Ubuntu

Comment 8 for bug 228988

I know very little about upstream, but I have the feeling that "Affects
Mozilla Firefox" should be removed from alias Bug #206884 and set in
main Bug #228988. Thanks.

John said :
> If we need more info please feel free to give it to us without the
> threat of "PLEASE READ IT CAREFULLY, it's the last time I write".
I meant "It's the last time I rewrite the full bug description from the
start", of course.
I continue to reply what I didn't write already.
I'm not threatening, I'm helping.
Ubuntu asks users just to report bugs and I analyze them.
I have no personal interest in this, I know how to put the displayed
encoding right, I'm doing this for those who can't, for the sake of Firefox.

I just tried the Googled-based procedure again (removed atilf from
history, restarted Firefox, shown Google search, right-clicked "Open in
tab") and there you have the picture : the new tab shows (page title)
that UTF-8 has been used to decode the page.
A page that "does not specify which encoding to use" should display with
ISO8859-1.
(and make tests only with pages that don't, of course)

Truly, there's something unpredictable in this behaviour of Firefox
regarding encoding.
A more predictable test to make is this :
- display http://atilf.atilf.fr/tlf.htm
- View|Character encoding|Unicode (UTF-8)
- restart Firefox
- type http://atilf.atilf.fr/tlf.htm in the address bar and display again
UTF-8 displayed again, and wrong :
A page that "does not specify which encoding to use" should display with
ISO8859-1.

Now, I must really do something else.