Comment 71 for bug 1520343

Gary (archvilen) wrote :

OK -- I have no clue what my issue could be and am starting to get a bit frustrated with this WiFi chip because it seems like there's nothing I can do about it. I'm using the Ath10k QCA6174 chipset on a Acer Aspire V Nitro laptop. Every other device I have connects at a much faster rate to my Asus AC66U WiFi router, but for the life of me I cannot get my laptop to connect to it at a rate over 1Mb/s, according to iwconfig and the nm-applet tool.

I also cannot connect to the 5gz band on the router either, while all my other devices have no issues. When I got the laptop I was able to connect to either 2.4 or 5.0 bands in Win10, but since I've installed Ubuntu it's been hopeless and I've tried just about every solution out there. Granted, when I first got the laptop getting this chip to connect to anything WiFi was pretty much a lost cause, and I know that the driver for it has come a long way, but there are still several issues with it that's really degrading the potential of the hardware.

Even on the 2.4ghz band, the only one I'm able to connect to I'm having severe degradation of service and it sometimes won't even connect to the access point and crashes nm-applet. Can someone please explain why it is that it's showing only a 1Mb/s bit rate and why I'm unable to connect to the 5ghz band on the router?

$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

enp8s0 no wireless extensions.

wlp7s0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"dd-wrt"
          Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: E0:3F:49:9E:EF:72
          Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on
          Link Quality=67/70 Signal level=-43 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:42 Missed beacon:0

Here is dmesg when I'm attempting to connect to the 5ghz band:

[ 763.756142] cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
[ 763.756145] cfg80211: DFS Master region: unset
[ 763.756147] cfg80211: (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp), (dfs_cac_time)
[ 763.756150] cfg80211: (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[ 763.756152] cfg80211: (2457000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[ 763.756154] cfg80211: (2474000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[ 763.756156] cfg80211: (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 80000 KHz, 160000 KHz AUTO), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[ 763.756159] cfg80211: (5250000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 80000 KHz, 160000 KHz AUTO), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (0 s)
[ 763.756161] cfg80211: (5490000 KHz - 5730000 KHz @ 160000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (0 s)
[ 763.756163] cfg80211: (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[ 763.756165] cfg80211: (57240000 KHz - 63720000 KHz @ 2160000 KHz), (N/A, 0 mBm), (N/A)
[ 789.188940] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlp7s0: link is not ready

Pardon spreading my frustration but I really don't like Windows and I really don't want to succumb to using it for this reason, if all else fails I may just try to replace the chip with a different one.