Improper Marathi translation causes preferences dialog to increase out of control

Bug #62486 reported by Onkar Shinde on 2006-09-26
2
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
language-pack-gnome-mr (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Ubuntu Marathi Translators (ubuntu-l10n-mr)

Bug Description

The missing newlines in the options for network speed causes the Preferences dialog to have very large width. This is because all the options are displayed in one line.

This is actually bug for tracking purpose. I myself am the translator for totem for Marathi (locale mr_IN). As far as I remember I had put the newlines in options as well. But looks like there was some problem while including the translations in the lanuage pack.

When I correct the problem in rosetta, I will mark this as in progress. But looks like I will have to wait till next release of language packs for this to acrtually come into effect.

Onkar Shinde (onkarshinde) wrote :

Translation changed in Rosetta. Will have to wait for next language pack upload.

Changed in totem:
assignee: nobody → ubuntu-l10n-mr
status: Unconfirmed → In Progress

Good that you spotted the bug yourself.
This was a translation bug. I checked it in Gnome-CVS and Rosetta interface,
translation of the string did not contain the newline character '\n'. As far
I have checked
in Rosetta it still doesn't contain it. If you have done it, please submit
the changed file
to me asap, else I'll have to do it on my own. This bug should not remain in
Gnome for
long time, since gnome releases are wrapping up.

2006/9/26, Onkar Shinde <email address hidden>:
>
> Translation changed in Rosetta. Will have to wait for next language pack
> upload.
>
> ** Changed in: totem (Ubuntu)
> Status: Unconfirmed => In Progress
>
> --
> Improper Marathi translation causes preferences dialog to increase out of
> control
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/62486
>

Onkar Shinde (onkarshinde) wrote :

@Rahul,

Please tell me.
Do I have to actually add '\n' (without quotes of course) at the end of lines even in translated strings to represent newline? Isn't it sufficient to just press enter key at the end of line?

RahulB (b-rahul-pm) wrote :

Adding '\n' for every newline is essential, just pressing 'enter' wont do. This has happened mostly
because the rossetta changes the display of newline character in msgid to the symbol of enter.
I think this should also be changed, msgid should be display as it is with all the syntactical structures.

Onkar Shinde (onkarshinde) wrote :

This isn't fault of Rosetta. I translated the file using gtranslator which requires me to put \n for ever newline in translated strings.

I observed that strings containing newlines those I translated in Rosetta worked fine.

In Rosetta, it is enough to press enter at the end of file.

Aanandyatri (pmuley) wrote :

Onkar Shinde wrote:
> This isn't fault of Rosetta. I translated the file using gtranslator
> which requires me to put \n for ever newline in translated strings.
>
> I observed that strings containing newlines those I translated in
> Rosetta worked fine.
>
> In Rosetta, it is enough to press enter at the end of file.
>
>
kindly remove me from mailing list

I am new and all of this doesnt make sense to me. Is there some place where
i can find the basics of doing this?

- Mayuresh

On 9/27/06, Aanandyatri <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Onkar Shinde wrote:
> > This isn't fault of Rosetta. I translated the file using gtranslator
> > which requires me to put \n for ever newline in translated strings.
> >
> > I observed that strings containing newlines those I translated in
> > Rosetta worked fine.
> >
> > In Rosetta, it is enough to press enter at the end of file.
> >
> >
> kindly remove me from mailing list
>
> --
> Improper Marathi translation causes preferences dialog to increase out of
> control
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/62486
>

--
My Blogs:
http://mskadu.blogspot.com, http://mytechieself.blogspot.com,
http://digitalcaptures.blogspot.com

RahulB (b-rahul-pm) wrote :

2006/9/27, Mskadu <email address hidden>:
>
> I am new and all of this doesnt make sense to me. Is there some place
> where
> i can find the basics of doing this?

The real basic guidlines for localization using .po files or in other words
using gettext package can be found here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_mono/gettext.html

For translation a more simplified document focusing gnome is here:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/translate-gnome/index.html
There are many online or desktop tools for translations. Best experience
with kbable.

- Mayuresh
>
> On 9/27/06, Aanandyatri <email address hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Onkar Shinde wrote:
> > > This isn't fault of Rosetta. I translated the file using gtranslator
> > > which requires me to put \n for ever newline in translated strings.
> > >
> > > I observed that strings containing newlines those I translated in
> > > Rosetta worked fine.
> > >
> > > In Rosetta, it is enough to press enter at the end of file.
> > >
> > >
> > kindly remove me from mailing list
> >
> > --
> > Improper Marathi translation causes preferences dialog to increase out
> of
> > control
> > https://launchpad.net/bugs/62486
> >
>
>
> --
> My Blogs:
> http://mskadu.blogspot.com, http://mytechieself.blogspot.com,
> http://digitalcaptures.blogspot.com
>
> --
> Improper Marathi translation causes preferences dialog to increase out of
> control
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/62486
>

---
Rahul.

Onkar Shinde (onkarshinde) wrote :

@Aanandyatri

This team (ubuntu-l10n-mr) doesn't have a mailing list yet. That is why every activity on this bug is send to all the team members since the bug is assigned to the team.

Please bare with me until I get the mailing list setup/approved.

Onkar Shinde (onkarshinde) wrote :

Changed in Rosetta and forwarded .po file upstream.

Changed in language-pack-gnome-mr:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Aanandyatri (pmuley) wrote :

Thanx

Onkar Shinde wrote:
> @Aanandyatri
>
> This team (ubuntu-l10n-mr) doesn't have a mailing list yet. That is why
> every activity on this bug is send to all the team members since the bug
> is assigned to the team.
>
> Please bare with me until I get the mailing list setup/approved.
>
>

Hi Mayuresh,

As such, I am also a bit new for this. There are few resources available on the net for translation. I had asked guidance on MarathiOpenSource but no one replied!

The best resource for Linux (esp Gnome) translation is here -> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/translate-gnome/index.html.

Rosetta (https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+lang/mr) is an online app for traslating the PO files, which include language specific text. For desktop, POEdit (http://www.poedit.org/) is available for editing PO files.

Can somebody else in this group put some more light on the activities specific to Marathi trans and what is in the bucket?

~ gaurish

Mskadu <email address hidden> wrote: I am new and all of this doesnt make sense to me. Is there some place where
i can find the basics of doing this?

- Mayuresh

On 9/27/06, Aanandyatri
 wrote:
>
> Onkar Shinde wrote:
> > This isn't fault of Rosetta. I translated the file using gtranslator
> > which requires me to put \n for ever newline in translated strings.
> >
> > I observed that strings containing newlines those I translated in
> > Rosetta worked fine.
> >
> > In Rosetta, it is enough to press enter at the end of file.
> >
> >
> kindly remove me from mailing list
>
> --
> Improper Marathi translation causes preferences dialog to increase out of
> control
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/62486
>

--
My Blogs:
http://mskadu.blogspot.com, http://mytechieself.blogspot.com,
http://digitalcaptures.blogspot.com

--
Improper Marathi translation causes preferences dialog to increase out of control
https://launchpad.net/bugs/62486

~ Gaurish

---------------------------------
 Find out what India is talking about on - Yahoo! Answers India
 Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger Version 8. Get it NOW

Gau,

Well, thats a beginning. I will go through these and get back with any
doubts. Appreciate the response.

- Mayuresh

On 9/29/06, gau <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Mayuresh,
>
> As such, I am also a bit new for this. There are few resources available
> on the net for translation. I had asked guidance on MarathiOpenSource
> but no one replied!
>
> The best resource for Linux (esp Gnome) translation is here ->
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/translate-gnome/index.html.
>
> Rosetta (https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+lang/mr) is an
> online app for traslating the PO files, which include language specific
> text. For desktop, POEdit (http://www.poedit.org/) is available for
> editing PO files.
>
> Can somebody else in this group put some more light on the activities
> specific to Marathi trans and what is in the bucket?
>
> ~ gaurish
>
>
> Mskadu <email address hidden> wrote: I am new and all of this doesnt make
> sense to me. Is there some place where
> i can find the basics of doing this?
>
> - Mayuresh
>
> On 9/27/06, Aanandyatri
> wrote:
> >
> > Onkar Shinde wrote:
> > > This isn't fault of Rosetta. I translated the file using gtranslator
> > > which requires me to put \n for ever newline in translated strings.
> > >
> > > I observed that strings containing newlines those I translated in
> > > Rosetta worked fine.
> > >
> > > In Rosetta, it is enough to press enter at the end of file.
> > >
> > >
> > kindly remove me from mailing list
> >
> > --
> > Improper Marathi translation causes preferences dialog to increase out
> of
> > control
> > https://launchpad.net/bugs/62486
> >
>
>
> --
> My Blogs:
> http://mskadu.blogspot.com, http://mytechieself.blogspot.com,
> http://digitalcaptures.blogspot.com
>
> --
> Improper Marathi translation causes preferences dialog to increase out of
> control
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/62486
>
>
>
> ~ Gaurish
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Find out what India is talking about on - Yahoo! Answers India
> Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger Version 8. Get
> it NOW
>
> --
> Improper Marathi translation causes preferences dialog to increase out of
> control
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/62486
>
> --
> Ubuntu-l10n-mar mailing list
> <email address hidden>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-l10n-mar
>

--
My Blogs:
http://mskadu.blogspot.com, http://mytechieself.blogspot.com,
http://digitalcaptures.blogspot.com

Changed in language-pack-gnome-mr:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers