gnome-power-manager hangs for a while on Dell mini9

Bug #288393 reported by Nick Barcet on 2008-10-23
24
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
gnome-power-manager (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: gnome-power-manager

I've been experiencing repeatedly a temporary hang on gpm. It caracterizes by:
 - info pop up not showing up when hovering over the icon
 - icon not updated when going to or from battery to plugged
 - icon not responsive when clicking on it to access the menu (left or right click)
 - close lid or Fn2 does not kick laptop into sleep
 - closing the session informs that gpm won't quit and offers to force quit it
I do not know how to reproduce it appart from using the laptop normally. It will occur at least every other time I need to use gpm.

While this is happening, stracing gpm show the following continuously:
[pid 5801] read(3, 0x9d3b30c, 4096) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
[pid 5801] nanosleep({0, 5000000}, {1, 4688}) = 0
[pid 5801] select(4, [3], [3], NULL, NULL) = 1 (out [3])
[pid 5801] writev(3, [{"\231\r\7\0<\0\0\0G\0\0\0\23\0\0\0 \0\0\0\1\0\0\0\273\34"..., 28}], 1) = 28
[pid 5801] read(3, 0x9d3b30c, 4096) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
[pid 5801] select(4, [3], [3], NULL, NULL) = 1 (out [3])
[pid 5801] writev(3, [{"+\r\1\0", 4}], 1) = 4
[pid 5801] select(4, [3], [], NULL, NULL) = 1 (in [3])
[pid 5801] read(3, "\1\2#I\0\0\0\0\v\0\340\3\0\0\0\0\4\0\0\0008\231!\n8\231"..., 4096) = 32
[pid 5801] read(3, 0x9d3b30c, 4096) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
[pid 5801] nanosleep({0, 5000000}, {1, 4688}) = 0
[pid 5801] select(4, [3], [3], NULL, NULL) = 1 (out [3])
[pid 5801] writev(3, [{"\231\r\7\0<\0\0\0G\0\0\0\23\0\0\0 \0\0\0\1\0\0\0\272\34"..., 28}], 1) = 28
[pid 5801] read(3, 0x9d3b30c, 4096) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
[pid 5801] select(4, [3], [3], NULL, NULL) = 1 (out [3])
[pid 5801] writev(3, [{"+\r\1\0", 4}], 1) = 4
[pid 5801] select(4, [3], [], NULL, NULL) = 1 (in [3])
[pid 5801] read(3, "\1\2%I\0\0\0\0\v\0\340\3\0\0\0\0\4\0\0\0008\231!\n8\231"..., 4096) = 32
[pid 5801] read(3, 0x9d3b30c, 4096) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
[pid 5801] nanosleep({0, 5000000}, {1, 4688}) = 0
[pid 5801] select(4, [3], [3], NULL, NULL) = 1 (out [3])
[pid 5801] writev(3, [{"\231\r\7\0<\0\0\0G\0\0\0\23\0\0\0 \0\0\0\1\0\0\0\271\34"..., 28}], 1) = 28
[pid 5801] read(3, 0x9d3b30c, 4096) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)

#uname -a
Linux nijamini 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Wed Oct 22 00:29:18 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

# dpkg -l | grep gnome-power-
ii gnome-power-manager 2.24.0-0ubuntu8 frontend for gnome-powermanager

Georg Schmidl (vicox) wrote :

I can confirm this bug.
Happens with Intrepid Ibex on Dell Mini 9.

eventhorizon (eventhorizon42) wrote :

Confirm on Dell Vostro A860

eventhorizon (eventhorizon42) wrote :

Intrepid Ibex; Backports enabled (needed for WLAN)

Jacob Emcken (jacob-emcken) wrote :

Perhaps bug 296451 is a dupe or at least related?

Georg Schmidl (vicox) wrote :

Yes, probably.
Workaround posted by ether1231 in the forums worked for me.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=963832#10

Quoting the workaround for clarity:

Source http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=963832#10
 When I unchecked "Reduce backlight brightness" and "Dim display when
idle" under the battery tab in the Power Management Preferences the
g-p-m does not appear to stop responding anymore.
 You'll need to set the backlight brightness manually by doing it this
way for now, but it should do the trick until a permanent solution is found.

Kevin (kevin-matson) wrote :

Confirmed both the bug and the work around. I usually encountered the gpm bug when shutting down and I would get a program not responding error. After implementing the work around it shuts down normally now. Dell Mini 9, Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex).

eventhorizon (eventhorizon42) wrote :

Confirm the work around.

Georg Schmidl (vicox) wrote :

I'm not sure, but I think the bug has disappeared after I updated the BIOS from version A00 to A03.
I don't want to revert the update just to confirm this, because flashing BIOSes makes me nervous ;)

hackel (hackel) wrote :

I've never experienced anything like this issue on my Dell Mini 9 with BIOS version A01, so there must be some more factors involved here.

Gabor SUVEG (gsuveg) wrote :

"When I unchecked "Reduce backlight brightness" and "Dim display when
idle" under the battery tab in the Power Management Preferences the
g-p-m does not appear to stop responding anymore."

workaround works! On Acer Aspire One 150 (1GiG ram, 160Gig HDD version)

GGx (gillycreamy) wrote :

I'm using an HP Mini and have this bug with all of the symptoms listed in this bug and need to use the mini without power 90% of the time. So I am desperate for a fix for this.

A BIOS fix for a Dell Mini isn't going to help me and when I go into the Power Management Preferences pane, there is no battery tab. In fact, there is no mention whatsoever of anything battery related so I do not have the options for "Reduce backlight brightness" and "Dim display when idle".

Is there another workaround or any possibility of an imminent fix?

Without it, I may be force to.... run windows.... Oh God, I need a shower after just TYPING those words!!

Please help!

Scott Howard (showard314) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. The issue that you reported is one that should be reproducible with the live environment of the Desktop CD of the development release - Karmic Koala. It would help us greatly if you could test with it so we can work on getting it fixed in the next release of Ubuntu. You can find out more about the development release at http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/. Thanks again and we appreciate your help.

Changed in gnome-power-manager (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
Download full text (3.7 KiB)

Hi Scott. I'm away at the moment but will re-install with the new version
as soon as I'm home and let you know how I go.

Many thanks

Gilly

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 4:52 AM, Scott Howard <email address hidden> wrote:

> Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
> Ubuntu better. The issue that you reported is one that should be
> reproducible with the live environment of the Desktop CD of the
> development release - Karmic Koala. It would help us greatly if you
> could test with it so we can work on getting it fixed in the next
> release of Ubuntu. You can find out more about the development release
> at http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/. Thanks again and we appreciate your
> help.
>
> ** Changed in: gnome-power-manager (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> gnome-power-manager hangs for a while on Dell mini9
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/288393
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “gnome-power-manager” package in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: gnome-power-manager
>
> I've been experiencing repeatedly a temporary hang on gpm. It caracterizes
> by:
> - info pop up not showing up when hovering over the icon
> - icon not updated when going to or from battery to plugged
> - icon not responsive when clicking on it to access the menu (left or
> right click)
> - close lid or Fn2 does not kick laptop into sleep
> - closing the session informs that gpm won't quit and offers to force quit
> it
> I do not know how to reproduce it appart from using the laptop normally.
> It will occur at least every other time I need to use gpm.
>
> While this is happening, stracing gpm show the following continuously:
> [pid 5801] read(3, 0x9d3b30c, 4096) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
> unavailable)
> [pid 5801] nanosleep({0, 5000000}, {1, 4688}) = 0
> [pid 5801] select(4, [3], [3], NULL, NULL) = 1 (out [3])
> [pid 5801] writev(3, [{"\231\r\7\0<\0\0\0G\0\0\0\23\0\0\0
> \0\0\0\1\0\0\0\273\34"..., 28}], 1) = 28
> [pid 5801] read(3, 0x9d3b30c, 4096) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
> unavailable)
> [pid 5801] select(4, [3], [3], NULL, NULL) = 1 (out [3])
> [pid 5801] writev(3, [{"+\r\1\0", 4}], 1) = 4
> [pid 5801] select(4, [3], [], NULL, NULL) = 1 (in [3])
> [pid 5801] read(3,
> "\1\2#I\0\0\0\0\v\0\340\3\0\0\0\0\4\0\0\0008\231!\n8\231"..., 4096) = 32
> [pid 5801] read(3, 0x9d3b30c, 4096) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
> unavailable)
> [pid 5801] nanosleep({0, 5000000}, {1, 4688}) = 0
> [pid 5801] select(4, [3], [3], NULL, NULL) = 1 (out [3])
> [pid 5801] writev(3, [{"\231\r\7\0<\0\0\0G\0\0\0\23\0\0\0
> \0\0\0\1\0\0\0\272\34"..., 28}], 1) = 28
> [pid 5801] read(3, 0x9d3b30c, 4096) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
> unavailable)
> [pid 5801] select(4, [3], [3], NULL, NULL) = 1 (out [3])
> [pid 5801] writev(3, [{"+\r\1\0", 4}], 1) = 4
> [pid 5801] select(4, [3], [], NULL, NULL) = 1 (in [3])
> [pid 5801] read(3,
> "\1\2%I\0\0\0\0\v\0\340\3\0\0\0\0\4\0\0\0008\231!\n8\231"..., 4096) = 32
> [pid 5801] read(3, 0x9d3b30c, 4096) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
> unavailable)
> [pid 5801]...

Read more...

GGx (gillycreamy) wrote :
Download full text (4.8 KiB)

Hi Scott,

I installed Karmic Koala and the first issue that has appeared is an
Application problem that appears after every reboot: "Sorry, the program
"usplash" closed unexpectedly", I've subscribed to bug #401432. Is this an
issue that should concern me?

The suspend works better than it did... it is no longer hanging or giving
error messages and the battery will last overnight in suspend now which it
wouldn't do before. However, it is still not working quite as it should.
The main issue is:

With battery settings on "suspend when lid is shut", the system does not
always suspend when the lid is closed. Occasionally (with no particular
pattern) the system will remain running when the lid is shut. If the system
is then still running, when the battery gets critically low, the system is
supposed to suspend - it doesn't suspend. When power returns to the laptop,
it boots as if switched off rather than coming out of hibernate as it
should. The boot hangs on the Ubuntu logo screen and subsequent reboots fail
in the same way. The resolution is to boot in recovery mode, shutdown and
then boot again.

As I say, it's better. But the suspend is still not working properly with my
HP Mini.

If you need anything in the way of messages or need me to test any potential
fixes, let me know. I'm happy to help out.

Gilly Grundy

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Scott Howard <email address hidden> wrote:

> Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
> Ubuntu better. The issue that you reported is one that should be
> reproducible with the live environment of the Desktop CD of the
> development release - Karmic Koala. It would help us greatly if you
> could test with it so we can work on getting it fixed in the next
> release of Ubuntu. You can find out more about the development release
> at http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/. Thanks again and we appreciate your
> help.
>
> ** Changed in: gnome-power-manager (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> gnome-power-manager hangs for a while on Dell mini9
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/288393
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “gnome-power-manager” package in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: gnome-power-manager
>
> I've been experiencing repeatedly a temporary hang on gpm. It caracterizes
> by:
> - info pop up not showing up when hovering over the icon
> - icon not updated when going to or from battery to plugged
> - icon not responsive when clicking on it to access the menu (left or
> right click)
> - close lid or Fn2 does not kick laptop into sleep
> - closing the session informs that gpm won't quit and offers to force quit
> it
> I do not know how to reproduce it appart from using the laptop normally.
> It will occur at least every other time I need to use gpm.
>
> While this is happening, stracing gpm show the following continuously:
> [pid 5801] read(3, 0x9d3b30c, 4096) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
> unavailable)
> [pid 5801] nanosleep({0, 5000000}, {1, 4688}) = 0
> [pid 5801] select(4, [3], [3], NULL, NULL) = 1 (out [3])
> [pid 5801] writev(3, [{"\23...

Read more...

Download full text (7.7 KiB)

Some how we get un-synced from launchpad.

Scott Howard asked if it could be tested with the daily liveCD since
there were commits this week trying to address this issue. Here is the
reporter's response:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gilly Creamy <email address hidden>
Date: Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 3:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Bug 288393] Re: gnome-power-manager hangs for a while on
Dell mini9
To: Scott Howard <email address hidden>

Hey Scott,

Okay, have been testing. With Karmic Koala existing version, hibernate
doesn't work either. Same problem as with suspend: hibernate reboots
instead of coming out of hibernation and then hangs on the Ubuntu
splash screen.  Have to give it the three fingers, boot into recovery
mode and then reboot into full. I think I can replicate this problem
every time.

Installed the latest version you recommended and .... sorry, bad news
.... it doesn't fix the suspend issue. It's really intermittent. I can
close the lid and it will work fine. Open and close again and it won't
work. There really doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. Presumably
users with other hardware are reporting the same problem? It isn't my
HP hardware?

Hibernate on the new version doesn't seem to work either (or maybe it
can't with the Live CD running) in fact, it's slightly worse in that
sometimes it ignores the hibernate request altogether. If it does
hibernate it boots into the Live CD, hangs for ages on the splash
screen and eventually goes in as if a newly booted. Oh dear.

Thanks Scott.  If you need me to test anything else, let me know.

Gilly

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Gilly Creamy <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Hey Scott,
>
> No problem - my pleasure.
>
> I will use the liveCD so I'll do it tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
>
> Gilly
>
>
>
>
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Scott Howard <email address hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for checking! I know we just pushed some changes about an hour
>> ago that will be hitting the archives later today that should address
>> your "suspend when lid is closed" issue. Can you update the package to
>> version 2.27.2+git20090729-0ubuntu2 and test it again? If you use a
>> live cd, you may have to wait until tomorrow's liveCD comes out:
>> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/
>>
>> Thanks for helping, Ubuntu users appreciate it!
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Gilly Creamy<email address hidden> wrote:
>> > Hi Scott,
>> >
>> > I installed Karmic Koala and the first issue that has appeared is an
>> > Application problem that appears after every reboot: "Sorry, the program
>> > "usplash" closed unexpectedly", I've subscribed to bug #401432. Is this an
>> > issue that should concern me?
>> >
>> > The suspend works better than it did... it is no longer hanging or giving
>> > error messages and the battery will last overnight in suspend now which it
>> > wouldn't do before. However, it is still not working quite as it should.
>> > The main issue is:
>> >
>> > With battery settings on "suspend when lid is shut", the system does not
>> > always suspend when the lid is closed. Occasionally (with no particular
>> > pattern) the system will remain running when t...

Read more...

Changed in gnome-power-manager (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers