Locale variants not shown

Bug #685619 reported by AsstZD on 2010-12-05
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
gdm
Unknown
Unknown
gdm (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Bug Description

Binary package hint: gdm

Locale list in GDM of Maverick do not show locale variants. For example for Belarus locale there are 2 entries: "Беларуская (Беларусь)" for be_BY.UTF-8 and same "Беларуская (Беларусь)" for be_BY.UTF-8@latin. It's confusing.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

Thanks for your bug report!

I'm going to check up a couple of things, and get back on the topic. However, since I see that you filed the bug at bugzilla.gnome.org, where the same issue has been discussed, I'd like to comment on that aspect now.

By default, the options in the "Language" selector at GDM's login screen are, as you say, available locales, and the selected locale sets the LANG environment variable for the session. Up to now that has been true for the GDM package in Ubuntu as well.

A few days ago, an Ubuntu specific solution to the issues reported in bug 553162 (and duplicates) was released in Natty. As a part of the solution, we are converting the locale picker to a pure language picker, i.e. the selected option will only set language for translation of menus and messages, while the Ubuntu GUI tool for controlling other locale aspects such as date formats etc. will be the "Language Support" application only. It means that there are also other reasons to reconsider the options in the menu list, and it's not unlikely that the Ubuntu conclusion will diverge from a possible change upstream.

Think it's good to keep this in mind when we discuss this topic.

Changed in gdm (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj)
status: New → Confirmed

El dg 19 de 12 de 2010 a les 06:31 +0000, en/na Gunnar Hjalmarsson va
escriure:
> Thanks for your bug report!
>
> I'm going to check up a couple of things, and get back on the topic.
> However, since I see that you filed the bug at bugzilla.gnome.org, where
> the same issue has been discussed, I'd like to comment on that aspect
> now.
>
> By default, the options in the "Language" selector at GDM's login screen
> are, as you say, available locales, and the selected locale sets the
> LANG environment variable for the session. Up to now that has been true
> for the GDM package in Ubuntu as well.
>
> A few days ago, an Ubuntu specific solution to the issues reported in
> bug 553162 (and duplicates) was released in Natty. As a part of the
> solution, we are converting the locale picker to a pure language picker,
> i.e. the selected option will only set language for translation of menus
> and messages, while the Ubuntu GUI tool for controlling other locale
> aspects such as date formats etc. will be the "Language Support"
> application only. It means that there are also other reasons to
> reconsider the options in the menu list, and it's not unlikely that the
> Ubuntu conclusion will diverge from a possible change upstream.
>

Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for your comment. Just for the record, this is not about new
options in the menu list. It's simply about showing the names of the
language variants (ll@variant) in the gdm language picker.

In the past, they were shown just as any other language in the picker.
However, at some point during gdm development they were removed from
there, leaving language variant users no option to choose their
languages.

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

Hi David!

Yes, I think I understand what it is you are after. I just filed bug 693337, which may explain clearer what I tried to say above.

Also, I took the liberty of adding ubuntu-translations to bug 693337. Assuming that you think the reasoning makes sense, I'm hoping for your participation in the discussion there.

Rgds,
Gunnar

David Planella (dpm) wrote :

El dc 22 de 12 de 2010 a les 11:44 +0000, en/na Gunnar Hjalmarsson va
escriure:
> *** This bug is a duplicate of bug 408474 ***
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/408474
>
> Hi David!
>
> Yes, I think I understand what it is you are after. I just filed bug
> 693337, which may explain clearer what I tried to say above.
>
> Also, I took the liberty of adding ubuntu-translations to bug 693337.
> Assuming that you think the reasoning makes sense, I'm hoping for your
> participation in the discussion there.
>

Sure, thanks Gunnar, I appreciate that :-)

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.