FFE: Add support to g-p-m for controlling keyboard backlight via upower in natty
Binary package hint: gnome-power-manager
The version of upower (0.9.8) in Natty now has support for controlling keyboard backlights via dbus, and upstream g-p-m git HEAD (soon to be released 3.0 for GNOME 3) just added support for controlling these, however the version of g-p-m shipped in Natty (2.32) does not have any such support.
Keyboard backlight support was previously available via HAL in Hardy but was then removed when the dehalsification started and no such support has been available since, and as such adding support to g-p-m in Natty is (and has been for a while) greatly needed.
I have written a patch against g-p-m 2.32 which provides such support and is similar to the support recently added to g-p-m 3.0.
This patch adds a new GpmBacklightKbd object to g-p-m (which is based on the existing GpmBacklight object which controls the LCD backlight) to control the UPower KbdBacklight DBus interface and the patch provides support for:
* controlling the backlight via the appropriate backlight up / down buttons
* automatically dimming the backlight on idle when the lcd is dimmed
* automatically shutting of the keyboard backlight when the lcd is shut off
* displaying the keyboard brightness level via notify-osd (like we do for lcd backlight level) when changed by the user
I have tested this patch significantly myself over numerous days with no issues. After a quick post on the ubuntuforums (http://
I am requesting a FFE to merge the attached patch into g-p-m in Natty to provide such support.
A build log for g-p-m 2.32 in Natty using the attached patch is available my ppa (http://
- g-p-m should add support for controlling keyboard backlight via upower
+ FFE: Add support to g-p-m for controlling keyboard backlight via upower
|Changed in gnome-power-manager (Ubuntu):|
|status:||Confirmed → Fix Committed|