270803] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: firmware ver WLAN.RM.4.4.1-00079-QCARMSWPZ-1 api 6 features wowlan,ignore-otp crc32 fd869beb
[43551.271233] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: board_file api 2 bmi_id N/A crc32 20d869c3
[43551.271235] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: htt-ver 3.47 wmi-op 4 htt-op 3 cal otp max-sta 32 raw 0 hwcrypto 1
[43551.271242] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to read firmware dump area: -28
[43551.271243] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: Copy Engine register dump:
[43551.417001] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: [00]: 0x00034400 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295
[43551.562682] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: [01]: 0x00034800 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295
[43551.708407] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: [02]: 0x00034c00 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295
[43551.841610] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: [03]: 0x00035000 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295
[43551.975925] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: [04]: 0x00035400 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295
[43552.108938] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: [05]: 0x00035800 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295
[43552.254895] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: [06]: 0x00035c00 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295
[43552.400652] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: [07]: 0x00036000 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295
[43552.400689] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to reset chip: -5
[43552.400690] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: Could not init hif: -5
---
ProblemType: Bug
ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
Architecture: amd64
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC0: tom 1383 F.... pulseaudio
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
InstallationDate: Installed on 2018-04-26 (103 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64 (20180228)
MachineType: Dell Inc. XPS 15 9560
Package: linux (not installed)
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=xterm-256color
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-30-generic root=UUID=9ccc05c8-ea98-4229-a4d3-6d3a292df6df ro quiet splash acpi_rev_override=5 nouveau.modeset=0 enable_psr=1 disable_power_well=0 pci=noaer pcie_aspm=force nmi_watchdog=0 nouveau.runpm=0 vt.handoff=1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.15.0-30.32-generic 4.15.18
RelatedPackageVersions:
 linux-restricted-modules-4.15.0-30-generic N/A
 linux-backports-modules-4.15.0-30-generic N/A
 linux-firmware 1.173.1
Tags: bionic
Uname: Linux 4.15.0-30-generic x86_64
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
_MarkForUpload: True
dmi.bios.date: 04/23/2018
dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.bios.version: 1.9.4
dmi.board.name: 0JHP5H
dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.board.version: A00
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvr1.9.4:bd04/23/2018:svnDellInc.:pnXPS159560:pvr:rvnDellInc.:rn0JHP5H:rvrA00:cvnDellInc.:ct10:cvr:
dmi.product.family: XPS
dmi.product.name: XPS 15 9560
dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.
---
ProblemType: Bug
ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
Architecture: amd64
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC0: gdm 938 F.... pulseaudio
                      tom 1383 F.... pulseaudio
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
InstallationDate: Installed on 2018-04-26 (103 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64 (20180228)
MachineType: Dell Inc. XPS 15 9560
Package: linux (not installed)
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=xterm-256color
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-30-generic root=UUID=9ccc05c8-ea98-4229-a4d3-6d3a292df6df ro quiet splash acpi_rev_override=5 nouveau.modeset=0 enable_psr=1 disable_power_well=0 pci=noaer pcie_aspm=force nmi_watchdog=0 nouveau.runpm=0 vt.handoff=1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.15.0-30.32-generic 4.15.18
PulseList:
 Error: command ['pacmd', 'list'] failed with exit code 1: Home directory not accessible: Permission denied
 No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
RelatedPackageVersions:
 linux-restricted-modules-4.15.0-30-generic N/A
 linux-backports-modules-4.15.0-30-generic N/A
 linux-firmware 1.173.1
Tags: bionic
Uname: Linux 4.15.0-30-generic x86_64
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
UserGroups:

_MarkForUpload: True
dmi.bios.date: 04/23/2018
dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.bios.version: 1.9.4
dmi.board.name: 0JHP5H
dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.board.version: A00
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvr1.9.4:bd04/23/2018:svnDellInc.:pnXPS159560:pvr:rvnDellInc.:rn0JHP5H:rvrA00:cvnDellInc.:ct10:cvr:
dmi.product.family: XPS
dmi.product.name: XPS 15 9560
dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.

tom (tombuntus) on 2018-08-03
description: updated
Khurshid Alam (khurshid-alam) wrote :

Most likely kernel/firmware issue. Fixed in 4.13.4-1. May be it's back with newest kernel. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=230365

Changed in unity-control-center (Ubuntu):
status: New → Invalid
tom (tombuntus) wrote :

How would that make it invalid?

If it's back with newest kernel, then it's still valid. If it's "most likely a kernel/firmware issue", it's still valid. Neither of the things you said make the bug invalid, so it's confusing.

I'm using 4.15.0-29-generic.

Changed in unity-control-center (Ubuntu):
status: Invalid → New
Khurshid Alam (khurshid-alam) wrote :

It's invalid against unity-control-center. It is a valid bug for kernel.

Changed in unity-control-center (Ubuntu):
status: New → Invalid

This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem. While running an Ubuntu kernel (not a mainline or third-party kernel) please enter the following command in a terminal window:

apport-collect 1785319

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the Ubuntu Kernel Team.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
Download full text (4.2 KiB)

ok, please change that. I made an askubuntu about how to file a bug with no
clear package. I dont think I elected ubuntu control center. maybe a
default or another person did.

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018, 07:21 Khurshid Alam <email address hidden>
wrote:

> It's invalid against unity-control-center. It is a valid bug for kernel.
>
> ** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
> ** Changed in: unity-control-center (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Invalid
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1785319
>
> Title:
> All kinds of problems on wake from lid close 18.04
>
> Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
> New
> Status in unity-control-center package in Ubuntu:
> Invalid
>
> Bug description:
> This seems to be multiple packages, Ubuntu 18.04 itself (because 17.10
> and all previous versions worked fine), and firmware.
>
> When wake from lid close, GUI freezes up and un-freezes every few
> seconds.
>
> Wifi won't even scan for networks, much less join one.
>
> Probably more things are wrong, but that's what's visible to me.
>
> Here's dmesg recent errors:
>
> [43548.249307] ath10k_warn: 129 callbacks suppressed
> [43548.249309] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32
> at 0x0003a028: -110
> [43548.285609] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32
> at 0x0003a028: -110
> [43548.316369] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32
> at 0x0003a028: -110
> [43548.347057] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32
> at 0x0003a028: -110
> [43548.382893] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32
> at 0x0003a028: -110
> [43548.419305] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32
> at 0x0003a028: -110
> [43548.455788] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32
> at 0x0003a028: -110
> [43548.492277] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32
> at 0x0003a028: -110
> [43548.523109] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32
> at 0x0003a028: -110
> [43548.553793] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to wake target for read32
> at 0x0003a028: -110
> [43551.161054] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to read device register,
> device is gone
> [43551.270391] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: firmware crashed! (guid
> c2f1d8ad-ba2b-4c87-a0e1-9dff072ac468)
> [43551.270394] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: qca6174 hw3.2 target 0x05030000
> chip_id 0x00340aff sub 1a56:1535
> [43551.270396] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: kconfig debug 0 debugfs 1
> tracing 1 dfs 0 testmode 0
> [43551.270803] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: firmware ver
> WLAN.RM.4.4.1-00079-QCARMSWPZ-1 api 6 features wowlan,ignore-otp crc32
> fd869beb
> [43551.271233] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: board_file api 2 bmi_id N/A
> crc32 20d869c3
> [43551.271235] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: htt-ver 3.47 wmi-op 4 htt-op 3
> cal otp max-sta 32 raw 0 hwcrypto 1
> [43551.271242] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to read firmware dump
> area: -28
> [43551.271243] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: Copy Engine register dump:
> [43551.417001] ath10k_pci...

Read more...

tom (tombuntus) wrote : AlsaInfo.txt

apport information

tags: added: apport-collected bionic
description: updated
tom (tombuntus) wrote : CRDA.txt

apport information

apport information

tom (tombuntus) wrote : IwConfig.txt

apport information

tom (tombuntus) wrote : Lspci.txt

apport information

tom (tombuntus) wrote : Lsusb.txt

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

tom (tombuntus) wrote : RfKill.txt

apport information

tom (tombuntus) wrote : UdevDb.txt

apport information

apport information

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
tom (tombuntus) wrote : AlsaInfo.txt

apport information

no longer affects: unity-control-center (Ubuntu)
description: updated
tom (tombuntus) wrote : CRDA.txt

apport information

apport information

tom (tombuntus) wrote : IwConfig.txt

apport information

tom (tombuntus) wrote : Lspci.txt

apport information

tom (tombuntus) wrote : Lsusb.txt

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

tom (tombuntus) wrote : RfKill.txt

apport information

tom (tombuntus) wrote : UdevDb.txt

apport information

apport information

Tom, in order to allow additional upstream mainline kernel developers to examine the issue, at your earliest convenience, could you please test the latest mainline kernel? Please keep in mind the following:
1) The one to test is in a folder at the very top of the page (not the daily folder).
2) The release names are irrelevant.
3) The folder time stamps aren't indicative of when the kernel actually was released upstream.
4) Install instructions are available at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds .

If testing on your main install would be inconvenient, one may:
1) Install Ubuntu to a different partition and then test this there.
2) Backup, or clone the primary install.

If the latest kernel did not allow you to test to the issue (ex. you couldn't boot into the OS) please make a comment in your report about this, and continue to test the next most recent kernel version until you can test to the issue. Once you've tested the mainline kernel, please comment on which kernel version specifically you tested. If this issue is not reproducible in the mainline kernel, please add the following tags by clicking on the yellow circle with a black pencil icon, next to the word Tags, located at the bottom of the Bug Description:
kernel-fixed-upstream
kernel-fixed-upstream-X.Y-rcZ

Where X, and Y are the first two numbers of the kernel version, and Z is the release candidate number if it exists.

If the issue is reproducible with the mainline kernel, please add the following tags:
kernel-bug-exists-upstream
kernel-bug-exists-upstream-X.Y-rcZ

Please note, an error to install the kernel does not fit the criteria of kernel-bug-exists-upstream.

Also, you don't need to apport-collect further unless specifically requested to do so.

In addition, to keep this issue relevant to upstream, please continue to test the latest mainline kernel as it becomes available.

Lastly, it is most helpful that after testing of the latest mainline kernel is complete, you mark this report Status Confirmed.

Thank you for your help.

tags: added: bios-outdated-1.10.1 regression-release
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
tags: added: nondefault-kernel-parameters
tom (tombuntus) wrote :

I can't replicate it since the report. I have no idea why, maybe the Ubuntu releases patched it. I haven't changed anything that should have fixed this, to my knowledge, but it just woke up again with wifi OK.

tom, this report is being closed due to your last comment https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1785319/comments/34 regarding this is no longer reproducible. For future reference you can manage the status of your own bugs by clicking on the current status in the yellow line and then choosing a new status in the revealed drop down box. You can learn more about bug statuses at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status. Thank you again for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. Please submit any future bugs you may find.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
importance: Low → Undecided
status: Incomplete → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers