firefox crashes on startup (but apparently layunched properly to enable me to post this)

Bug #1278062 reported by Steven Usdansky on 2014-02-09
166
This bug affects 27 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
firefox (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned
lxsession (Ubuntu)
High
Julien Lavergne

Bug Description

I tried launching from a terminal window after the first crash and got this:

~$ firefox

(process:2974): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
~$

====================
~$ lsb_release -rd
Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
Release: 14.04

~$ apt-cache policy firefox
firefox:
  Installed: 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1
  Candidate: 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1
  Version table:
 *** 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
~$

ProblemType: Crash
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
Package: firefox 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-8.27-generic 3.13.2
Uname: Linux 3.13.0-8-generic x86_64
AddonCompatCheckDisabled: False
ApportVersion: 2.13.2-0ubuntu2
Architecture: amd64
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC0: a 1919 F.... pulseaudio
BuildID: 20131028112446
CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'iw'
Channel: Unavailable
CrashCounter: 1
CurrentDesktop: LXDE
Date: Sun Feb 9 05:43:26 2014
ExecutablePath: /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
ForcedLayersAccel: False
IfupdownConfig:
 # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
 auto lo
 iface lo inet loopback
InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-11-22 (78 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 14.04 "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha amd64 (20131102)
IpRoute:
 default via 192.168.0.1 dev wlan0 proto static
 192.168.0.0/24 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.101 metric 9
MostRecentCrashID: bp-3359569a-fc3a-40e2-978d-e68d72120711
PrefSources:
 prefs.js
 [Profile]/extensions/{3d7eb24f-2740-49df-8937-200b1cc08f8a}/defaults/preferences/flashblock.js
 [Profile]/extensions/{0545b830-f0aa-4d7e-8820-50a4629a56fe}/defaults/preferences/defaults.js
ProcCmdline: /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
Profiles: Profile0 (Default) - LastVersion=25.0/20131028112446
RelatedPackageVersions: gecko-mediaplayer 1.0.8-4ubuntu1
RfKill:
 0: phy0: Wireless LAN
  Soft blocked: no
  Hard blocked: no
RunningIncompatibleAddons: False
SegvAnalysis: Skipped: missing required field "Disassembly"
Signal: 11
SourcePackage: firefox
SubmittedCrashIDs: bp-3359569a-fc3a-40e2-978d-e68d72120711
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
dmi.bios.date: 02/17/2009
dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
dmi.bios.version: 5.12
dmi.board.name: NutMeg
dmi.board.vendor: PEGATRON CORPORATION
dmi.board.version: 1.02
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: Asset-1234567890
dmi.chassis.type: 3
dmi.chassis.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
dmi.chassis.version: Chassis Version
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr5.12:bd02/17/2009:svnHP-Pavilion:pnFQ578AAR-ABAs3707c:pvr:rvnPEGATRONCORPORATION:rnNutMeg:rvr1.02:cvnHewlett-Packard:ct3:cvrChassisVersion:
dmi.product.name: FQ578AAR-ABA s3707c
dmi.sys.vendor: HP-Pavilion

Steven Usdansky (usdanskys) wrote :

StacktraceTop:
 add_to_rc_file_list (rc_file_list=0x7f089a516228, filename=0x500000090 <Address 0x500000090 out of bounds>, reload=0) at /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.22/gtk/gtkrc.c:960
 gtk_rc_context_parse_one_file (context=context@entry=0x7f089a516200, filename=filename@entry=0x500000090 <Address 0x500000090 out of bounds>, priority=priority@entry=12, reload=reload@entry=0) at /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.22/gtk/gtkrc.c:994
 gtk_rc_context_parse_file (context=context@entry=0x7f089a516200, filename=0x500000090 <Address 0x500000090 out of bounds>, priority=priority@entry=12, reload=reload@entry=0) at /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.22/gtk/gtkrc.c:1099
 gtk_rc_parse_default_files (context=0x7f089a516200) at /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.22/gtk/gtkrc.c:862
 IA__gtk_rc_reparse_all_for_settings (settings=settings@entry=0x7f088bfdf4c0, force_load=force_load@entry=1) at /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.22/gtk/gtkrc.c:1809

Changed in firefox (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
tags: removed: need-amd64-retrace
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in firefox (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Jackson Doak (noskcaj) on 2014-02-21
information type: Private → Public
Chris Coulson (chrisccoulson) wrote :

What GTK theme are you using?

Phill Whiteside (phillw) wrote :

phillw is using lubuntu 14.04. My crash seemed to refer to a language pack mis-match of some type or other, but has been marked as a dupe by some one :)

Phill Whiteside (phillw) wrote :

@Chris Coulson. Just had a look into /var/log... it seems there is a failure earlier, and not just for firefox.

gnomeplayer reported a crash...
ERROR: apport (pid 16477) Mon Feb 24 10:08:16 2014: called for pid 16447, signal 5, core limit 0
ERROR: apport (pid 16477) Mon Feb 24 10:08:16 2014: executable: /usr/bin/gnome-mplayer (command line "/usr/bin/gnome-mplayer --window=54102218 --controlid=25263 --width=1600 --height=674 --autostart=1 --showcontrols=1")
ERROR: apport (pid 16477) Mon Feb 24 10:08:16 2014: gdbus call error: Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

ERROR: apport (pid 16477) Mon Feb 24 10:08:16 2014: debug: session gdbus call:
ERROR: apport (pid 16477) Mon Feb 24 10:08:22 2014: wrote report /var/crash/_usr_bin_gnome-mplayer.1000.crash
ERROR: apport (pid 17555) Mon Feb 24 11:18:04 2014: called for pid 4535, signal 11, core limit 0

Now when firefox then crashed out.....

ERROR: apport (pid 17555) Mon Feb 24 11:18:04 2014: executable: /usr/lib/firefox/firefox (command line "/usr/lib/firefox/firefox")
ERROR: apport (pid 17555) Mon Feb 24 11:18:04 2014: gdbus call error: Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

ERROR: apport (pid 17555) Mon Feb 24 11:18:04 2014: debug: session gdbus call:
ERROR: apport (pid 17555) Mon Feb 24 11:19:18 2014: wrote report /var/crash/_usr_lib_firefox_firefox.1000.crash

Hope this is of help... I've taken a backup of /var/log in case you need it in its entireity (I did some re-boots, tried re-installing etc).

Chris Coulson (chrisccoulson) wrote :

Thanks, but that doesn't help. The issue is almost certainly because of a recent theme change. I just need the answer to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1278062/comments/7

Phill Whiteside (phillw) wrote :

Hi, whichever GTK theme lubuntu 14.04 uses as default is that answer. http://lubuntublog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/theme-convergence.html should have the answer, if not then feel free to ask Rafael (head of our artwork team for lubuntu).

Julien Lavergne (gilir) wrote :

Confirmed a crash on first start on fresh Lubuntu install (daily 20140225). Not sure it's the same, as Firefox work when I try a second launch.
The GTK theme is the one in lubuntu-artwork package (Lubuntu-default)

Ubuntu QA Website (ubuntuqa) wrote :

This bug has been reported on the Ubuntu ISO testing tracker.

A list of all reports related to this bug can be found here:
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/reports/bugs/1278062

tags: added: iso-testing
Steven Usdansky (usdanskys) wrote :

Using Mist widget theme; GNOME icon theme. Same problem with Lubuntu-default/Lubuntu

Erick Brunzell (lbsolost) wrote :

Works OK with the default theme in the proposed Beta 1 candidate.

Steven Usdansky (usdanskys) wrote :

Does not work with Lubuntu daily trusty-desktop-amd64.iso of 25 Feb.

ajgreeny (ajg-charlbury) wrote :

Same problem here with Lubuntu 14.04 64bit both as a live USB system on "real" hardware or in Virtualbox, and also as a full install in Virtualbox.

Erick Brunzell (lbsolost) wrote :

Yes, it seems to effect only amd64, and I'd only tested i386 until now.

Download full text (3.9 KiB)

I upgraded my old pentium 4 desktop and it seems to be working on trusty
with firefox and in a virtual machine.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Erick Brunzell <email address hidden> wrote:

> Yes, it seems to effect only amd64, and I'd only tested i386 until now.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1285471).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1278062
>
> Title:
> firefox crashes on startup (but apparently layunched properly to
> enable me to post this)
>
> Status in "firefox" package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> I tried launching from a terminal window after the first crash and got
> this:
>
> ~$ firefox
>
> (process:2974): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion
> 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> ~$
>
>
> ====================
> ~$ lsb_release -rd
> Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
> Release: 14.04
>
> ~$ apt-cache policy firefox
> firefox:
> Installed: 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1
> Candidate: 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1
> Version table:
> *** 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1 0
> 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64
> Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> ~$
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: firefox 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-8.27-generic 3.13.2
> Uname: Linux 3.13.0-8-generic x86_64
> AddonCompatCheckDisabled: False
> ApportVersion: 2.13.2-0ubuntu2
> Architecture: amd64
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0: a 1919 F.... pulseaudio
> BuildID: 20131028112446
> CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'iw'
> Channel: Unavailable
> CrashCounter: 1
> CurrentDesktop: LXDE
> Date: Sun Feb 9 05:43:26 2014
> ExecutablePath: /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
> ForcedLayersAccel: False
> IfupdownConfig:
> # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-11-22 (78 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 14.04 "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha amd64 (20131102)
> IpRoute:
> default via 192.168.0.1 dev wlan0 proto static
> 192.168.0.0/24 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.101
> metric 9
> MostRecentCrashID: bp-3359569a-fc3a-40e2-978d-e68d72120711
> PrefSources:
> prefs.js
>
> [Profile]/extensions/{3d7eb24f-2740-49df-8937-200b1cc08f8a}/defaults/preferences/flashblock.js
>
> [Profile]/extensions/{0545b830-f0aa-4d7e-8820-50a4629a56fe}/defaults/preferences/defaults.js
> ProcCmdline: /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
> Profiles: Profile0 (Default) - LastVersion=25.0/20131028112446
> RelatedPackageVersions: gecko-mediaplayer 1.0.8-4ubuntu1
> RfKill:
> 0: phy0: Wireless LAN
> Soft blocked: no
> Hard blocked: no
> RunningIncompatibleAddons: False
> SegvAnalysis: Skipped: missing required field "Disassembly"
> Signal: 11
> SourcePackage: firefox
> SubmittedCrashIDs: bp-3359569a-fc3a-40e2-978d-e68d72120711
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log pr...

Read more...

sgon00 (sgon00) wrote :

same problem here. Latest lubuntu amd64.
This problem not only happens in firefox. Many apps have the same problem. For example, google-chrome will give segmentation fault. In lubuntu, right click desktop pager and then left click "Desktop Pager" Settings will give the same segmentation fault.
Workaround: everything works with 'sudo'. For example: 'sudo firefox' works. 'sudo google-chrome' works.

Steven Usdansky (usdanskys) wrote :

Everything checked on my older Lubuntu amd64 installation updated 10 minutes ago:
1. sudo firefox works
2. chromium-browser (as opposed to google-chrome) works properly without sudo
3. "Desktop Pager" settings is grayed-out for me.

Brendan Perrine (walterorlin) wrote :

I am not sure running sudo firefox is the best idea from a security standpoint.

Also I am not sure this is theme issue as when changing the gtk widget in lxapperance I can get the segmentation fault wihtout the output about themes.

Phill Whiteside (phillw) wrote :
Download full text (4.2 KiB)

you should never run a GUI application with sudo. you will break many
things.....

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

Regards,

Phill.
P.S. this is NOT what the bug is about, please keep it on topic

On 28 February 2014 23:36, ianorlin <email address hidden> wrote:

> I am not sure running sudo firefox is the best idea from a security
> standpoint.
>
> Also I am not sure this is theme issue as when changing the gtk widget
> in lxapperance I can get the segmentation fault wihtout the output about
> themes.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1278062
>
> Title:
> firefox crashes on startup (but apparently layunched properly to
> enable me to post this)
>
> Status in "firefox" package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> I tried launching from a terminal window after the first crash and got
> this:
>
> ~$ firefox
>
> (process:2974): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion
> 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> ~$
>
>
> ====================
> ~$ lsb_release -rd
> Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
> Release: 14.04
>
> ~$ apt-cache policy firefox
> firefox:
> Installed: 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1
> Candidate: 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1
> Version table:
> *** 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1 0
> 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64
> Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> ~$
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: firefox 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-8.27-generic 3.13.2
> Uname: Linux 3.13.0-8-generic x86_64
> AddonCompatCheckDisabled: False
> ApportVersion: 2.13.2-0ubuntu2
> Architecture: amd64
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0: a 1919 F.... pulseaudio
> BuildID: 20131028112446
> CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'iw'
> Channel: Unavailable
> CrashCounter: 1
> CurrentDesktop: LXDE
> Date: Sun Feb 9 05:43:26 2014
> ExecutablePath: /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
> ForcedLayersAccel: False
> IfupdownConfig:
> # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-11-22 (78 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 14.04 "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha amd64 (20131102)
> IpRoute:
> default via 192.168.0.1 dev wlan0 proto static
> 192.168.0.0/24 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.101
> metric 9
> MostRecentCrashID: bp-3359569a-fc3a-40e2-978d-e68d72120711
> PrefSources:
> prefs.js
>
> [Profile]/extensions/{3d7eb24f-2740-49df-8937-200b1cc08f8a}/defaults/preferences/flashblock.js
>
> [Profile]/extensions/{0545b830-f0aa-4d7e-8820-50a4629a56fe}/defaults/preferences/defaults.js
> ProcCmdline: /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
> Profiles: Profile0 (Default) - LastVersion=25.0/20131028112446
> RelatedPackageVersions: gecko-mediaplayer 1.0.8-4ubuntu1
> RfKill:
> 0: phy0: Wireless LAN
> Soft blocked: no
> Hard blocked: no
> ...

Read more...

sgon00 (sgon00) wrote :

1, chromium-browser is different from google-chrome. In my environment, google-chrome gets the same segmentation fault. chromium-browser works.

2, this is not about themes. I tried different themes. Programs always segfault. Those theme warning messages are harmless.

3, Running GUI apps with sudo is bad. BUT this just gives some peope and devs some ideas. I think this may help devs to fix the bug. Because sudo GUI apps will always work without segmentation fault. This is weird. Do anyone know why this happens ? Are any developers aware of this critical problem?

Trusty 14.04 will be released within 2 months. And now, even built-in firefox and google-chrome can not be run. This is amazing.

Brendan Perrine (walterorlin) wrote :

For those running lubuntu does firefox work in lubuntu netbook for you as well that could be another workaround.

I can confirm this bug. Also on lubuntu on 14.04 64bit, with all latest updates.

- google-chrome and google-chrome-beta crash
- thunderbird crashes
- firefox crashes
- other programs do crash

Weird thing is, that if I create a new account, and do not login by graphical interface, but just su - {user} and run the programs, it works. If I login to the graphical interface with this user, it has the same behavior as my regular account.

So:
open terminal
sudo adduser test
sudo passwd test
su - test

all programs work.

When the graphical environment is run for user test by login in, and the directories and files are created, things blow up....

Steven Usdansky (usdanskys) wrote :

Updated today (3-Mar) to firefox-28.0-b2+build1-0ubuntu2 (also installed all additional updates). Also installled lxde-common. Selected LXDE session from the lightdm screen. Firefox appears to be working properly in the LXDE session launched from lightdm, but crashes in the Lubuntu session launched from lightdm unless run as root.

Guillermo Lo Coco (glococo) wrote :

Same to me, Lubuntu 14.04, updated to 3-mar, AMD64, 4GBRAM, "Segmentation fault" on:

Firefox 28
Google Chrome 34.0.1847

With "sudo" launch (with some extrange messages)

Julien Lavergne (gilir) wrote :
Download full text (17.3 KiB)

Using Lubuntu session on amd64, confirmed crash even when switching themes. Bt :

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
__strcmp_ssse3 () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/../strcmp.S:210
210 ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/../strcmp.S: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type.
(gdb) bt full
#0 __strcmp_ssse3 () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/../strcmp.S:210
No locals.
#1 0x00007ffff0fcc188 in add_to_rc_file_list (rc_file_list=0x7fffe765f928, filename=0x500000090 <error: Cannot access memory at address 0x500000090>,
    reload=0) at /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.22/gtk/gtkrc.c:960
        tmp_list = 0x7ffff6c80f30
        rc_file = 0x7fffe6cdfee0
#2 0x00007ffff0fd0e3c in gtk_rc_context_parse_one_file (context=context@entry=0x7fffe765f900,
    filename=filename@entry=0x500000090 <error: Cannot access memory at address 0x500000090>, priority=priority@entry=12, reload=reload@entry=0)
    at /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.22/gtk/gtkrc.c:994
        rc_file = <optimized out>
        statbuf = {st_dev = 12, st_ino = 140737241730391, st_nlink = 0, st_mode = 1431724632, st_uid = 21845, st_gid = 4, __pad0 = 0,
          st_rdev = 93824992304231, st_size = 4, st_blksize = 3, st_blocks = 2, st_atim = {tv_sec = 140737035542656, tv_nsec = 12}, st_mtim = {tv_sec = 2,
            tv_nsec = 140737035542656}, st_ctim = {tv_sec = 93824992300561, tv_nsec = 335736625}, __unused = {140737352896584, 140737075607808, 0}}
        saved_priority = 12
        __FUNCTION__ = "gtk_rc_context_parse_one_file"
#3 0x00007ffff0fd10cf in gtk_rc_context_parse_file (context=context@entry=0x7fffe765f900,
    filename=0x500000090 <error: Cannot access memory at address 0x500000090>, priority=priority@entry=12, reload=reload@entry=0)
    at /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.22/gtk/gtkrc.c:1099
        locale_suffixes = {0x7fffe94fe6b0 "fr_FR", 0x7fffe94fe6c0 "fr"}
        n_locale_suffixes = 2
        p = <optimized out>
        locale = <optimized out>
        length = <optimized out>
        j = <optimized out>
        found = 0
#4 0x00007ffff0fd193f in gtk_rc_parse_default_files (context=0x7fffe765f900) at /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.22/gtk/gtkrc.c:862
        i = <optimized out>
#5 IA__gtk_rc_reparse_all_for_settings (settings=settings@entry=0x7ffff6ceab40, force_load=force_load@entry=1)
    at /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.22/gtk/gtkrc.c:1809
        mtime_modified = <optimized out>
        rc_file = <optimized out>
        tmp_list = <optimized out>
        context = 0x7fffe765f900
        statbuf = {st_dev = 0, st_ino = 140737241743257, st_nlink = 140737244752912, st_mode = 1431723111, st_uid = 21845, st_gid = 4051364880,
          __pad0 = 32767, st_rdev = 32, st_size = 0, st_blksize = 140737333981200, st_blocks = 140737107142832, st_atim = {tv_sec = 0,
            tv_nsec = 140737107142832}, st_mtim = {tv_sec = 93824992305752, tv_nsec = 140737107142832}, st_ctim = {tv_sec = 32, tv_nsec = 140737334127424},
          __unused = {140737241830961, 621, 140737241698303}}
        __FUNCTION__ = "IA__gtk_rc_reparse_all_for_settings"
#6 0x00007ffff0fed842 in IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen (screen=0x7ffff6cc7000) at /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.22/gtk/gtksettings.c:1265
        se...

Julien Lavergne (gilir) wrote :

Also confirmed also that it's working on an Openbox session, and crashing on a Lubuntu session. I included a strace when it crashed, it seems it does weird stuff with gtkrc file just before crashing.

Rafael Laguna (rafaellaguna) wrote :

Tested XFCE. Everything works fine. Using Box for GTK and icons (AMD64).

sgon00 (sgon00) wrote :

I have switched from Lubuntu 14.04 to ubuntu-gnome 14.04. Firefox and google-chrome work fine in ubuntu-gnome 14.04. I am happy with that.

Problem is alive ,on Lubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr) Daily Build
 trusty-desktop-amd64.iso 06-Mar-2014 17:46 695M Desktop image for 64-bit PC (AMD64) computers (standard download)

Julien Lavergne (gilir) wrote :

More investigations, and it seems that it's the interaction between upstart session and lxsession.
For the short term, the work around is to :
- sudo cp /usr/share/xsession/Lubuntu.desktop /usr/share/xsession/test.desktop
- Open /usr/share/xsession/test.desktop and change Name=Lubuntu by Name=test
- Log out and log in with test session name

Norbert (asterix52) wrote :

The work around works for me (Firefox and Chrome).

You forgot a "s" at xsession (xsessions).

gmoore777 (guy-moore) wrote :

Maybe you are hitting the same problem as me:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=981066
which is related to the environment variable XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

Using the export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=:; works for me.... But it isn't fun....

Julien Lavergne (gilir) wrote :

Hum, actually running under an upstart session add one more value to XDG_CONFIG_DIRS, that's maybe why we saw it on a standard Lubuntu session (which use upstart session) and not on the others. But I'm surprised Xubuntu doesn't have the same problem, since they should have merely the same numbers of directory in XDG_CONFIG_DIRS.

Julien Lavergne (gilir) wrote :

lxsession is also exporting the wrong values on XDG_CONFIG_DIRS (duplicate items), that probably why we are the only ones to suffer this bug. I can probably fix this. However, firefox still have a bug regarding this environment value.

Changed in lxsession (Ubuntu):
status: New → In Progress
importance: Undecided → High
assignee: nobody → Julien Lavergne (gilir)
Kristian Kißling (kkissling) wrote :

Using
export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=:;
works here to. On Lubuntu 14.04, 64 Bit /w latest updates.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package lxsession - 0.4.9.2+git20140317-0ubuntu1

---------------
lxsession (0.4.9.2+git20140317-0ubuntu1) trusty; urgency=medium

  * New upstream snapshot, only bug fixes:
   - Fix some help texts.
   - Re-enable buildin support for polkit (LP: #1292868)
   - Fix exporting environment variables twice (LP: #1278062)
  * debian/patches/100_disable_Werror.patch:
   - Refresh.
 -- Julien Lavergne <email address hidden> Mon, 17 Mar 2014 22:01:25 +0100

Changed in lxsession (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
Adam Smith (adamsmith) wrote :

Not entirely sure this is fixed in Lubuntu. Using yesterdays Trusty ISO I'm getting a lot of crashes with Firefox. This is straight out after install.

sriraj (srirajpaul) wrote :

I am hitting the same problem with Lubuntu 14.04 installed in virtual box. I am using the released.

Jules (bitvast) wrote :

I'm getting the same error with the final release of Lubuntu Trusty, using the 386 version. I have to do a hard reboot. :-(

Stego (stegomon) wrote :

On Ubuntu trusty with Unity i notice that nearly every time i start firefox, it crashes. when i submit the crash report and restart it, it works again. what can we do to simplify the bugfixing process?

Phill Whiteside (phillw) wrote :
Download full text (4.1 KiB)

Please read back and install the newer lxsession :)

Regards,

Phill.

On 25 April 2014 07:39, Stego <email address hidden> wrote:

> On Ubuntu trusty with Unity i notice that nearly every time i start
> firefox, it crashes. when i submit the crash report and restart it, it
> works again. what can we do to simplify the bugfixing process?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1278062
>
> Title:
> firefox crashes on startup (but apparently layunched properly to
> enable me to post this)
>
> Status in "firefox" package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in "lxsession" package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> I tried launching from a terminal window after the first crash and got
> this:
>
> ~$ firefox
>
> (process:2974): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion
> 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> ~$
>
>
> ====================
> ~$ lsb_release -rd
> Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
> Release: 14.04
>
> ~$ apt-cache policy firefox
> firefox:
> Installed: 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1
> Candidate: 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1
> Version table:
> *** 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1 0
> 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64
> Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> ~$
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: firefox 25.0+build3-0ubuntu0.13.10.1
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-8.27-generic 3.13.2
> Uname: Linux 3.13.0-8-generic x86_64
> AddonCompatCheckDisabled: False
> ApportVersion: 2.13.2-0ubuntu2
> Architecture: amd64
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0: a 1919 F.... pulseaudio
> BuildID: 20131028112446
> CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'iw'
> Channel: Unavailable
> CrashCounter: 1
> CurrentDesktop: LXDE
> Date: Sun Feb 9 05:43:26 2014
> ExecutablePath: /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
> ForcedLayersAccel: False
> IfupdownConfig:
> # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-11-22 (78 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 14.04 "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha amd64 (20131102)
> IpRoute:
> default via 192.168.0.1 dev wlan0 proto static
> 192.168.0.0/24 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.101
> metric 9
> MostRecentCrashID: bp-3359569a-fc3a-40e2-978d-e68d72120711
> PrefSources:
> prefs.js
>
> [Profile]/extensions/{3d7eb24f-2740-49df-8937-200b1cc08f8a}/defaults/preferences/flashblock.js
>
> [Profile]/extensions/{0545b830-f0aa-4d7e-8820-50a4629a56fe}/defaults/preferences/defaults.js
> ProcCmdline: /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
> Profiles: Profile0 (Default) - LastVersion=25.0/20131028112446
> RelatedPackageVersions: gecko-mediaplayer 1.0.8-4ubuntu1
> RfKill:
> 0: phy0: Wireless LAN
> Soft blocked: no
> Hard blocked: no
> RunningIncompatibleAddons: False
> SegvAnalysis: Skipped: missing required field "Disassembly"
> Signal: 11
> SourcePack...

Read more...

Jules (bitvast) wrote :

Hi Phil,

I already have the newest version of lxsession according to apt-get, but I'm still getting the crashes. Furthermore, it's still happening although I am now using Chromium and not Firefox.

sriraj (srirajpaul) wrote :

Hi, I was getting a similar error in VirtualBox. It was crashing Virtualbox itself.
But disabling 3D acceleration in Virtualbox settings solved the problem for me.
Indeed enabling 3D acceleration was causing many applications to crash, not just firefox

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.